Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The way you guys seem to avoid speaking of Gunnerkrigg Court, suspicious.

On another note thanks for recommending Happy Viking. I'm finding him both really entertaining and a good source for new music. How can I not love someone who also loves Fist of the North Staf and hates MLP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Angry Joe has another run in with Copyright. This time it's Nintendo. Funny since I thought that after the incident and the stupid discussions (shout matches), they were okay with Let's Plays and reviews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koX-Ny6zHdM&

Still don't have any idea how people are quick to defend corporations when often the corporations in question often don't seem to care about the customers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Leal posted:

I'm sure Joe should of known that Nintendo has long ago announced that they were going to claim all ad revenue for any videos with their content.

Though I do agree its kinda silly that they can get ALL the revenue.

Yeah that makes no sense. If Joe does make a video with Nintendo and Bioware content, what happens? Does Nintendo bully Bioware out or do they have some sort of agreement? If a share why not give Joe a cut? It's not exactly clear on YouTube's policy. Then again YouTube doesn't like being told that their policies have unclear/unfair guidelines.

Speaking which I've now realized that it's been two years since YouTube pretty much gave corporations the "gently caress you" button, and despite numerous complaints from well, everyone, they still kept it and now it's kind of a begrudging acceptance.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Joe's list was not surprising. Destiny on the top was expected but very deserving. Personally I'd rather play Warframe than Destiny simply for the fact that the devs admitted their rng was broken and they worked hard to fix it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The funniest part was that YouTube as far as I know still doesn't get the concept of Double Jeopardy and standing.

Like if a content creator disputed a claim the holder can still repeatedly rail against the video over a dispute that's already been resolved. And it doesn't seem to give more leeway based on how often the user disputed a claim. Even though many content creators deal with this on a regular basis and win every time, they still are treated no better than a movie uploader.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

That poo poo's for fair trial. YouTube's policy is for making nice with the people that give them money.

Isn't that the truth. YouTube's policy also includes ignoring everyone's complaints for well, everything they've done so far.

And the irony is that every article on YouTube's copyright I can find on Google News keeps saying legal, like saying it somehow excuses the loopholes they abuse like a tired horse.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, his review of DnD 5th was so volatile that it became sort of awkward when everyone who liked it had their reasons and he sort of kept quiet. So for a few weeks the latest you could watch was a guy spitting verbal acid in your face.

On another note a lot of the top Youtubers' content isn't appropriate for the age bracket, and I guess that's why their audience watch it so much. It's something new, dangerous, something you're not allowed to do/watch. And then you get out of the age bracket and realize exactly how bad it all was.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah the Thieve's World videos contained so much enthusiasm from everyone Spoony described. No petty vitriol, backstabbing is usually playful and they managed to finish a campain.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hatred is made by NeoNazis. I don't give a flying gently caress about the violence, simply because the developers are goddamn NeoNazis.

DDoS and swatting are terrible horrible things, and I'm glad that the legal system is as pissed off about it as I am.

But the one thing I was waiting for was GamerGate. Angryjoe is neutral. He addresses the grievances and didn't muck up facts. The most important thing was he pointed out was he didn't approve of the harassment to women, GamerGate doing quite little in anything, and that a hashtag movement cannot achieve anything substantial and nuanced because of mob mentality.

I am happy to hear that GamerGate is shrinking and dying, and happy to know that GamerGate is going to be known as the contreversy that only managed to divide gaming, harass women and failed to even achieve "ethical journalism".

But seriously Joe, you cannot loving tell me that anti-GG is somehow as bad as these wastes of flesh.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 31, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cyron posted:

I say their about the same on twitter in tumbler on a smaller scale, bunch of morons trying to be badasses and failing, the attacles about how "gamers are dead" are to me what sparked gamergate, oh and a few attacles comparing gamers to ISIS didn't help things. it like comparing being pissed on to poo poo on. the piss is easier to clean up but it still piss.

Seriously don't even. Like somehow dismissing those guys somehow removes blame from the entire movement, a movement that as many including Folding Ideas has pointed out condones many, many horrible things listed in his video and this very thread.

You can't make a movement with a hashtag. You make a movement by organizing formally, and condemning those who bring shame to your movement.

Oh and to those that say "but there's tons of movements that changed from places of hate :derp:" give me one. And guess what? Those movements involved being on the streets, helping people personally, risking their livelihoods. And organizing formally.

I'm sorry if I'm grouchy, I just hate this group and wish it nothing else but a swift death and slap in the face of neutrals who act like anti-GG is somehow as bad as GG.

Come to think of it lately I've grown a steady dislike of neutral people.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh my sides and face. They hurt from laughter. Eat it jerks. Oh and the best part is that these goofuses are claiming that Harvard is totally wrong. Sure keep telling yourselves that one of the most prestigious colleges in the U.S. is somehow dumber than yous.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 11, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Okay, from what I've seen of TotalBiscuit he seems to be quite insane. Can someone explain in detail exactly how messed up this guy is? All I have is the link when he registered to SA, the time where he told a fan to get cancer and die and somehow thinking that death threats are okay as long as no one acts on it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Is this before TB got cancer, or is it okay for him because of it?

I believe he said that on Reddit before he was diagnosed with cancer. Regardless that is still a lovely thing to say.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

Spoony needs to just loving nut up and edit his vlogs, if only for how often he has a tendency to repeat himself for minutes on end after he's made his point. He also does in the Counter Monkey when he's ranting instead of telling a specific story.

Agreed. Honestly you think with his years as a dm he would know that most of the time people would rather listen to the interesting tales than his personal gripes with players. All the stories you have and instead you tell audiences, who for the most part aren't able to play these games for one reason or another why they aren't playing their types correctly.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just glad that despite going through a personal hell, she's still able to retain herself and not turn into a bitter husk of a person.

Also Briannu Wu has got a Congresswoman on her side and that politician wishes to help her out regarding law enforcement's callousness to her plight.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/10/massachusetts-congresswoman-urges-fbi-to-take-gamergate-seriously/

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Rebochan posted:

The Banjo-Kazooie soundtrack is the icing on the cake...

Also you got Thunderf00t :spergin: in the comments, so bravo.

Oh why this guy. I used to like watching his "why people laugh at creationists" before he went the way of the Amazing Atheist.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I admit I liked those too when I was younger.

Strangely enough the series made me more accepting of different religions. Originally I didn't really care much for religion that much but seeing the videos showed me that yes, there are very, very dumb people of different beliefs. And that beliefs in of themselves don't make a lesser person.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

My main beef with Internet Atheists like Amazing Atheist and Thunderpants is that, while God technically isn't real and yes there is no evidence to support them yadda yadda smug smug smug, 'God' is not a literal being and more a phrase to describe a larger concept. It's never meant to be a literal creature hiding out in space somewhere or in magic-land. It's an idea. Islam has hundreds of names for God because the whole point is they don't exist in a singular, measurable way, and are a product of everyone's viewpoint.

It's no surprise that the same people have problems with feminism. "Oh yeah? Well, show me 'the patriarchy'. You can't, can you? That's not a patriarchy, that's just a bunch of men doing bad stuff to women!" For a group that loves describing itself as free-thinking, new/alternative ideas are like this alien concept.

But people literally believe that god is real. Not a 'minority' thing but a LOT of people do. As in milllions believe that God (Yahweh in this instance) exists as a deity with a heaven and a hell.

Also for the fact that there are atheists who pretty much are like the apologists in terms of social political views, assholes everywhere. And atheistic thinking isn't anti-concept or describes towards a particular set of ideas regarding women and race. It basically means "I don't believe in god or any religion", not "I hold certain views towards minorities, women and etc."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Ah, my Big Other finally weighed in.

Thanks for the grain of recognition, but you're right. It's not worth it.

I hereby abdicate from posting in this thread except to make small talk and dumb jokes about Ishtar. :toxx:

Of course if I actually watch Ishtar and it turns out it's a Lacanian-Marxist masterpiece that means I'm hosed.

Taking all bets on how long you'll last. I'll give a five months tops, just to be nice.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hey sweet, no more hbomberguy and Jay O slapfights means this thread might actually become readable again.

Wait, people are arguing about religion in the Internet Critic thread. Never mind.

But the slapfights where one of the most enjoyable things to read in this thread since there really isn't much activity in the thread.

And it's not really arguing, more 'people worship and interpret things in different ways.'.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Gianthogweed posted:

Mr. Repzion got swatted over the Anita Sarkeesian bomb threat.. https://youtu.be/AlmuKqKAIb4

At least he's showing humanity that he doesn't think that's a good thing? I've never watched his videos nor do I have much reason to, it's not like he's going to say anything that can change my mind about her. On another note so gamergate, you threatened a chick into Time magazine one of the most prolific magazines of our time. :golfclap: Seriously this is like watching a cartoon villain inadvertently making the hero look even better.

Edit: Remember that Folding Ideas video that pointed out that GGers would rather point fingers and make conspiracy theories when something bad inevitably leads to them? Yeah still applies according to this dude's video comments.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 22, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Kunster posted:

Given that he entertained more the idea that someone could have sent the threat on the "anti gg" side more, dude's just clearing his dick from this. Heck, he could have said less and he would have looked better, jeez.

...It gets tiring when the opposing side is generally shitheads and people denying the rear end hattery. And people who say "GG who threatened people over the interwebs with doxes and swating and anti-gg, maybe the truth is in the middle :commissar:.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Shinji reminds me of Colden from Catcher in the Rye, in the fact that I find it easy to laugh at them. I'm sorry but I just can't really take either of them seriously when their mishaps are like Loony Toons gags to me.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I volunteer to die horribly in the name of humanity. Better to die psychotic than to go gently into that good night.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly this is going to be a blast for me to see. I anticipate enough tears to fill the dead sea. And convoluted reasons why those characters don't count as good ones in the eyes of (conservative) gamers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Oh why must this exist? I feel like this is a ticking lawsuit waiting to happen.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

It will be worse than seeing what Jon Benjamin looks like. I'll never repeat that mistake.

BillyMC is this pure, concentrated naivete that I want to protect and preserve forever. The world can't be all bad as long as his childlike sense of wonder remains intact.

Same, I've been watching his videos since Slowbeef first riffed him and I honestly think he's a genuinely pleasant guy.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Because illiterate nerds don't seem to get the fact that a spear trumps a sword in pretty much all situations by virtue of poking someone to death.

But muh animus says sword a best.

On another note those reaction videos. Can't they at least once bother to actually address the points without twisting her words like they always do?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sword fights are more visually interesting. That's really the reason

I know they're more appealing in terms of fighting style and the ways you can manipulate the fight to make it more enjoyably to watch. What rubs me the wrong way is that the conversations aren't about which is more appealing, gun fights or sword fights and why. It's people trying to poorly justify that a sword user can defeat a gun user before he can pull the trigger.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The cynical side of me believes firmly that she'll probably have to watch over her shoulder for decades to come. But the hopeful part really wants to think she won't have to.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Okay, I'm confused now. Is the thread coming down in favor of the zero suit or against it? Because I'm still not sure if the guy responding to me being annoyed that more people focused on Samus's tits than her personality was arguing against me or supporting me. Personally I've really got nothing against the Zero suit and just think its kinda dumb, my issue was more with how the reception of samus by the gaming media has everything to do with "dude she's hot" and not "she's a stone cold bounty hunter".

Generally against because it doesn't have much merit other than "form fitting latex".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Do not even ask posted:

because video games are trash entertainment for trash people

cup and ball is where it's at

Not even mentioning chopsticks. What is this, amateur hour?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Speaking of Angry Joe, here's his review of Pillars of Eternity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob91E5DXIdY

I admit CRPG's aren't my thing but this game seems to be quite an immersive ball of joy. And apparently the next review is going to be his 100th. Congratulations Joe.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

If you're not interested in CRPGs, don't get Pillars. It is super super CRPG-y, by design. I love the game, but it is an archetypal CRPG.

Oh, at least I'll be able to recommend it to a few friends who are interested in that genre and want something new. As for me I'll just read the inevitable screenshot lp that'll allow me to read the game like a book.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

This isn't related to the Escapist, or anything/anyone in particular, but just in general. Is it weird to dislike someone/something for any number of reasons, but still respecting their thoughts and opinions about any subject, be it anime or movies or novels or what have you?

Nope, that's just being mature in your line of thinking. You can hate someone for being a shitlord but still acknowledge their skills and opinions.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Sad Mammal posted:

As someone who hasn't watched a Nostalgia Critic episode in close to three years, has there been some kind of revelation that Doug is an absolute scumbag?

Aside from what's already been put in this thread and the last one, he's pretty much just a guy who'd rather ignore the bad things on his site. His brother Rob and other partner Mike are the real aggressive assholes.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd look forward to things like that but the problem of people generally being more interested in using comedy reviews to validate their opinions over background details tends to discourage a few. There's more than likely an audience for behind the scenes stuff for what they like. Sure it's going to be much harder to make than simply riffing a movie, with some details being obscured but I'm pretty sure if someone makes the background details their thing they'll be recognized.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So wait, what do you guys mean by South Park's "the truth is always in the middle"? I haven't watched the series and my friends seem to praise it so I'm kind of unaware of it's failts.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got Wannabe by the Spice Girls. I'm not sure what to feel. Like I sympathize with the message about relationships being give and take, but I prefer music like Teddyloid, Disturbia and Zeds Dead Eyes on Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well if this trend continues this might put a fire under him and start working in reviews. Or settle with his increasingly obscure presence on the internet.

• Locked thread