Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

johnfw50 posted:

Rap Critic's Top Nine Rap Songs is up.
He's doing a gofund me for a trip to Italy for a Summer Program called Opera in Oberlin
http://www.gofundme.com/k9fcb4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Apparently Channel Awesome is looking to start a Patreon :lol:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I noticed that Todd got on Yahoo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Called it, Wiggle is #1.
I was really sad when I learned that Michael Keaton's son helped write that song

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

Hey, I discuss movies and TV for a living, what do you want from me? :v: (Okay I discuss Japanese cartoons for a living, but I try to keep myself rounded by ingesting all kinds of cinematic media.) On a more positive note, I just watched Transparent. It's really good! I also watched Obvious Child. It's super-simple and cute, but also very good! I don't just hate on things and dismiss things all the time. I like things and hate things with equal fervor, and am "meh" on things pretty frequently too, it's just less fun to talk about them because the emotion of "meh" is not a fun one.

If "arrogant blowhard" means "confident in their opinions and explains them at length," I'll take it. If you mean I'm pretentious, don't seem to know what I'm talking about, and my arguments don't make any sense and have no basis in reality, then sure, I'd have a bone to pick with that. But I don't think that's what you mean, so it's whatever. I know my own tastes and I don't mince words when I talk about media. I never demand or even expect people to agree with me, but I think discussion is better when people are brutally honest about their feelings and opinions. I think that's a-okay.

I literally don't understand what you mean by the "Of SCIENCE" thing, though. I don't associate that with pretentious blowhards, I associate that with 15-year old nerds shouting memes at conventions.
Did you see the pilot for that adaptation of "The Man in the High Castle"? Hopefully that becomes a full series on Amazon TV

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I know I talked about it last thread, but Rollo T posted this twitter and god :drat:

Good on him for losing 120 pounds :gowron:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Joe went to Congress in costume? I like the guy for his goofball charm, that's pretty unprofessional. Are members of the public just allowed to go to congress, or do you have to be invited/jump through loads of hoops?
Yeah I remember that being a big deal with some of the producers back at the time because Joe means well, but he is kind of dense some times when it comes to stuff like this. This was also around the time of the Geoff incident. All I remember is Lordkat saying how much an idiot Joe was on his stream at the time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Now we just countdown till we get Patton on Best of the Worst :getin:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cyron posted:

go put it on your twitter so your yesmen of fans can cheer you on.
Holy poo poo man, are you really doubling down on this?

E: Sorry didn't see that the discussion had moved on

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 31, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tracula posted:

Spoony belittles his fans pretty often, it's nothing new.
Ironic considering his opinions of the WWE

Also that Shadows of Mordor controversy on Joe's video is some bullshit, I he really hits the nail on the head for that one.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Rebochan posted:

Plus he had multiple hit singles.

He was definitely a flash-in-the-pan act, but he also sold 15 million copies of his first album.

Seriously, early 90s, what was wrong with you? Bush Sr. AND Vanilla Ice?!
Yeah that's like me saying that he should do Faith No More's "Epic" when they still had a lot of hits afterwards albeit not in the US

I just like seeing how much history Todd digs up for his videos and Faith No More's is pretty interesting

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/
Its gotta be weird watching anything John Hannah now after he played Batiatus in Spartacus

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Vicas posted:

He's saying they're racist because they're perfectly happy to perpetuate a system that privileges one racial group over others. None of them would say "we cast Benedict Cumberpatch because he is white" but in practice "we cast Benedict Cumberbund because he's a big name star who will do well at the box office" has the exact same result: people of color don't get major rolls because they aren't "bankable stars"
It also expands beyond race like why its so hard for Hollywood to make a female Superheroine film because films like Elektra and Catwoman bombed

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Unless the GITS movie is being set in the west, in which case who gives a gently caress. It's every bit our prerogative to relocate and recontextualize an adaptation as it is for Japan to make Spider-Man Japanese and give him a giant robot.

EDIT: I feel the need to further explain, so nobody gets the wrong idea. If the GITS movie is still set in Japan, and the Major is still named Matoko Kusanagi, then yeah casting Scarlett Johanson is pretty hosed. But if the story's been fundamentally recontextualized, then it's a bit premature to scream whitewashing.
Yeah I think for GITS you can change things without it being too bad on the whitewashing, now if this was AKIRA then yeah it would be loving horrible

Found this bit of news, apparently someone is trying to get all the episodes of Transmission Awesome back from the dead
http://channelawesome.com/forums/threads/operation-restore-the-awesome.53122/
Shame that TA got purged from Blip, but I'm glad someone went through all the effort to try to save them.

TA was always a good show to listen to on my free time, though its going to be awkward listening to some of them knowing how a lot of the talent has left on bad terms because of CA being lovely.

I wish Paw would release some new Music Movies, but understandably he's pretty busy being a dad now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

This has the best Rich Evans laugh of all time by the way so it is a must watch

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

...people find this shtick funny?
Its his voice that makes me laugh, I just like the way Mike does the Plinkett voice

Miss Wallace posted:

The hell did I just watch!?
A snippet from the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Mr. Plinkett video :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

p sure it was actually Jack, but please, keep making up your mind about people on the word of internet strangers

also continue to think that most people even think of the word "tranny" as a slur in the first place
No I rewatched it, it was Rich who made the joke

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I was of course going to bring up Fallout New Vegas, but then I thought, nah they didn't really treat rape with any class what with Cook-Cook and the Fiends :stonk:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I was watching my twitter feed for the Oscars and it was pretty funny how pissed off Bennett got whenever Birdman won anything especially Best Picture.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay O posted:

The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: I Can't Believe It's Not GBS
Hey the RLM thread in GBS is much better except for their hatred of Jack for some reason. :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BobbyK posted:

For some reason I feel like this is accurate of most of the people who get really, really into internet critics.
That or really depressed like I was when I was really into internet critics. That's why I always have a soft spot for Linkara's videos because his were the ones that really helped me out when I was really down (that and Spoony)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

So am I the only person here watching internet critics out of pure boredom rather than self medication?
Well now I do thankfully

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Are there any video games with moral choice systems where the "good" side isn't the right side?
A lot of quests in Fallout New Vegas end up like this

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Man Angry Joe really doesn't like the actress for Wonder Woman, kind of acting like a dick about it on twitter saying she isn't "being serious about bulking up for it"

He's really into the Gina Carano should have been Wonder Woman even though she can't act for poo poo

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I don't really think an Amazon has to be built like a brick shithouse

I mean hell just look at how the Greeks drew Amazons in their vase art
https://www.google.com/search?q=ama...iw=1366&bih=643

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

To be fair to Marvel, "They're kinda, not really gods" was the line from the comics as well.
The only god in the Marvel universe is Jack Kirby

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Gyges posted:

It's a well established fact that people on the internet are the worst. Digital pseudo anonymity makes people dicks and allows them to otherize those they are attacking to a degree that history's biggest psychopaths would find disturbing. Our monkey brains just haven't evolved fast enough to keep up with our technology.
No its really hipsters that are worse than nerds now let me tell you how mad I am that the director of Birdman said a mean thing about superhero movies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

High Warlord Zog posted:

You know, for an internet critic Doug sure doesn't internet very well. Maybe I'm being disingenuous, but considering his non-existent social media presence, and the absolute lack of fucks given re: managing his website and the community it attracts, this seems a fair assumption.
I remember in old episodes of Transmission Awesome, the reason it took so long to interview Doug is apparently he's really really bad with computers.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I'm impressed by her dogged insistence of doing her thing despite being about Osama bin Laden level for a chunk of insane people.
Meanwhile apparently Tim Schafer is now a grand wizard from the way people have been reacting to his dumb joke at GDC.

Which adds up to the hate at Double Fine because people apparently can't apparently comprehend that game development takes time and that there are delays. And even then the main focus iirc of the kickstarter was more on filming the development of Broken Age rather than the game itself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

e X posted:

Linkara's terrible storyline are surprisingly popular and he is really into it. I mean, he has a series of self-published novels, a webcomic and a self-published limited comic series. I guess he is just one of those people who really want to tell a story but don't have the technical skill to realize it on a greater scale. But the success of AT4W gave him an audience and the money to do so. And while I don't think the plot will be anything to write home about, I guess you can assume the technical aspect will be handled well, since he had the foresight to actually use the money he raised to hire some professional people to do the heavy lifting for him.
Yeah, you got to at least respect Linkara in the fact that he'll at least put effort in his lovely storylines and not half rear end it. Plus he's a nice guy from all accounts (though I've heard he's too nice/friendly to the point of being annoying) so if he wants to make his fans happy then by all means make your lovely little movie. Me I just wait until October when he does his horror comic videos which are fun and informative imo.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

...What the gently caress happened to Mike? :stare:
Booze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPx9OA9sz7A&t=292s
His voice was weird too when he was younger

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

He also moved to Arizona for a bit iirc

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

http://channelawesome.com/nostalgia-critic-daredevil/
Man I know Daredevil is a lovely movie (though the DC is better), but man I hate the nitpicks he does for it.

Also what's his problem with childhood bullies who are assholes all the time?

And he doesn't some to understand Greek names and thinks they are just bullshit thrown together.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Kalos posted:

Since Phelous appears to be a goon favorite, us there a particular episode or series of his that stand out? I found him to be insufferable in the past, but as such a consistent goon darling there must be something worth a second look and it's entirely possible I just saw his worst.
I love his Halloweenie videos
http://phelous.com/category/phelous/halloweenie/
Mainly because of his theme song but also his voice just makes me grin like an idiot

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

ZakAce posted:

Seeing as noone's posted this:

New Cinemadonna! A League of Their Own: http://blip.tv/todds-pop-song-reviews/cinemadonna-a-league-of-their-own-7176582

Next up: Body of Evidence. YESSSS :getin:
Man looking back the 90s were kind of the golden age of sports movies, especially baseball movies weren't they?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

The best episode will always be Space Mutiny.
Yeah because no one can beat Reb Brown

Though I have a fondness for Soultaker

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

This episode doesn't get enough love when discussions about the best of MST3K come up. I HAD A PRETTY MIIIIIIND!
For some reason the joke that has stuck with me and my brother is the "We are thinking of Adopting" joke from the beach scene in that movie

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I like Tabletop a lot (though yea some episodes don't work well at all), and Wil's recounting of why he is in fact a living monster was probably one of the best things Tabletop has ever produced. This whole show could be terrible and still be alright just for spawning that story.
My personal favorite is Unspeakable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU9FzW5QyEg
Because Troy Baker :swoon:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I bet Lupa would like this one since it has a Cynthia Rothrock movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

Three hour RAW is loving absurd and anybody with sense should know that. Unless you're making a Sherlock or a Wallander, where a season of the show is more like a collection of shortish TV movies, no episodic television program should clock in over an hour. Period.
The amazing thing is you can't really blame WWE on this for once because they were actually forced to go 3 hours long by USA. They hate the show being three hours because they can't write a three hour show because by the time Monday comes along, Vince just rips up the script 5 hours before show time and they have to rewrite it from scratch.

• Locked thread