Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I've been mentioned already in the thread but I may as well introduce myself to any newcomers. Hi, I'm Infamous Sphere, and I have a show where I review queer movies (and queer TV and one comic and one book) and period dramas. That's everything from famous big-name "everyone's heard of this" stuff, weird arthouse stuff, hideously bad stuff and really old stuff - although I've covered a lot more LGBT media than I have period pieces. There's also a lot of LGBT period pieces, because...well...of course.

If you haven't gone to Chez Apocalypse, I'd recommend both Sursum Ursa (who talks about many different topics and tends to be quite positive, although there's often a focus on "female-centered' entertainment) and Rantasmo, who is another queer-media-focussed critic, although his videos have a very different style to mine. Also if you like exploitation films, the Cine-Masochist is very enthusiastic and well-informed about his choice of review material.

I Just got around to watch your videos, and I've kind of been binge watching them today. My roommate and I have a very young gay friend who's had trouble knowing where to begin with looking into queer culture and theory, (most of his friends are 17-18 year old hipsters who see his sexuality more as a niche) so we plan to have a once a month queer cinema day at our apartment. I've had problems finding stuff that wasn't just utterly depressing or exploitative so it's nice to have someone weed it out a bit. I already added a lot of the stuff you covered to the list of movies we'll watch. So thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Oh god. There was this facebook thing going around amongst my friends where you could check which song was the number one hit the day of your birth and Todd's #1 was my loving song. Everyone else I know born that year got some pretty lovely songs too but everyone agreed that mine was the worst :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

:unsmith: :hf: :unsmith:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Want to know which song you were concieved to?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

We're all born on August 18th? How long does a song stay number 1 exactly? (I'm assuming a couple of weeks.)

Well, if you're born in 1991 there's a good chance you would have been born in the 2-3 months that single was number 1. What a sad, sad world.

I was born August 2 so it wouldn't have have been long... Hopefully

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Tracula posted:

What we really need at this point is a documentary called The Sarkeesian Effect Effect :colbert:

Now I feel kind of bad that Hbomberguy left the thread. :smith:
If you're out there lurking and ever in need of !!!$15,000 DOLLARS$!!! you know what to do.

Chromatic posted:

Aurini comes across as an evil end boss from a late 80's NES game.

This is super accurate.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMxNuqT8K_s

For a show called shut up and talk, Doug sure has a problem shutting up for 2 seconds to let his guest talk.

James seems like the kind of guy who would politely nod and smile while the weird regular who just pissed his pants spouts gibberish at him.

I really couldn't listen to F-plus for very long. Not my cup of tea. But they seem to be having a really nice time so there's that :kiddo:
Has anyone btw mentioned WeHateMovies and IDontEvenOwnATelevision? Pretty chill.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Baal posted:

I've been listening to WeHateMovies and their MK movie reviews are some of the best podcasts I've listened to

Definitely! Their chemistry is really good. My favorite one is "Secret Child". I love the absolute insanity of lifetime movies.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just to help people out in finding it, it's actually "Invisible Child". It's good though.

They do best with the genres of "The movie thinks this is sweet and quirky, but it's actually creepy as gently caress" "ridiculous action movie" and "has Jim Belushi or Wilford Brimley in it"

Wow, thanks correcting me there. Weird, they say the word invisible like 238327 times.

The Jim Belushi, Wilford Brimley and Gary Busey impressions kill me. Also, anything with an old southern gentleman character in it.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Also, it makes me all warm inside to know that you can drop WHM in to the thread and make everyone less angry again :unsmith:

Edit: I hope they're goons and see this

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 23, 2015

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Testekill posted:

Invaded by the anime subforum, a shameful fate.

The anime wars are over. Long live podcasts.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Our posters are running from the thread, A SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

:mrwhite:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

Todd has a new Cinemadonna: The Next Best thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padqYfpwlIs

I remeber watching this movie as a kid and beiing very upset at how Rupert's character was treated.

And it upsets me even more now. God drat it straight, rich, white Hollywood.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kalos posted:

That's how you're supposed to feel. Good job.

They just also expect you to empathize with Madonna's character which doesn't work at all.

