Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SteelMentor posted:

I really can't wait to see future livestreams these guys do, if what Lindsey was talking about comes true. Topics like the one discussed never really get brought up... anywhere, and it was incredibly entertaining to listen to.

It's really interesting to see this kind of introspection. This reminds me of a longer interview with Ellis, on Shut Up and Talk, where similar themes were explored:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAvSjTiZYkI

Also, just recently, Christopher Franklin (Errant Signal), reviewing THOTH while trying to consider why he normally doesn't analyze mechanics-focused games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS6p_5d6Xlk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

Speaking of Jim. Linkara's April Fools video is a look at just wen't wrong with DC's New 52 line, done in the style of The Jimquisition. It's posted on his site under the Power Rangers movie review. http://atopthefourthwall.com/power-rangers-2017-movie/

Don't worry, Linkara doesn't even attempt a British accent. I am disappointed he doesn't attempt to gently caress a Z-Bot. Come on Man, follow your own advice. COMMIT!

Top comment:

:allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Have you all heard that Jim Sterling and some other critics where invited over to Valve to raise their concerns about the bucketloads of crap on Steam Greenlight and how to make sure that doesn't happen again with their new revamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1OyenZvskc

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

I'm only on page 60 of the thread (and for reasons that only a behavioral psychologist would understand, I feel compelled to read through the whole thing before replying) but goddamn, is Loose Cannon absolute loving poo poo.

It's a college freshman essay, written an hour before submission. "Here's a list of fictional entity iterations, in chronological order. My premise is... that a bunch of things tenuously related to the same subject, happened in chronological order. My conclusion is... umm.... uh... that each chronological iteration probably reflects society values at the time the thing happened. No, I'm obviously never going to elaborate on how or why."

I find them insightful, actually. One that stands out is that covering the formation and interpretations of Santa Claus, which was especially informative because I didn't grow up in the US. She does seem to be going into more long-form essays these days, which might be more up your alley. Or not. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mischalaniouse posted:

Twitter is good for saying "hey friends I'm doing this thing" or "hey look at this good thing *upload a picture you just took*" and to see similar posts by your friends and/or celebrities you care about.

It is the absolutely worst format for a debate though, as 140 characters don't allow a lot of room for nuance.

And let's not start talking about "threads". Just link to a blog post, idiot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Facebook is great for keeping up with friends and family abroad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

DNF is the proto half life 3. It's what we have to look forward to in the far future when Valve's successor company tries to revive the game eight hundred years in the future.

In the grim darkness of the future, there is only Duke...

DN40K

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

You joke but I would play the poo poo out of that.

Duke at genestealer: "COME GET SOME"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm actually a big fan of JFSS, I've even been a patron for the past few months, but really, not quite sure why he'd give a worse score to a game he didn't seem to react to as negatively. Maybe he's taking it more personally because he supported the Kickstarter?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Trash Boat posted:

Assuming you're talking about his Mighty No. 9 score compared to Yooka-Laylee, it should be pointed out that Jim actually commissioned Laura to write the MN9 review on his site since he couldn't put up with it enough to review it himself.

Oh! Well, that explains why it's "4" instead of "4/10", I guess. I didn't know that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I changed my mind. I can see how people could hate Yooka-Laylee more than Mighty No. 9. There's been no footage of the latter that's been as broken gameplay-wise as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63M3LyuSzPM

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
And now, for something completely different:

Jim loving Sterling, Son pays a former Brash writer to write about his time writing for Brash, often unpaid

:allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VolticSurge posted:

Unlike KOTOR 2,there aren't any fanboys who dramatically misread the philosophy of one of the characters. As far as I know.

Give it time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Augus posted:

:yikes:

So um, hey, Jim Sterling's latest video game review is pretty much a masterpiece.
http://www.thejimquisition.com/horse-racing-2016-review-horse-poo poo/

Already unduly influencing metacritic:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
So this is currently only available to patrons, but Lindsay Ellis just posted the intro for her series, which will introduce film studies through Michael Bay's Transformers movies.

This is going to be glorious, can't wait to see how it turns out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jack Gladney posted:

It's on her youtube channel now. Michael Bay is the true dark heart of America.

Awesome, thanks for posting! I never know how long she's going to keep one unlisted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hbomberguy posted:

But it's CONTENT

Don't you want more CONTENT

Some people are not content with the content of their content.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lornekates posted:

Oh yeah, that artist whose name I don't know whose Deviant Art URL is on the back cover of a DVD that I can't remember the name of, didn't order and, honestly, don't even know what it contains.

YUGE exposurebux.

Poor content creator, died of exposure. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jack Gladney posted:

What else is there to say about Doug other than that he's dumb, really? And what response is really any better than ignoring him?

A lot of interesting people came out of that platform, though. It's probably a decent time to do a retrospective, you still might be able to find all the videos and interview the relevant people, who knows whether Youtube will still be around in five years?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Paul Ryan (not that one) plot thickens. Prepare to be angry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHWXpGM7dqQ

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I guess that's the last time they'll call him the British Jim Sterling!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Archer666 posted:

Today I discovered that Episode 1 had Brian Blessed in it, so it automatically became my favorite Star Wars movie.

:stare:

I did not know that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

drat, its amazing how different a man can look after shaving their beard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-ohKuKy4_s

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leal posted:

Et tu, Absurd?

