Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jsor posted:

(E: Though of course, there should be stuff for girls in the superhero genre too.)

Is there much other than the current Ms Marvel in the superhero genre? I only read the first trade paperback of that but it was pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel really bad that hearing the name Shauni doesn't bother me at all, but seeing it written makes me super loath it and want to slap her pretend parents for being idiots. That's not a name, god drat it! It's needs an "e" or a "y" or something.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Confession: It's me. I'm the horrible person who actually likes Iggy Azalea songs. I know they're not actually good in an academic sense but my ears, they betray me.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
What exactly is the controversy around the American Sniper anyway? I saw Seth Rogan made a tweet and Sara Palin was being Sara Palin, but what's the actual controversy? Other than, you know, support R troop vs. cowardly not support R troop.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

IIRC the guy in the movie is Captain America and John Wayne ' s lovechild. The guy IRL is a racist shitbag.

Also a bunch of guys saw the movie and all went "Yeah! Kill all Muslims! That movie rocks!".

Did you know that the favorite movie listed among EDL/BNP/National Front types over here is "This is England". This whole thing reminds me of that little factoid.

Weird, dude in the move was shown as a pretty big dick and an odd mix of naivete and racism. Like, the only time the guy is actually good is when he's pleading with the air for a kid not to pick up an RPG and about 5 minutes before the end when he tries to help wounded veterans. Otherwise the movie is pretty clear that he starts as kind of an rear end in a top hat with a 'Merica chip on his shoulder and is then given the super mellowing treatment of PTSD. They even directly parallel his actions with those of an Al Quada sniper throughout the film.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

If you think the core audience for this film is going to see anything much beyond "Kill the forrins" then I've got some depressing news for you: Humans are poo poo and also dumb.

The movie is literally about how doing this super fucks you up. I think there's one character who is present throughout the guy's tours who doesn't get killed, maimed, or appear to suffer from PTSD. This isn't a movie you come out of singing the Star Spangled Banner, unless you're, like, super hosed up. It at best will make you feel bad for all our soldiers who were wrecked by this. There's a guy literally missing his balls from the war.

I understand that the real guy this is based on is a lovely dude, but it's not like they made him look all that good in the movie. Tragic is the best you're going to come out of this thinking.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tae posted:

There's a huge difference between "technically" #1 like Nightcrawler was with 10 million dollars, and American Sniper which is making close to 100 in its opening day.

How many people research a film before seeing it? Like, what percentage of people aren't seeing Bradley Cooper, a war movie, Clint Eastwood, TRUE STORY and making their decision off that? It seems a little unfair to decide what people think of the movie based solely off their ticket purchase. It's not like this is A Haunted House.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, MikeJ may have found the Doikest movie ever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OldMemes posted:

Joe went to Congress in costume? I like the guy for his goofball charm, that's pretty unprofessional. Are members of the public just allowed to go to congress, or do you have to be invited/jump through loads of hoops?

The less quoted end of the 1st Amendment means congress has to deal with every Tom, Dick, and Harry who wants to talk about anything from SOPA to the illegal coverup of the Lizard People invasion.

quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

nine-gear crow posted:

But yeah, if Joe actually went inside the US Capitol building and met with Lamar Alexander dressed like this, then that was incredibly tone deaf on his part. ...Even if Lamar Alexander is a colossal shithead who tables assholish bills like SOPA and doesn't deserve a tinker's drat of respect in 99% of all other circumstances.

If he actually met with Lamar Alaxander dressed as and in full character as Cobra Commander, then he's doing god's work.

Unless you're rich, famous, or end up having an uber compelling story you aren't going to be meeting with a congressman on your lobby trip though. When you prowl the halls, going from office to office you talk with their staff. If the staff thinks your presentation is something the congressman would actually have some interest in then they might schedule you to actually meet with that congressman. Maybe.

From the description though it sounds like they hired/met with a professional lobbyist, so it's likely they at least met with chiefs of staff instead of the secretary though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cubey posted:

the movie that actually deserves all the oscars is twister's revenge, for this and every other year

e: in all seriousness, do the Oscars even matter really or do people just look at them like they look at Grammys?

Nobody cares who wins or who doesn't win the Grammys. Nobody cares who wins the Oscars either, but everyone loves to obsess over who didn't win/get nominated who obviously should.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

Why do they hate it so much? The original review boiled down to it being a neat gimmick that turned out boring. Did their fans jump down their throats about it or something? Or are they just infuriated that other people like it?

