Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

Not exactly. It's referring to one of many things where there's people with serious minutiae obsessions for things that people assume comes from some sort of autism spectrum disorder. People filming and making extended journal entries about what trains pass by is just a common one, as are ones on toilets, elevators etc.

Right, okay. I assumed it was Thomas because I'd read that it's massively, massively popular with autistic children (because the faces change expression, but never actually move).

I know it was definitely one of my narrow, intense interests as a child (before being replaced by the solar system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lornekates posted:

I don't know a nice way to ask this, but how does Doug feel about Thomas the Tank Engine trains that transform and combine into a megarobot

I've not seen that before, but it looks like a Really Useful Engine to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

By way of an apology, if any of you have anything in particular you want to see in the next Sarkeesian Effect video, let me know.

I know this isn't addressed to me, but I'm quite curious if Davis Aurini is one of the GamerGate guys who praised Jack Thompson when he came out against Anita Sarkeesian. I mean, it's pretty entertaining that GamerGate raises all this opprobrium toward Anita Sarkeesian, someone they think is destroying video games, then turns around and welcomes with open arms Jack Thompson, someone who actually did try to destroy video games.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not really interested in wrestling, but reading about wrestling is fascinating. The one I find very interesting is the American Wrestling Association, because "What if Hulk Hogan had stayed with them instead of joining the WWF?" seems like it would have pretty big implications.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can think of a couple of possibilities for Halloween-themed OHW reviews. The Crazy World of Arthur Brown ("Fire") may be an option; "I Put A Spell On You" by Screamin' Jay Hawkins could be another.

I remember being in HMV and seeing this Halloween-themed box set from the people who do the "100 Hits" compilations, and you had all this stuff like "I Want Candy" by Bow Wow Wow on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

The amazing thing is you can't really blame WWE on this for once because they were actually forced to go 3 hours long by USA. They hate the show being three hours because they can't write a three hour show because by the time Monday comes along, Vince just rips up the script 5 hours before show time and they have to rewrite it from scratch.

Ah, the WCW strategy. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never watched NGE because the hype around it sort of puts me off. I liked Martian Successor Nadesico, which was popular at the same time but approached the same genre from completely the opposite direction.

I'm not much into anime, but Martian Successor Nadesico and Slayers (disclaimer: haven't seen Revolution or Evolution-R, but nor have I heard good thing about them) are both good series. They're probably my favourites.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tae posted:

You mean the show that arguably ended more grim than Evangelion?

Mokinokaro posted:

The movie did. The show itself has a happy ending.

Ah, I've not seen the movie. That's the one where Ruri is the main character, isn't it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Seriously, in a world where both Enterprise ans Voyager exist, DS9 is considered the black sheep of the franchise?

Michael Piller's book about the making of Insurrection (blocked from publication because the content upset some people at Paramount, but you can find a pdf online easily enough) has a passage explaining that Voyager came about because people didn't like DS9; it was giving TNG fans what they (thought they) wanted, which boiled down to a) an exploratory ship; b) no meaningful conflict between the characters; and c) a functional continuity reset at the end of every episode.

As is often remarked, Voyager had the potential to be even darker than DS9; in TNG, even when things got bad, you knew that the Federation and Starfleet were at Picard's back, but VOY didn't have any of that. They're stuck far from home, with no way to refuel or resupply, with a crew cobbled together from two factions who are supposed to despise one another. But none of that came through in the finished product, because it wasn't what anyone was interested in.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 29, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've never seen Elfen Lied but I discovered it back when I still went on TV Tropes (who seemed to love it, predictably).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cardboard Box A posted:

I’ve also heard from numerous sources that her last video has a lot of uncomfortable language revolving around slut-shaming and denigration of sex workers and the promiscuous, which further supports my assumption that she’s well-off and sheltered from a lot of heavily marginalized women.

It is interesting to read this, because on another site I sometimes visit, one poster raised a similar criticism (from a feminist perspective, from what I understood) of Anita's videos; she said that while she agrees with the basic thrust of them, and while she wants to support what Anita does, she doesn't feel comfortable watching her videos because she thinks they come across as sex-negative. I haven't watched any of Anita's videos myself, so I don't know if that's a fair or accurate comment, but this part of your post (your post in general, really) reminded me of that.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Ok, maybe if he could just do a slightly longer ep about lovely dance music that was only big in the UK, that could be good.

Remember when ringtone music was a thing? I don't just mean Crazy Frog, Sweetie the Chick and Nessie the Dragon, but when ringtones were advertised on Channel 4. You could text a number and get a really bad MIDI version of "Mr Lonely" sent straight to your Nokia 3310!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jack Gladney posted:

Sex positivity is about respecting the agency and intelligence of individual living people, like not assuming they're victims who need to be rescued just because they wear hijabs or work as prostitutes. You can't be sex-positive about media like movies or tv because the people in them aren't real. They're reflections of the ideas of the people who make them, and if you want to understand those ideas you need to keep them available for discussion. You can't shame the princess in Super Mario for being passive because she isn't real, and you can't celebrate her choice to embrace her role because she can't make any choices on account of not being real. There are two different levels of understanding here.

Sounds fair. I mean, I'm not probably not familiar enough with some of the ideas, but that clarifies things a bit. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jimi Jamison (who sang the theme song) died last year. He was also lead vocalist in Survivor after Dave Bickler left (i.e. he's the one who didn't record "Eye of the Tiger").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Rufus posted:

The tragedy of Adam Warren's art style is that it's too anime for western comic fans and too western for anime fans. He is in this weird place where both sides don't like it. But Empowered is such a good damned comic. It can be funny, heartbreaking, sexy, and scary as all hell within the same volume. It just doesn't get a fair shake from most folks.

Empowered is a fetish comic; it's a very entertaining fetish comic, but a fetish comic nonetheless. I mean, I enjoy it, but of course it's going to put people off.

I remember an interview with Warren, where he remarked that he gets more stick from manga fans for "stealing" their style to use on superheroes than he does from superhero fans for putting manga influences in his comics. I thought that was amusing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More or less.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

That really sucked, the show literally ends with the bugs sending in another wave to earth and the heroes screwed. The show wasn't perfect, but I quite liked it. My only real gripes are with the spotty first campaign, where they were still trying to figure out if they were going for a more childish or more adult tone for the show. You get some downright awful lines like "Really deep doo-doo!" alongside episodes where Carth Onasi's squad gets murdered by arachnids. And I suppose Dizzy's voice actress bugs me, as well, but that's one mediocre va amongst a really solid cast.

Does anyone remember the Heavy Gear CGI series on Fox Kids? I think it had a similar sort of visual style.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

TV becoming diversified not only drove down ratings for the networks, but meant that niche shows liked by a few million could still be hits, and more creative freedom. Shows like Breaking Bad would have never happened 15-20 years ago. Services like Netflix (DVRs as well) have helped, allowing binge watching to help people keep up with heavy serialized shows. Also, the technology has improved to the point that you can shoot TV with movie level cinematography.

I think TV is going through an evolution similar to what New Hollywood was in the late 60's and 70's.

I think it's been slowly percolating since 2000 or so. It probably started with The Sopranos (and possibly The West Wing, to a lesser extent).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

I'm not saying it just started now, I know the rise of HBO original shows are where I place the start of the TV evolution to what it is now. The Soproanos was definitely a big part of that. You are right, In 2000, Breaking Bad would have been an HBO show, but it would never have been on basic cable. Basic cable needed HBO originals to be hits so the cable channels could try to emulate them.

Ah, fair enough. I guess I just don't know enough about American telly, to be quite honest!

Nonetheless, it's something that interests me. It's curious that "prestige drama" used to mean stuff like Hill Street Blues and LA Law. Indeed, it's interesting to look at the series that were winning or being repeatedly nominated for the "Outstanding Drama Series" or "Outstanding Writing in a Drama Series" Emmy Awards 20-25 years ago; all stuff like Picket Fences and thirtysomething that just don't seem to have had a great shelf life. I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis Franz has as many awards for playing Andy Sipowicz as Bryan Cranston has for Walter White.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I watched and enjoyed Escaflowne when it was on Fox Kids in the UK. Clearly aiming to capitalise on the success of DBZ on Cartoon Network, along with CardCaptor Sakura on Nickelodeon and Sailor Moon and Shinzo (both of which were also on Fox Kids), but an unusual series by comparison to those; not quite shonen, not quite shojo, but somewhere in between. Looking at it in retrospect, it nearly seems a tiny bit like a CLAMP series if the characters didn't look like noodles with heads.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MonsieurChoc posted:

Best dub is either Gundam Wing or Big O.

