Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Does anyone know if the success of Geek and Sundry's Tabletop has led to other critic like shows focused on board games? If there was a group of people I liked/tolerated that just played interesting board games I would totally keep it on as background noise while working.

Like, there was some youtube show called Board with Life that was about people who play board games and their ZANY LIFE and I was thinking, look, these actors seem like pleasant people capable of being funny, can they skip the fiction and just play games instead? I just checked and it looks like they realized this too and they have lots of gameplay videos recently posted.

The exception to that is, of course, James Rolfe.

Any other good shows of people just playing and reviewing board games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Miss Wallace posted:

Also Mike apparently plans to pitch the game show to a TV network affiliate.

Imagine them still re-filming the same show with the same questions for a whole season because that's all they learned how to do. The timing and host banter stay the same every episode but each time a different set of guests interact with the weird gameshow bubble world.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Jay O you mentioned awhile back in the thread how economic issues led to anime companies making stuff targeted at a female audience/marketed in news ways. Have you written any columns on that? I mentioned it to a friend and they were interested in how that played out.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

PiedPiper posted:

I want to see how they react to the Garfield phone.

I watched Ninja Terminator so, so many times.

Jaguar Mother loving Wong.

I mean, just imagining how these movies were made.... Buying up half-finished (Taiwanese?) movies that ran out of money, adding in a bunch of completely unrelated scenes with random white guy ninjas, a few ridiculous self-exploding effects... the magic of the baseball fight when the guy just wanted directions...

Everyone in this thread who is a critic of some sort, please. This movie.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why did you need to remind me that was a thing? Bruce Campbell, why?

If you're playing the Kevin Bacon game from memory only, this movie is critical for linking the Phil Silvers/Cid Caeser/Milton Berle block to the modern era. Borgnine gets you into everything from the Dirty Dozen, Spongebob, and, most importantly, the stupid-cameo-filled 1985 made-for-TV Alice in Wonderland which, if you had bothered to memorize it, is BASICALLY cheating.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's an interesting This American Life episode where it talks about the Education of Little Tree and how it was written by a white supremacist - and whether or not the man's previous politics affected the value of the book. Sort of tangential to what you were talking about in this episode, but I thought it was an interesting consideration all the same.

Having read both of his Outlaw Josey Wales books as a kid, I can assure you that the background as a white supremacist REALLY comes through in those. Not to mention all the other issues you would expect a guy like that to have. They really toned it down in the Eastwood movie.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also talks about racist caricatures, and the career of one of the strangest bad voice actresses who ever worked, Apollo Smile.

If I had to determine with one question if someone had grown up with similar pop culture experiences to mine, I think "Have you ever heard of Apollo Smile?" would probably be what I use. That was a very weird, VERY short time.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Oh this is fascinating already. I always wondered as a child why a show I loved went to hell (ditto on the addition of random snot-nosed brat to Ninja Turtles).

Who were these consulting firms? Where did they come from? How did they gain influence? How long did it take people to understand that not every kind of story benefits from the addition of kid sidekicks?

Edit: Holy poo poo making the one black guy the driver what the gently caress cartoon consultants?

Paladin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 3, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

All of this makes me even more amazed that Batman: The Animated Series came out only a few years later.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is almost certainly it.

Plus Jazz is considered to be sultry music.

It all stems from the song Baker Street. This led to a saxophone phase in the 80s that carried over into TV!

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Let's talk about how bullshit it is that the black and white version of the film isn't being put on the Blu-Ray disc, most likely so the distribution company can do some double dipping with a super deluxe edition.

