Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ronk a Donk posted:

And Todd's got his "Top Ten Worst Hit Songs of 2014" out! It's a two-parter. Part 1: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/the-top-ten-worst-hit-songs-of-2014-part-1-7142479

I didn't pay any attention to pop at all this year, holy god at those DJ Mustard songs. I've never heard a producer who makes such samey-sounding songs ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ZakAce posted:

I'm not 100% sure that the 5SOS song has the worst line ever. Pointing out the brand of your girlfriend's undies is pretty bad, but it's not outright offensive like at least one line in, say, that Chris Brown song 'Deuces'.

Nonono, he's talking about the brand of HIS underwear while she is wearing them. It's a very clumsy-sounding line, although yeah that line in Deuces and HEFTY BAG are probably worse.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jack Gladney posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called the Star Wars Holiday Special. After, I'll give you milk and cookies and show you the empty box millions of kids got for Christmas.

You don't even need to bring the holiday special up, the Star Wars Prequels are significantly worse movies than either Matrix sequel.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jimbot posted:

when it's just Rich and Jack playing FTL or Isaac for the hundreth time interacting with the chat, it's just a boring slog.

excuse me but Jack and Rich playing FTL loving owns :getout:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the movie that actually deserves all the oscars is twister's revenge, for this and every other year

e: in all seriousness, do the Oscars even matter really or do people just look at them like they look at Grammys?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cyron posted:

I should see boyhood, i heard it was made over the coarse of 12 years.

the overall issue is that gamergate is intertwine with internet critics. people stand for or against it, talk about it all the time on twitter or make it a subject on a video. people like ainta are almost married to the subject just due to it nature. I think we did try to make it only a subject if it a subject to a video but it been a hot subject for the last 6 months.

wait what happened to this

Cyron posted:

i am done with this thread for a bit, i am going to a place where people are nicer to you for not agreeing with them like North Koria where i am sure the only thing close to gamergate is making a gate into a sport.

can't you at least stick to your word

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I like Joe's gaming controversy video last year, but hearing this poo poo about his video this year is disappointing. It's not helping that he's apparently throwing a fit at BroTeamPill for the copyright claim. I mean I'd be loving pissed if I got lumped with gamergaters too, and according to the BroTeam guy he tried to handle it in a more amicable way and got ignored.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cyron posted:

He wasn't targeting them, he posted a meme photo that have random photos as pro and anti GG. it good you want joe to be taken off the internet for not being anti gamergate. posting a DRMA fora disagreement is bullshit.

Good loving god you are an idiot. Please gently caress off, you said you were done with this thread so I really wish you'd actually keep to your word.

WickedHate posted:

Wait, so they asked him and Joe refuse to take it out or something before they filed the copyright claim?

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561410424240111616

Also

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/561573537195229184

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

Are Todd's video's longer than last years or is he splitting up his top 10 list this year because of add revenue?

I think the worst list was longer than normal, at least.

Cyron posted:

so this thread being happy joe video was taken down is good? is that respect and equality?

NOBODY EVER SAID THIS

Jesus loving Christ, stop putting words into people's mouths, if that's what you need to do to try and prove a point it means you have lost.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WickedHate posted:

Goddamn it, Joe. It's like everyone on CA now is either an rear end in a top hat or being chased off if they aren't. Well, LordKat and AA were assholes that left and was let go respectively, but that was a long time ago.

Apparently all BroTeam asked for was a disclaimer in the video description that he had nothing to do with GamerGate, and that request was ignored. I'm not sure why that was apparently so hard for Joe to do that it had to get to this level for him to do it, and apparently Joe kept emailing him a bunch after they'd already settled things and the DCMA was withdrawn.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gyges posted:

How you can watch it and sigh about Joe just not getting it, why isn't he anti-gamer gate, is beyond me.

I haven't watched it dude, it was taken down before I could. I was mostly commenting on why it was taken down and the immediate aftermath of it. It would have probably been a better idea to not have pictures of anyone representing either side to avoid exactly this sort of situation. His handling of a simple request was not very professional, and considering how much larger a fanbase Joe has than BroTeam (by a factor of ten), lumping BroTeam in with that side is something that could very much harm their reputation.

Senerio posted:

Reading their twitter stuff, the BroTeamPill guy comes off as a tool, even if he does have a point. Joe was apparently away from his computer, but he shouldn't have just grabbed a random image off the internet either.

BroTeam sounds like reddit personified, I have no real stake in their side at all. But even still, it was a poor decision on Joe's part all around. I tried watching one of their videos and it was basically American Zero Punctuation except significantly less funny, which yeah just ponder that for a few minutes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

He's also the same guy who posted about being utterly screwed over by Machinima a few months back, which he rightfully got a bit of sympathy for. A part of me kinda thinks that all this crap is all just a bit of a stab at getting some notoriety to replace the momentum he lost (mind you, making videos that weren't samey highlights of streams or pro-GG flotsam would also help with that...drat it, I used to like his stuff)

Yeah this was the extent of my knowledge of BroTeam before this poo poo. Between this and the current CA crap, it's pretty obvious that these sorts of video publisher type things are not long for this world.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jack Gladney posted:

Was Dick Tracy the last movie Warren Beatty was ever in?

How can you forget about Bulworth

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's kind of impressive that Bruno Mars had both a "Lazy Song" and "Uptown Funk" in him. He is large, and contains multitudes.

Of songs.

Forget Lazy Song, Grenade is an order of magnitude worse.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

imo he should have less distractions from One Hit Wonderland because that is quite probably my favorite series of videos on the internet.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm still waiting for him to do "What is Love?" by Haddaway.

This would be an excellent choice, as What Is Love is one of the best-remembered pop songs of the 90's for a goddamn good reason.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Vanilla Ice is not a one-hit wonder. He got famous enough to be in a Ninja Turtles movie and have a movie of his own.

Now see, if Todd does another pop-star movie, it needs to be Cool as Ice.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Hooray :toot:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, there's a new Star Wars movie out at the end of the year.

I'm not sure many people have particularly high hopes for a new Star Wars tbh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Beefstew posted:

New Star Wars actually looks really good so far. Like, it could still end up terrible, but almost everything they've shown/announced has been good. More practical effects, real sets, puppets, no EU bullshit, relative unknown actors, female and black leads, screenwriter from Empire Strikes Back, fight choreography done by the guys who did The Raid movies, Andy Serkis, and an outright REFUSAL to accept George Lucas's script suggestions. It's definitely going to play it safe; it won't bring the series in a new direction, and it won't equal the original trilogy. There's gonna be a lot of references and fanservice, just like the Abrams Star Trek, but honestly, Abrams was more cut out to make a Star Wars movie than a Trek movie anyway. I've got high hopes.

Jurassic World, on the other hand...

I was cautiously optimistic before the second Abrams Star Trek movie. Into Darkness was so lovely, however, that it really dulled any optimism I had.

It can't possibly be anywhere near as bad as the prequels, but I dunno. Maybe I've just outgrown Star Wars or some poo poo, but I cannot even force myself to look forward to it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kunster posted:

I guess you could count ClassicGameRoom and the likes of ToastyFrog there.

I enjoy CGR reviews just because Mark is a lot happier and less cynical than most internet reviewers, even if he doesn't offer deep insight or anything. I also trust his word on 2600 games more than most since he was actually around when that poo poo was new.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's been a long time so I'm probably misremembering but I think Jack just wanted to keep violent games out of the hands of minors which doesn't sound so terrible but he was always going on the news after every school shooting to blame it all on video games.

Jack Thompson wanted a lot more than just keeping games out of kids' hands. He is a loving lunatic who would do poo poo like write letters to the makers of Grand Theft Auto asking them how they felt about being the people who would destroy humanity and other such nonsense. He also lost his license by being a complete cock in court, and before then would randomly just insult people he disagreed with.

So really, a perfect fit for gamergaters to welcome into their ranks if you think about it.

e: oh eh also was responsible for one of the few times Penny Arcade ever did anything worthwhile, when he said he'd donate 10k dollars to a charity of choice if a game developer made a game where you killed the people who made it. Several did so and he never donated, so Penny Arcade did and labeled the donation as something like 'because Jack Thompson won't', and he threatened legal action against PA for it. Seriously, just go dig through the man's history and everything he said and did when he still had the power and platform to do so, it's complete insanity.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 13, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I never really enjoyed their comic but why are people so hard on Penny Arcade? Haven't they raised a ton of money for charity and stuff?

One of the dudes behind it has a reputation as being kind of a dickbag, and the community kinda sucks. That said, I don't really hate PA, I just find the comic itself awful more than anything. It also kinda laid the foundation for 'comic based around guys playing video games' that gave us poo poo like CAD, as it was the first of its kind.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rebochan posted:

More specifically, he's the got that got 2 Live Crew arrested in Florida by getting a judge to declare "Nasty As They Wannabe" obscene.

And apparently used to portray himself as Batman while doing it.

Models himself after fictional characters in pop culture to portray himself a crusader? Yea, no wonder Gamergate loves this guy!

Well I hadn't heard of this part before :laffo:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Franco Potente posted:

Next the cat will be hailed as the true messenger of God!

I can't believe this cat may control the fate of the middle east

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Asuron posted:

Just watch the Ishtar trailer over and over.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DStecks posted:

...What the gently caress happened to Mike? :stare:

star wars episode 1

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Compendium posted:

Monster A-Go-Go is the one episode I absolutely cannot get through.

And as Jay Bauman so kindly showed us, Monster a Go-Go is not even close to the worst thing Rebane made. Twister's Revenge is worse than any movie ever featured on MST3K and Jay is the greatest monster who ever lived for streaming it to unsuspecting victims.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Girl in Gold Boots

This episode doesn't get enough love when discussions about the best of MST3K come up. I HAD A PRETTY MIIIIIIND!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KayTee posted:

Deadly Mantis was my favorite - but that's one that's fallen into copywright hell AFAIK.

I remember the first episode I saw - my friends and I were channel surfing at 1am and just happened to trip over it. I never found out what the film was but it had a running gag wherein one of the characters was a hypnotist (or something) so Tom Servo would constntly ad-lib "SLEEEEEPP!" to lines throughout. Never found it again. :(

This is most likely The Undead, which is a pretty good episode overall. It's also a Roger Corman movie, so it's one of those you can watch outside of the context of the show without wanting to die.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Gianthogweed posted:

Never saw this interview with Joel, Trace and Frank.

https://youtu.be/fe9y9d8Ue8E

According to Frank, their criteria for including a movie on the show was that you could follow the story. So uh...how the gently caress did any of Coleman Francis' movies make it in, then :psyduck:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 20, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Keromaru5 posted:

I'm still hoping he'll do something--anything--on Warren Zevon. He was my favorite non-Weird Al musician growing up, and I'd like to see Todd's take on him.

Warren Zevon is too well-known and respected a musician for him to be a great subject for a OHW episode, I think.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poparena posted:

I wouldn't count him out entirely, Todd does seem to be running out of Halloween-themed OHWs.

Possible, but I still think it'd not be a very good OHW. Anyone who cares enough about music to watch something like OHW surely already knows everything there is to know about Zevon, which to me kinda defeats the purpose of a show that's supposed to be about one-hit wonders that nobody really thinks about or knows much about.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mischalaniouse posted:

Comment on the new Best of the Worst:

I'm struggling to recall any moment in this video where they acted like "sjws" other than saying that Cynthia Rothrock portrayed a strong female character in the movie.

Acknowledging sexist cultural attitudes towards females in movies is as good a reason as any to call someone an sjw

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So was there one defining event that's causing this mass exodus of producers from The Escapist or is it just people leaving?

They hired a complete shithead.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PassTheRemote posted:

Confused Matthew is objective the same way Moviebob is Objective. He is a relic from the Post AVGN boom where everyone was a caustic reviewer who hated everything.

Not that I am necessarily defending them, but the simple fact is that people would rather watch videos of someone talking about why they hate something rather than why they like it. There's more room for comedy material when you're explaining why you dislike something, and speaking from my own experience, explaining why you don't like something is a lot easier than explaining why you do. It's no surprise that negative reviewers draw larger audiences, even if a lot of them kinda suck at what they do.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Testekill posted:

I'd also love Tomorrow by Silverchair since they were like 15 when it topped the charts and they look back on it unfavourably.

I think Anna's Song was as big/bigger of a hit from these guys, so they wouldn't count as a One Hit Wonder.

gently caress Anna's Song, for the record.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Rebochan posted:

Feminist Frequency announced a new video out this week.

I expect the latest thread invasion to be as enlightening as the last one.

This interests me a lot more than her other videos have.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Testekill posted:

I'm going by just success on the American charts. Although Abuse Me hit number 4 apparently which is a surprise since I didn't think much of it. Also apparently Pure Massacre & Anthem for the year 2000 were top 20 on the Billboard mainstream rock charts.

I live in America and seem to remember Anna's Song being played a whole lot on my local rock stations. Maybe the stations where I lived just really liked that song, or maybe I'm just misremembering because I hated that song so much v:shobon:v

Aside from that and Tomorrow, I have no recollection of a single other one of their songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kalos posted:

Guy 1: I haven't watched any of the six preceding movies
Guy 2: Me neither.
Guy 1: This movies is bad because I don't know what's happens
Guy 2: Agreed
Goons: RLM is the best evar!!!!1

How could anyone watch that video and get this out of it :psyduck: