Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Arcsquad12 posted:

He can strike a good balance between letting terrible OVAs speak for themselves and actually having some quite insightful moments. Unfortunately, this can also be frustrating, when he's discussing a show you might want a more in depth look at, and instead he goes for the poop joke instead.

That sums up my option of him pretty well. he really seems to know his stuff and it is really interesting when he goes into detail with it, but sadly his show is often too routed into the Nostalgia Critic formula. I mean, occasionally his jokes are legitimately funny, but overall, I have the feeling there is a lot squandered potential in his reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Well, I think that comes from one producer actually asking for people to basically pay his rent for him, which did rub a lot of people wrong.

Problem is of course, Patreon is nothing like that. It is basically like any other free web service that has paid premium membership that gives you some bonus (you know, like the tgwtg membership). It also isn't emotionally manipulative. So really, it doesn't really compare at all.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back.

He does, and things turn sexy.

:stonk:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

That sounds like you are moving away from the ""Summarization of movie, intercut with snarky comment" style.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You know, which how much of an integral part the Internet and information technology has become, that might not be the worst idea ever.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Has it ever been a popular theory that the Machines are actually the good guys during the movies? Because I maintain that what they did was fundamentally a kindness,albeit a very costly one, at least from their perspective.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MonsieurChoc posted:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-they-duel-thats-what-they-do/

Spoony meets a really bad L5R group that misinteprets a lot of poo poo to be as douchie as possible.

PvP is dumb as it is in pen and paper, but attacking an another character basically immediately after character creation over dumb in-game poo poo is even dumber. Is there more to L5R, or is it just Weeaboo the Game?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Metal Loaf posted:

Serious question: can anyone explain to me what the appeal of PewDiePie is?

Memetic language plays a huge role in Internet communication and as a result, hyperbole is pretty common. Piediepie's reaction are basically hyperbole put on film, so his reaction resonates very well with the way people communicate with each other online. When your reaction to Slender is 'SCARIEST GAME EVER' it's easy to enjoy a video that basically encapsulates that statement.

Honestly, it is really not that different from the Nostalgia Critic.

Edit: And I don't mean that as a critic or judgement, I just think that his fans, who basically grew up on Web 2.0 can actually identify really well with him. I mean, can you think of a better embodiment of ' I can't even'?

e X fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

Maybe they won't try to rig it so the contestants will win against Doug and accidentally mix up the sheets, therefore letting Doug easily win and splitting the prize between the losers as a consolation!

:allears:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mischalaniouse posted:

I always saw the Law/Chaos spectrum as not necessarily literally following laws but having an ordered way of looking at the world. A Lawful character believes in systems and codes of conduct. I don't think a Lawful Good character would be bound to uphold the laws of a Lawful Evil society. Even if this wasn't the intent of D&D's creators, I think it works better in actual practice.

I agree. The problem is that the first thing that comes to mind with "law" is the laws we deal with in everyday life, so you kind of default to law abiding citizen as archetype, hence the boring, goody two shoes stereotype. But like you said, that is not really what it is about, it simply refers to some kind of strict moral or procedural code that the characters follows. Which, when it comes to, let's say a paladin, would be the law of his order or his god, not whatever city state he is currently in.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jsor posted:

At least according the the D&D 5th ed rules, that's closer to Lawful Neutral.

I still think it's just better to ignore alignment rules.

I know that sounds pretty arrogant, but I don't think the D&D author do a good job of actually explaining these things well. Or better, they also too often use stereotypes. And alignments are fine, as long as you keep in mind that your actions inform your alignment, not the other way round.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

I was looking around a bit on Google for stuff with this currently drama bomb with Joe vs Broteam and I found this: http://angryjoesucks.blogspot.com/ . I figured that it woulda been updated 1-2 times every and been abandoned years ago but whoever is running this is loving obsessed with Joe to a rather creepy level :stare:

It's almost as if gamers are terrible or something.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yes and while I can't remember the video, I am petty sure he did outright say that what matters are the US charts. Which means I can probably look forward to 99 Red Balloons at some point.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

Holy poo poo. Just when I think MovieBob is the worst thing ever he somehow gets even shittier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYMAEBOR_4

The first six minutes of a twelve minute video are all dedicated to his awful skits and then he goes about making his point in the dumbest way possible. I like how he makes anyone who disagrees with his point the biggest dumbass strawman dudebro in every single video. I almost want to read his Super Mario Bro's 3 book just to see how much of a trainwreck it is.

I never owned a console in my life, so i have played very little Nintendo games aside from first gen pokemon, so this hardcore fanboy stuff is really off putting. He also contradicts himself a lot.

"Super Mario Bros. was groundbreaking, because they didn't just remade a first game. Okay they kinda did in Japan. But overseas they didn't. Okay, that was technically a re-skin of an unrelated game."

Also, the 'Golden Age of Videogames' seems to be more about the business opportunities than denoting actual quality. The technical limitations means that a lot of these games were very basic and bare bone. Plus, weren't most of them pretty blatant copes of each other? The entire thing just seems to be a very rose tinted view through the nostalgia goggles, similar to people who complain that modern games are too easy because because they mistake pisspoor design for

In the end, the notion that games to day are somehow less imagination or diverse than they were 30 years ago is simply bullshit. Yes, the AAA market is stale, but thats because the amount of money that is involved. But the diversity of gaming devices and the abilities of the Internet means that big publishers aren't as central anymore. The simple variety of games now is so much wider than it has ever been before.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Omnicrom posted:

Game overthinker is a truly embarrassing show. I really like Moviebob when he's doing 5-6 minute movie reviews or big picture episodes, and when he's doing short text articles to go along with them. However given an unlimited amount of time he makes truly cringe-worthy videos. I think Moviebob generally has his head on right when it comes to a lot of things and he's a good, thoughtful, and grounded critic, except when he's doing a 20 minute show with all the dumb skits: then he comes across as a twit.

Yes, I actually agree, I like both his shows on the Escapist, but when it comes to video games, his own nostalgia and fanboyism seem to pretty much blind him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have no idea why, but Mike's delivery on why he obviously didn't see Jupiter Acceding killed me.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Omnicrom posted:

Plinkett annoys me because his schtick gets in the way of the actual substance of his reviews. I'm watching a good and interesting critique of something and then out of nowhere I smash into a 2-minute brick of wall of skit leading to a yawning void bereft of humor and entertainment. Someday I want to go back and improve those videos by editing all the Mister Plinkett out of Mister Plinkett reviews. I think you'd get a similar improvement if you cut all the skits out of current era Nostalgia Critic as well.

The thing is, they added the whole shtick specifically because they thought nobody would want to listen to them bitching about Star Wars for over an hour without some gimmick.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm pretty sure you can hit two with one stone in this city without trying too hard.

And honestly, as much as I deeply respect Mike and Jay, and the rest of the RLM crew for their attitudes towards filmmaking and dedication to doing things themselves and not falling into the some of the other pitfalls other small time guys who got relatively big did, there are aspects of them that do piss me off. Mike being a curmudgeonly workaholic in particular kinda blows from what I've seen on the PR streams.

Why do you care, this has literally no effect on you.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Tracula posted:

Since I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin I just like to imagine that Plinkett is literally my neighbor and that I have a psychopath who tortures women and reviews the Star Wars prequels just a stones throw away :v:

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

There is also the bit with a plot hole in the recent Matrix Reloaded review.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Star Trek 09 makes a lot more sense once you realize that it is basically an audition tape for the directorial chair of Star Wars. The entire movie just has a lot more in common with that franchise in terms of aesthetics, plot and characters than it has with the one it is ostensibly rebooting.

Other than that, it isn't a terrible movie, really just another unremarkable remake that failed to do what it was supposed to, i.e. cementing its franchise in the current popculture.

e X fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Feb 23, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jack Gladney posted:

That seems like something that will eventually destroy kickstarter. I'm shocked there haven't been more high-profile frauds. I actually can't think of a single one.

A lot of people are treating Kickstarter as pre-order service or an investment opportunity, but what you are doing is actually donating money to a person and the promise to do there best to complete their project. But there are really no legal obligation.

Kickstarter is a good service if you want to realize a project that wont produce any profit, but way to many people use it to get the seed money for a business.

e X fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 28, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DStecks posted:

I have a lot of respect for Errant Signal, and he seems like a really intelligent guy, and definitely one of the few true game critics (as opposed to game reviewer). So I don't get how a guy who can see through to the cultural assumptions Civilization makes could also repeatedly insist that Bioshock has nothing to say about Objectivism. I'll spare you all the novella I could write about this, since I'm probably going to do a video of my own at some point, but literally every aspect of Bioshock is designed to communicate the idea than an objectivist society is inherently doomed. From the most superficial level, that Rapture is an objectivist society which has failed, to the most intricate: [UNMARKED, UNIVERSALLY KNOWN SPOILERS FOLLOW]

[...]

I think you are kind of confusing the protagonist with the player here. Jack's character wasn't the problem. Errant Signal's point, as I understood it, was that while the game's story is anti-Objectivist, its mechanics force you into the exact behavior it is criticizing.

So, to get the message, the game actively forces you, the player, to ignore its message.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 28, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

New Baywatching is up: The Fabulous Buchannon Boys! Mitch's sleepy brother shows up with his kid. Meanwhile, shoddy bikinis.
http://phelous.com/2015/03/10/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-fabulous-buchannon-boys/

Will the brother ever show up again, played by the same actor?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I think it's wonderful.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Fans posted:

Woman was wrong a few times, must never be allowed to speak again. Maybe she should just shut up and take it!

It's always a bit of a dickish thing to say that no one is allowed to complain unless they're a literal saint, let's not go down that path. She shouldn't be getting the poo poo she is, even if she says silly things now and then.

You are seriously reaching here.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DoombatINC posted:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.2.3.4.4.2.3: And

The best idea.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PassTheRemote posted:

Add computers and filmmaking to that list.

I do have a question. I've noticed a few people who are or were on TGWTG working on movies (Spoony and Linkara come to mind). Why is this? Linkara is making an AT4W movie? WHY? The Linkara "character" is not interesting enough to make a movie about? Did they see AVGN and say "I wanna do that too!"

Linkara's terrible storyline are surprisingly popular and he is really into it. I mean, he has a series of self-published novels, a webcomic and a self-published limited comic series. I guess he is just one of those people who really want to tell a story but don't have the technical skill to realize it on a greater scale. But the success of AT4W gave him an audience and the money to do so. And while I don't think the plot will be anything to write home about, I guess you can assume the technical aspect will be handled well, since he had the foresight to actually use the money he raised to hire some professional people to do the heavy lifting for him.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I can' t believe these men control the fate of the Internet Critic thread.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
New Loose Canon:

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/loose-canon-the-wicked-witch-of-the-west/

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rebochan posted:

Oh god, I think it broke Lindsey by the end.

Captain America is leading up the polling for the next one too :unsmigghh:

Eh, I hope Supes can catch up. As a pop cultural icon he is just vastly more interesting than Cap, who, outside of the last 5+ years, never really had a huge public presence or many different adaptions, which is the core of the whole show after all.

But since Marvel movies are currently big with what is essentially the target audience of LC I am somewhat pessimistic.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Blip was purchased by Maker Studios a while back, which in turn was bought by Disney, so they don't exist as an independent company anymore. I think Lindsay and a couple of other big time producers have some kind of promotional agreement with them.

And since Blip has been purging low view/ activity accounts in the last couple of years I know some channels which don't exist anymore, i.e. Welshys channel was deleted.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TheMaestroso posted:

Man, the whole making jokes during a review doesn't really work with this guy.

Do you mean Lynch or SFDebris, because the later would be really weird, he tends to be pretty funny.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I checked if there is a German DVD release and of course there is.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
You can't really compare an episode of a tv series to a live event.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's kinda understandable why he turned out that way though and It's kinda neat that he's basically the opposite of most protagonists in a mecha anime.

Yeah, Shini is probably what would happen if you would put a child or teenager in charge of saving the world.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
EVA's problem is kind of that it is far more popular than the works it references. Kind of like Watchmen.

No question you can enjoy it on its own, but the message probably resonates more if you are actually familiar with the character Shinji is based on. But since Eva is probably the most popular mecha anime out there, for a lot of people, it probably was the very first thing they saw. So, its not really that strange that people latch on to Shinji and want him to be a more conventional hero. Kind of like a lot of people latched on to Rorschach because he has all the markings of a badass antihero.

The show isn't the coping stone of an entire genre for you, but your starting point, so you have very different expectations from it and are naturally disappointed when that doesn't come to fruition, so you start to empathize the elements that its drew from the show you actually wanted to watch.

e X fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 28, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

PresidentBeard posted:

I think the only real problem with comparing the two is that Watchmen came from a place of examining what sort of people would choose to be superheroes of their own freewill, whereas in Eva no one is in control of their own lives. No one in the show is how a normal person would react to piloting a giant robot, because literally no one in the show is a normal person. They are all profoundly broken people either from trauma or preexisting mental illness. I have difficulty relating to them because I've never had clinical depression, trauma in line with finding my parent's recently dead corpse, or anything of the like coloring my childhood. Eva is not asking normal people to save the world, it's asking people who should be getting psych help every day to save the world. Showing me that these people are incapable of robot piloting is no more profound than showing me a man with no arms repeatedly failing to contribute to a basketball game.

That all said the last two episodes were excellent television.

I didn't mean their content, I meant their impact. Both were a kind of reckoning with their respective genres and as a result, work best when you are deeply familiar with said genres, but because they are also both massively popular, they are often the first thing someone might experience when they try to get into these genres.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Hostly, the idea for the show is great. there are so many shows dedicated to ripping things apart, having one grounded in positivity is a nice change of pace. I also thing he raises a lot of interesting points, e.g. the science vs religion thing. I know that atheism on the Internet has a bad rep thanks to the angry white teenagers, but he does presents the argument pretty well. The whole part on why kids latched onto Ghostbuster does seems to be a lot like projection though, I agree. Which isn't necessarily bad, just kind of at odds with the more general tone of the rest of the video.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MisterBibs posted:

Goon (or goon-type) folks try and forget that among your average Trek fan, DS9 is considered the worst Trek. The Trek threads are littered with this form of culture shock: "I talked to someone who loves Trek, but always rolls their eyes when I suggest watching DS9! :qq:" If there's any alternative universe at play, it's one where DS9 isn't the black sheep of Trek.

Seriously, in a world where both Enterprise ans Voyager exist, DS9 is considered the black sheep of the franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Some points:

- Brads pretty good, so they should give him more banter.
- The gimmick is so confuse, it should be explained. Why is there a general there? why go with the kidnapping angle at all?
- Why is the entire thing shot in shot/reverse shot? Can't we get one with both, candidates and host?
-The idea with the gimmick is pretty clever, reminds me of a party game. Should happen a lot more though, otherwise it's kinda pointless
- How about introducing your games before playing them?
- How about explaining why you play them?
- Where the hell did the White General came from?
- The handheld camera on during those games is awful!
- Okay, just two rounds of rapid fire question? That kinda dull.

• Locked thread