The guy in the first one sounds uncannily like Takahata101's voice for Nappa in DBZ Abriged. :stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonatrix posted:

Johnny Yong Bosch as well, but he was a musician before VA too.

Johnny Yong Bosch was one of the original Power Rangers (or one of the first substitute/promoted Rangers) too, wasn't he?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Annointed posted:

Nope, that's just being mature in your line of thinking. You can hate someone for being a shitlord but still acknowledge their skills and opinions.

I myself own a copy of Double Live Gonzo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

Some! Not a lot, not frequently.

Didn't the Ultimate Muscle anime get an extra season produced because of its overseas popularity? That's the only example I can think of that I've heard about.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Writer Cath posted:

The example of this that stuck out the most to me was Film Brain. He reviewed a movie and this person got SO MAD about defending it that they maxed out three of the comment boxes on TGWTG. That movie was Die Another Day. Like, really. People get passionate about the oddest things.

The most strenuous defenders of Die Another Day are usually people who really, really, really hate Daniel Craig, right?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

Or to put it another way, why pick a side when you can just sneer at the lot of them?

Of course, you can easily do both (pick a side and sneer at every position). There's no harm in that, after all. :D

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sort of inured to politics, anyway. I used to be very interested, but I can't find it in myself to be bothered nowadays. I mean, there's a general election in a fortnight, and while I'll certainly vote (because one should always vote), but I feel disengaged otherwise. Not sure when it happened, really, but it did. I imagine a lot of it is down to the implosion of NI21 the day before the first election they contested. That was disappointing. I mean, they were maybe a bit too pro-EU for me, but they were something different.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IronicDongz posted:

Sorta breaks down when you realize that the political "middle" varies from place to place(does truth vary depending on geography?) and American politics are way way over on the right compared to most countries, so our left is far closer to their right.

Generally speaking, "centrist" in Britain or Europe means "centre-left", while in America it means "centre-right". Both of the US parties are large tent organisations so you'll obviously see a lot of variation within them (perhaps less so with the GOP at the moment; all the liberals in the GOP died out when the right-wing won in 1980), and the same is true of, say, Britain, where the Labour Party was home to Tony Blair on one hand and Tony Benn on the other.

I don't subscribe to the notion which insists that the Conservative Party here in the UK are Basically Democrats, but I think if David Cameron was from New England, he'd fit right in next to John Kerry and Andrew Cuomo.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 22, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I think its Trey who said "We hate conservatives, but we hate liberals even more"

Nah, it was more along the lines of, "I hate conservatives, but I loving hate liberals." The difference is subtle but, I think, significant. :D

I find that conservatives are much easier to mock, but it just doesn't have the same kind of visceral satisfaction (a reaction I can't adequately explain) that comes with liberals getting slagged off.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For me, leftism at its most tiresome and irritating tends to be George Galloway's borderline anti-Semitism or all the National Union of Students, "We will condemn UKIP and Israel, but condemning ISIS would be Islamophobic," stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Testekill posted:

I've come to the conclusion of gently caress adult contemporary. What a loving boring genre and gently caress Bryan Adams especially if he really did threaten Allmusic.

If you listen to the album that "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" is actually on, it's basically a lost Def Leppard album. Obviously, that's because Mutt Lange produced it, but although I can't cite any exact examples off the top of my head, but there's a few songs on that which may as well be pastiches of songs from Hysteria (before they took all his information down, AllMusic drew a direct comparison between "All I Want Is You" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me" but it's been that long since I listened to either song, I couldn't tell you for sure if it fits).

Man, I was mad keen on the album Reckless for a while a couple of years ago, when I was going through a bit of an eighties rock phase (which I am now thankfully outgrown; I could post at considerable length on this matter but I doubt anyone's interested; suffice to say that my resulting alienation from music - the breakdown of my ability to conenct with music - actually managed to prompt something of a small identity crisis for me; it was an awkward phase in retrospect).

Overall, Bryan Adams is mostly fine if you a) already enjoy AOR and melodic rock along the lines of Foreigner, Journey, Loverboy, Def Leppard and Bon Jovi; and b) ignore the Robin Hood song, but avoid the album 18 Till I Die, which has a song called "(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear" (seriously).

