Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Relevant CA convos concerning my departure:
http://imgur.com/a/K8Xe4

If that isn't alright I'm happy to edit the post and apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Jsor posted:

Eh, I mostly wanted to keep CA drama off the first page or so. Talking about CA stuff should be okay now that we're settled in, as long as we only talk about people who volunteer info like you and don't do creepy internet detective work.

E: Lupa, the midroll discussion had me wondering. Is it hard to know exactly where Blip will insert midrolls? I remember that, at least on some of your videos, the ads had a weird habit of interrupting you mid-sentence sometimes. That was really the only complaint I had about your midrolls (though I didn't email Channel Awesome about it or anything dumb like that).

Blip gives you a general area to put midrolls on, but no matter where you pause it, it'll round it to the nearest second. So, that's why sentences get cut off sometimes. Although, if you skip to the ads and watch them, you can go back to the beginning and watch the rest of the video without the ad interrupting again.

EDIT: And yes, I have been told CA was planning on starting a Patreon. I'm sure they'll make bank and become even lazier.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I'll pass it on and see if the issue can be fixed. :)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baywatch is a wonderful gift.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

HopperUK posted:

'Think of me next time you rub Hobie's back'

:stare:

Yeah, it was just as creepy in the episode. I cut out most of the scene that made the back rubbing comment make sense, because it is also creepy.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Ultragonk posted:

Best show not on TV. Jaws quote as well, I love it. Lupa it maybe too far in the future but do you think you'll be giving Baywatch Nights the same treatment?

What Mokinokaro said, but also I did a Manic Episodes a loooong time ago on a Baywatch Nights ep if you'd care to see it:

http://blip.tv/OLPresents/me-baywatch-nights-the-eighth-seal-4990024

It's the ep where Mitch is possessed by a demon! Keep in mind I hadn't even seen Baywatch proper at that point, and the technical quality isn't the best. I'll go over the ep again in Baywatching when it comes to it, but that'll be a long time coming.

Rebochan posted:

So... two things...

1. So if Craig and Gina aren't on the show anymore, where does Eddie live now?

....what in god's name could the context be?!

1. I honestly don't remember where Eddie's living; he might've moved in with Shauni. It'd make sense since they're engaged now, but I suppose I'll remember whenever it comes to it.

2. So the whole thing with the "sea monster" victim staying at Mitch's house was all some convoluted thing where he asked her to stay to keep her from talking to that nosy reporter. Mitch wakes up in the middle of the night to her crying, and tries to comfort her next to the fireplace. He mentions when Hobie has trouble sleeping he rubs his back (???) and she asks him to rub her back. He does, and things turn sexy. Then he breaks it off and says it's gotta end there. 'Cause he's a nice guy. A nice, creepy guy.

I had to cut out a lot since Nightmare Bay was a two-parter and it would've gone on forever.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I don't wanna be "That Guy" And tell you how to do your job, but this should have been in there.

Edit: It's amazing how thin the line between romantic and creepy is though.

Ha ha, it probably should have been. I also cut out most of Shauni's subplot where she goes to a bad inner city neighborhood to get the kids she rescued into the swim program. In that case though it was mostly because it was boring.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Alacron posted:

Finally caught up on all of Baywatching, and I'm somehow still amused by Eddy the Weeny. :allears:

I'm so amped to get to the Gilligan's Island one you don't even know.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

14 episodes away!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

My show's getting a major retool, here's the update on it.
http://phelous.com/2015/01/20/obscurus-lupa/extras-obscurus-lupa/goodbye-obscurus-lupa-presents-hello-movie-nights/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

lornekates posted:

Doug game show quote

Maybe they won't try to rig it so the contestants will win against Doug and accidentally mix up the sheets, therefore letting Doug easily win and splitting the prize between the losers as a consolation!

Edit: And maybe they'll release the other shows without first having the threat of their campaign being investigated by Indiegogo!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Idran posted:

No, it sounds like she meant the opposite of bias towards Doug that they ended up screwing up. They tried to rig it so Doug would lose, but they mixed something up and Doug got the easy stuff by mistake.

Still hilariously incompetent, but at least not knowingly horrible to the fans they brought in as contestants.

Also they only just now bought a score board.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The premiere of Movie Nights, Kindergarten Ninja, is now public! The ghost of Bruce Lee must set a NFL superstar on the right path. There are also children.

http://phelous.com/2015/01/29/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-kindergarten-ninja/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Thanks for the support on the first Movie Nights ep! Filmed another one today on a terrible sasquatch movie.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

echopapa posted:

Is Movie Nights improvised? The style reminds me a lot of an episode of Best of the Worst (which is a good thing).

It is and it isn't. I have notes written to follow the outline of the movie, but it's improvised off of that to give a more off the cuff feel. So far the response has been mostly positive, but it does throw some people off.

OrangeKing posted:

It's not...that one we were talking about at MAGFest, is it? :ohdear:

I'm not sure which one we talked about at Mag, ha ha. The movie's Big and Hairy. ;)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

PassTheRemote posted:

I like the more off the cuff feel, though I feel that more people in the video adds to the conversation as it allows for people to play off each other. It's the reason that I love Best of the Worst and Brad's midnight screenings. I don't know if you have plans for having guests in these videos like Phelous and Brad, but even if you don't want to do that, this new video is a plus. I'm eager to see where you go with the new format.

Thanks so much. :) I shot Big and Hairy with Phelan, I definitely like shooting these with other folks. I think generally it'll be just me since I don't have people who can regularly shoot with me, but I definitely want to do more with other people.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

By the way Allison, have you heard of the Librarian trilogy? I just saw my copies of it and they strike me as something you'd like. They're a trilogy of campy made-for-TV movies that were more than a little inspired by Indiana Jones with a tiny bit of Warehouse 13 sprinkled in. They also partially star a magical Bob Newhart.

I've watched some of the TV show; it's alright.

OrangeKing posted:

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the DeCoteau one (1313: Bigfoot Island). If only because I don't think anyone could talk about it for more than five minutes or so. :) It was, to say the least, not one of the three-or-so good Bigfoot movies in history.

Ha ha, yeah not that one. We'd have nothing to say!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

OldMemes posted:

After watching the first movie nights, I've found mysellf humming "you got arrested!, you got arrested! because you're an alcoholic! " a few times.

I liked the first episode. Maybe it needs to be a little more scripted to tighten up the pacing a little, but I thought it was a fun relaunch of Lupa's show.

Thanks! The second ep is up on Patreon and I think it's edited a bit tighter. Since I did the review with Phelan there's a bit more energy too, so hopefully the vids smooth out as they go.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Well I'm glad you enjoyed the Baywatch Nights Manic Episode. :) Thanks!

Movie Nights: Big and Hairy is now up! Phelan joins me to watch a bigfoot play basketball.

http://phelous.com/2015/02/10/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-big-and-hairy/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Loved Brad's review. The Ebert clips were great, ha ha.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I'll definitely try to be clearer with the summary beforehand; thanks for the advice. :)

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

So I know this is a few pages old, but whatever, Allison, I'm loving Movie Nights and I really loved seeing you do the 90s Love Bug. I actually rented that back in the day and had almost completely forgotten about it and its made for TV goodness. Somehow I remembered that Mickey Dolenz was in it and not Bruce Campbell! I should really turn in my nerd card for that one.

I'm so glad you put up the footage about the "driving a devil car." I remember losing it back then too. I swear, having lived in that part of California for a few years since then, I think I recognized some of the roads they did the bug race on.

...actually, the whole drat Love Bug series is pretty messed up. The car keeps kidnapping people and forcing them to go on dates and stuff in the first movie too. Herbie is a hardcore shipper! Never saw the Lindsay Lohan one... probably for the best.

I feel like you seem to play better when you have another person around, the discussion was a bit strange in the first one. I assume the format is meant to mimic the idea of watching a movie with friends and chatting with them about it - I guess I'd say, act more like the audience is in the room with you too. Sometimes it seemed like you were aware of being by yourself. Well, regardless, I think you're off to a strong start.

Thanks a lot! I'm enjoying doing these more than I've enjoyed making OLP in years. I appreciate the feedback about it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I loved the Olsen twins growing up, but man were most of these stinkers. They are funny to revisit though, ha ha. I'm pretty sure I had a friend who was part of the fan club.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

edit: ugh I can't watch that tax video until I get home.

Sup Plinkett

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irP1oOHc1wQ

The hell did I just watch!?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Tracula posted:

I dunno if it's cliche to say but Doug seems to simply not -get- things a lot of times. I know the Nostalgia Critic is played up for laughs but he does put a lot of himself into it. I don't know how he doesn't understand the main character being a pig in Porco Rosso or people wanting the dog to live in ID4. I'm sure those are the most obvious examples but there just seems to be a disconnect between Doug and what a lot of things everyone else understands or can just give a pass.

The one that blew my mind was the Scooby Doo review, when he asked if all of the main characters were mad at each other because maybe they were angry in the original cartoon. And he'd just gone over the previous scene where they had a falling out. Like...that's called a story, Doug.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

New Baywatching went up on Patreon. I'm going to be very sad when Billy Warlock finally leaves the show and I lose my regular dose of Eddie abuse.

By the way, Allison, thanks for bringing up the weird plot hole about Eddie's living situation!

I'll miss him too. :( Pretty sure he and Shauni move in together in a house boat or something soon.

The Mary-Kate and Ashley Triple Feature Movie Nights is public now!
http://phelous.com/2015/02/23/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-mary-kate-and-ashley-triple-feature/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Infamous Sphere posted:

The actor's name was Billy Warlock? BILLY WARLOCK?

Yep, son of Dick Warlock, aka Michael Myers. You can see Billy Warlock in Halloween II!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

I don't care if this is the uncool thing to say, but I find JonTron to be absolutely hilarious in his solo videos. The man has a killer sense of comedic timing, probably just about the best of any internet critic.

I agree, his solo vids are great. The Barbie vid was really funny.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

And they all leave fish in frying pans as calling cards to the other fish!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Lloyd Kaufman? No. Here's the guy''s imdb page:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0722413/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

Wasn't it the name of the bad guy in I Know What You Did Last Summer?

Ha ha, you know you may be right!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

Baywatch was truly ahead of it's time!

Speaking of "ahead of our time", are you just going to plow straight through Baywatch and then cover the spinoff, or try and cover it in the middle of doing Baywatch?

I'll go over it alongside regular Baywatch when I get to the seasons it aired with. It's not much, but there is some crossover between the two. Not that continuity has ever been great even on Baywatch by itself.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Pretty sure he's gone after season 2, he doesn't really do much of significance. I think maybe there's an episode about how he's old, which is his only contribution.

There's one season, I forget which, where the airing order is way out of sync and one couple is randomly together or not together at any point in time. If I could look up the production order I'd be curious to know how it was supposed to air, but outside of who's dating there's no real "arcs" to indicate the real order.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Are they seriously talking about a new show? Don't they already have like two shows outside of the game show that they haven't even produced yet?

Also new Baywatching:
http://phelous.com/2015/03/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-money-honey/
Mitch becomes an action star!

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Regarding the Mara Wilson thing, I believe Doug posted about one of her articles on FB and the fans attacked her from there. I don't think Doug did anything malicious, only his usual shtick in the reviews themselves. To be fair to him, fans tend to go overboard and attack real people if they see something a critic says in a review, which is why I've run into problems in the past. Even if you say not to attack anyone, it still happens. Just because you give a movie a negative review or even hate an actor in it doesn't mean you want people sending them e-mails telling them they suck.

As for the "it's all a character" bit, I feel dumb for having said that once. I can at least say it wasn't to cover for saying something offensive and back peddling, it was mostly because my acting tends to be exaggerated from my usual personality. But it's true, Brad is about the only one who is actually doing a character. Doug's "it's a character" defense is exactly that, to deflect negative reactions to dumb things. That being said, he can't act or write without it being derivative of something else.

Funny story actually. In that Shut Up and Talk I filmed in Chicago that will never be put online, Doug asked me where I got my "goofy voice" from in reviews. This was also a question he asked me before we even did the interview. He assumed I was imitating someone from South Park, a show I've seen maybe two episodes of. As I answered him before, I didn't "take" the voice from anything; I just naturally act "doofy." He asked me what the word "doofy" meant since he'd apparently never heard it before, and then proceeded to ask me again where I got the voice, but worded in a different way. He couldn't understand that I actually wasn't copying someone.

Also in that Demo Reel Transformers DVD Exclusive That Isn't DVD Exclusive Anymore, he totally just quoted Blazing Saddles verbatim.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Diamanda Hagan has become far more frightening. ;)

I enjoy her videos but I think she'd be even funnier if she dropped the whole "villain" schtick. Her commentary is great and can stand on its own. From her non-Hagan stuff I get the impression she's a pretty decent person too.

For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying Movie Nights and have to agree with the opinions posted here that it's definitely at its best when you have a guest. The format just works a lot better with you having someone to play off of.

Yes, she's a good example of a character, although her opinions in the reviews are hers. She's super intelligent and fun to talk to if you ever get the chance. And thanks about Movie Nights! I wish I could have a co-host all the time, but unfortunately it just has to be when people are available. All the Phelan ones were shot while he was visiting.

The comment about Doug not being able to internet is also true. At least when Holly was there, his video commentaries were recorded by sitting close to his camera and recording it on there, because he did not know how to record at his computer. I can also confirm that he doesn't know how to use MP3 Skype Recorder and refuses to learn because he tried it once and it didn't work. True story, he asked me to sit in on the Moulin Rouge commentary and record them. Not to be in the commentary, just to be there and press record. Phelan called him up and went over how to use MP3 Skype recorder, step by step (download it, get in a skype call, and press record--that's literally it). And then he just had Nash do it. As far as I know, he still doesn't know how it works.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

poparena posted:

When it comes to pre-AVGN "classic" review stuff, my gold standard has always been Matt's writing on the ol' X-Entertainment. His stuff was (and still is, I guess) this pleasant mix of corny "kids joke book" humor, childlike enthusiasm and a supernatural ability to find obscure 80s toys, merchandise, video and even food (he was doing Brad Tries long for Brad, just in written form and usually with pictures of He-Man action figures). I still occasionally read his breakdowns of old Macy's Day Parades. His site was also THE place to find video of old 80s commercials pre-Youtube.

Matt's got a new site called Dinosaur Dracula. It's not quite as fun, there's less of a sense of "look at this treasure I found!" and more "here's a video on Youtube," but it's still enjoyable. He also does the rare video review, mostly around Halloween. The guy's pretty much perfected the awkward pause.

Matt's an awesome guy as well, so throw my recommendation there too. In a similar vein, I've always enjoyed I-Mockery's movie reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

New Baywatching is up: The Fabulous Buchannon Boys! Mitch's sleepy brother shows up with his kid. Meanwhile, shoddy bikinis.
http://phelous.com/2015/03/10/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-fabulous-buchannon-boys/

• Locked thread