Wait I hadn't heard about this, do I have to buy the multi-format?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Just out of curiousity, everything I read about the Old Days of Animation (the 90s) and a few vaguely remembered books said that voice actors had always had incredibly weak bargaining positions, didn't do well with royalties, etc. I heard that one of the reasons so many 80s and 90s cartoons had extraneous songs was that, due to music royalty practices, it was one of the only ways voice actors could get consistent royalties from shows. Any truth to that? How has it changed in the past fifteen-ish years?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Watching those clips of American UItra made me remember how great that "Every Frame a Painting" video on why nobody can make a decent action comedy anymore these days was so great.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

vibrate the adamantium plate out of Hammerhead's skull

Isn't this almost exactly how Ultimate Gambit kills Ultimate Hammerhead, if you replace "vibrate" with "kinetisplode"?

Ultimate Marvel really was trying too hard to be dark and edgy most of the time, wasn't it?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Wait... how many animated Christmas episodes did they do?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Infamous Sphere posted:

There's at least a couple of people featured in my earlier videos with whom I had a relatively messy and involved falling-out. So it's been "interesting' revisiting those videos when re-uploading old episodes to Youtube post blipocalypse.

Now I'm just imagining one of your alternate personas getting completely fed up and leaving.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is there a gaming equivalent to Every Frame a Painting? Someone who takes a look into the deeper artistry, storytelling and mechanics of games? Kimble Justice is somewhat close, but anyone have other suggestions?

Errant Signal is pretty great, he goes through a lot of older/quirkier games that had interesting mechanics, and covers how new games use mechanics in an interesting way.

I think Noah Caldwell-Gervais has some great analysis videos as well, just be prepared for them to be long.

Also, Todd did a one hit wonderland on Turning Japanese... yet somehow missed the bit of music history about the oriental riff originating in an 1847 play about Aladdin. Come on dude, it's on wikipedia and everything!

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Jsor posted:

It's not that simple,

Oh, well that's cool to know then! More interesting history than I thought, and I can see how he wouldn't want to spend half the video going into it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

poparena posted:

It's Halloween on the East Coast, so here's a Goosebumps book review! Monster Blood!

That was fun, for some reason I really clearly remembered the plot of those books specifically out of all the goosebumps books. I can assure you that the sequels do not begin to make more sense.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

echopapa posted:

Just as the AV Club steps in to defend the prequels, I throw them out and re-write them. The Jedi are now a secret society, and more!

I've often thought it would be fun to have writing contests where people rewrite reviled parts of beloved series-- write a better prequel, write a better Indy IV, rewrite the finale of almost any major TV sci-fi to see if you can make it not terrible, etc. Nearly every fan idea I've heard for how the prequels could have been written seems more entertaining than what we got.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Jimbot posted:

He does make a good point, I love Pillars a whole lot - it's really fun. But it does lack that little something of unbalanced items that Baldur's Gate had. It felt very calculated whereas Baldur's Gate's world felt more real because not everything was balanced. Of course there would be an extremely powerful 2-handed sword guarded by a dragon. Of course there's a longsword that caused terrible mayhem upon your foes given to you by a demon for being an evil prick. I appreciate the balance in the classes but the items could have been on the wilder side.

I played Planescape and Arcanum for the first time a couple years back and really enjoyed them. I quit both Wasteland 2 and Pillars part-way through out of boredom. Video was nice in sort of helping me figure out why.

Edit: I mean, it's weird-- much better gaming mechanics in Pillars and Wasteland 2, and I did create four or five characters I ended up not using in Arcanum since certain builds were terrible, but the way you interacted with the world seemed more engaging? The more I think about it the more confused I am.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 16, 2015

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

so their ultimate legacy is this collection of bizarre and ridiculous album covers.

I'm going to link this guitar, because I almost never come across someone who can fully appreciate it in context and I think your life will be better knowing that it exists.

I give you, the Louvin Brothers "Satan Is Real" Guitar.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Hbomberguy, I'd love to see you talk about Planescape or Arcanum if you ever feel like it. Most youtube content I've seen on those stays really, really vague in the hopes that people could still be convinced to play them.