P.S. I think the website Hit Parader listed Bryan Adams on its list of the best ever heavy metal vocalists. Fred Durst was also on the list. Yeah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Much is made of the fact that Nevermind knocked Dangerous by Michael Jackson off the top of the Billboard 200 in 1992, and while that was a massive achivement, it's less-frequently noted that Nirvana were themselves replaced at number one by Garth Brooks, who stayed there for five times as long, and went on to have a second, seven-week number-one album later on in the same year.

The year Nevermind went to number one, Billboard's year-end number one album was Some Gave All by Billy Ray Cyrus, and Def Leppard had a five-week number one album with Adrenalize, as did Michael Bolton with his terrible covers album.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stillvisions posted:

I go with the kinda cynical view that Alternative as a genre happened and hit it big because the Billboard hot 100 switching over to Soundscan at the end of 1991 caught the big companies with their pants down. Bands like Nirvana managed to sneak into visibility on the new rankings enough to snowball and get big. It didn't take long for the bigs to figure out how to profit off the Alternative genre and game Soundscan again, letting them top the charts with mass-market safe music and simultaneously sell Alternative music to the kids disaffected by said safe music as well.

Seems like a reasonable analysis. It's unfortunate that they didn't do likewise with mp3 downloading as well. If they'd tried to monetise the model rather than crush it and cling to the existing system, perhaps the music industry would be in a stronger position today; by the time the iTunes store emerged to offer a viable legal alternative, the pirates had a good five-plus year head start on them and they've struggled to make up the difference.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Not Apple, I think they tried to go after mp3 players and the format in general.

It isn't much different from the "home taping is killing music" thing from the 1970s, I suppose.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hoping House of Cards[/u] shows up for [i]Macbeth. I reckon Kyle would be able to take an interesting look at how the discrepancies between the British and American political systems affected the presentation of the story in each adaptation. Of course, he may have something completely different planned, which I will almost certainly enjoy anyway. I liked all the videos from last year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When I was born, "Bohemian Rhapsody" was number one (because it recharted after Freddie Mercury died).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

It's still one of my favourites (the original, but Tupac's cover is good too.)

Dammit on the Canadian charts I was a week away from New World Man by Rush (got Abracadabra by Steve Miller)

Tupac didn't cover it - he sampled the piano riff and the chorus for "Changes". I heard "Changes" before I heard "The Way It Is", and I can't seem to help but compare the latter unfavourably to the Tupac track.

I should mention, the re-release of "Bohemian Rhapsody" was number one in the UK when I was born; I think the number one single in America would have been "Black Or White" (but I'm not sure).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rebochan posted:

If it's any consolation, it inspired an awesome Futurama parody.

I think that'd be a pretty cool song for Todd to look at on OHW.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was number one during Woodstock, but I think it's more of an Altamont song (though obviously not to the same extent as "Gimme Shelter"), maybe even a sort of Larry Norman thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm British, so make that 4 months. What the gently caress, chaps?

Talk about being born under a bad sign.

Then, three years later, Wet Wet Wet's cover of "Love Is All Around" was number one for 15 weeks. The current record in the UK is Frankie Laine's version of "I Believe", which was number one for 18 weeks back in the early 1960s.

In America, the record is held by "One Sweet Day" by Boyz II Men and Mariah Carey, which was also number one for 16 weeks, although in terms of artists who were number one for the most consecutive weeks, it's the Black Eyed Peas, who were number one on the Hot 100 for 26 weeks in 2009, when "Boom Boom Pow" was number one for 12 weeks, and "I Gotta Feeling" followed it for a further 14.

Thanks to the addition of streaming data to the formula used to calculate the charts (both the Hot 100 and, more recently, the UK Top 40), it's likely that longer stays at number one will become commonplace going forward. Most recently, "Uptown Funk" was number one in America for 14 consecutive weeks.

Monster albums are a thing of the past, though. 21 by Adele was an aberration in that regard; Taylor Swift is the only artist who can consistently sell more than two million copies of her albums.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Amazing Atheist should totally team up with Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron to review bananas. Those guys are already experts about bananas, but I reckon the Amazing Atheist could probably teach them something new about them.

• Locked thread