Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Some other suggestions for the OP:

Double Toasted - Korey and Martin started out doing movie reviews nearly 20 years ago on public access television. After years of podcasting with spill.com, they've come full circle back to video content. These guys put out a _ton_ of content from movie reviews to radio call-in shows, so try to find one or two shows you like and stick to those.
https://www.youtube.com/user/DoubleToastedDOTcom/videos (Edited reviews and clips from their live shows)
https://soundcloud.com/kcoolman (All show audio is posted here for free, full 2 hour+ video streams are subscription only)
Thread here, courtesy of yours truly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Gyges posted:

Is there much other than the current Ms Marvel in the superhero genre? I only read the first trade paperback of that but it was pretty good.
Outside of the recent gently caress-up, the current Batgirl run is pretty good.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

My entire logic was based on Todd usually picking something powerfully mediocre as #1, this year he just did the obvious thing. I mean, you could argue it falls in line with the trend of singling out an artist he hated this year, but I certainly couldn't point to any song on the list that I think is anywhere near as bad as Wiggle.

ALSO, since my toxx appears to not have taken effect yet, can I get a REDEMPTION TOXX that Uptown Funk will be #1 best? :toxx:
Dude, quit while you're ahead. I say that as a regular :toxx:-er on the Thunderdome, it never ends well.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I personally think that "Inception" did a better job than "The Matrix". Sure it's more convoluted, but it's that way by nature of the concept which is more complicated than "The Matrix". Dreams are much more complex than whatever an advanced program could come up with by default since dreams come from the brain which is the most advanced device in the world. That and "Inception" was free from the action movie fetishization that "The Matrix" had. No bullet time, no treanch coats, no sunglasses, no angst. I feel that Nolan's film is not only the better film, but it's the film that will age better.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Vicas posted:

I guess? They're only barely even in the same genre, if at all. Two very different types of movie
In the context of gun-heavy science-fiction action films with the hook of an esoteric, highly variable setting.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cyron posted:

I kind of funny how the people who hate her created her to be as big as it is, yes there would be youtube shitheads being mad at her, but youtube comments are poo poo for everyone, but the venom she got from 4chan and reddit created her fame, if it wasn't she just be another blip on the radar.

the internet have changed since i join, it almost feels like when the west was starting to lose it wildness. hell it the plot to tombstone, gamergate is the cowboy gang of that movie.
So if Anna is Wyatt, who'd be Doc?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Cyron posted:

I would say jim sterrling, he fit into the bizarre mold. just replace boose with a dildo collecting fetish.

god i want to watch tombstone again.
You're a daisy if you do :ocelot:

EDIT: It's on Netflix streaming, I think. It's a bit melodramatic for my taste in Westerns. I like 'em gritty like Unforgiven or 3:10 to Yuma

*Western discussion derail*

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 27, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Alignment ought to be taken into consideration when creating your character. Back when I still had a Pathfinder group, I created and played a cleric who was an acolyte to the goddess of piracy. My DM suggested I go the escaped slave route, so my cleric's backstory was that he was a slave who made an appeal to the gods in desperation and made a pact with his goddess in exchange for the strength and power to lead a successful revolt. He was then taken in on a pirate ship and became their doctor. Chaotic Good was the obvious way to go and I made sure to adhere to it. In that module, there was a brothel and a madam who we needed to question. In character, I said straight out that everybody else should do the talking, lest I get into the madam's face about exploiting her girls since exploitation was a trigger for me to turn beligerent. We never made it to the next session which was a pity since I was planning in-game to lead the girls into a revolt. Some alignments work better than others for rp'ing, obviously. My personal take on Lawful Good is that if the two identities come into conflict for a character, the good should win.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Oxxidation posted:

Cracked is generally tolerable provided that you never, ever read a single thing from Gladstone.
or John Cheese

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I read Vice :shrug: Is the gooncensus not good about it?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
It occurs to me that Moviebob's firing from The Escapist was entirely motivated by Gamergate for a few key reasons. First, Bob is a regular contributor. He provides content twice weekly on Tuesdays and Fridays every week in a year, even on holidays. Second, Bob's an outspoken and self-identifiying progressive. How progressive he is is up for debate since he's vehemently defended both Metroid: Other M and Sucker Punch which were both overtly objectifying towards their respective female characters. But then again, I disgress. Third, he's been a stanuch supporter of Ms Sarkeesian from the moment she announced her "Tropes vs Women" series which preceded the Gamergate shitstorm. As a producer and host, Thee Escapist would be really, really stupid to let go of a regular contributor like Bob unless his views and content were to come in direct conflict with the views of their key demographics. Most persons who play videogames aren't supporters of Gamergate, of course, but the ones who do are especially vocal ones. It makes entire sense that the powers that be at The Escapist act like sheep and give into the demmands of the mob by unceremoniously throwing him off their site.

Personally I dislike Bob. I find his...let's say thoughtlessness towards minorities (women and dark-skinned persons like myself) infuriating and symptomatic of the larger problem with self-identified progressives/liberals. Bob and I are both very political minded persons and that's the source of my dislike of Bob--I feel like he's so close to being right but he won't let go of certain immaturities and misconeptions that he's so used to. That and he looks like a funhouse reflection of myself--an older manchild Benny, if you will. In any case, I still feel really bad for Bob being sacked. Bob if you can read this, I hope you find work elsewhere. Don't listen to the GG'ers. Get a Kickstarter/Indiegogo/Patreon and go from there. Heck, I from time to time enjoy your videos. You've got a good head on your sholders, buddy. Keep it up :unsmith:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 15, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Alacron posted:

People really wanted an "edgy" Speed Racer?

Just... :wtc:
It's made Warner/DC billions and they aren't going to change, unfortunetly :smith:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
What got me about Into Darkness was the overall sense of hubris. It was like watching an artist painting the Mona Lisa right next to the original and declaring his version to be equal.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Spiritus Nox posted:

On the subject of whitewashing - how bad should I feel about the fact that, despite her being white, I actually think that Scarlett Johansson is otherwise a really good fit for Ghost In The Shell's Motoko Kusanagi? Like, is it in poor form for me to even think she could do that character justice? I've been turning that over in my head ever since her name first came up in association with the role.

Gyges posted:

Since the Major is just a ghost inside several different cybernetic shells throughout the series, probably slightly worse than lying to your mother about using low fat milk instead of whole milk in your cereal.
On the other hand, the Major is explicitly a Japanese-named character who serves in a paramilitary unit overseeing cybersecurity in Japan so it does strike me as whitewashing. We could go back and forth and argue that the Major does have Caucasian features but that goes back to the uncomfortable fact how the early anime creators were emulating western animators and therfore were reinforcing the same double-standard that light-skinnned protagonists are the default. It took me a long, long time untill I finally figured out why so many anime characters looked nothing like Japanese people, having fair skin and light hair. You shouldn't feel bad, like what you like, dude. Just realize that it's a hosed-up situation how the powers that be are casting a white girl in a role who should go to a Japanese actress. I'm thinking either Rinko Kikuchi from "Pacific Rim" or Rila Fukushima from "The Wolverine". Then again my knowlledge of English-speaking Japanese actresses is limited so judge my casting choices accordingly :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

Also lmfbo if you actually think Hollywood is gonna cast Rinko Kikuchi as the protagonist in a multimillion-dollar film; Asian-American actresses have a hard enough time getting roles while speaking fluent unaccented English.
I can loving dream, can't I? :smith:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How... the gently caress... does a taxable income of $100,000... get a tax rate of loving 2%!?!? DOWN from the higher 10%?!!!? While people under that bracket are taxed 30% or MORE?!?!?