Anyone know any good Planescape or Arcanum videos that aren't just "you really, really should play these"? I made some of the most interesting, weird characters I've ever created for a PC game in Arcanum... only to give up and run with a mage because everything else felt underpowered and impossible to pay the upkeep on.

On Fallout 4: I created, like, ten different characters in the hopes that I could make some kind of choice that actually impacted my play experience. When heartless cannibal and goody-two-shoes scientist played almost exactly the same from a character and dialogue perspective I just gave up.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

This thread certainly took a turn.

HBomberguy! Liked the action scene video. Good examples of empty vs. character driven action. Do you think the problems you discuss happen more these days due to the nature of digital/green screen stuff or was it always a problem and I just notice/care about it now?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

DStecks posted:

From what Jim says, it seems like the eastern and western divisions of Square Enix are basically separate companies.

So, no one at Square Enix has read Console Wars?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

I wonder if there are System Shock 2 fans out there who still insist you can't make a Shock game that doesn't take place in space...

Also Bioshock 2 suffered because it was stuck bolting its own stuff onto the existing universe.

After the mess that was Infinite, I legitimately expected the expansions to somehow end with "Elizabeth is SHODAN" or something like that.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

James Townsend posted a video with a clickbait title (You won't BELIEVE what's in these tarts!). Then he apparently had a crisis of conscience and changed it to something more forthright. Now he has posted a video explain-apologizing for his actions. Truly he is too pure and good for this internet.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Lindsey Ellis and Dan Olson talk about if you should go to Film School: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxKwUi78zc

Considering that I started following this thread due to discussions surrounding That Set She Didn't Name, I'm glad she was able to spend some time talking about how ramshackle dangerous, and poorly managed a film set run by the untrained and unprepared can be.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh, they actually liked it?

I'll be honest. I stopped watching half in the bag and stick to just best of the worst

They did not.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Is there anyone out there I could watch for inspiration on discussing/critiquing things that don't easily lend themselves to clips/visuals-- things like books or radio? I'm thinking of doing some videos examining interesting textbooks and the educational theories behind them, and short of just including lots of scanned images from each book I'm kind of stuck for what I could do to make this visually interesting.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

Have you considered shrill screaming while shooting a fake gun in the air? Maybe mug for the camera after?

I would only do that for books on directing/managing a film set and possibly a textbook on business correspondence.

Baka-nin posted:

Poparena does a lot of reviews on pulp novels, and Sf Debris did a series on the Foundation series and World War Z, and a few DR Who reviews on episodes that only exist as audio books.

Miss Wallace posted:

This is a video I did on a Quantum Leap novel:

I'll check these out, thanks!

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I always viewed this thread as a place where fan-people go to watch/listen to creator people dish on the reality of being a Famous Internet Critic, and while I came and subscribed initially for stories about awful "film" shoots and general mismanagement horror stories about the leadership of Certain Associations of Critical Aficianados being Complete rear end at Corporate Affairs, I stayed subscribed because regulars and creators would consistently introduce me to great people I never would have bothered paying attention to otherwise.

Kim, HBombz, Kyle (he does post here, right?), Infamous Sphere, even more recent stuff by Allison and Phelan-- I never would have bothered watching or getting back into if I didn't have a recommendation feed that I could trust. Youtube algorithms would have just kept sending me a bunch of gamergate trash, and there was no where else on the internet I would dare wade into in search of People Talking At Webcams for fear of dealing with tremendous amounts of poo poo.

So, I'm sorry that ten bucks is not enough to make this a true refuge from the usual internet tendencies. I always felt that this thread devolved into rehashing old conversations when there were no creators around to keep it occupied, but that ultimately drives the creators away, so... well, "stay and rule with an iron fist" isn't really an option and it's no one's obligation to keep us continually distracted with new shiny objects.

All of your presences are valued and appreciated, though, when you have the energy for it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

ContraPoints continues to kill it in both the video and wardrobe departments.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Terrible Opinions posted:

So when hbomb includes the bit about Dan Olsen "infiltrating" the Return of Kings meet up, is there a larger video of Dan making fun of PUAs. If there is I cannot find and would like to.

Dan made a very short film on PUA/MRA types about a year back, and I think he was doing a lot of research during that time.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

I'm really enjoying this crossover episode.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Any solid reviews yet on how the Ghost in the Shell movie completely misses the point/good qualities of the source material?

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Libluini posted:

My review: It's more of a reinterpretation of the source than an actual Ghost in the Shell movie. However, taken as its own thing, it's a surprisingly good Cyberpunk movie. I enjoyed it. It's a good movie.

Darth Walrus posted:

The fact that the Major and her gang are now working for a Big Evil Megacorporation rather than a democratic government does seem like it'll strip away some of the story's moral complexity. In the original manga and its anime adaptations, Section 9 were both saviours and oppressors, attempting to balance the basic duty of care of their jobs with the corruption and realpolitik of the people who employed them and literally owned their bodies. In the first movie, Motoko may be sick and tired of her job, but you can't get revenge against something as vast and impersonal as a government, you can only escape it. A heroic revenge narrative both simplifies the story and offers the characters far more agency than they had in the original.

The bit about Evil Megacorp is what had me hesitant, so yeah kind of confirms my fears thematically.

Really I was just hoping it would result in more people talking about Stand Alone Complex. I think I'd watch basically ANYONE talk about Stand Alone Complex, especially in the modern political environment.

Edit:

Arcsquad12 posted:

An unbelievably stupid plot twist

Wait, seriously? Holy poo poo.

Paladin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 4, 2017

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

So, wanted to give Liana K. a chance, read through the five part series, had some decent takes in there but... THIS was kinda weird.

Liana posted:

Secondly, this one felt personal, as I said. I'm sick and tired of the boob libel -- I've spent my entire adult life being defined by my chest and I've had it. If a character has large breasts, Feminist Frequency works overtime to find something wrong with her. I think it's because they have a competitive emotional reaction to a well-endowed character getting positive attention, but we'll never know for sure.

Was that supposed to be a joke in context? It didn't seem like it.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

The most annoying thing to me about Crystal Skull is that, in the mediocre tomb raider rip off "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine," it APPEARS that they've just replaced Nazis with Soviets, but in the end it turns out that the American CIA handler is the real mega-rear end in a top hat of the story. The Soviet scientist is a scientist who, like Indy, just wants to know more about the world.

So, a mid-tier video game had a more nuanced, interesting take on the cold war than Crystal Skull. That's the first problem.

The SECOND problem is a matter of narrative escalation. Generally in action movies, the action starts small and gets bigger/more ridiculous as the movie goes on. Indy vs. Nuke in act 1 makes all other confrontation fall flat because you literally cannot go bigger in a conventional sense.

But! The entire MOVIE suffers from this. Every entry in the first three movies is about Indy fulfilling the duties one has to God or the gods when no one else can. He has had literal, material contact with the divine-- on multiple occasions. Even if you ignore how the presence of aliens fits in/clashes with the religious angle of the first three movies, they are still a step DOWN in power/threat/importance. Fate of Atlantis got away with it because the ghosts of dead Atlanteans were a constant illusion/possibility that put them on a reasonable level of power-- and you had hours of gameplay to build up Atlantis. Vaguely defined aliens... aren't.

Finally, the fourth movie was, thematically, all but required to be about Islam. There is a chronological progression to the movies and you can't jump straight to modern aliens without wrecking it. Sure, it was never going to happen for a lot of reasons, but I'm genuinely surprised I've never seen anyone else mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0S0Z8lUTg&t=945s
And now to discuss some genuinely good game writing.

Kreia kind of ruined Star Wars for me forever, in the best way. It doesn't hurt that Kreia is basically Ravel Puzzewell... in a very literal way apparently because Planescape is weird like that.

• Locked thread