I don't think they really hate it. It seems more that they think it's getting undo praise beyond the usual bounds of I hate it, you love it lets grab a beer and talk about something else. Also, a lot of the praise, at least what I've heard, seems to be about things like the revolutionary method of filming over 12 years than anything actually in the movie. By which I mean I rarely hear anything about the things that could have been done by making the movie last year and just having it be about the last 12 years. Which is why their joke is pretty much 12 YEARS TO FILM!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The worst thing about gamergate is that I'm a Stargate dork and every time I see it a small part of my brain claps like a 5 year old and smiles about traveling to other worlds through games. Way to ruin that with misogyny and general dickery, internet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

Sorry, but who's Nash?

In the 80s and early 90s cop shows decided that they needed to be all dramatic and poo poo. Over time people got tired of that and shows like Walker Texas Ranger and Nash Bridges were made. Shows that would have an episode about fighting a grizly in the wild with your white guy native American mystic, but totally 100% Jesus loving Christian, white guy karate moves. Or in the case of Nash Bridges try and pretend that Miami Vice would totally be cool if it were about middle aged guys tooling around San Fransisco, totally not too old for this poo poo, but man it's close.

Staring Cheech Marin, a yellow 1970 Plymouth Barracuda, and Don Johnson as Nash Bridges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r24aIEnOGc0

Also there were lots of hot ladies on the show, which I was quite keen on being a teenager at the time.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

Does Deflategate make you feel the same way?

So far just gamergate, irisgate, and taupegate.

Deflategate makes me think of Hollywood Jamaica, also Hooray, Beer! Then about footballs and feeling bad about thinking Jamaica first.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KayTee posted:

Quick note to expand on this because I've seen it far too often. Obeying the local tribe's stone tablets of correct behaviour doesn't make you lawful - it's adherence to your own personal code.

I was in one infuriating group playing as a Paladin and I had a DM who flat out told me that my Paladin couldn't break into the bad guys house to smash his magic gem of fuckin' the city up because breaking and entering is against the law. Nope, my guy had to sit in the inn, BA Baraccus style, while the other players concocted a story on how they were going to go about that mission without letting on to me that they were doing crimes - because obviously the useless paladin would smite them all righteously the moment they did anything naughty.

Drow society (yeah, bringin' up Drow. Peak D&D nerdiness ahead) is ridiculously regimented with castes, houses, overly specific laws dealing with
overly specific violations, you must do X on a Sunday and you must do Y at Lolth's temple when your brother gets his (much deserved, stupid boy) beating and so on.

But Drow are chaotic. They play along with the rules and will adhere to them so long as they're being watched - even enforcing them so long as it benefits them. but you can be pretty drat sure every single one of them is planning how to murder the woman in the position above them so they can get a step up. Yes the Matriarch is all powerful and must be obeyed and here you go my lady, try this special wine I've made just for you. See - own personal credo - not the society, town, settlement or yurt you happen to be in at the time.

Alignments are dumb and no one does them right. But I like them. Alignment chat is like the gamergate of D&D. There. I said it. :can:

I think things like this are due to people not thinking through a situation at all. Every society has exceptions and contradictions written into their laws. For instance it is totally illegal to kill someone, unless [surprisingly long list of exceptions that make killing someone lawful]. In the case of breaking and entering, almost everywhere has exceptions for when not doing so would result in harm to others. Following the letter of the law can allow you to be anything from a pillar of the community to the hated and ostracized rear end in a top hat down the road. The Phelps clan operate 100% within the law after all.

And that's just secular law, without even taking into account common law's tacit approval for unlawful acts that comply with the extra-legal approval of the jury system. Religious laws are even more forgiving of doing horrendous poo poo "for the right reason". Thou Shalt not kill, except for those heathens over there, wipe those fucks off the face of the earth. A lawyer or a priest is going to be able to justify a whole hell of a lot of poo poo, saintly to demonic, with laws.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cubey posted:

I like Joe's gaming controversy video last year, but hearing this poo poo about his video this year is disappointing. It's not helping that he's apparently throwing a fit at BroTeamPill for the copyright claim. I mean I'd be loving pissed if I got lumped with gamergaters too, and according to the BroTeam guy he tried to handle it in a more amicable way and got ignored.

While weakly maintaining an argument that the whole thing sucks, he mostly talked about how the gamer gate people suck. Occasionally he would toss in that there were some examples of anti-gamer gate having doxxed and harassed gamer gate people. Mostly it was couched in a framing of gamer gate being so pathetic that seeking to eradicate every gater and the hashtag was more or less poor sport. How you can watch it and sigh about Joe just not getting it, why isn't he anti-gamer gate, is beyond me.

