Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Yaws posted:

Spoony is a drat fine storyteller

I wouldn't consider this most recent Counter Monkey a great example of it, but yes.

If you want a great story, try his early Counter Monkey videos, or if you've got a decent chunk of time, his Thieves World videos in particular. That whole Thieves World story is amazing and legitimately me made consider finding an RPG group to join, because I had no idea tabletop games could be that loving crazy and intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

KKall posted:

3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4...

I didn't realize it before, but all I want in this life is an RLM/BHH crossover video. Preferably a Wheel of the Worst one, featuring:

- Phil Jones' Acrobatic One-Man Orchestra
- Blue
- Intermediate Locksmithing for Hobbyists

Obviously it would end with a fistfight over Boyhood.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Next they will be hailed as the true messengers of God!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Holy gently caress, this "game show" is badbadbad. The sheer number of sound issues alone is absurd. The thwack of Brad's cards hitting the ground after every drat question is just ridiculous, and there are so many things like that. Just that would be enough to make this show embarrassing, but there are issues with the filming, editing, lighting, scripting, performances and just general concept.

This has literally nothing going for it except Brad's considerable charisma. How annoying that TGWTG is wasting so much of his time on this bullshit when he could be doing literally any other project of his.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How could you say that and then not post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoqyGQgEp8

The people at Nabisco have done it again! They're coming up with creative ideas to build on America's favorite cookie, Oreos!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know if they count but I legit had to stop watching Video Games Awesome because Fraser is so dumb. He actually sees the world through a child's eyes and watching him play games with any kind of choice system involved is boring because he always picks the most immoral option and says "It's what needs to be done!"

While this was kinda bad in Walking Dead it's his Game of Thrones playthrough that made me really sick of it

I used to feel this way, but Fraser eventually won me over. I got into VGA with their Ocarina of Time playthrough, in which Fraser's occasionally hilarious and more often a frustrating idiot. The Phoenix Wright and Deadly Premonition playthroughs were what made me a fan, though. I appreciate the subtle efforts (camera adjustments, up-tempo play style, high-quality video/sound) he makes to improve the viewer experience, and the not-so-subtle efforts (voice acting, engagement with the chat, distracting from the game during boring parts with off-topic conversations) as well. Any time he's not playing a game, too, he's a lot more reasonable and well-spoken, and VGA makes a major effort to connect with their fans online and to organize convention meet-ups. Watching him gently caress up gets annoying, but I can't imagine how he maintains interesting conversation through hours and hours of gameplay. It's a trade-off, if he were focused more on the actual gameplay, it'd probably be a less interesting show.

I do miss when Ben was in all the videos though. He's my favorite, along with Kyle. Ben's much more willing to call Fraser out on his bullshit when he's being a douche than Becky, so the Fraser/Becky shows are really hit-or-miss.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Spoony is a sad motherfucker but that Thieves World story is still pretty amazing.

Thanks for reminding me this exists, I just blew a couple hours listening to it again. What an awesome story.

Spoony has turned into a gigantic moron who has lost all perspective on pretty much everything, but his archive rocks. Probably upwards of a hundred hours of amazing content. Phantasmagoria, SWAT 4, Ripper, FMV games, Ultima retrospective, most of Counter Monkey, FF VIII, Terror T.R.A.X., Yor...

Looked at overall, only Red Letter Media and Brad really compare in terms of sheer quantity of great stuff, although there are some people who will certainly catch up at this rate (like Kyle).

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Beefstew posted:

This needed to happen several pages ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKZtppbm_Q

I think I've crossed the event horizon into madness, because at this point I find the trailer legitimately, non-ironically hilarious.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

I feel like it's one of those things where you can see a kernel of a really interesting idea that, with a really good writer, could have been a loving awesome feud" Rikishi was super over then and a heel turn could have been really well done. The problem was it lasted, poo poo like a month? Then Austin went straight into a HHH feud and Rikish became a lovely midcard heel. The worst part is that we're VERY closer to Mania now so Austin being mega pissed at HHH and then teaming with him happen in an absurdly short amount of time

Mania X7 is loving amazing and I reccomend anyone who is even barely interested in wrestling check it out, but good lord aside from Austin's frankly amazing heel turn (his promo with JR on Smackdown is some of his best work ever . We enter into some dark times afterwards.

Oh poo poo, I need to look into this podcast. I was a kid and super into wrestling at that time. I still fondly remember characters like the Undertaker, Kane, the Rock, Triple H, Eddie Guerrero and Mick Foley, but there's a weirdly large dumb kid part of my heart that is still completely sold on Stone Cold Steve Austin being a gigantic world-conquering badass. His name still evokes the sound of glass breaking to me. Has the podcast done any shows going over the careers of specific wrestlers?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Decided to start watching SF Debris' show on the history of comic books after hearing recommendations for him here.

It's pretty decent, although I'm disappointed that it's very focused on the last couple decades of comics and there's very, very little about DC Comics (halfway through, at least). He mostly focuses on Marvel, along with Valiant and Image. In the eighth video, which I just watched, he blames someone's death by heart attack on a lovely Captain America comic, which is a little much.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I'm not saying that he missed the point of his series (yes, it's subtitled "The Rise and Fall of the Comic Empire"), I'm saying that I would have personally preferred a broader series that would have gone farther back in time.

Edit: It's honestly not very complicated. It's the same thing as saying, "I wish Person would review X. I like the way that Person approaches their reviews and would like to see them do X instead of Y."

surf rock fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 18, 2015

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Mr. Fowl posted:

He didn't actually blame the death on the comic. You're omitting some key language.

Quoting directly from the video, "It should be noted, and I'm actually being serious here, Rob Liefeld made a comic so bad, it may have killed a man."

Yes, he also says "The toxic environment at Marvel had destroyed a good man," but the way he tells the story (Gruenwald takes a preview comic of the new Captain America home and IMMEDIATELY DIES) is just silly. The toxic environment bit is probably right, the Captain America comic bit is silliness.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

KKall posted:

I hate to self-promote on this forum, but I just want to say that I'm very very proud of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH-E3LsLnaw

Great review. The idea that a language could lack a "to be" verb is ludicrous to me.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

DStecks posted:

I've been watching Max Landis's stuff, and on so many levels he's Spoony if he got therapy (and also became a successful screenwriter).

:monocle: drat, that's why I like Landis so much.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

DStecks posted:

Curtis Craig is still the only canonically bisexual man to be the sole player character of a game.

I was sure that this couldn't be true, but holy poo poo, it really is. That game is literally 20 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

That got me thinking about a different sci-fi space opera series with a huge world-building database that saw a switch in team for it's two sequels: Xenosaga. Except Xenosaga went back to the style of the first game for the ending instead of staying with the unpopular style of the second.

I would love love love to read or watch some kind of comprehensive explanation and analysis of the Xenosaga narrative and universe. I really enjoyed the games and thought I had a good grasp of things after the first one, but I had no idea what was going on by the end of the trilogy. I know it was supposed to be a longer series and the story got kind of a hackjob to fit it into three games, but I still had the sense that there was a coherent story there, just one that I didn't necessarily understand due to long gaps between playing each game and a lack of knowledge about Christianity, Gnosticism, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other things.

I want to go back to it, but I'm sure the gameplay hasn't aged well and I already probably devoted 120+ hours of my life to that series. I'm up for another 4-5 hours to finally understand the story, but not that much.

• Locked thread