That's exactly what made me uncomfortable. That we're somehow supposed to "get" where Madonna's character is coming from and that whoah "Gays are human you guys but not like us and we totally get if you think they're a little icky!". 1990-2000s was really weird time to become super aware of your own skincolor and sexuality man.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Please stop quoting Bibs :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
This thread sure used to be fun and not draining to read at all.

Content. a review of a VHS of Michael Jackson's very weird movie "Moonwalker":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53s50obEgEc

Their own description "Here Lies is a video review series hosted by horror writer Eddie Spuhghetti, featuring reviews and purchasing tips on all things horror, retro, video games and synthwave! We cover everything from boxed toys, monster masks, VHS tapes and more! "

From what I can tell they do skits in their episodes. The acting isn't bad and the two I saw where well done. They put them at the end so if you (like me) don't care for that kind of thing you can just stop watching when they start without losing anything. They haven't updated since halloween though :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Hbomberguy posted:

What, to you, does a film (or game) have to do to qualify as satirizing something?

Hbomberguy, I love Zack Snyder too, but I wouldn't call anything he's done (except for "Dawn of The Dead" and that was writtten by James Gun which has 90% more to do with it) satire. Either way it's not an excuse for bad art in any form.
And I looove your videos. When my boyfriend asked me what was up with all the gamer gate poo poo I instantly showed him your Aurini video and he understood it way better than if I had sat him down for an hour and explained it. I am forever grateful for the education and joy you give to the world. You are a treasure. But please stop defending bad movie making. It's okay to like stuff that might not be good without writing a 20 page essay about how "It's REALLY about X! *And don't you see the X about X that smartly hidden within it!?".

"Watchmen" and "Dawn of the Dead" 2004 are really enjoyable movies though, you guys. And as much as I want to hate him for "Suckerpunch" it's got some great fight scenes (that yes were so out of context that they aren't very impressive in hindsight) and Oscar Issac as an amazingly evil bastard in it.

PS. Can this thread get less angry? :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mad Lupine posted:

There might be something to this but I've noticed the channels that do a lot of Top 10 lists put a disclaimer at the beginning/end of their videos that this is just an opinion and to discuss stuff that the viewer felt should have been on the lists. Just including that little bit makes these videos actually palatable and fun to watch (at least for me) because they aren't taking these lists seriously.

Edit: I do think there should be more parody top 10 lists because they can be a lot of fun. One that comes to mind is Jim Sterling's stuff. This is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhAo6gidj9U

Lupa also did a few hilarious ones too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4nb9BKlM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcRperKIpr8

That hottest animated dogs list still cracks me the gently caress up.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

This one dude on this forum I went too years ago would counter every opinion I stated by saying "oh you'll just change your mind in a few months". I left because it just got too annoying. Like sorry I'm a human being and change and grow.

Being static is boring.

" you'll just change your mind in a few months"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Leal posted:

They made a comic about Eminem?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I hope Todd likes getting poo poo from angry Danes

I'm danish and utterly tired of hearing this guys music... But the pot section made me cringe a little. Danes start really early with the drinking and smoking (most people I know started getting drunk in the weekends at like 12-14) and the dude grew up as a young child actor in Christania https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania. I totally believe that he boozed and smoked it up at that age.

But yeah grating vocals and eyeroll worthy lyrics.

And Todd forgot to mention our most glorious internationally known band, the esteemed AQUA. :colbert:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

You know, I watched the video for Barbie Girl recently, and the bald guy in that group is weirdly hypnotizing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyhrYis509A

I like how it manages to be the most European thing ever while being about an American cultural icon. Is AQUA a one-hit wonder over here in the States? Todd should do a video on them if so.

The mere uttering of Rene Dif's name is a joke among Danes. But I he seems to be a really good sport about it all. And he made these.

Fun fact! The caricature on the "Rene Dip" chips and dip were drawn by a member of The Pussy Cats mother! :eng101:

Infamous Sphere posted:

I'm really not fond of the song, but it's got me thinking about Danish music. How successful are Mew in Denmark? I've been listening to them for a while - but I guess Todd isn't aware of them.

Mew are one of my favorite bands! They are pretty big here but their last album didn't do as great as their other stuff.

But I do think that there is a big difference between which bands make it in the US and the bands that are well known in Europe? I go to a popquiz on mondays and sometimes a US top 100 question will pop up. We're always a bit surprised by what ends up in the top. Todd should totally do a OHW on AQUA. Those guys were huuuuuge.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I was surprised that you played some of Labi Siffre's "I Got The", but didn't mention that it was sampled on "Slim Shady". I know you mentioned Eminem once, but it kind of shows how little popular musicians look into who or what they're sampling.

Thanks for the reviews!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Has anyone other than Spoony done Mazes and Monsters? I love its weird made-by-the-New-York-tourism-board finale.

The Blame Society guys did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDBdHBB3s4Y

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
"Just going to check the critics thread. Ah Hbomb has been posting, how ni..."
*Sees goons slowly pushing thread into septictank*

I really wish that Zack Snyder would start using a pseudonym for some of his movies, so people would stop getting so drat angry about his mediocre superhero movies. The vitriol directed at him gets super weird.

Anyways, I know this might not pertain to this thread as such, but I've started to run out of podcasts to binge. Does anyone have something informative about the behind the scenes stuff on movies? Something in the lines of the "You Must Remember This" and "I Was There Too" podcasts would be greatly accepted. Fun stuff like WHM is also welcome.

Edit:
I'm really sorry to hear this. Hope you get better buddy :(

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

New episode - in which I watch my FIRST ROLAND EMMERICH MOVIE EVER. Unfortunately, it's Stonewall.

I don't know what you're on about. I for one have always wanted to see a movie filmed entirely like a giant Piss Christ.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I Before E posted:

Enemy already existed, though. And that's actually good.

Enemy was also a sickly movie that is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable. Roland did that totally unintentionally.

Speaking of, is there a good video review/analysis of Enemy out there?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

Yeah, I feel it's a bit different if it's supposed to be a mood, rather than "let's make this look oldey timey!" The SBS TV series The Principal also had notable yellow colour grading, but it was significantly more subtle than Stonewall, which is the most aggressive version of a yellow tint I've ever seen.

Filters are usually an extremely lazy way to convey that your movie is set in an earlier and specific time period + it's rarely done well.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

O Brother Where Art Thou is probably the movie that gave everyone the idea for aggressive colour grading to make things look old-timey. I think they did a good job with that one though, possibly because it was something that hadn't become a cliche.

The Principal has a modern setting, it's just a bit dingy looking because it's set in the crap part of town. Looking at it again, it's VERY yellow, but at least it's a good show in all other respects. I think it's on US Netflix, so I'd encourage you to check it out! (also somebody stuck all the episodes on Vimeo.)

The Principal is Relevant To My Show because the whole secret surprise plot twist is THE PRINCIPAL IS GAYYYYY and that's how you know that he didn't murder anyone (it makes sense in context.)

Yeah it was really great for O Brother. Hot, old timey south and fever dreams.

Cool, I'm going to look into that. I see why you would make a bold choice in the color grading of your not so over the top budgettet tv series, to make it stand out.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Edit: hahaha incredible

Holy loving :lol:

Btw thanks but no thanks Sphere for reminding me about Roland's Stonewall. Why the gently caress argue about Zack Snyder whenn you can fume about that loving hot garbage of a movie. God I loving hate it and I can not fathom that it's made by an actual homosexual, it is so utterly tonedeaf and disrespectful.
Speaking of, are you ever going to do a review on The Danish Girl? I had some danish trans girl friends and acquaintances who felt kind of devastated by it, which is why I have no desire to watch it. But I'd totally be up for a review from you!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

OldMemes posted:

My local art cinema has their monthly bad film night, and the film was The Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf. After Lupa and Spoony's reviews I had to go see it.

It's as hilariously bad as they made it out to be.

The only real "Art Cinema" in my town almost exclusively plays amazing schlock. Apropos, Lupa, have you seen "Pterodactyl Woman from Beverly Hills". I saw it as a double feature with a movie I can not remember the tittle of but was actually the film I had some high hopes for. This one ended up stealing the show even though I had no initial interest in it. I think you could do a great review of it, if you haven't already that is.

