Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

achillesforever6 posted:

Good thing the Russo Bros seem better at doing the job than Joss, like in Winter Soldier everyone has a unique personality and its not all loving quips. I mean I really enjoyed AOU, but I'm glad Joss is done with the MCU.
Wait, he's not doing Infinity War?

Oh and I forgot something. When Scarlet Witch fucks with Black Window's head, one of her visions is being wheeled down the halls of a hospital and even seeing surgical tools. So we know she's had surgery done without her consent, why does she need to go into detail with Bruce about something so very, very traumatic when she just re-lived it? Why the gently caress does Whedon show us one moment and then explain the next? It's because he's a hack who thinks about as much for his audience as he does for his own characters which is gently caress all. Seriously, gently caress that guy, I'm pissed now.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Beefstew posted:

Also, saying that gore is crucial to Mortal Kombat's appeal is inherently wrong, and there's an entire generation of kids who grew up with Super Nintendos that can attest to that.
Only because they didn't have a Genesis and couldn't plug in the blood code, you dummy :colbert:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh god, here we go, Half in the Bag covers Age of Ultron

Rich, what the hell are you doing with your face, stop that.
Oh crap, I'm gonna go to hell for that, but that Hank Pym joke had me laughing so hard :roflolmao:

Incidentially, that's my suspicion why Edgar Wright was kicked off the Ant-Man film, he was gonna bring up the elephant in the room.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

achillesforever6 posted:

I think its more that Edgar Wright was working on this Ant Man film even before Iron Man 1 and a lot has changed in the way Marvel wants to make their movies which lead to disagreements and ultimately Wright leaving
Fair enough. If anything, I hope he has the chance to do a proper superhero film again. I really think he's more of a silver-age DC kinda guy if DC actually appreciated that kind of thing for their films :sigh:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So today I realized for the first time that I've known of Linkara's existence for years, and I have never thought to wonder why it's called "Atop The Fourth Wall".
Most definetly a reference to the fourth wall in media :shrug:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Puppy Time posted:

Speaking as a professional illustrator, this is part of a general trend of really lovely treatment of artists on the part of people wanting art, and it's REALLY difficult to get paid a living wage for my work when people get used to the idea that, say, $100-300 is a decent price for a high-quality piece on a for-profit enterprise.

So, y'know, at least to me it IS that bad. They're basically hoping they can get some bargain price art by conning people who might not know what their work is worth.
Then in your opinion, what should be the going rate for a high-quality art piece that would compensate the artist at a cost-of-living wage?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

lornekates posted:

(By "you", I mean the generic You, not Benny the Snake specifically).
I get you. Personally speaking though, I have no frame of reference for freelance work so I was going in this completely ignorant. But yeah, even *I* could tell that the powers that be at Channel Awesome were criminally under-charging the artist.

And you know what? Doug's an artist, too! He should know better than to lowball an artist so much. This makes it official, Doug walker is a straight-up a hostile an exploitive employer, him and his brother Rob and that other chucklehead Mike.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 13, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
*EDIT* never mind

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic?
Australia rather like the US in that it's a huge country and has a variety of different ecosystems in it, from rainforests in the north, to coastal temperate climates, coastal tropical climates, cold mountainous areas where you can die of hypothermia, grasslands, dry woodlands, to climates that begin to verge on English climates once you get as far south as Tasmania. Here in Canberra we get four seasons, and right now we're enjoying some beautiful autumn colours.

edit: ok I suppose you decided not to ask that question. Righto then.
Yeah, I just saw Mad Max: Fury Road so at first I thought I was being snarky and then I realized I was just stupid. A better question would be why, in your opinion, does your nation lend itself to post-apocalyptic films such as the Mad Max series.

