Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Utritum posted:

There is a new Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage out; this time on the exploration of unconformable subjects in video games, mostly regarding characters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

This video was released in 2012. Did you mean to link to another video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

There were also Sharpies which are Skinheads Against Racial Prejudice. For the Australians here Magda Szubanski was a Sharpie and her Character Michelle was sort of inspired by that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=simatCov_SM

*edit. Actually there were apparently two entirely different groups of people called Sharps or Sharpies and they have no relation to each other whatsoever so just kindly ignore everything I just said. :)

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 24, 2015

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

New Half in the Bag looks at Jupiter Ascending and Battlefield Earth because why not.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jupiter-ascending-and-battlefield-earth/
For lovers of fart jokes.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Utritum posted:

I think what was most telling about Bob is that he jumped to the defense of Metroid: Other M ("You just don't understand it because it is Japanese and not a FPS! And everyone knows that FPS is a genre exclusively for stupid, unsophisticated dudebros, which makes Other M better than Prime by default. :smug:") and Sucker Punch ("No, you see, it is actually an empowering feminist film but it is so deep and subtle that you totally won't get that unless you're smart like me! :smug:")

I don't know anything about games because I'm horrible but I thought Other M was the American version and people were upset because those filthy gaijin ruined a good series. Or have I mistaken that for Silent Hill/Resident Evil? Or all of the above? Anyway Sucker Punch is still a godawful movie.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

echopapa posted:

I hope I don’t restart the terminology debate by saying “midget.” Because my most recent review is about a midget spy from the Philippines. It’s For Y’ur Height Only.

I'm sure you have seen both of these but I'm posting two documentary recommendations anyway.

The Search for Weng Wenghttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEYnui9r_tA
A doco about the lead actor in For Your Height Only.

Machete Maidens Unleashedhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDo-CWfe8Cw This trailer is full of nudity btw.
This one is about the exploitation cinema of the Philippines and is directed by the same guy who did the recent Cannon films documentary and another on Ozploitation.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Half in the Bag looks at the South African film Chappie starring Hugh Jackmans glorious mullet.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-chappie/

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

That was partly why they didn't want to make Corky a dude, because that story..is hardly new. It's not exactly a unique plot, but there's nothing wrong with doing "Basic movie plot...WITH LESBIANS/GAY GUYS/TRANSPEOPLE!" once in a while, because...after all, it's good to have some LGBT movies that aren't *just* about being LGBT. Bound is silly, but it strikes a pretty good balance between not ignoring the characters' LGBT status, but also giving the characters an actual storyline that doesn't necessarily just fall into LGBT cliches. Which is not to say that you can't make a good movie about coming out or facing homophobia or whatever, but one doesn't necessarily want all LGBT movies to be about that.

I think my favourite coming out movie is the Swedish film loving Amal by the same director as We Are the Best about the all girl punk band. But yeah, there are very few characters in movies who are just incidentally lgbt. Same problem with indigenous people in Australian cinema, they only exist to highlight racism/social issues which means we only ever have very shallow understandings of their characters.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

Inspector Rex was really big in Australia! I wouldn't be surprised if it made up a big chunk of the SBS ratings. There's even apparently a long-form parody of it, Inspector Herring, done by one of our comedy treasures, Shaun Micallef.

Also, apparently there's even more spin-offs than I originally thought. Not only did they do a baby Rex one, they also did one based on the uptight nerd detective Stockinger. I haven't seen it so I can't vouch for its quality.

Inspector Herring was unfortunately just a series of mock commercials played during his SBS show Newstopia.

But the Late Show (the Australian sketch show) did have Charlie the Wonderdog, though that was more a spoof on Lassie and Skippy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukqt7-2AGaE

*edit. Oh wait he did an actual episode/movie? I had no idea.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 15, 2015

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Also for fans of SBS their online service is currently running The Story of Film, which is an excellent TV documentary series and well worth a watch. I think Kyle has referenced it a few times.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I'm going to guess Adelaide. There are more jokes about that city then Canberra, Darwin and Hobart combined.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Mine is Joan Jett - I Love Rock'n'Roll. At least it is in the American charts, don't know about the Australian.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Yeah, I just saw Mad Max: Fury Road so at first I thought I was being snarky and then I realized I was just stupid. A better question would be why, in your opinion, does your nation lend itself to post-apocalyptic films such as the Mad Max series.

Its like a national psyche/paranoia thing. There are certain fears that are easily recognisable amongst people of a certain country and film makers love to capitalise on that. Japan for instance is still producing a lot atomic bomb related media.

In Australia its vehicular death. There are some parts of the country where the percentage of young males killed in car accidents is roughly the same as that faced by soldiers in the trenches of WW1.
George Miller was a medical doctor and saw alot of these horrific accidents up close and wanted to make what was essentially a car crash movie. And if you look at the original Mad Max you can totally see it, especially compared to the other Mad Max films. The original has the most devastating un-comic book like crashes in the series and that really resonated with a lot of people. The post apocalyptic element was initially just a nice backdrop for the crashes but was eventually fleshed out and become more of the focus in the later ones.

And of course there is the age ol classic of "those darn kids don't follow the rules".

In Peter Weirs film The Cars that Ate Paris a town is cut off from the rest of world in part because the kids terrorise the roads in their death machines. The VWs in Fury Road are a homage to that films iconic vehicle.
And in Dead End Drive In the government lures unemployed kids into drive in theatres where they are instantly locked up to prevent them from running amok in wider society.
So yeah all of those films and a few others touch on crazy kids in cars killing themselves.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

There was a documentary on car culture in the north of Tasmania, and some of these kids were closing their eyes while going around corners because it was the only excitement they could get in their lives. This is the sort of feeling or idea that films like Mad Max are trying to bring out. You don't just drive a car because it gets you from A to B, you drive because it feels good, its exciting and the more dangerous it gets the better.

Obviously this doesn't describe everyone in the country but its nonetheless a highly recognised concept that people just get it when they see the Night Rider trying to run down a woman with a pram.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

And of course you don't need to know any of this to enjoy these films much in the same way you don't need to know about Japan and the bomb to like or even get Akira or Godzilla. Its just a nice layer to the film and the context in which it was made.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Jsor posted:

So what you're saying is that Mad Max will make no sense 10 years after Google Cars are mandatory.

That would be the apocalypse.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think I'll avoid watching either of those two recently linked videos.

That sounds more like an Australian ideal. Which..come to think of it, why didn't Australia have a Baywatch style show about lifeguards? It would have made an absolute shirtload of sense, considering that there's a pretty big surf lifesaving culture here and a far higher percentage of the population lives on the coast as compared to the US.
I guess that was why they had the random Australian life guard.

Well there is Bondi Rescue but that is reality TV that has actual people actually drowning so maybe not so comparable.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

e X posted:

Speaking of pawns, is there actualyl a HiTB for Jurassic World? Because I had a hell of a time with that movie, as terrible as it is.

Pretty sure it has been posted before but here it is again cause I'm bored.

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-jurassic-world-and-jurassic-park-commentary-track/

And here is the latest one
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-bag-terminator-genisys/

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

watho posted:

What's the origin of the Ishtar trailer thing? I know it's from RLM but not what specifically.

Edit: I know that it's an actual movie trailer but the references started somewhere.

It started on their Star Wars Christmas special (the first part), no one wanted to talk about the film so they just kept replaying the Ishtar trailer and it sort of grew from there.

Edit. Why do I know this?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real punchline to that movie is it's actually just based on some guy's short internet video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou8vRWTSsJo

Pixels was better when it was Doomsday Arcade on the Escapist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYW6SY6MIOw

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

New Zealand do some of best PSAs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8KAaf45g5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWirGxV7Q8

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm kind of amazed some internet denizen hasn't done this at some point.

Someone has reviewed stabbing other people so we're getting close.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6UE-nvNUuo

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Celery Face posted:

I went and looked up the video and hoo boy, it's pretty much the British version of Get Down by B-4-4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvjLgjtJKsc

Speaking of one hit wonders with weird, uncomfortable music videos, I must have blocked this one from memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNKLn0A-1CM

Goddamit, I just managed to wipe both of those songs from memory, along with the name of Nikki Webster and you just come along and plant it back in again.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Fine Bros are just a big advert now anyways. One of their recent videos is just about how amazing Netflix is. I'm pretty sure you are supposed to clearly say that your product is advertising somewhere within the content itself but maybe thats just Australian law (or maybe they really weren't paid in which case it was just a lovely video).

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I can't believe I was actually excited to see the Dungeons and Dragons movie back in the day. Now that is a terrible movie. Though really, and the same goes for your Mortal Kombats and whatever elses, what really could you have done with a movie where the source material basically has no structured story.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Everyone shut up and watch the latest Every Frame a Painting instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UE3jz_O_EM

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

Kim Justice presents a ludicrously detailed and well researched 47 MINUTE documentary style look at Ocean Software: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0TE927j4cs

Oh and expect one review of that level of detail every week this month from looking at the schedule she posted in an earlier video. The sheer amount of effort Kim puts into these videos is absurd and every single one of them is amazingly watchable and interesting.

Aww, I waited the whole video for a mention of TFX but it never came. I remember that game had heaps of buzz around it back in the day. Though I just looked it up on Wikipedia and it has a whole 2 lines so maybe it wasn't as big as I thought. Still a great video all the same and incredibly well researched.

Game also had an amazing soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFxoVf8Ihak

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 8, 2016

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I'm an old foreign man can someone please explain what people are meaning when they say anti-robocop. Assuming it has nothing to do with the film.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Maybe people should just leave children's TV for the children. I mean, I'm sure my parents hated the crap I used to watch as a kid too.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Kim Justice has another excellent documentary up, this time on Psygnosis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvYlxnHOY-Q

I'm always impressed by the sheer amount of research that Kim puts into these videos. And to think she releases one just about every week. How does the bastard keep it up?

The game I associate most with Psygnosis, other than Lemmings of course, is Ecstatica. Did you ever play that Kim?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Moebius also did work with Jodorosky for an added layer of WTFness to his work. The Incel for instance, which if you love comics and the bizarre you should read.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I'm a bad person and I apologise to everyone. Except for all the women. gently caress them

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

So when I first read this, I thought they were talking about this Ziggurat, but then I realized that they were talking about an iOS game, so I looked it up and I found a video of the game.

This is the French New Wave answer to AAA games.

But then I hear the narrator mention Action Button. At first, I thought they were talking about the review, but no; this game was developed by Tim Rogers. Action Button published a review of their own game where they call it 'French New Wave action video game fan art' and give it four stars. :psyduck:

"French New Wave action video game fan art" is one reason why gaming will never be considered worthy of serious discussion by anyone worth a drat.

I hate the word "pretentious" because its usually said by idiots about something not at all pretentious but holy gently caress almighty that might have to be the worst term ever ejaculated and I now support Jack Thompson.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

ElNarez posted:

uh what

any worthwhile artform has to, at some point, bring unscrutable, unbearably pretentious and ultimately alienating forms of critique with it

as a point of fact, the French New Wave was started by incredibly pretentious movie critics who got into making movies of their own

plus, Ziggurat is a super loving good video game that makes you feel like the conductor of an orchestra of robot death

I'm not suggesting it isn't a good game but I am saying that term makes it look so.
I'm also fine with games being critiqued by tossers it's just that ideally that critique would be married with gaming and not cinema (or art but that's a whole planet of worms).

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

The latest Kim Justice bio-doc on Gremlin is really good especially if you like obscure English game history.

I find it strange that Australia never really got many of the games Kim talks about despite that my country tends to import most of its culture from the motherland. I guess many of them were basement coders in a time before the internet made distribution easy but even so. I've been gaming since the mid eighties and I don't think I have ever even seen a Spectrum before. My school had BBC Micros and Acorns though.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

I've only ever seen one film set in the city where I live, Hobart Australia, and that film was some PoS scyfy channel crap. It was hilarious seeing characters walk into one building and see another from the inside, or driving down one street to arrive a destination the other side of town. It was like this was a part of most peoples movie going experiences and I had just never noticed it before. It made me wonder how people from LA or NYC or wherever else movies are generally made are not eternally frustrated.

In other words, nice video Kyle.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

bbf2 posted:

Dude, there's a major motion picture out right now primarily set in Hobart Australia, it's nominated for a bunch of Oscars and stuff including Best Picture. It's called "Lion" with Dev Patel and Nicole Kidman.

Completely forgot about that. I'll get around to watching it one day.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I think I remember trying Crusader Kings 2 at one point, and I remember that the in-game tutorial didn't even explain a tenth of what you needed to know. I remember finding a 'How-To' video series where someone ran through a game to teach you what you needed to know. I remember watching through half of it, then dropping it for whatever reason.

They look like the kind of thing where it would be fun to come up with scheme and watch them fall together, but the learning curve intimidates me from picking one up.I had thought about buying Sengoku when I first came across it, but some of the reviews for it weren't real positive.

Hearts of Iron IV is by far the easiest of the Paradox grand strategy games to pick up. Having said that the "tutorial" still sucks arse and it is basically mandatory to watch at least one introductory lets play to get it. But once you understand the basics its quite simple really.

What really irks me about Paradox games other than their abysmal tutorials is the insane amount of DLC for each game. I think Crusader Kings 2 has like $300 worth of the bloody stuff now.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 31, 2017

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

A game set in WW2 Borneo would be great. Play as a native who is recruited by an anthropologist within Z Special Unit to headhunt the Japanese using traditional weapons. It would be like the Predator campaign in AVP2.

Anyway, does anyone know much about this RedPill feature length documentary that's just come out? As much as I want to learn how the Mens Rights movement went from a small bunch of people campaigning for fairer custody outcomes in divorce cases to insane misogynistic internet weirdoes I don't really want to sit through a 90 minute wank piece for the Alt Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah thats the same one. I guess I can live in ignorance on this for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

Wasn't Indiana Jones suppose to be Tintin but the execs didn't think anyone in America would know who Tintin was so they changed it? At least that was the implication in the Tintin 2011 making of documentary. Either which way they need to make another Tintin movie so long as it doesn't involve the Congo (or aliens).

• Locked thread