His main sticking point with regard to labeling himself anti-gamer gate, despite detailing how sexist and horrible gamer gate is, seems to be that he knows some people getting painted with a large brush. I'm assuming this because he mentions the lack of solidarity in a hashtag movement. Whether you find his neutrality an artifice, which it largely is, or a betrayal of his previous stances is up to you. Dude's pretty anti-gamer gate judging by what he actually said.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cubey posted:

Apparently all BroTeam asked for was a disclaimer in the video description that he had nothing to do with GamerGate, and that request was ignored. I'm not sure why that was apparently so hard for Joe to do that it had to get to this level for him to do it, and apparently Joe kept emailing him a bunch after they'd already settled things and the DCMA was withdrawn.

It's a dumb graphic that Joe didn't make that is widely available on the internet. BroTeam seem to have some real thin skin about something that is completely inconsequential. Filing a take down over it is a complete dick move and makes them look like babies.

Jsor posted:

I think my issue with Lawful stems from when I played Neverwinter Nights. Bioware scarred me for life. I got enough alignment points away from Lawful to go straight to Neutral by doing something stupid like "disagreeing with a corrupt lord's authority to banish someone for trying to save the town" or something. It just made me hate the whole system. It really isn't a blanket condemnation of the idea, but it's usually implemented poorly.

Bioware sucks at alignment. They create the game with the assumption you're going to spend the whole game saving kitties or burning villages to the ground. No one could possibly choose something other than pure good or pure evil, especially when we give ridiculous scenarios for you to choose from! Like in SF Debris KTOR play through where the "good" choice is just going with the idiotic plan based on pure guess work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tracula posted:

I was looking around a bit on Google for stuff with this currently drama bomb with Joe vs Broteam and I found this: http://angryjoesucks.blogspot.com/ . I figured that it woulda been updated 1-2 times every and been abandoned years ago but whoever is running this is loving obsessed with Joe to a rather creepy level :stare:

Anything that has a prominent place for popular posts that is lead by Joe breaking up with his girlfriend has got to be some sort of meta commentary on creepy hate sites. Like, I'm not going to actually read any of it, but I'm just going to go with it being some elaborate joke.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ninjahedgehog posted:

Honestly, I'm sort of surprised he hasn't done Ice Ice Baby yet.

Does Vanilla Ice really count as a one hit wonder? There's not much there, but he did insane sales and had at least two or three other songs that charted. Also, Ninja Rap.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr. Fowl posted:

drat, that is a poo poo way to make a living. Internet people have the worst tax rate in America.

I'd assume it's that high because they're covering all the employer's portion of social security and medicare plus normal withholding. It's probably the same as normal self employment/contract work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ultragonk posted:

Bit late on this but while the production isn't as good as Baywatching the content is still as great!

The Hoff only funds projects that he stars in.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alacron posted:

People really wanted an "edgy" Speed Racer?

Just... :wtc:

Nerds will never be satisfied. No matter what.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiritus Nox posted:

You think part of this sort of thing is Patreon and such making it easier for small content producers to get compensation for things? I don't know what places like Machinima, Escapist, or CA pay or how easy it is to replicate that money with Patreon or independent ad revenue - although lots of guys seem to be able to do okay without being managed these days. Look how few fucks the Two/Super Best Friends give about the Machinima gig these days.

Unless you're crazy popular Patreon is probably going to beat ad revenue every day of the week. Especially if you're only somewhat or medium popular. My sister in law does youtube videos and gets a few hundred to a few thousand hits per video, with which gets her somewhere in the neighborhood of jack poo poo revenue wise. Her Patreon on the other hand pays her several hundred dollars a month.

With Patreon a couple hundred fans can far outstrip ad revenue from thousands of views. So unless you're getting super high views, and that's sustained from video to video, Machinima and other platform providers just can't compete. Of course if you're getting that many hits you can also open up a Patreon and get crazy money that way. Platform providers are becoming more and more useless as ad revenue falls and external support systems grow. Assuming they're large enough they probably do provide some level of protection from dickbag take down requests though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We must get a sample of Khan's blood and not one from the 72 people we have readily available!

The movie as a whole would have been improved if one of the 72 other people were the ubermench running around while Khan continues to sleep. Torpedoes full of genetic supermen and you insist on going with the one guy specified as Indian for your most English of English actor to play.

Though you could sort of half argue from a drunken stupor that they needed Khan's blood because the other blood was frozen and they needed unfrozen blood. Ignoring all the super science tech and transporters and stuff.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Omnicrom posted:

I thought this was already the rumor? I'd heard they were going to try and crowbar in Picard and the Borg into New Trek 3, or am I confusing rumored rumor for actual rumor?

I think Picard still has a few decades before he's even born.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Please tell me it was actually TWELVE YEARS! stuff before the take down.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Spiritus Nox posted:

On the subject of whitewashing - how bad should I feel about the fact that, despite her being white, I actually think that Scarlett Johansson is otherwise a really good fit for Ghost In The Shell's Motoko Kusanagi? Like, is it in poor form for me to even think she could do that character justice? I've been turning that over in my head ever since her name first came up in association with the role.

Since the Major is just a ghost inside several different cybernetic shells throughout the series, probably slightly worse than lying to your mother about using low fat milk instead of whole milk in your cereal.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DStecks posted:

Unless the GITS movie is being set in the west, in which case who gives a gently caress. It's every bit our prerogative to relocate and recontextualize an adaptation as it is for Japan to make Spider-Man Japanese and give him a giant robot.

EDIT: I feel the need to further explain, so nobody gets the wrong idea. If the GITS movie is still set in Japan, and the Major is still named Matoko Kusanagi, then yeah casting Scarlett Johanson is pretty hosed. But if the story's been fundamentally recontextualized, then it's a bit premature to scream whitewashing.

As long as it's made clear that it's just one of her bodies it could actually be interesting. A Japanese Special Force Major running around Japan in the body of Scarlett Johanson and answering to the name Matoko Kusanagi. If it's clear that a significant portion of the cast look like who they do because that's the cybernetic body they chose, that's some interesting additional information to the story. It wouldn't really help with Hollywood's love of the whiteness, but you could make an interesting bit of commentary on societal desires and trends. Especially if Section 9 uses that with members jumping bodies a couple times.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

You could have given me months to think of the most insane way to deliver the line "I am the perfect cyborg" and there's no way in hell I could have topped that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

How... the gently caress... does a taxable income of $100,000... get a tax rate of loving 2%!?!? DOWN from the higher 10%?!!!? While people under that bracket are taxed 30% or MORE?!?!?

... I must be missing something, but it's too late at night for me to be delving into the tax system of a country I don't even live in.

The short answer is that the American Tax system is hosed up.

The long answer is that the American Tax system is designed so that the more you make the easier it is to pay a lower percentage. Frequently rich rear end CEOs and mega billionaires pay a lower percentage of their income than their secretaries do.

However in the specific case of what Lindsay was talking about, you only pay Social Security taxes on income up to a certain point. It's been around 100k for the last decade. Since the Social Security tax is 12.4%(6.2% each for employer and employee, which 1099 workers pay both of) you're dropping all that off income over that level. When you add in deductions for everything like Lindsay was talking about it's possible to lower your total taxable income quite a bit.

So as a 1099 you pay Social Security tax of 12.4% only on income up to the limit, Medicare tax of 2.9% on total income, and then income tax on an amount reached after all deductions are accounted for. The income tax rate for 100k is around 30% for portion over 90ishk, 25% on the part 37ishk but below 90ishk, 15% on the part over 9ishk but under 37ishk, and 10% on the part under 9ishk.

If you deduct absolutely everything and live a life where virtually everything you have/do can at least partially be deducted you can end up paying very little in income taxes as a total percentage of your gross yearly wages. Remember that for the one year of tax returns Mitt Romney made public he only paid a total of 14%. That was for a year that he knew was going to be public and it's most likely that he went back and amended it latter so he paid less.

Whenever an American tells you that their taxes are too high they are either not rich, doing their taxes wrong, or are full of poo poo and deserve a swift kick to the balls. All the available deductions mean that most people never, ever, pay what tax rates say on paper. For instance someone making 100k would be in the 30% percent tax bracket. After deductions, almost no one making 100k actually pays 30%. The more creative your deductions the less the actual percentage you pay.

Americans also tend to refer to how much they gross owe by the highest tax bracket they are in. Thus someone making 100k would say they owe 30% even though under no circumstances would they ever actually owe 30%. We weird like that.

There's also a corollary part to this where an astonishingly high percentage of Americans don't understand how taxes actually work. They think that someone makes 100k has to pay 30% of 100k in taxes instead of 30% of 10ishk plus the various rates of the other slices of their income pie. Some people actually turn down raises or seek to not make more money so as to avoid paying more in taxes under the belief that $1 more in income would actually cost them more than $1 in taxes.

Because not only is the American Tax system hosed, so is the American Educational system. We have all but nonexistent financial education built into our schooling.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 19, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kunster posted:

"RLM gets a lotta dosh from their fans" is a bit of a poo poo point when I can just go "Felix Arvid Ulf Kjellberg makes around 2-3 million a year from doing stuff on youtube" and "Guy Fieri Anything".

Please note that I'm not saying that RLM is terrible at what they do.

I'd argue that creating a gimmick that works as successfully as them does show real talent. Like, you've really got to think crazy like a fox to come up with Guy Fieri's gimmick and be sure that that's where the money is. It's Kaufmanesque.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of saying dumb, bigoted stuff on the Internet, the Escapist's new writer just made quite a first impression. :stare:

It's impressive to start out saying something completely dickish and then quickly pivot your dickishnesh in a totally different direction.

I shouldn't have to act decent around "those" people. And yes, now that you bring it up I should be able to utter hate speech with abandon. Stop treading on me! :ancap:

WickedHate posted:

I don't think people should be punished if they just make a mistake, and I'm happy when people learn and get better, but let me ask you this: How old were you at the time? Because Doug is 33 and has plenty of access to knowlege that he shouldn't say that. As I said, he should know better. It's like saying someone who's been driving for years arguing that they shouldn't get a ticket because they "never knew" about speed limits. I don't think he's different then this guy. You can't really imagine him looking you in the eye and honestly telling you that he had no idea that word is offensive. That's bullshit.

Considering that it's only recently that there's been a noticeable push to stop using the word, the fact that he's 33 would if anything lend credence toward the idea that he's not aware it's hurtful. We're still at the point where it is completely possible to be unaware of trans issues in near totality with absolutely no effort taken to do so.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jsor posted:

I just finished the video. Yeah, I don't think he was critiquing the society as racist in the later book... :stare:

You mentioned Tolkein when you talked about races being inherently evil. I'm not an expert on Tolkein (I can't stand the guy's prose enough to dedicate myself to that, for one), but as I understand it -- it's not that they're evil because they're orcs, it's that they're orcs because they're evil. In that an orc that became good would spontaneously become an elf. You can still do some nasty racist poo poo with that sort of idea, but I think it's a lot cooler and has a lot more potential for not being terrible than "these guys are evil because they are".

Orcs are elves that were tortured and corrupted by Morgoth's magic into twisted evil things. Trolls are something similar off of giants, I think. They're both basically just demons. Men are really the only races that really has full free will to be good or evil. Elves are lesser 3rd degree angels, dwarves are rock men who are pretty much only interested in Dwarf poo poo, Ents are just trees interested in Tree poo poo, and halflings are an offshoot of men or something.

Saruman's Uruk-Hai might actually have free will since they're half man, but who knows. They're half demon and created by essentially a fallen angel.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

Does this mean that Jehovah exists in Lord of the Rings World? That seems even worse, theologically speaking, than just making it a heathen Viking world.

Illuvatar is pretty similar to Jehovah, except he made all of creation through a song instead of simply speaking it into existence. Because he's got way more pizazz than dull old Jehovah.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How long until someone creates a 12 year cut of Boyhood?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
SFDebris has a new episode up on Stargate Atlantis' Duet. It's interesting because I remember finding the episode fairly funny, but after watching his review I realize how it was actually pretty horrifying. Though I do disagree that just because the Goa'uld are horrible monsters worse than death that it necessarily follows that a similar but very different situation can't be funny instead.

A malevolent parasite and a vampire transporter accident can both result in the overpowering of your consciousness by another being, but the differences are still fairly large. Also nice of both Jack and Rodney to use the Stargate to overcome the situation. Though it didn't work out nearly so well for Kowalski and the Goa'uld when Jack did it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So am I the only person here watching internet critics out of pure boredom rather than self medication?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys are over looking the biggest failing in getting the audience not to like Scar. He was voiced by Jeremy Irons. How is the audience ever going to like Jonathan Taylor Thomas/Matthew Broderick over Jeremy Irons? At least when it was James Earl Jones vs Jeremy Irons there was some goddamn gravitas in the conflict.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
No one should ever identify with Roarschach, his whole thing is being a gross conspiracy theory crazy man. However, given your other character choices, I can totally see him being your favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I hope Game Grumps beat Zelda 2 without cheating at the end.

I want to know how the hell he has so much trouble with the various shield guys. You don't have to jump to hit them. Their shield clearly moves.

• Locked thread