... I must be missing something, but it's too late at night for me to be delving into the tax system of a country I don't even live in.
"gently caress the poor" is our nation's unofficial motto, that's why

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Tae posted:

To be fair, it's probably been retconned because DC reboots their universe comic books reboot their universes like every 5 months
Fixed that for you.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

littleorv posted:

I've noticed there are a lot of depressed people in this thread and I wish the best for all of you. That's all I wanted to say here
It's a vicious cycle of projection. "Hey! I just found x person who does videos on y! I share y as an interest! I like this person!" And it goes downhill from there :(

On another note, I haven't seen Kyle's new video, but I'm glad it addresses the whole "death of the author" school of criticism, if only because the internet has poisoned it for me as just an excuse for fanfic writers to justify their bad erotica. "You can't spell subtext without buttsex!" :downsrim:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 25, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't care for Alan Moore, personally :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jsor posted:

Sometimes I just want to get all the "certified weird" personalities to work on a project together. Just get Hideo Kojima, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, etc etc to work on some giant mixed media franchise and watch the fireworks.

It's probably just be terrible, or even "good but inoffensive" because none of them would be able to have complete control which would severely reign in their individual quirks, but still.
Don't let Miller anywhere near anything. Dude's a loving reprobate.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I checked Bennett the Sages website, and it looks like he is having some pretty serious medical problems. Does anyone know what that is about? I hope he gets better from whatever it is.
He's not exactly the most svelte guy out there, so there's that (glass houses-I'm a big guy, too)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Or this

:shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Gyges posted:

Aren't her superpowers basically magic anyway?
Yep. Wonder Woman is to the Jusitce League what Thor is to the Avengers--the one member of a given mythology. Wondie's origin is either that she was made out of clay and blessed with life by the Gods or she was the illegitimate child of Zeus himself. What I've heard though is that the Amazonians are gonna be this race of aliens who, much like Supes, have gained powers from the sun and live as a secluded warrior race in this island nobody knows about. Which would suck because if DC would go full-tilt and say "Yeah, Gods exist", that would give them the leg up over Marvel's "They're kinda, not really Gods".

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know, just when I was about to go off about how you had poo poo opinions on "Man of Steel", you do something like this. Hbomberguy, you're allright. I'd buy you a beer if I was were you were.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a backlash, but I suppose that just shows how little a poo poo people give about the game.
Or how much gamers give a poo poo about current events? :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

All I'ma say about Evangelion is that it officially joined the ranks of speculative future sci fi that now takes place in the past this year. THIRD IMPACT IS COMING, Y'ALL. :stonk:
2015 is the year of the Hoverboard and I will not hear otherwise :colbert:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The second season of SAC is great, with way superior plotting to season 1. It's not as strong, but it's a great portrayal of escalating conflict.
That conflict involved a migrant population which was previously exploited for cheap labor to clean up nuclear fallout. It really resonated for me because I myself am a child of migrant workers and a first-gen citizen so it was like watching "What if the fuckers in congress decided to do x against my people," including revoke the 14th amendment which grants me citizenship. It's the reason why I have blood in the game known as immigration politics.

(Sorry for the potential derail, but yeah, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex-2nd Gig resonated extremely deeply and is one of my top anime series for obvious reasons. I wonder if anyone else who's a child of immigrants like me found resonance in that season as well, though.)

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 2, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The interesting thing about Samus is that she's like Wonder Woman. They're both the highest profile female characters of their respective mediums, I happen to be a fan of both videogames and comics, and I'm also a fan of both their respective companies (Nintendo and DC, respectively). However, neither of them know what the gently caress to do with them, because they immediately follow up a really good run (The "Prime" games for Samus and Brian Azzarello For Wondie) with utter poo poo (Other M/The Finches), not to mention the ugly histories of exploitatiton that both companies have done with both characters in order to cheaply appease with their core fanbase. What I'm saying is, Samus' predicament isn't new and it's a drat shame that Nintendo won't learn from another company with another high profile female character of what not the gently caress to do because at this point, unlike Wonder Woman, Samus is bound for obscurity (unless Nintendo is planning some kind of giant Super Smash Bros movie project a la "The Avengers" but I'm not holding my breath).