Ceterum censeo Criticem esse delendam.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Deport The Irish posted:

Even aside from representation, I'd just like to see a World War 2 game have a single level that wasn't lifted from Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, or Enemy at the Gates.

Things I've never seen in a WW2 FPS include: Italy, any reference to the Italians or Axis Minors, the entirety of Russia and Eastern Europe (excluding Stalingrad), China, or India

The North African campaign had some historic battles.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Lovecraft and Tolkien's works (The Hobbit is Tolkien's exception) are extremely boring and agonizing to read.

I'm just going to babble on and let you fill in the blanks with what ever. Hmm how do I finish this story? Eeeh whatever *print*. Lol these dumb nig.. Eh I mean Fish people are ruining everything. *spends all of his money on hot garbage*.

I'm just going to explain every detail of the grass straw this elf stepped on.

"Oh, this horrible thing is about to happen. It's so horrible, I can't even talk about it right now. But it's coming! Oh yes!" * 2000 is most of At the Mountains of Madness. I mean, aside from that it's interesting world-building, but come on.

The Dream Cycle is cool, though. There you find out that Lovecraft reaaalllly loved cats. :3:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BigRed0427 posted:

I will miss Born Depressed as Jim theme.

:same:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It was a good anchor for the Jimquisition, and I'll be sad to see it go. Looking forward to Jimquisition 2: Electric Boglinoo, though!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

lornekates posted:

I try not to rag on NC too much because #TooEasy and #WeAlreadyKnow, but this one's just been bugging me. It was one of the recent few vids (you can find it yourself, I'm not scrubbing through them again). He makes a joke about Bill Clinton, then Bill O'Reily, then Bill Cosby-- then makes some comment "Wait, are, like, all people named Bill adulterers".

And I'm-- like-- Doug-- you just made a Bill Cosby reference. Do-- do you think that adulterers and rapists are the same thing? Because-- {sigh} loving hell.

Bill O' did not have Fox pay money on his behalf for adultery, either.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mischalaniouse posted:

I dunno if these guys have been brought up in this thread before, but I just came across them.

8-bit Music Theory talks about the music theory of video game music. It's a bit technical, so you might not get everything if you don't already have some music theory knowledge, but its interesting regardless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGqN1ZOEJQ

I just started watching a couple of his videos! My music theory is kind of garbage (I learned some piano as a kid), but I liked the few breakdowns of games I know and/or love, and look forward to understanding more about music by osmosis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sarcopenia posted:

Lmao, was the Socrates Plato thing in Lindsay's new The Whole Plate video a gently caress you to that pedantic dude in this very thread?

I'm going to guess she runs into an equivalent of this pedantic dude on Twitter, in person, on Patreon, etc...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

lol the same goes for the incredibly predictable progressivist indignation.

Predictable Progressivist Indignation is my percussion-dominant jazz fusion band, do not steal.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kunster posted:

Given that she tweeted about it around the same time, it's the same one from sa I'm afraid.

Wait, what?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kunster posted:

unless it was a big coincidence, she revealed her identity on the thread and kore or less immediately vented about it on her twitter.

Oh, wow, I didn't know any cool people were on this forum.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm legit surprised that any of them still post in this thread given the general garbage fire it tends to be 90% of the time. But yeah, Lindsay, Dan, Kyle, Allison and Phelan all post here openly, and that's just the ex-CA crew.

Hey, you know, sometimes you fire the garbage, sometime the garbage fire you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has anyone brought up Georg Rockall-Schmidt before? He does a lot of analyses and retrospectives on movies and such. These two are good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUf9RIoDco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhtHJuEJBME

He has a lot of other type videos I haven't really got into yet, like these zero-punctuation-esque musings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg3rjzBUeLI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Lindsay's latest Michael Bay video really provides the tools to understand the subjective experience of enduring the ordeal of a Michael Bay movie. It's like a much, much better version of what Red Letter Media did way back when in explaining why the prequels were bad.

Lindsay has 100% eclipsed Red Letter Media. I'm really excited for the rest of the series.

:same:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Reminds me that I got Les Mauvais Rêves after I heard a movie will be coming out. Maybe this will be the weekend I will push myself to actually read it!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

adamcantsleep posted:

YES. I have no nostalgia for any iteration of Transformers, nor have I seen any of the movies in their entirety, but this is great stuff. Lindsay, The Whole Plate is great and you should feel plate great.

Most of what she has been covering since she started have been movies and shows I've not watched, either because I wasn't the right age for them at the time, or because despite what people say about US cultural hegemony, not everything big here gets as big overseas. The analysis, however, has always been really interesting (and the old gimmicks funny, although it's good that they remain in the past), more than enough to keep me coming back for more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CelticPredator posted:

I actually really like Michael Bay and for a lot of reasons he's one of my favorite directors. The Rock is a goddamn classic film and Bad Boys 2 is legitimately insane. Is her video a "Michael Bay sucks" with flowery language? Or something interesting like the Every Frame of Painting?

The premise of this series is taking Michael Bay, and specifically his Transformers movies, seriously as cinema and applying various critical theories to them. I didn't come out of what she's posted so far thinking that "Michael Bay sucks", even though I do actually personally not like most of his movies and don't care about Transformers.

• Locked thread