Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mraagvpeine posted:

What song was Todd playing at the beginning?
'Timber' with Ke$ha and Pitbull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Trying to figure out why one of those background guys in that Chris Brown video has a weird cartoon CGI head over his real head.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

But the diffrence is that Star Wars still has this die hard fan base after all these years and new media is still being made for it. What was the last thing made for The Matrix?
The last thing I remember Matrix-related was when they shut down that MMO. It's a pretty dead franchise, surprisingly, considering how huge it was at the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do they hate it so much? The original review boiled down to it being a neat gimmick that turned out boring. Did their fans jump down their throats about it or something? Or are they just infuriated that other people like it?
I don't think they hate it that much, really. Although I appreciate them using the backlash for comedy purposes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

This has likely been discussed, but is the ongoing influx of Patreon users indicative of Blip/etc simply not paying the bills, simple greed, or a mix of both?
Blip was not really paying anything worthwhile.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PassTheRemote posted:

It's probably people pulling their patreons because he is so slow at video making.
His last 'review' was November 18th, so yeah I can see why people are frustrated. If anything is output is way lower since the Patreon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Didn't Doug want to stop doing NC after To Boldly Flee, but the stuff he really wanted to do like Demo Reel didn't get much in the way of hits? So if the quality is suffering it's at least partially because he doesn't really want to do it. I know James Rolfe slowed down on doing regular AVGN videos because he got tired of the over the top gimmick parts of the character. Plus he's been doing that for a decade at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

RLM's Previously Recorded takes a look at the new release The Order 1886.

http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-the-order-1886/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah a lot of that spawns from the term being co-opted from Tumblr, when before Gamergate it seemed mostly aimed at people who were the kind you mentioned, taking offense about the most minor of things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess he doesn't do much more than basic research on those kinds of films? I have no idea how he misses some of these things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's done Vlogs that are longer than some films, so that's probably what you would get because he never finishes anything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah if you followed her on Twitter she was doing all sorts of different work that made it hard to do videos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I hadn't heard that before...I was under the impression that the fans hated Demo Reel and the lack of new NC episodes was hurting the site's ad hits, so that led to him going back to it. I'm glad at least he wanted to do it?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hogan is not his real last name guys.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Overdrawn is a great one.

I also love Pumaman.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tracula posted:

On a different note someone really needs to make a bottle_toss.gif from the latest Best of the Worst because that's the best thing next to pizza toss from Breaking Bad :allears:

It cracked me up reading last week that Vince Gilligan had to plead to BB fans not to go to the actual Walter White house and throw pizzas on the roof anymore. Apparently that's become a thing there for fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh thank Christ, a new Best of the Worst, save us from this, Rich Evans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NTaoheLMvM
I love the stealthily hidden Rich Evans doll and the Reagan photo on a stick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pretty ridiculous that you guys have to pay like that. Another consequence of the law being behind the times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeahhh...I think the smart people jumped ship from that mess just in time....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Guys we have an entire anime forum for this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr. Plinkett returns to talk about the Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uSIKzPmik

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I'll defend the first new Trek forever, I still think that's a super solid Trek story.

Darkness...nah man. Like, I don't hate it like a lot of people, and I'll often wind up basically devil's advocating it becasue most of the trekkies bitching about it are focusing on dumb stuff like "LENS FLARE OMG" instead of like, 'hey remember when Spock had a screaming emotional breakdown and totally was going to murder a dude and also remember how tribble blood was an actual plot point, like a major plot point in this story about Khan and the morality of Starfleet and poo poo?' but I have no love in my heart for that movie.
I thought STID was decent at times, but it's completely unnecessary for Cumberbatch's character to need to be Khan. It could have been any one of the other Augments instead. That and the 3rd act "let's just remake WoK but swap roles" felt super shoved in and embarrassing. It doesn't work that well either, since it's really hard to do a film with Khan as the main villain, when this version of Kirk and Khan have never previously met. The whole premise for WoK is Khan getting revenge on Kirk for stranding him on a planet which turns into a desert after a supernova or whatever, which kills his wife. None of that happens here.

The problem is that Abrams/the studio/the writing team decided that they needed to have a recognizable villain, and since TOS' biggest one is Khan, they went with that. Even though they used an original one for ST09. I wish they had explored more the idea of how the changes to the timeline/destruction of Vulcan has altered the history we previously knew. We see that a bit with a rogue Admiral building a supership, which is at least a start, but most of the message gets lost between action scenes. I think my main problem with the new films is that (with some exception in the 1st film) they've lost the identity of what Star Trek actually is. At it's core ST is supposed to be an optimistic view of the future, showing how humanity puts aside its differences to move out into the galaxy and explore space. Instead, STID literally tells you in its title that it's going to be dark and brooding.

It's really too bad, because that prologue in STID where they are actually doing something you would expect in TOS is very very good. Too bad it's all downhill from there.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Thats a moment I wish they cheated again, just so they can watch the Y2K video.
At least they will get to it eventually. I don't think there's much that feels more dated now than a Y2K video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I got too old for those books when they really got dark near the end of the series.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I don't understand who is paying him at this point. He's just doing video logs and not what he originally planned to do. Didn't he also raise money to do a film like Linkara is doing?

But his stuff is just depressing now, which is sad since from about 2007-2010 he was probably the best of the reviewers when it came to writing jokes and comedic timing in his videos.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm seeing several reviewers on Twitter saying that Blip may be shutting down? Not seeing a source though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Did he smell like he hadn't showered since 2008?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Let's discuss whether this was an inevitability, or an act of self-destruction through stupidity on Blip's part.
I think it had been brought up before that Blip's days were numbered when they got purchased previously

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bad Wolf posted:

SFDebris update. His show will continue, just anywhere but Youtube. He's looking into options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icyb91mf1JI

Poor bastard sound distraught, I don't blame him.
Yeah YouTube won't work for him...Paramount is pretty aggressive in removing Star Trek stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Miller and Lord are doing a Han Solo film for 2018.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/entertainment/star-wars-han-solo-prequel-movie-feat/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love how they successfully showed how current era Adam Sandler films are an excuse for him (and his friends) to get a free studio-provided vacation that he can write off as a business expense

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Adam Sandler's previous movie Blended bombed pretty badly, but I figure this one will make more money. It is funny to see those leaked Sony emails where even the studio execs know he's got a sweetheart deal that makes no sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

You guys might wanna brace yourselves then, Half in the Bag's next episode will cover Pixles.
Here it is:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-pixels/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rebochan posted:

Speaking of Todd, new Cinemadonna for however long Blip is still online:

http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-dangerous-game-7207920
Clearly Madonna never knew what the hell she was doing when it came to choosing film roles. What a bizarre choice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That's basically what this thread is for, Kyle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jsor posted:

Y'know, now that you mention it, are we sure Davis Aurini isn't in charge of the Brotherhood of Nod?

He's more like Diet Kane.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey, there's a new wheel of worst up!

That's one youtube show that probably won't have to worry about copyright notices.
Link for anyone who needs it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtnb81OhV4

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

SF Debris mentioned looking into self-hosting his videos but apparently his videos alone use over 100 TB of data per month which he got quoted at $9k (each month). I'm sure that within 10 years those costs will come down to a reasonable amount and people who want to skirt copyright can just self-host. Alternatively reviewers could just publish their content via BitTorrent to spread out the bandwidth use, though obviously that would have a negative impact on viewership.

Edit: I got that from this video but on listening to it again it doesn't sound like he was specifically self-hosting but rather paying for space on an existing video host. Either way 100 TB is still a lot for now.
He did post this encouraging thing a few days back:

quote:

Charles Sonnenburg ‏@sfdebris Aug 20

All the old videos will indeed be back.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I also watched the Spoony riff of After Last Season....and it was bad. Mainly because it's almost impossible to riff on something that long where over 60% of what you're watching is a screen saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Leal posted:

Whats funny is going back to watch some of Spoony's old videos and watching his ask spoony ones, where he specifically says he doesn't want money cause it causes expectations of his work. Now he directly asks for money and doesn't follow up on the expectations of his work!
I'm beginning to think that the original was abducted by aliens and replaced with an inferior clone around 2012 or so.

• Locked thread