Oh and to the whole Zero Suit discussion, yeah, it's exploitation. Even if someone were to say it's meant for comfort, Samus' power suit could be padded from the inside to compensate instead of having her wear something that skin-tight. The armor point is useless too because form-fitting armor is superfluous--armor is generally made to be bulky as possible and even personal armor like kevlar vests, meant to fit underneath clothes, are still bulky as hell. It's just there to titilate and that level in "Zero Mission"where she's running around wearing nothing but that and you have to sneak around the space pirate base was the absolute worst part of the game. The Metroid series and Samus really did and does deserve better but Nintendo won't listen.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 4, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

hopeandjoy posted:

This is provably partly because the Metroid games aren't very popular in Japan and Japanese companies tend to prefer to pander to their domestic bases than their international ones. In fact, Other M was made as an attempt to create a Metroid game that would appeal to Japanese players.

It sold like poo poo there too.
Hold on a tic, would that explain why Other M was passed on to Team Ninja? Are the DOA games and spinoffs more popular in Japan then here as well? Either way, a Team Ninja developed Metroid was the first drat sign that this was going to be a bad game.

Oh hey, I'm curious about armor now. Was I right about my previous assumption how it's meant to be bulky as hell or are there any real-world applications to form-fitting armor? Independent to the Zero Suit of course.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 4, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Is Nintendo a really DMCA-happy company? I don't keep up with videogame news as much as I used to but it really wouldn't suprise me.

Oh and thanks for the info, Mokinokaro :tipshat:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

Any discussion of Trailer Park Boys?
Or Rescue Me?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Did Linkara lose weight? Good on him.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone ever do something about The Departed vs Infernal Affairs? It feels kind of obvious, you'd expect at least Ed Glaser to have done a Deja View on it, but apparently not.
"Every Frame a Painting" did a brief comparison on how Scorcese decided to fillm the cell phone scene between the two moles in silence as opposed to how the original had the score playing to show how both directors differed on how to raise the tension in that key scene.

EDIT: Here's the video in question.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 22, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey internet reviewers and critics alike on this thread, I have a very importiant question involved in criticism--is it fair to base your opinion on a given work not on the source material but on the adaptation? Particuarly when the aesthetics of said source material are personally so repugnant that the adaptation not only as faithful to the source material as possible but much, much more palatable?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I saw Avengers 2 last night with a friend. After a day to let everything settle, I can now give a susinct opinion on the film. And I'll do my best to avoid any provocation. This first post will be non-spoilers.

Watching this film was like watching Joss Whedon perform a card trick. He's moving way too many cards way too fast but if you look close enough, you realize that the Ace of Spades was up his sleeve the whole drat time. My friend left confused because the parts she found enjoyable even I agreed were legitimately enjoyable. But the problem with this film is that there's way too many elements crammed into it and Whedon exacerbates the problem by moving things so fast to keep us off-balance. If us as the audience actually too the time to link all the plot elements together, we'd get disoriented real quick. Whedon moves the film quickly with his trademark "clever" dialouge and characterization and lots and lots of action setpieces to otherwise distract us. Going back to the metaphor, it's all sleight-of-hand in order to trick us into thinking it's a good movie, it's blatant manipulation.

