Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rujasu posted:

I haven't watched Doug in years, and I don't have any desire to, but back when I watch and enjoyed some of his stuff, he was at his best when he was just making fun of some dumb goofy poo poo like Kazaam or Captain Planet and seemed in over his head when he tried to do any sort of actual criticism. Also, his videos were better when they were like 10 minutes instead of 30+, which I'm guessing was a product of YouTube's limitations on video length at the time. Like, he was never outstanding at anything, but he was reasonably okay as a silly comedy act for a while when I didn't have to see that much of him and didn't have to think about what kind of a douche he is off-camera.

Also, back in those early days, the CA critics as a whole were generally pretty good about not covering ground the others had already done, unless they were putting a different spin on it. But it was pretty clear around the time I tuned out, he was out of ideas by then, so I'm not surprised he just started ripping other people's ideas.

That's kind of the thing, Doug shined as bright as he did for as long as he did because he was a comedian above all else; he wasn't smart, but he was at least funny. Over time though, his schtick stopped being funny because he stopped giving a poo poo and everyone moved on without him, because people like Lindsay, Dan, Lupa, Kyle, et al. were able to be funny AND smart at the same time. Like, Brad's Cinema Snob stuff isn't particularly insightful, all told, and hasn't really evolved much from its default mode in close to 10 years beyond tightening the process of everything up, but I'll still watch the odd episode of it because Brad Jones is funny as poo poo.

I can't say the same for Doug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

That Sailor Moon review was so bad actual articles were written about it due to Doug coming off as a massive sexist. Lewis and JO both publicly called Doug on it (Lewis apparently tried to give Doug a primer on Sailor Moon during a flight or something IIRC).

I think I made it like 5 minutes into the Sailor Moon video before cringing so hard I x'd out of it. And that's saying nothing about just how willfully ignorant Doug was about the whole drat thing and clearly did not want to actually do any research on it beyond what he remembered from his childhood. Like, yeah, I watched the show when I was in elementary school too and then maybe saw one episode since then when we did a media day in my high school Japanese language class, but god even I was able to recall more things about the show correctly just going off childhood memory than Doug clearly could.

Like, Chuck Sonneburg has watched watched a lot of anime clearly out of his usual depth for reviewing purposes on SFDebris and usually resorts to just making fun of it for being tiddy garbage when there's nothing of value to say about it, but at least the man does his loving homework...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

YggiDee posted:

All I remember from the Sailor Moon manga is that Naoko Takeuchi really wanted to kill off all her characters and the editors always had to talk her out of it. In the end notes you'll find things like, "Sailor Mercury was going to be a cyborg, and this is the part where she was going to be pulled to pieces but my editor cried" or, "I was going to have all the Sailor Scouts die here and end the series but these weenies wanted a happy ending!".

I don't mean this as, like, a value judgement on how the series was treated or anything, I just remembered that the manga author was fuckin bloodthirsty.

Jesus, Sailor Moon got loving metal when I wasn't looking :black101:

Like, maybe I'm wrong and misremembering it terribly but wasn't that kind of what the deal with the Outer Sailors was supposed to be at one point? Mercury, Mars, Venus and Jupiter were gonna get killed or otherwise sidelined and then Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were gonna be Sailor Moon's backup team? Only they wussed out on it because the Inner Sailors were so popular that people would riot if it only kinda looked like they were gonna kill one of them off?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 6, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I tapped out of his Star Trek reviews for the same reason. That and the weird racial jokes(?) about Angry Joe.

I think it was around that time that I found SFDebris and started going through his reviews of the Trek films in order parallel to Doug's and went "holy poo poo, this guy's so much better at this."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spark That Bled posted:

The Critic talk about Sailor Moon made me think of his review of A Kid In King Arthur's Court. Where he seemed to think that two of the characters were lesbian lovers. When they were actually sisters.

Rapidly Going Deaf › Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0: 0 Is Actually Doug's IQ Score

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann/status/982317053246885888

https://twitter.com/Chris_Stuckmann...378577013432320

Either he got no response from the Walkers or the response was as pleasing as hotdog water.

Beginning of March 2018:

Beginning of April 2018:

It's like the Rachel Maddow wall, only in reverse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Testekill posted:

Jim is 100% playing a smug egomaniac character. It's basically because he's a wrestling fan and playing yourself up 100% is the best way to get a character over.

I’ve said for a long while now that if you want to see someone who is the real life version of the character Jm Sterling plays on the internet, look at Kim Dotcom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

business hammocks posted:

This was charming and thoughtful enough to be worth reminding me of Ready Player One and of having had read Ready Player One. I look forward to never having to think about Ready Player One ever again. "Watching a speedrun of a book" is definitely the perfect description of reading it.

That giant porg must be such a burden, like a monkey's paw kind of acquisition.

Slow your roll, chief, because the Armada movie has been fast-tracked for production thanks to RP1 doing decently at the box office. And about 90% of the things that can be said about Armada tend to involve or invite comparisons back to Ready Player One. Because Ernest Cline is literally a one trick pony and just wrote the same book again a second time, only shittier and with a slightly tweaked premise to RP1's.

That said the story of the giant porg is an epic tale in and of itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Puppy Time posted:

:thejoke:

Because Doug mixed them up. Somehow.

I mean, I can see how he'd do that. Welsh and Quebecois are virtually indistinguishable on an accent level. Plus, Panda and Welshy just look so similar to one another too. It's like they're twins.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Count Jackula went off the deep end REALLY loving quickly and got turfed from Channel Awesome for being a legit crazy person. Literally the last video he uploaded on the site before he got bounced had a giant swastika on the thumbnail with no context. And the one that preceded that one was "Yeah, Carrie Fisher's dead, but HOLY gently caress I jacked off a lot to Slave Leia from Return of the Jedi as a kid."

So yeah, I don't care what Count Jackula has to say about literally anything.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And there goes the momentary blip of quasi-respect I had for him actually leaving that hellhole. Sincere congrats on not being able to just Take the W there, Tony :thumbsup:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bee posted:

Do we have an update on producerlist.png? I imagine it's going to look hilarious now.

March:

April:

Again, I feel like I'm Rachel Maddow updating this thing...

* Nash is still up on the CA site as of this moment, so I've edited him out manually of the image.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Someone needs to contact the Team Four Star dudes and ask them what the hell Masako's still doing hanging on to CA for. It's not like they really need that poo poo warehouse given how popular they were before they hooked up with Doug...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

You forgot to remove Shaun K, Brandon Tenold, and Ask Lovecraft.

Right. Okay, here's what the site by right should look like now:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

So what are the odds Doug is clueless about this?

Like, is he just super oblivious, or do Mike and Rob work to keep him insulated from most of what goes on behind the scenes?

Doug is, from all accounts, both clueless and incredibly incurious, so I don't think Rob and Mike need to work that hard to keep him locked out out the loop. That said, if he's managed to stay ignorant of anything that's happened over the past two weeks by anything but sheer conscious will, I would be be floored.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is there a word for when you're actively trying to be oblivious, cutting yourself from all paths of information so that you can maintain even a flimsy veneer of deniability? Obliviating? Denialous? Shirktration?

Donald Trump.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

His Speed Racer crossover review had him hate the movie and the "defense" being super weak and meaningless. It's cringe-inducing.

That also explains why the Man of Steel crossover with Joe has Joe's defense of the film be "I like this movie because Superman is in it, and Superman is good and cool, so that means Man of Steel is also good and cool." Because I'd wager the only three things Doug actually knows about Joe are 1) he plays video games, 2) he really likes Superman, and 3) his name is Joe. ...Also he might be angry a lot. Better get Rob to check on that one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

His star trek crossover with linkara was so bad because Insurrection's development is legitimately fascinating as is its position in the series but Doug just tells Lewis to gently caress off with the nerd poo poo so he can yell some more.

Reminder that Doug's favourite next generation movie is Nemesis.

Nemesis.

And having read Fade In by Michael Piller the year prior, that was the point where I shut the video off and tabbed over to SFDebris instead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Miss Wallace posted:

I removed the video and would prefer no one reupload it, as I've been taking down copies.

I mourn the loss of your doofy "A TAWKING CAWT?!!!!!?!" line from that video... and basically nothing else. Well, maybe that and the bit where you explain how borderline scam artist-y David DeCoteau is with his production grindhouse, rotating pseudonyms and his oddball Netflix distribution deal. I learned that from the video too.

Because I bet Doug didn't know anything or give a poo poo about DeCoteau beyond the surface level stuff going into the review...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

Jackula is a full gamergater chud and possibly mentally unhinged.

Like his chudness managed to get him booted from CA. That should be all you need to know.

That last part can’t be stressed enough: Count Jackula was too much of a crazy rear end in a top hat for Mike Michaud, the King of Crazy Assholes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Internet Criticism left Doug Walker behind in the dust years ago on its road to becoming something better, so too should the thread for discussing it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi ruined my manchildhood.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Paladin posted:

I wish I possessed the foresight to, years ago, edit the Ishtar trailer to only contain dumb things Doug said at one point and strategically deploy it to the thousandth page of this thread, instead of only thinking of it now.

Save it for page 3234423.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

:patriot:

• Locked thread