Can we still be friends? :ohdear:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 19, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Thank you to both Wrageowrapper and Infamous Sphere for the explainations. "Fury Road" was my first Mad Max film and my closest analogue was my favorite videogame and post-apocalypse series of all time--the Fallout series. Although the series was very much influenced by the Mad Max films, there's no driving in those games. At all. In fact, if the aesthetics in the Mad Max films are punk-rock and Australian car culture, Fallout is straight-up American 50s cold war paranoia and b-movie science fiction. Maybe just a pinch of Golden Age Westerns as well. It's become a common complaint how, now that Bethesda has the liscence and have brought the games into modern 3d and first-person perspective, there's no motorcycles. That's probably how Fallout 3 was based so much on the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion engine and a lot of fans figure out that, even with fast travel, walking/runing around in the wasteland gets tedious after a while.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 19, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jay O posted:

In general, I love that "leather in the desert" aesthetic, it just makes my heart happy.
You should really play the Fallout series, then! :love:

I'm curious, though--isn't leather the last thing you'd want to wear in extreme heat? Also, how is it that George Miller can do so many diverse projects from Mad Max to Babe and just about everything in between? 'Cause something tells me that Warner Bros. is gonna use Mad Max 5 as leverage to get him to direct a DC Comics film.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Damon Lindeloff was one of the producers and writers on this film. He was the same genius behind "Star Trek: Into Darkness" and had this little chessnut to say in an interview with The Daily Beast:

The Daily Beast posted:

So even off of Twitter, you’re clearly aware of how the Damon Lindelof brand of storytelling plays with your haters. Have you ever thought, maybe this time… no ambiguity, no mystery box? 
It’s so hard because it probably should deter me from doing that stuff, but at the end of the day my type is my type. It’s sort of the equivalent of saying, “Damon, you always fall for really tough, blonde Catholic girls, and every time you go out with one it just ends poorly.” It’s like, yup! And tomorrow night I’m going out on a date with a tough, blonde Catholic girl. That’s just what floats my boat, that’s what turns me on. And by the way, I’m now married to one and it’s working out pretty well so far.

Oh, and the title of the article? Damon Lindlelof's Persecution Complex: 'There are People who are Gunning for Me' :fuckoff:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 24, 2015

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well he's not wrong.
True, it's just how incredibly :smug: he is about it. That and "Star Trek: Into Darkness" was so terrible that it insulted my intelligence.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Echo Chamber posted:

Into Darkness wasn't a bad Trek movie. It was a bad movie, period.

Everyone has their own example of a movie that embodies everything that's wrong with film in the past 10 years or so. A film that goes beyond being flawed but having all their numerous problems synergizing into a new tier of aggressive mediocrity. For some it's still Transformers. Others may pick The Amazing Spider-Man or The Man of Steel or The Lone Ranger.

For me it's easily STID.
Me too, brother :(:hf::(

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

OldMemes posted:

JJ Abrams did pretty good with those two movies, honestly, but Into Darkness has issues. I'm looking forward to what he's going to do with Star Wars.
Well his Trek team isn't involved so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Moviebob's back doing Game Overthinker on Screw Attack and...you know what, it's actually pretty good. Mostly because Screw Attack has a handle on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udarBlE07N4

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 90s Scholastic Book Chat

On another note, are there any really good contemporary book reviewers out there?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Something that struck me was how much this film resembled a sci-fi horror film like "Predator" or "Alien". From the heart rate monitors to the nightvision cameras to how the Indominus Rex can camouflage. Yeah, I know, nighvision goggles were in the original film but the cameras and the POV-kills felt very much like a sci-fi horror film in that vein. It also felt like "Avatar" in how Vincent D'onofrio's character was the designated military-industrial-complex villain, thumping his chest, wanting to weaponize the raptors and sell them but he dies brutally in the end.. I have to agree, the violence did feel a little unpleasant at certain times as if it was a directorial decision "because I can".

I heard somewhere where the director of "Jurassic World" went to Stephen Spielberg and demanded a new script because it was terrible. I have to wonder how much worse or even better the original script was.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arcsquad12 posted:

No because see, Terminator 2 is bad because it makes Arnold a pussy and isn't anything like the grizzled grimy dirty MAN'S MAN 80s action film Terminator version. Which ironically would fall into Bob's own derision for manly man 80s action films whenever he whines that the Expendables beat a movie he liked at the box office.
You're over thinking this--Moviebob's reason for disliking T2 is because, according to him,"The 90s sucked"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Terrible Opinions posted:

What I don't get about Ring Theory is how it's supposed to make me think that the prequels are better movies. Like "this all lines up" doesn't change them being bad movies.

It's equal parts nostalgia, fandom, beginning literary theory, and healthy amounts of cargo cult trying to legitimize a series of mediocre-to-bad films in a shared universe. Granted, I used to drink the same Kool-Aid, but for Zack Snyder's terrible DC films.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread