Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

when the new thread is finally made can we, instead of barring botl from posting in it, just ban anyone who actually responds to them

seriously why in the blue hell do you people keep engaging with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Linear Zoetrope posted:

I hate all of you for telling me about LGR by the way.

lgr videos have convinced me that i need at the least a 386 or 486 to dick around with, and maybe a more powerful windows 98 machine as well.

i love lgr but clint is a really bad influence on dopes with poor impulse control and a weakness for nostalgia.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

corn in the bible posted:

You could play morrowind in Oblivion, which doesn't fix a lot of things but does definitely make it easier to engage with.

counterpoint: much like everything else in oblivion, that game engine is loving gutter trash in every possible way. i tried morroblivion and it was complete dogshit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yardbomb posted:

I feel like that's sorta one of the things that makes them so memorable and leads to having so much to talk about. When a bunch of games keep squashing stats or making builds mostly pointless, cutting down on choices & consequences type stuff, cutting down on dialogue mattering, giving you an obnoxious quest compass, putting everything on the beaten path, everyone ends up having much more samey playthroughs and that much less to storytime about.

i can kinda see this. i always wished morrowind was more accessible just because when i first played it, i hated it, but it eventually became my favorite game ever. i totally understand why a lot of people bounce off it before 'getting it', and i think it's a shame because the poo poo morrowind does right is poo poo no other game before or since has done anywhere near as well as morroind did and i think everyone should experience the game in its entirety at least once. but yeah, i guess the only real way to 'streamline' the experience would also probably rob the game of a whole lot of its soul, and besides that i didn't like the streamlining that bethesda did to oblivion or skyrim at all.

Yardbomb posted:

You can make the world more interesting, but the terrible putty faces are forever.

*arranges items nicely on table, sits down on chair, items explode off table in every direction*

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

John Murdoch posted:

I wish my attention span worked worth a drat because New Vegas is entirely my kind of poo poo and I suspect I could get over the hump (and assemble the right mods) to finally try Morrowind but the longer a game is the more likely I am to get distracted and just drop it. And then it becomes a weird problem because starting entirely from scratch would be a pain, with no guarantee that I wouldn't fall off of it again (and probably sooner since I'm repeating stuff) while jumping right back in would suck about as much because I'll have forgotten everything. :(

new vegas is stupid good. i kinda obsessively played that game for a few months pursuing all the endings and doing everything in the game just because the world hooked me so well. it was so well-constructed narratively and in terms of world building compared with everything bethesda has done post-morrowind. i'd kill for obsidian to develop the next elder scrolls game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lornekates posted:

The only good game is Dig Dug.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that is another thing morrowind gets right. it just dumps you in a lovely fishing town and tells you to go to a place, and after just one short quest the dude explicitly tells you to do other poo poo for a while. that's if you ever actually go to talk to him at all, which i and most everyone i know did not do at first and instead just joined random factions and forgot about the main quest entirely for like, a hundred+ hours.

the way skyrim and oblivion just railroad you at the start makes replaying them irritating at best.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the problem with the games isn’t that they’re bad at presenting exploration for the player to do. The problem with them is that they’re serious technical messes with terrible writing so most of the value that comes from the experience is what the player makes from it, not what the developers actually built.

I can’t objectively prove that Fallout 3 and 4 aren’t well written (they are objectively technically deficient tho), but I’m just saying that “this game is bad” isn’t the same as “I don’t like this game.” I mostly enjoyed my time with Fallout 4 for all its faults, and it was the settlement system that ultimately drove me away, not the terrible writing.

skyrim is not great at presenting exploration to the player. like oblivion, the dungeons look extremely samey and the over-reliance on levels loot instead of unique artifacts makes actual exploration wear out its welcome very, very fast. the exploration in post-morrowind elder scrolls games has been my biggest issue with them.

mind, i did still like skyrim and i will certainly say it was better than oblivion in this (and every other) regard, but the exploration still never really felt worthwhile. considering exploration was the thing that made morrowind for me, that's kind of a big deal. it's a large part of why, despite me having enjoyed my one playthrough of skyrim, i've never been able to go back to it at all despite trying twice. meanwhile i still revisit morrowind a few times a year, and still find real cool unique poo poo i'd never seen before even though i've been playing the game for some 15 years.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i'm watching fredrik knudsen's live reading/reaction to the channel awesome document and holy moly y'all need to watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yIjg17A6Oo

e: but don't read the chat 'cause it is real bad

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 5, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i had not read the 'apology'

'we sincerely regret you felt that way'

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

after that document came out detailing the poo poo michaud and the walkers have pulled over the years came out, anyone not bailing from channel awesome kinda creeps me out to be honest. even more so after that loving joke of an 'apology' they put out.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lornekates posted:

So, what are the chances that CA holds another huge talent-pickup?

Will they get anyone? Will the site just be full of naieve 15-year olds who don't have the real-world experience or maturity to steer clear of a bad deal-- because EXPOSURE IS AWESOME and they'll be the next $1,000,000 You Tube Star?

channel awesome becoming the new machinima would be hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Only Lowtax's Gaming Garbage can save them now.

please welcome the newest members of the channel awesome family, retsuprae!

• Locked thread