Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Doug Walker is such an rear end in a top hat, I mean, morally, a bad person, that I don't think it's an overstatement to say he deserves to fail.

*a statement backed up by literally none of the people posting in this thread who know him, most of whom have material reasons to dislike him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

If you think the average person in 2015 thinks that transphobia is bad, I've got some awful news for you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I don't know why you think that makes it better for someone to be transphobic. The point is, he has more then enough access to knowlege to know better.

It doesn't make it better, it just makes it disingenuous to suggest that a famously ignorant man "ought to know" things most people don't.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 21, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

I don't watch that. He's a dick too.

p sure it was actually Jack, but please, keep making up your mind about people on the word of internet strangers

also continue to think that most people even think of the word "tranny" as a slur in the first place

DStecks fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 21, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I agree that it's a slur and all, but a lot of people haven't been exposed to the reasons why it's a problem, and a lot of people don't really understand why "but I don't MEAN it in a bad way!" doesn't really matter. It doesn't really make them terrible people, despite the fact that it's kind of poo poo.

Sometimes you just have to accept that there's poo poo parts of everyone, and they can have crappy aspects without being bad or immoral or whatever overall.

Going the tumblr route of "I can only like someone who has no problematic aspects ever!" is only going to end in madness and isolation. I say this as a recovering tumblrite.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

The only slurs I think are "alright" by ignorence is stuff like "st*pid" or "d*mb*, which okay, I can get things like that are too entrenched in modern vocabulary to know they're bad.

lm my literal ao

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I'd say it's because he's dumb, screamy, and has a super-stupid sense of humor.

watch your loving tongue

i'm literally shaking

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

To switch out of gibbis mode for a moment, if you're legitimately offended by the word "stupid", then you're probably among the top 0.001% of the most privileged people in the universe.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

NAViGaTR will always be some of Retsupurae's best stuff.

Honestly just watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0lzbCK9f8

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WickedHate posted:

NAViGaTR is the name of the people that reupload his stuff. The dude's name is George Wood, and he hosted a video game show on a public access channel.

I'm fully aware that Gaming in the Clinton Years is a rehosting of old segments from Flights of Fantasy, a public-access gaming show that NAViGaTR acquired the video library of; and that all signs point to the reuploads being 100% ironic (George Wood definitely meant it, though). It's just that sometimes I choose not to explain every intricate aspect of a funny video I want people to watch.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Video games can't be art because they are vehicles for the wish fulfillment of the player. It's like if every movie were Indiana Jones or Star Wars. The medium is inherently juvenile which is why all of its most vocal defenders or advocates are giant weeping babies who throw tantrums every five minutes.

Oh man I can't tell you how much Gone Home fulfilled my wish to rummage through my lesbian sister's poo poo.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Like dude, we get it, a lot of the people who push games as art are shitsters, but you're being a loving idiot.

sorry, idi*t

DStecks fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 22, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

You can argue that Tetris isn't a game, but a puzzle, but saying it's not a video game is just bizarre.

Also I made a new review, dealing with Christian Weston Chandler's musical output. I don't really recommend the video if you're not already familiar with the guy (and with my videos), I'm just posting it here for the people who already follow my stuff.

EDIT: I'm being informed that it's copyright blocked in the USA. I've got a fix I'm working on, but it's gonna take a number of hours.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 22, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arguably, anything that can tell you about the perspective of the creator is art.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

People completely forget the Plinkett TNG reviews, which is funny because there's a number of callbacks to them in the Star Wars reviews.

The TNG reviews are also pretty significant in that they came first, so you can actually watch the Plinkett character evolve, and it makes the gimmick make more sense. Plinkett started out as a self-deprecating satire of fanboy criticisms, and the serial killer angle is part of that; but gradually he evolves into simply being the voice of Mike Stoklasa, with the serial killer schtick hanging on as an artifact from when you weren't supposed to take Plinkett's opinions completely seriously. And while I find the schtick funny, I'll definitely concede criticisms that it really doesn't make sense for reviews where Plinkett is just Mike's mouthpiece.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cyron posted:

I am kind of happy boyhood lost just for the red letter media video about it and it will be amazing.

