Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

FYI: For those of you really into RSS, you can add /feed to any part of the Phelous site to get that feed. ie:

Hallowfeedie! http://phelous.com/category/phelous/halloweenie/feed/

Feed of all posts tagged "crossover": http://phelous.com/tag/crossover/feed/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

dijon du jour posted:

Does anyone else have a hard time watching videos on phelous.com on mobile devices? When I try to watch videos on my iPad the sidebar covers up part of the right part of the video player and makes it so I can't fullscreen the video. :(

I've gotten another report about that. The sidebar *should* hide with iPad's screen resolution. I think it's the double-pixel-density thing on the newer displays throwing that off. I'll adjust the layout this weekend to compensate.

Thanks for the bug report.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

I made the mistake of watching that video. Nickpicks the poo poo out of the movie, and the skits are horrible. Also, the agent who represents the fanbase is called agetn Schmuck. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping the episodes go back to utilizing Tamara and Malcom a bit more. This one, and the past few, have kinda relegated them to cutaway jokes. Which is a pity, because both are excellent comedic actors.

But the skits they're in are completely ancillary to the "plot". If you took their characters out, nothing would really change about the review. Compare it to, say, the Wicker Man review. The episode wouldn't work without Tamara's character (which was also my favorite of the one's she's done so far). Ditto for, say, The Devil & Evilina in The Cat In The Hat. They were central to the premise of the episode, and the interaction with them was key to making the review's point.

The characters lately though-- if you cut out the scenes with their Matrix characters, nothing is loss and the review stands (except for a joke about leather outfits? Ehhh?).

Of course, the one character you couldn't cut out was the fan-voice Agent. And guess who got to play that character? :|

(And of course of course the only plot-important character lately has been Hyper Fan Girl. And I'll just leave my opinions about that one alone)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Jsor posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and boldly declare a law of fiction and fandoms:

If there is a story that involves multiple realities, there will exist a prominent fan theory that the reality presented to us as the "real" or top level one is, in fact, also fake. The existence and/or widespread acceptance of this theory will be independent of the evidence for it in the work itself.

I have a law that governs your law...

Fake fake edit: Also, there is evidence in the movie itself. Neo matrix-KO's some machines with his mindbrain in the "real world", then sees Matrix poo poo pallet-swapped-to-orange. This is, of course, NEVER addressed again in the entire franchise. But it's evidence.

Bad story telling, or AMAZING story telling? I can go either way.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Rebochan posted:

I... will go against the grain and still find endless jokes about Boyhood funny.

Did you know it took twelve years to make?

(That's like eleven years, but more!)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Presented without comment, from the post-credit on the last NC video:

quote:

Hey guys Doug Walker here! After so long in development hell we finally have a release month for The Game Show. It's going to be in March. But you know what that means. That means that we need even more contestants because we've already gone through the ones we had before and we're looking for even more.
Our first shooting date coming up here (after the ones we've already done that is) is February 3rd. That's this Tuesday, so if you are in the Illinois area and you would like to be on our new Game SHow, please go ahead and contact http://channelawesome.com/Contestants.

Let us know, and see if you can actually get on. The ones we've had before have been great fun, the contestants have been great. They've gone up against me as the Nostalgia Critic, and it's just a whole great deal of fun. So go ahead and contact [that URL] if you're in the area and would like to be on the show, and possibly win some great prizes. Hopefully I'll see you there.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mutation posted:

Did you know that Boyhood took twelve years to make?

Is that more or less time than the Channel Awesome Game Show?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

"Can we all stop talking about GamerGate?"

"Sure, but first the point I want to make about GamerGate is [fifteen paragraph mouthfart]"

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Senerio posted:

He explicitly said on twitter it was for Ad Revenue.

Also, to pay for all those grains of salt he offers free with each Twitter post.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Rebochan posted:

Wow, he sold out of those OHW pledges fast.

Hoping he collects first-- before he does the videos, and those 4 people drop their monthly cap to < $40.

=(

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

Also, http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/ is throwing internal server errors. It looks like CA is doing fine, it's just something is borked on the forwarding and has been for a few days.

Forwarding was borked the second they decided to not preserve hyperlinks from tgwtg to CA. Fundamental web development 101 poo poo right there. Don't loving break stuff. For example, http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bj/tcs should have taken me to a list of The Cinema Snob videos. It doesn't (even if the site wasn't 500ing itself).