Holy moly. "President Obama (who may be a queer himself)" loving lol. This guy needs a giant I'm gay SA filter.

If you ever need something not absolutely horrible to review I would love to see your take on "loving Åmål". Maybe a Comparison between it and it's later more depressing but equally "being a queer teenager in a Scandinavian bumfuck town" male equivalent; "Mannen som elsket Yngve".

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

I haven't seen the latter film, but I've definitely seen loving Åmål! I recommended it in my "best first queer movies" roundup list. I might do a full review on it later but I am notoriously slow at getting around to reviewing most of the things on my list.

I totally remember that now! But I would recommend you seeing "Mannen som elsket Yngve" (The man who loved Yngve) before and if you choose to do a full review. I'll offer to aid you with whatever Norwegian or Swedish you meet but I warn you that I'm incurably the worst kind of Scand... The Dane :negative:

Alaois posted:

all of his Porsche reviews are done in a joking Hunter S. Thompson impression too

Edit; I don't care much about where, why or how this guy is, but he's managed to make me actually care and learn something about cars which I thought absolutely impossible.

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 24, 2016

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Alaois posted:

I'm sure the guy who makes Undertale references in his car review show feels like he's "too good" for gaming conventions

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Kunster posted:

I just have some baggage with the material he used to pull years ago, and I just don't wanna see him revert back to his old self, that's all.

Kunster see it this way. I've never, ever understood people who in this very thread weirdly insisted on you being terrible, but I never ever got why. Maybe you should let this guy have the same benefit of doubt with people who weren't part of what ever happened whenever. :shrug:

Btw, would anyone be slightly interested in a retrospective/review/ of Scandinavian cinema? Like Denmark kind of invented Hollywood before Hollywood, and I've been thinking about making something with that as a starting point and then telling why, how and when it went downhill.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

That would be really interesting! Also since it would be from a Danish perspective, as opposed to English/American/Australian/non-Scandi people talking about Scandinavian stuff

That's what I was I was thinking. I haven't really seen that many Scandinavian movie perspectives.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

lornekates posted:

If I may An Internet Critic for a moment:

Saw Ghostbusters at the drive-in. Based on the trailers I thought it would be toilet-humor dumbshit. I'm glad to say I was wrong. I laughed several times, enjoyed the adventure story (though felt the final boss battle was a bit too easy). In an alternate universe, where this was the one and only GB movie released, I'm sure it'd be well loved.

If you're on the fence because of the trailers, it's worth seeing. You probably could wait to rent it from Blockbuster on VHS, if you don't like cinema fees.

Room full of nightmares. lol.

No., no, no, too embracing, I think you meant;
"Wow, I just watched this amazing, hot piece of garbage called "Ghost Busters II" Don't ruin the amazing legacy of the 100% original sequel of GB after this!!!!"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I Before E posted:

Joel Kinnaman rules.

I was about to ask questions about SQ, but then I remembered that this isn't CD.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

You are loving terrible, and I really don't understand why you even bother to post here? You really seem like you have utter disdain for most people in here and everyone seems to not really like what ever you're writing. Seriously, why not just read the thread and refrain from posting? Is this thread your way too specific fetish?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Picks up conch saying "Internet Critic Discussion Thread".
"*woosh*...saying is that Zack Snyder*woosh*...Anime hasn't been*woosh*...and that's why No Man's sky is"woosh"

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh I know allll about Invisible Child, being that I listen to a lot of podcasts, bad movie podcasts included (and yes that includes WHM.) There's also the Lifemark podcast which is a podcast that specifically only talks about Lifetime and Hallmark movies so that's great too!

Holy poo poo, this is specifically the kind of podcast I have been looking for! Thanks!

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Jsor posted:

I just actually saw somebody reference the I Was Frozen Today gag in the wild, on a site not affiliated with CA, in TYOOL Two Thousand Sixteen.

WHM just did a live podcast of Suburban Commando, so that could have something to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

:lol: . I think John Difool might take some offense to this typo.

• Locked thread