I'm disappointed for that exact reason, because the "Boyhood Won" video would be even better.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

GBS functions as a 'safe haven' from 'SJW fuckers', who are trying to take over the internet. By saying incredibly stupid poo poo and being racist for a joke but don't worry it is just a joke how could you imply otherwise I've always known to treat people equally all my life you jew haha lol (dont worry thats a joke too), they're actually protecting our freedoms. By saying mean poo poo pointlessly, you are proving you're free, by spiting the people who want to take away your freedom to say it, even if you don't actually mean it. I say 'even if', but when you corner these people and ask them their actual politics, it's invariable been one of two things. Either 'I have no idea' or 'I think patriarchy works really well and was better for everyone, and Hitler really did have a few good ideas if you think about it'.

Translation: Sad people who are frustrated about the world trying depserately to be recognised by either saying something they don't believe as a joke, or saying something they do believe as a joke. It's the very-specifically 8chan -style mindset where freedom is the goal, but - how strange! - it appears to mostly be the freedom to talk to no end about how The Bad People are taking over.

I just now went to the regular politics board of 8Chan, and one of the top threads, the 'Cultural Art thread', is titled like so:
'In this thread, let us celebrate the Art of the Human race before it's turned into Communist Dykes making GBS threads and bleeding on sheets and declaring it to be art.'

It's an obvious thing to notice, but the thread is just a bunch of contextless old paintings. There's no discussion of what makes them good or the artist's names. It's the exact sort of art appreciation you'd expect from a tiny right wing website masquerading as the last bastion of community freedoms. The whole website reads like this, a miserable attempt to not look like what it is, by having threads purely designed to look more like a community and make a website of bitter weirdoes who can't justify their ideas in a straightforward manner easier to swallow. Nothing is enjoyed for its own sake and everything becomes about the SJWs. 'Now THEY can't say we don't do this, because we did! We're spiting the theoretical people who are foolish and stupid and yet somehow have completely taken over! Ironic Hitler Meme!'

It's a hilarious website. It's proof that the SJWs/'chimps'/dykes they fear have taken over the internet so completely that, even when the discussion isn't about them, it's about them.

Please think on how long you spent typing this out

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cyron posted:

No gbs is better then this tumblr reject Thread. Hell this is the only thread that still give a poo poo about gg on the forum.

I thought you said you were leaving.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Leal posted:

Don't know if it was mentioned in the recent shitstorm, but Jon Tron uploaded a video about barbie video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8gK3B3daE

I don't care if this is the uncool thing to say, but I find JonTron to be absolutely hilarious in his solo videos. The man has a killer sense of comedic timing, probably just about the best of any internet critic.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spoony needs to just loving nut up and edit his vlogs, if only for how often he has a tendency to repeat himself for minutes on end after he's made his point. He also does in the Counter Monkey when he's ranting instead of telling a specific story.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I have a lot of respect for Errant Signal, and he seems like a really intelligent guy, and definitely one of the few true game critics (as opposed to game reviewer). So I don't get how a guy who can see through to the cultural assumptions Civilization makes could also repeatedly insist that Bioshock has nothing to say about Objectivism. I'll spare you all the novella I could write about this, since I'm probably going to do a video of my own at some point, but literally every aspect of Bioshock is designed to communicate the idea than an objectivist society is inherently doomed. From the most superficial level, that Rapture is an objectivist society which has failed, to the most intricate: [UNMARKED, UNIVERSALLY KNOWN SPOILERS FOLLOW]

Apparently, the actual term "ludonarrative dissonance" was coined to describe the disconnect between Bioshock being a screed against selfishness, and its protagonist being supremely selfish in the gameplay. However, the player character, Jack, is fundamentally a product of Rapture. In fact, IIRC, he's the only second-generation Rapturite depicted in the entire game, even the little sisters were girls kidnapped from the surface. Jack in fact is the most supremely selfish person in the entire story, since he, in his self-centredness, destroys the one remaining functional aspect of Rapture's society: the Big Daddy/Little Sister system. Jack is a symbolic stand-in for the city itself: his father is Andrew Ryan, the "father" of Rapture, and he is a product of its science. In the end, Jack brings the final doom to Rapture, the symbol of the city dooming the physical city, because again, the entire point of Bioshock is that objectivism is inherently self-destructive.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also thought that Human Revolution had nothing meaningful to say about transhumanism because it presented multiple themes and arguments rather than coming down hard in support for one side or the other.

That's more legit, in that DXHR really isn't sure how to frame the question of transhumanism, and winds up trying to use it as a metaphor for some wildly contradictory things. It's not really about transhumanism at all, it's using transhumanism to invoke up a wide array of contemporary issues, without saying anything about any of them beyond that they are controversies. There are parts where it tries to get deeper into the ideas it presents, but it struggles to discuss transhumanism as anything but a metaphor for contemporary issues, and its understanding of contemporary issues is little more than parroting talking points.

Basically what I'm saying is that DXHR has a very superficial understanding of politics and it tries to address transhumanism through the lens of that understanding, and the result is confused and shallow.

Robert Denby posted:

What about the goon who was going to restore the 16mm workprint of "Manos"? That dude dropped off the face of the earth.

That's actually happening. The Blu-Ray release is probably happening before the end of the year.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

You are kind of confusing the protagonist with the player here. Jack's character wasn't the problem. Errant Signal's point, as I understood it, was that while the game's story is anti-Objectivist, its mechanics force into the the exact behavior it is criticizing.

So, to get the message, the game actively forces you, the player, to ignore its message.

You're ignoring the possibility that a game can force a player into a mindset it disagrees with, in order to make a point. Spec Ops: The Line is profoundly anti-violence, but violence is the only way to proceed, and that's the point of the game. Bioshock is a game that directly analyzes the psychological connection between player and PC, and where it can break down (would you kindly), so I'd argue that "player is doing thing game does not like" is an overly simplistic reading.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kunster posted:

To be frank BioShock tried to pin two outcomes where the sacrifice of being less of a jerk around wasn't that big compared to one of being a full jerk.

Oh, Bioshock's endings are completely indefensible. They really wrote themselves into a corner by setting up Andrew Ryan to not be the final confrontation, and I'm going to assume there was publisher pressure to have the possibility of a happy ending (like how I assume/hope the "rescue your friends" ending of Far Cry 3 was publisher mandated, because the bad end of FC3 is clearly what that whole game was building up to).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Compendium posted:

Silly as it sounds, The Fisherman does sound like an appropriate name for a serial killer. What are fishermen, if not serial killer of fish?

Wasn't it the name of the bad guy in I Know What You Did Last Summer?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

Bioshock is an above average game that either gets undue praise or undue hatred for it's hype. It's a shooter with a interesting story, gameplay system and voice acting that's just been overhyped.

Bioshock 2 is leagues better anyway and is a legitimately amazing game.

I can tolerate people saying Far Cry 4's story is better than 3's because it's technically better executed while having zero artistic ambition; but if you're saying Bioshock 2's story is better than Bioshock's then you're almost objectively wrong.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any video games with moral choice systems where the "good" side isn't the right side?

KOTOR2?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

See, here's the problem. You apparently could not comprehend what I wrote. Let's look at what I wrote again:

Is this telling someone to turn their brain off? No - I am making almost the opposite point, that people shouldn't need shows to prove they have some reasonable level of 'depth' before they turn their brains on in the first place, and this means they miss out on material they might otherwise enjoy. I don't think Cross Ange is very good. I raise it as a good example of how, when approached with the wrong mindset, even the basic thematic concerns of a show get missed - imagine a review of the first ep of Cowboy Bebop where the reviewers never thought to mention the music and they thought it was just a bunch of white guys hunting a mexican drug-smuggling-foreigner stereotype.