Now if I had to compare this to a better example of an emsemble superhero action film, I'd compare it to "X-Men: Days of Future Past", directed by Bryan Singer. Singer's an old hand at the ensemble film and where he succedes where Whedon fails is one simple reason: prioritization. Singer probably had it worse than Whedon in reguards to characters and plot elements--"Days of Future Past" included not only the casts from two different sequels but also brand new characters and time travel. This would be a giant disaster if Singer didn't prioritize everything correctly. Wolverine is our protagonist by virtue of being our point-of-view character, the main conflict is between Professor X's now disalousioned idealism vs Magneto's violent pragmatism and Mystique is the catalyst to drive the overal narrative. The time-travel element is there primarily to establish the stakes--if Wolverine isn't succesful in his mission, then mutankind is doomed, end of story, and the future scenes are inter-sped within the climax with the right ammount of balance to remind us of those stakes. Not every character gets equal focus but that's good because those who do get the most focus are the ones whose actions drive the narrative. Compare that to "Avengers 2" where, along with the six characters from the first film, Whedon introduces three new characters. I get it how all the members of the Avengers are supposed to be equal, but the problem is the runtime constraints of film--there's just not enough time to where it'd be feasble to develop equal development to everyone. The result is that most of the development feels token or compressed. In fact, "compressed" is a good way to describe this film. Whedon is way too busy trying to cram too much poo poo so instead he tries to distract us with as much posturing, snappy dialouge, and cool setpieces as possible. I've heard a lot of grumblings about this film and I hope this is the moment where people finaly realize how Whedon's been pulling a fast one on us the entire time. Also how he's not as clever as he or we think he is, he really isn't.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So part two, Spoilers!

I really, really enjoyed the new dynamic between Black Widow/Natasha Romanov and Hulk/Bruce Banner. We have two persons who could not be more different but form some sort of intimate bond by virtue of being deeply damaged people. Both my friend and I thought the scenes of them together were really touching. Unfortunatley, there's a lot of tell in this film. Like Natasha explains to Bruce under no uncertain terms that she can't have children, that the agency she worked with in Russia performed a sterilization process because children would be a distraction for them as operatives. Or how the Maximov Twins-I'm sorry, Quicksilver and Scarlett Witch, explain to Ultron, in detail, how their home was shelled and how they found Stark's name on one of the shells. First rule of storytelling--show, don't tell. Or if you can't show, then don't over-tell. Natasha should've been vauge towards Bruce how "the agency saw children as an unecessary distraction", Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch should've just said how the shells that killed their family and destroyed their home read "Stark". That would've been a lot less tell and probably would've freeded up more time for actual development. But the first sign of bad storytelling is telling over showing. Oh, and, I wasn't just comparing this film against "Days of Future Past" for nothing--let's talk about Pietro Maxamov/Quicksilver.

In "Days of Future Past", Quicksilver was in there ten or fifteen minutes, tops and his scene was the most memorable in the whole drat film. Quicksilver in "Avengers 2" was present throughout the whole drat film and yet he's not as memorable as the Quicksilver in the X-Men film. And as I said before, Singer prioritizes where Whedon doesn't. The issue with quick characters is that because they can move really fast, they have the potential to solve whatever problem exists within the story before the end. Realizing this, Singer only has Quicksiver around for ten or fifteen minutes and he's only there to break out Magneto, aka his long-lost father. What does Whedon do? Have him around for the whole drat film before taking a drat minigun to the chest. We all knew someone was gonna die in this film, Whedon's shtick is to sacrifice someone for the sake of "drama". If I was paying attention, I would've figured out way ahead of time that it was Quicksilver because he's incidental to the cast and because his powers would make the conflict even more inconsequential so to tie up loose ends, he had to die. I don't think we're gonna see him in "Infintiy War" to be honest.

And that just about does it. Long story short, this movie sucks and Whedon is a hack.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 3, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jsor posted:

Is Avengers 2 watchable for someone who hasn't seen a Marvel Movie after Iron Man 3?
Sure. At this point, all the Marvel movies are becoming interchangable enough so anybody can watch them and yet still within "continuity" so that they can sell more crap. But yeah, you really only need the previous "Avengers" film as a point of reference and it's a small point of reference. Go see it if you haven't seen any Marvel film at all. But if you wanna have the best time possible, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Jimbot posted:

Early impressions said that it suffers the Iron Man 2 effect where it just spins its wheels just to set up the next decade of the movieverse they have rather than just telling a self-contained story. Would you say that's accurate? Partial? I honestly really don't care to see the film any time soon. I'm kind of burnt out of the Marvel movies since it seems like the creative team have to follow extreme mandates from Marvel and the result feels like a movie made in a factory.
Oh hey, Jim, I didn't see you :wave: I didn't see "Iron Man 2", but yeah, there's a lot of that going on in this film. Since the first "Avengers", the Marvel Studios films have been hinting towards Thanos, the Infinity Stones, and the Gauntlet. Really, it's all just a bunch of plot devices and the stones have appeared in one form or another throughout the films (the Tessaract from "Iron Man" to "Avengers" and the various stones throughout the phase two films). An infinity stone shows up and yeah, it's just another plot device and it's presence is only there to to bring about The Vision who's literally a walking, talking deus ex machina. If this film isn't compressing itself, it's busy leading into the huge two-parter coming in 2018.

I say gently caress that poo poo. I'm looking forward to seeing Batman and Superman beat the poo poo out of eachother in 2016. Yeah, "Man of Steel" was terrible but I don't care, it's Batman vs Superman, it's the fight of the drat century and it's going to be glorious. Good or bad will yet to be seen.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 3, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
EDIT: sorry, double-post.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

Yeah, the movie was originally a 2.5 hour cut with a lot more character DO-RA-MA in it, and they made Whedon cut that stuff down to the bare minimum with greater focus on the action and plot. That's why he's said he won't be working on future Avengers films. His beautiful, brilliant character angst was cut. What remains in the film is like all Whedon character drama: effective if you're 13, eye-rolling if you're not.

Thank christ, frankly. Avengers 2 was a fine movie, but it was actively worsened by his terrible tone-less dialogue. (One of the greatest things about the first Avengers film was how heavily Whedon's "writing voice" was reined in, so everyone still sounded like themselves. In Avengers 2, he ran hog-wild and even Captain Goddamn America sounds like Joss Fuckin' Whedon. Seriously, that guy writes every single character to sound like a disaffected snarky teenager no matter who they are or where they're from in every single one of his works, and It's Always Been Awful.) Anyway, having seen a giant swath of his past work, I am 110% certain that if the movie was 3.5 hours long, it wouldn't have made the character writing any better or the thematic core any deeper or whatever he was going on about. Whedon has never written convincingly human characters, and he's never written anything with a notable level of depth either.

That's just my feelings, of course. :v: Not a fan of the Whedon.
Preach, sister :allears: It's interesting how you latched onto his dialouge so much, though. I mean, my points of reference for Whedon are only Firefly and these two films so I'm not too aware of his conventions so it's why I"m latching on to the bigger problems like his terrible pacing and compression. That whole "language" running gag got really old quick, it just felt really, really petty. Now that you brought it up, it does feel very teenager-y.

EDIT: drat, I think I've been mispelling his name...

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Avengers 2 is the point where that finally becomes a problem.

Like, you can see literally any other Marvel movie as your first Marvel movie and still get a complete story. They're not all equally good, and there are running threads throughout the movies that you wouldn't pick up on if any given movie is your first, but otherwise the movies have all done a rather stellar job of being good movies both on their own and contributing to the larger movieverse.

Avengers 2 ditches that and depends entirely on the audience having watched, at the very least, Avengers 1 so you'd know what Loki's staff is, Captain America 2 so you'd know about Shield being destroyed while Hydra is still on the loose, and Guardians of the Galaxy so you'd know the finer details of the Infinity Stones. If you haven't watched those films, you're hosed, as they don't spend any time explaining anything that was explained in those movies, which is a problem because they all have things to contribute to this movie that you wouldn't know about if you'd just watched this movie.
And it's all a blatant marketing decision--the beauty of continuity for shareholders and marketers is that it makes everything and anything required reading/viewing, and that means more consumption. I saw this comming a long time ago, I even had my own thread about it on Cinema Discusso.

• Locked thread