Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

Just gonna bring this up from the last thread incase anyone forgot.

Uh, some bad news there I suppose :ohdear:

Haha, awesome.

I never liked Maroon 5, myself, thought not for entirely rational reasons. Something about the timbre of Levine's voice literally makes me nauseous, it's like a dog whistle.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Cracked is generally tolerable provided that you never, ever read a single thing from Gladstone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

Obligatory joke about Robocop having predicted how corporations would end up running everything :v:

Laugh all you like, it's the only way to hold back the tears.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

If they wanted to do that they'd fire Yahtzee. Until then they'll have enough site traffic to keep themselves afloat, though yeah, losing the two other big names that draw in traffic isn't painting a rosy picture for the site's future. What else do they have, Unskippable?

At this point I think Yahtzee sticking around officially qualifies as an act of charity. He could go independent without missing a step and has other business ventures to make up any lost revenue. Maybe he feels obligated to the place that gave him his first big break.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tracula posted:

Yeah, those are fair points and I was being a bit too harsh :v: It just does get tiresome at points to see SuperMechaGodzilla-ish posts about films sometimes.

Hbomberguy is a self-professed SMG wannabe so your exasperation is understandable.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

It's not very good parody if you have to pretend I'm saying something else, instead of simple facts. Try talking about my farts, that'll be more effective.

Your posting is already the topic of discussion.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

She's calling you autistic, which is hosed up.

If true.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Guys we have an entire anime forum for this

Dehumanize yourself and face to weeaboo.

i am tim! posted:

Goddamn, I'm glad the anime I latched onto in High School was .hack//SIGN. That one is alright, right? I mean, I'm pretty sure the worst thing to come out of that was a couple of grindy, dull video games.

.hack//SIGN's biggest crime was boredom. And even then it made up for that with bitchin' music.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
To Boldly Flee was the only special that I found sincerely entertaining at the time of watching, though there was at least one whole episode that could have been excised entirely (the one that's just an eight-minute sequence of Doug dressed as Robocop).

Also had Sad Panda, who was hilarious and not just in an ironic Internet way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think most people are really passionate about political ideologies. They're broadly content with the status quo, just so long as they don't think it's actively harming them and correlates to a nebulous idea of common sense. This is something that people who are, or people who live in the proverbial bubble, don't really understand or like. It's as Khrushchev is meant to have told Chairman Mao, "If you offer a worker a choice between revolution and a bowl of soup, he will always choose soup."

On the other hand, no compromise with the electorate, amirite?

As for South Park, I believe Trey Parker spelled out their position as, "I hate conservatives but I loving hate liberals," which is one I'm increasingly in sympathy with lately.

I mean, on one side, we have the DUP; on the other, we have Sinn Fein. I think the answer probably does lie somewhere in the middle there. :v:

American politics aren't Irish politics. A lot of people here, especially those on the right, have been so thoroughly conditioned by certain buzzwords or concepts that they hiss like wildcats whenever they come up. Say the word "Obama" in most places in the South and you can hear a loving pin drop. It's gotten so bad that one prominent Republican politician, Chris Christie (governor of my state and complete shitlord) suffered a huge hit to popular opinion because he was photographed being friendly with the Democratic president. In the aftermath of a disaster relief operation.

That's the main reason why South Park libertarianism is so reviled. "Truth is in the middle" doesn't work when you've got one side comprised of typical politicians and another full of paranoid schizophrenics in suits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PassTheRemote posted:

The fact that his patreon has not lowered faster boggles my mind. There seems to be a set of enablers that will not let him hit rock bottom.

One of the (many) downsides of crowdfunding is that it allows certain people to make a living almost entirely off of self-aggrandizement.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jsor posted:

How do you even review that? I do not envy him.

I take it he must only be doing the first act or something.

step 1: succumb to unfathomable madness

step 2: there is no step 2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

High Warlord Zog posted:

My problem with the video is that it feels really toothless, as if Yahtzee’s gone out of his way to avoid saying anything that’ll piss of the shitlords too much, hence four minutes of gameplay complaints, capped off with one minute of “both sides are wrong” spiel. Its bad criticism, and bad comedy (almost all of the jokes feel phoned in), and the unfortunate coincidence that its release coincides with a high profile mass shooting highlights how facile the whole thing is.

So you're offended that he didn't get offended enough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

I'd debate that Spoony's E3 outburst helped contribute to the announcement of XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and shoving what would become The Bureau quietly out the back door months later.

You overestimate Spoony's influence to a degree inexpressible by human speech.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Do you actually think this is true? Like, legitimately, you think a puppet show has contributed to anti-Arab sentiment? holy poo poo

Do you remember Dunham's act in the early oughts? He rode anti-Muslim sentiment like a fetid wave onto a beach of dollar bills. Guy's scum.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Please don't ever use your powers for evil.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Code Geass' noodle-people art style disturbs me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

MacIntosh has the word "radical" in his twitter handle, and self-identifying as "(a) radical" is highly comorbid with being an insufferable jerkass.

That's true for a lot of adjectives, really, but to go further would involve me basically just regurgitating my nuanced positions on identity politics and self-determination and that would bore everyone to tears.

Please don't be Watsonian at people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

No. This bullshit counter-jerk about how they are actually "good" movies is insane. You just want to be contrarian to the people who (rightfully) think they are bad movies.

I've noticed this trend of "Well, they aren't really as bad as people say they are" cropping up and it's insufferable. "Worst movies ever?" No, of course not. But yes, they are very bad films and no amount of you claiming they are good films will change that.

"An interesting story" come the gently caress on.

That's CineD's pasttime and you can stop it no more than you can stop the tides. Let it wash over you and move on.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I remember when the second Dragon Age came out and everyone on SA could not go five seconds without angrily pissing in Bioware's general direction, because in big nerd debates that don't have clear answers, SA is invariably partisan in the most obnoxious way possible.