Am I saying anything about 'the masses' opinions being wrong by default? No - although if I think this monolithic group is wrong, I will say it because I think they're wrong, not out of some weird dislike of mainstream opinions in general. A portion of my writing is spend trying to understand why people arrive at the opinions they do, but I don't do it to hurt anyone and you know this. I originally wrote a 'don't take this as an insult' disclaimer on the post you're quoting, but thought better of it because people aren't idiots and probably recognise I don't think they're bad people just because they have a different approach. Ths whole point of this thread is to discuss.

When I raised Evangelion instead of Eureka Seven, I was 'writing around the topic' to make a point. I'm not doing it to take out my secret anger at Eva fans or whatever - I am making an example using other shows as a touchstone. This is a very simple writing technique and you know this. The original poster only brought up Eureka Seven as an example themselves, to describe a larger concept. This is a basic form of communication, and again, you already know this. You are purposefully misconstruing my writing to make me out to be some sort of horrible monster. This is why I asked those questions before - I genuinely don't understand what place a lot of your criticism of me is coming from. You're essentially demonstrating that if you dumb down what I say to 'children's cartoons are secretly deep and the masses are all stupid and wrong and I am smart' then it would sound stupid. But that is patently not what I am writing, and you've never made an attempt to engage with any of my actual comments about a show at all. The closest you came was, a few months back, you said 'I know what I think already so we should agree to disagree'.

I think the most hurtful thing I said was when I dumbed-down my ideas about Spoony into a quip about Solondz, which I agree was pretty rude. So if anything the message here is I shouldn't dumb down my writing, but that you shouldn't dumb my writing down either. I mean you've taken the incredibly simple observation that there is a difference between a racist film and a film with racist characters, or one that appropriates racist imagery, and turned it into some sort of classist 'no it's secretly deep and made by genuises and I am enlightened' screed. If my comments are wrong, I'm not unreasonable, you could explain how easily and I would understand and change my mind. But instead you call me an rear end in a top hat and talk about about fart smelling. I don't understand why it's all about fart smelling. I thought I was talking about anime.

stop it

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

Stop what? Explain what I am doing wrong, with language.

Stop posting your blog here

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Half in the Bag looks at the South African film Chappie starring Hugh Jackmans glorious mullet.
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-chappie/

Has Jay ever done that with his hair before? Because... nice. :kimchi:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

It's not very good parody if you have to pretend I'm saying something else, instead of simple facts. Try talking about my farts, that'll be more effective.

:frogout:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nobody's saying Brianna Wu can't complain, try reading next time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Anita Sarkeesian

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

What would a Spoony movie even look like? The guy doesn't really do huge arcing plots like Linkara, so it's not like it can just be a continuation of that. And it's not like it would be a singular huge review, because his signature schtick is already huge, multi-hour reviews.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Nobody has ever disputed that Rob is an rear end in a top hat

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I'm literally autistic and if you want to call people autistic for acting autistic I could not give less of a gently caress

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

you're welcome

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KKall should become the new Plinkett

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

You're telling me that you would pass up the opportunity to antagonize that little poo poo? You wouldn't flick him in the balls at the supermarket or dump a cherry icee onto his head if you saw him walking on the lower level of a shopping mall? I'd Billy Zabka that closet-case all day long like it was 1986 and I was the rich kid in a salmon polo shirt.

That would only make him feel completely justified, you realize. When you really break it down, MRAs are men who believe they're hard done by, who think the world is controlled by women who hate them. I get that you're having a funny here, but HBomberguy's video is the best response to guys like this: just point and laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

HBomberguy is a shitposter you should have on your ignore list, and occasional videos mocking the world's easiest targets do not change this.

• Locked thread