Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Wheat Loaf posted:

Loads of Doctor Who references in that comic, too, at a time when that was fairly "only nerds and PBS viewers know about it" territory in America.
And on the verge of cancellation in the UK, now that I think about it.

There's also an issue where Excalibur turn into animes and meet not!Dirty Pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Tracula posted:

To go back to RLM again one of my absolute favorite things about them over them TGWTG veterans is I believe most of them have said they never even really watched MST3K while growing up. I just sort of appreciate them doing their own memes and bullshit when reviewing movies that MST3K might have covered rather than just aping what someone else did before them.
It even came up in the latest BotW: they didn't find out until after watching Future War that MST3k had covered it.

Robert Denby posted:

The four minutes of black screen with music is a holdover from the ‘roadshow’ days. If you see “Lawrence of Arabia” (or any roadshow movie really) in a theater, the overture plays at or a couple minutes before the start time while the house lights are still up, kind of like a play. At the end of the overture, the house lights dim, and the curtains open for the Columbia logo. There's also music at the end of the intermission to prompt people that the movie is starting back in a few minutes. These elements work awkwardly on home video but since its technically part of the film, it gets included if you watch something like "2001", "West Side Story", "Ben-Hur", "Spartacus", et al on home video. Funny story; when the fully-restored version of "Lawrence" first came out on home video in 1990, rental places had people returning the film thinking there was something wrong with it because of this.
One of the biggest surprises in my Netflix-watching was discovering that Star Trek: The Motion Picture of all things had an overture.

Sometimes I wish movies still had intermissions. It'd be a lot easier to commit to seeing a longer movie if I had a guaranteed bathroom/snack break in the middle. I still remember my friend's account of going to see The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. During the scene where everybody's riding barrels down the rapids, my friend got up, used the bathroom, got a drink, had a chat with an usher, went back to the theater, and it was still the same scene.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This wrestling derail is worse than all the other ones because it actually makes me want to start reading and watching all the backstage drama and possibly even actual wrestling. It just sounds like such a convoluted, drama-riddled trainwreck spanning decades and involving dozens of people and millions of dollars, which is my favourite kind of trainwreck.

... but I guess I could do this instead. It's not like I'm supposed to be spending Thanksgiving with my family or anything.

My dad got big into WWF back in the 90's pretty much for that reason: because it was like 70's Marvel Comics brought to life.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

What got me was bleeping "Holy c*w!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'd be interested in another long Final Fantasy look, maybe at 8 since that's probably one of the more interesting failures in Square's catologue, a game that isn't AWFUL but has glaring flaws coming after something as massive as 7. It deserves a better look than the Spoony "LOL CLOUD? MORE LIKE EMO GAY!" videos.
It's not Internet Critic-y, but this Let's Play up in Games has been doing a pretty good job of that.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

KKall posted:

Or maybe it's just how creative types operate - we're all ashamed of our past work because we're all ashamed of our past selves. I mean, have you ever tried to read anything you wrote in high school?

High school? I don't like reading what I wrote yesterday.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

^ This guy gets it.

Of course, a common bit of advice for the revision process for writers is to take advantage of this, set the work aside for a while, and then read it as if it were written by someone else. It works both ways: sometimes you look at a passage you liked and decide it needs fixing, and sometimes you look at one you thought was crap and realize it wasn't that bad.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Hahaha I totally missed it, but Moviebob's last upload was him defending his weird "which characters should be amiibos" list in the most passive aggressive way. Also he should never turn to his side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt1-5VHctuI
Speaking of which, every week I like to do the Matt Jones crossword, which is syndicated in my town's indie paper, and the latest one has a reference to MovieBob's "Pixels" review.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

An indie paper crossword where one of the questions pertains to a angry YouTube review of an Adam Sandler comedy film about video games which was loosely based on a short film. :pwn:

What was the clue/answer?

The theme was "Worst of Pop Culture, 2015."

The clue was "2015 Adam Sandler movie that got an epic ten-minute review/rant from 'MovieBob Reviews' on YouTube."

The answer was... well, you know.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

I forget which game it was, but I once saw a video of an FPS mission where, thanks to the way it was scripted, the player didn't have to do a thing, except maybe fire a single shot from a turret. There was no risk to the player, nothing to gain from opening fire, and no tension whatsoever. That's what I'd call "not a game." If it doesn't have a goal that depends on some skill or ability to accomplish, I have trouble thinking of it as a "game."

Which isn't always a bad thing. There's a solar system app for Oculus Rift that I once tried out at the local library. That definitely wasn't a game: it was a VR tour of the solar system, with factoids about each planet and moon. And I had a lot of fun with it.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

At what point did Baywatch become the highest-rated show, or such an international hit? Or was it all so gradual that it took a while to notice?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

The name "Kelly Slater" always makes me think of a possible Saved by the Bell future where Ms. Kapowski married Mario Lopez's character.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Is MST3k cheating? Because my brain keeps jumping to Monster A-Go-Go.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Lots of MST3K films fit that criteria but none of them are memorable as the "fun" bad ones like Manos.

I'd say Manos is only "fun" because MST3k made it that way. Otherwise it's shoddy, stagnant and depressing. I can't imagine ever watching it without riffs.

"Fun" bad is something like The Room or Miami Connection: movies that are so good at being bad that they become sublime. (I edited out Fateful Findings, because I'm not sure you can even call Neil Breen's movies "bad." They're so much their own thing. For all the technical deficiencies, he's achieving exactly what he sets out to do.)

LFK posted:

Yes, though they usually end up being namely insufferably full of themselves, which is worse than whatever "intentional" badness they put on screen.
I think it tends to be executed better on TV, like Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, maybe because it comes in smaller doses. Whereas both Lost Skeleton of Kedavra movies got pretty tiresome after a while.

I also have a weakness for TV episodes where the characters go to see bad conceptual art, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 25, 2016

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I admit that I was out of the theater between the point where you first see Rey and when you see her wearing the helmet, so it's possible that I missed something critical.
I totally understand. I had to step out between Finn leaving with the two aliens and came back right at the end of Rey's lightsaber vision, and had to see it again to get the full context. In your case, if I remember correctly, the shots you missed probably would have clarified Rey's character a great deal.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh - you just reminded me. I was talking about a terrible kids/family movie I saw on Twitter, and someone told me about The Peanut Butter Solution. Basically, it's about a kid whose hair falls out because of some ghosts, and then the ghosts give him a hair treatment to make his hair grow back, but it grows back too fast so an evil art teacher enslaves him and forces children to make magic paintbrushes out of his hair? Apparently just about everyone who watched it as a child thought that they'd imagined seeing it, because they thought it was too horrible to possibly exist - but then..it turned out it wasn't a dream. It was real.
So...hearing that premise, I really want Alison or Diamanda Hagan to review it.
I saw it at a special VHS night at the local film club about a year or so ago, and yeah. It's something, all right. I remember looking for Internet Reviews afterwards and either not finding that many or any at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Robert Denby posted:

There's a 1986 animated film, only released in Japan in theaters and rental-only VHS, which is about as good as a 'faithful' adaptation could probably be. It is a completely straightforward adaptation, complete with sounds from the game and bizarre product placement for all these Mario food tie-ins (Mario and Luigi literally eat Mario brand curry at one point and tell you the viewer that you should buy this delicious food).
Strangest thing about that 80's animated Mario for me: in that one, Mario and Luigi aren't plumbers. They run a grocery store.

Also, in an early twist on the formula, when Peach is rescued, she winds up with a prince instead of Mario.

• Locked thread