The LP thread for that game was an interesting demonstration of mass psychosis.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jsor posted:

Season 1 of Marble Hornets is probably better than EMH, but as an entire series, I'd say EMH easily beats what MH became. I also don't get why some people think Night Mind's narration sounds weird, I find it kinda relaxing. :shrug:

He has a new video on That Poppy, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E

Titanic Sinclair seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from his Twitter and non-Poppy videos, though.

It's been a long time since I kept up with Slenderman stuff but EMH became so hilariously convoluted that Hideo Kojima would have checked out of it midway through.

The wiki alone looked like a discarded House of Leaves draft.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Playstation 4 posted:

He's just a man child Berniebro who's just gotta go around posting his 2edgy political self-consensus everywhere he touches.

Don't you know the primary was 666% stolen and all parties are bad sheeple? :downs:

It doesn't really have anything to do with politics. He used to post sincerely but after too many of his horrible, repellent, empty-headed opinions caught on with people he started doubling down to make it look deliberate. He's an idiot who's hated by everyone and that is okay.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

That very special Jimquistion we've all been looking forward to, probably

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS-LXvhy1Do

As someone who couldn't loving stand Sterling ten years ago I really like how much he's developed since then. If nothing else he's great at delivering complex statements in succinct and understandable language.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

I enjoy some of the music from it. It's just goofy enough to be enjoyable; I'm sure there are worse 90's cartoons, but its his opinion and all.

The pirate songs owned and that is a fact.

e: oh god drat it and now it's in my head, it's like the revenge of my grade-school years

Lyin', lootin', stealin'
Is the reason I'm a pi-rate!
Ransackin', pillagin'
Don't knock it 'til you've tried it!
Plunderin' and pilferin'
Make up a healthy diet!
Arrr, look at me
I'm doin' the Booty Boogie~

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 16, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
*extremely gabriel iglesiasly* "but it was funny, huh"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sam Sanskrit posted:

I'm not a 100 percent sure but I think that it varies from game to game.

it does, the God above God is usually referred to as the "Great Will"

He was also the one behind everything going to poo poo in Nocturne so he's definitely not benevolent in all portrayals

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
spongebob was delightful until the movie, then its downturn was immediate and precipitous

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"Pee-kwees?" Is that how Brits say "piques?" You people deserve Brexit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

watho posted:

I have a lot of nostalgia for Harry Potter due to being one of those who grew up reading it but holy poo poo have I gotten sick of hearing about it. Also, my favorite asinine bit of info that J.K dropped after writing the books is that apparently hufflepuff student engage in group masturbation sessions. :wtc:

I am willing to entertain the notion that most of these "bits of info" weren't entirely serious.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Book 7 stuck out to me as having some weird elements, like the titular Hallows and why they should matter when the focus has been on the horcruxes thanks to Book 6.

But they're definitely not bad books, and anyone who can claim they're outright awful is being smug.

WampaLord posted:

anyone who can claim they're outright awful is being smug.

WampaLord posted:

being smug.

Checks out.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

financially racist posted:

yahtzee is losing views because his reviews are exactly the same they have been for a decade. like, that's fine and i don't mind his style, but at some point i just lost interest. every once in a while a video of his pops up in my recommendations, i watch it, and it's like...yep this is sure the same stuff he was making ten years ago.

Most of his side businesses fell through years ago, as well. I don't know what else he's got besides the weekly reviews.

e: also he apparently moved to America last year? great timing there

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 22, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
New Devil design is way better than the old one anyway, I mean what was up with that head/body ratio, he looked like a god dang bobblehead

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

Oh, the latter exists, and has its own weird racial debates. Apparently there's a character based on Cab Calloway depictions that people are drawing as a typical hot white human guy,

he has a six-sided die for a head

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KayTee posted:

My favourite bunny-loaf-girl with the funny voice covers Resonance of Fate - which is a game I thoroughly enjoyed but that also convinced me to stop playing JRPGs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WwvSQ7cbGY

It's a REALLY fun game with great funny characters and a super cool setting. It also has a story but gently caress only knows what it is. I'm pretty sure (this is recalling from a while ago) the main story itself has next to nothing to do with the player characters.

Like - there's a super-important magical loli being exploited/cared for/creeped over by the game's main 'villain', and I'm pretty cure the PCs are never even made aware of their existence.

She's the secret boss at the end of the very difficult secret dungeon, and they're all "the hell are you" and she's all "I can kung-fu fight" and they're all "well guess it's time for us to die repeatedly."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

The other side of the parasocial interaction coin is that it can mess with the head of the celebrity in the same way it does with their fans. The fans may come to believe they have a new friend, but the celebrity believes they suddenly have thousands of new friends. And some of those friends are so loyal they’ll worship you no matter what you do, while others are so nit-picky they’ll complain no matter what you do. And they’re all relying on you to keep them entertained, week after week, month after month. I’ve heard it said that it feels like an immense amount of pressure.

In the off-chance I ever achieve my dream of being a bestselling author, I’m going the Thomas Pynchon route and staying as far away from the limelight as possible. Being the center of attention just isn’t worth the strain on your mental health.

Unfortunately being a leering attention sponge is near-required to survive in "creative" fields nowadays, it's all about brand-building and so on and etc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

:same:

Edit: I haven’t played Cave Story, does it hold up?

It’s a nice little open ended platformer/shooter, nothing about its core mechanics have really aged at all

Only downside is the really obtuse true ending route and that was always a problem

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
to boldly flee was bad but i still have decent memories of SadPanda's deadpan, though i have no idea who he was or whatever else he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
today i learned the word "leftiefur" was apparently a thing

• Locked thread