You don't throw away 6 years worth of accumulated incoming links across social media, forums, bookmarks, etc. You don't gently caress over your own Google results by not giving the bots a nice 301to follow.

Either you make sure your link structure is 100% the same between sites, or you spend an hour or two coding a redirector to make sure people land where they were expecting to land. Given the site took 6+ years to code, an extra hour or two is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

dbzfandiego posted:

The video was removed?

I let my passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat certification lapse, but I'm trying to recertify. Do LMGTFY links still count towards my Journyman hours? I'm not sure if they were retired or not.

In any case, I Googled the name that was written in selectable text words in JKS's post, and came up with this: https://www.youtube.com/user/ollyh82

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea now we'll NEVER get the movie!

In all fairness, the $5k reward level never promised anyone would anyways.

"[at 5k per month] I'll shift my focus to finishing my script for a feature-length movie and putting it into pre-production."

So it was 5k a month to write a script and thinking about how to shoot it.

It does kinda suck for anyone who wants the movie, but on the other hand, I am sustained by the tears of people who still believe that dontating to a crowdfund == the promise of a final product*

* unless the funding project explicitly promises a final product **. ie: Phelous $300/vid "I'll guarantee Halloweenie season 3"

** and THEN the product not being delivered is a valid complaint. Perhaps an AWESOME complaint, through which one could CHANNEL their displeasure...

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Cyron posted:

Oh and Brad Jones review Friday the 13th part 4, where he showed the Ebert review that inspire the snob character.

"Someone should create an Internet character based on that review"

Ha.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Phelan and I did a Valentine's episode of Movie Nights on the Love Bug reboot starring Bruce Campbell:
http://phelous.com/2015/02/14/obscurus-lupa/movienights/movie-nights-the-love-bug-1997/

Fake edit: Sorry for the length; this became more of a brain dump than I thought.

Saw it on Patreon (patreonbrag). Really enjoyed the third episode of Movie Nights. Of course, I am a self-admittedly biased fan of you & Phelan's crossovers. (Phelons? Phallisons? Ælan?)

Funny comments, good insights, everything you're really good at. There was just one thing that, I dunno, felt off and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was giving it some thought, and I think I know what it was (with the obvious caveat that this just may be me).

So the show format seems to pretty much be "Opening music => Intro movie => Talk about movie". I think there isn't enough of a transition from intro to discussion. There's no clear demarkation point.

I think why it stands out is because the intro tends to be a very rough overview of the movie, and some teasers of what you're going to talk about. Example. "This movie has one of the weirdest toaster scenes I've ever seen. But it also has some sweet moments between a monkey and a wrench." It's kinda a promise to the viewer "hang in there, we'll get to these things", setting up an expectation. The viewer (or at least while I view it =) ) is watching those parts going "that's cool! that's cool!" getting pumped up, and just can't wait to get into it.

The discussion is actually talking about it, resolves those promises, pays off the viewer. Showing the monkey making sweet tender love to the wrench and talking about it. (Sidenote: I really want to see this movie now).

What I think is that "I couldn't put my finger on it" was the intro and the discussion would kinda get blurred together; there'd even be some points where you flip back and forth between them. So you'd into a point {interest piqued} then discuss part of the movie {okay, we're in the discussion part now, what about point 1} then intro another point {wait, I thought we were discussing the movie} talk about another. It's a bit of mental whiplash, and it confuses the expectation of "when does the review actually start?!?"

I suppose the nearest analog I can think of is RLM's Best of the Worst. They do an intro (reading the back of the box), set up some expectations (30-ish seconds of them watching the movie), then explicitly transition into a discussion. And even in the discussion, they have an intro (we watched XXX... a movie about YYY... so Jay, what did you think?)

Obviously not saying "copy RLM" or have a giant title card with "NOW WE TALK!!!" =) Just using an example.

tldr: I never got why these go at the end instead of the beginning of a post. If you aren't reading it, you wouldn't read this part, would you? Summary (of opinion) "intro => clear break point => discuss". =)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

I'll definitely try to be clearer with the summary beforehand; thanks for the advice. :)

My favorite part of this post: the fact that it implies more episodes! {celebration smiley face if I knew how to insert them}

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

Allow me to set the scene for you:

Orci: gently caress me, the script's due tomorrow morning! We need to figure out how to heal Kirk.

Kurtzman: Ah poo poo man, leave me the gently caress alone. I'm trying to watch True Blood.

Orci: Hmm... {shits out the rest of the script}. Done.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

The movie as a whole would have been improved if...

... they'd written an original plot that wasn't a dumbed-down action movie grafted onto a Star Trek film with a hot-solder slurry of melted nostalgia and fanservice?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Did you know that Boyhood took twelve years to {gets shot in head by copyright cartel}

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSZg1Wy7H0k

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Gyges posted:

Please tell me it was actually TWELVE YEARS! stuff before the take down.

Since you asked nicely, yes, I will tell you. It was actually an Honest Trailer for TWELVE YEARS A BOY!

https://twitter.com/screenjunkies/status/567126983465656320

quote:

While we work on reactivating our @YouTube link - watch our @BoyhoodMovie #HonestTrailer here! http://www.break.com/video/honest-trailers-boyhood-2819153 #SpreadTheWord

https://twitter.com/screenjunkies/status/567125493753720832

quote:

screenjunkies @screenjunkies · 3h 3 hours ago

Sorry @Revdrum_ We didn't delete the Boyhood #HonestTrailer - Someone just doesn't understand "parody". We are working on getting it back!

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Here, allow me to unsuccessfully rerail the thread:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

And speaking of Spoony:

quote:

If you're having trouble spotting what the camera's focused on at the very end of the review, try looking there in an earlier scene.

It's one of two things. Here's a zoomed screencap from the end of the review:

It's either:
1) The circled thing. It wasn't present in the other Dr. Insano scene. Looks like a game cartridge, but I don't recognize which one
2) The arrow-pointed-at thing. It was present the entire review. Again, I don't recognize the logo.

Any thoughts?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

What's the layout of the redlettermedia building? Is that little alcove with the VHS shelves part of the same room with the two couches where they watch the Best of the Worst movies? Sometimes when they open the door in that alcove there's a lot of natural light coming in, but it doesn't seem like an exterior door, so does that door go to the big studio where they film half in the bag?

Studio? What?

They film in Mr. Plinkett's house. I emailed them asking if I could have a tour, but they said the house in on the bottom of the lake right now. Their insurance doesn't cover SCUBA gear for visitors (premiums were too high, I think it'll be a stretch goal on Patreon soon).

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The Matrix Series would be great for Plinkett to review.

Plinkett should review the Plinkett reviews of the Star Wars prequels.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

FirstAidKite posted:

I just thought it was a really really lazy song with bad lyrics, a boring tune, and an annoying nasally voice singing it

Seriously, animals-mals??

Nonono-- it's animals-moles!

Sexy.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

So Sarkeesian raises a bunch of money to make a web series, and makes a web series, so she's a scammer.

These guys raise a bunch of money to make a web show to call someone who raised money to make a web series and who made one a scammer, and now they don't make the show but keep the money.

How do I do that homer-brain-hurt face?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Good news everyone! CA is producing a new show! It's the game show!

Wait, no, it's just Rob & Doug sitting on a couch talking about reviews NC's already done. :|

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

They were doing that show for weeks already, it's not new.

It's only showing up on the Twitter feed now, because social media is hard apparently.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Arrow is the best Batman TV show.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

emeriin posted:

To his slight credit I believe (of course he could be lying, who knows) he said he has dyslexia and has complained at Rob in a commentary for not proof-reading a word that actually ended up being right.

He mentioned that in one of the "11 Fuckup Videos". (too lazy to look up which one). In the video he pointed out he even hosed up spelling his own name in the credits once.

I tend not to give people too much poo poo for spelling. My first language is English, and I have excellent skills in it-- and even I gently caress up spelling. It's just one of those things that can be completely invisible, no matter how many times you stare at it. Human brains are funny things.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

For the "classic reviews" entry, there's The Filthy Critic: http://www.filthycritic.com/. I'm honestly shocked the site's still around, I would have laid money on having to go to an archive.org dive there.

I wouldn't be surprised if parts of Mr. Plinkett where inspired by him. (I also wouldn't be surprised if RLM had never heard of some guy on writing reviews in the late 90s and swearing a lot)

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

I imagine it's referring to Thomas the Tank Engine.

I don't know a nice way to ask this, but how does Doug feel about Thomas the Tank Engine trains that transform and combine into a megarobot

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

what once was explicitly offered freely is one that now ends with a "Hey here's a link to donate money, here's a link to my Patreon, here's a link to my kickstarter, hey don't block my ads please" message.

.... so what? "If you enjoy this thing I did for free and STILL DO FOR FREE, and would like to support me voluntarily of your own volition, here is a non-intrusive mention of a method of doing so placed AFTER the video".

I'll take that over a midroll injected by a scummy ad network any day of the week.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

PassTheRemote posted:

I almost want to see the show, if only to see the trainwreck of quality.

I want to see that show just to see the season finale when they bring back the top winners for a Championship Round, and run them all through the EXACT SAME show again.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Ash is the best cat.

Just $9,303 left until Ash gets the drat trailer she deserves.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

So what's going on with Blip?

Chez Apocalypse's $1000/mo milestone newsletter mentions "Aaaaaaand Blip doesn’t exist anymore. Maker our new benevolent overlords (waves!) suggest moving all our content to Youtube…." (https://www.patreon.com/creation?hid=1726851)

Some other content producers are posting directly to Youtube-- such as the latest Good Hook (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6SbGRHMGo). Though the lack of his opening & closing theme makes me wonder-- how feasible is it to transfer content from blip to youtube?

Blip had some fairly lax (read: sane) policies regarding fair use of copyrighted material. Youtube has the loving insane (read: loving insane) contentID poo poo going for it. I know I've seen Phelous tweet that "Syncopated Clocks" in older videos gets flagged, and he's had to replace with the A&W Bear song. I know Spoony's Black Hole: Gone Birdin' on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQi_m8Mx_w) has huge chunks of it missing b/c it uses "What a Wonderful World". What other headaches will producers face as they attempt to move their catalog over?

And what about producers who aren't around anymore (either retired, or real life, or have passed on)? Will their back catalogs be downloaded and archived? Re-hosted? Anyway to rehost those videos while still making sure the produce (or their estate) gets whatever money comes in?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Idran posted:

Oh, that's right, I entirely forgot to mention this aspect of things. I remember a few times when people would be hit on content ID for their own creations by automated processes; I think the creator of VVVVVV got hit over his own game trailer once? And I remember a couple years back some Russian company hitting every video that had anything to do with music from the Persona series because they had something with a similar name, and a good number of those leading to actual video takedowns.

And it's worth emphasizing what dijon du jour said there: if you try to challenge a content ID match, "this person doesn't actually own the rights" isn't an option for the reason you're challenging it.

Don't forget: NASA posts footage of the Curiosity Rover landing on Mars. A news outlet uses that (public domain) footage in a newscast. The news outlet posts their news story (with clips) on Youtube, and then claims copyright on NASA's landing footage AND HAS IT TAKEN DOWN!

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/as-curiosity-touches-down-on-mars-video-is-taken-down-from-youtube/

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Miss Wallace posted:

Because sometimes people don't want to put their personal lives out on the internet.

qf-friggin-truth.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Kalos posted:

Since Phelous appears to be a goon favorite, us there a particular episode or series of his that stand out? I found him to be insufferable in the past, but as such a consistent goon darling there must be something worth a second look and it's entirely possible I just saw his worst.

You could start on the current "animated Renaissance", and start at Aladdin and the Adventures of All Time: http://phelous.com/tag/animation

For more "classic" horror, the Pulse series is one of my favorite: http://phelous.com/tag/pulse/

And in the "knows his poo poo" category, there's the reviews of the Resident Evil movies: http://phelous.com/tag/resident-evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, but it is a shame that all the white noise of idiots overshadows the good and thoughtful critiques and responses of her work. While I honestly can't stand her speaking voice I think Liana K did a really good series of videos on the FemFreq stuff.

The videos are a narration of the 5 part article "Opinion Why Feminist Frequency almost made me quit writing about video games". The articles (essays, really), are insightful and well written. They're a bit long (hence the readings), and get very in-depth-- but then again, if the stated goal is to have a well reasoned, thoughtful and researched discussion about a topic rather than just screaming Twitter-length talking points louder than your opponent, well-- you get essays.

Part 1:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-1

Part 2:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-2

Part 3:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-3

Part 4:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-4

Part 5:
http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/why-feminist-frequency-almost-made-me-quit-writing-about-video-games-part-5

• Locked thread