Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Rebochan posted:

Paw actually reviewed Incredibly Strange Creatures forever ago because it considered itself a musical. That poor bastard.

Oh hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cubey posted:

According to Frank, their criteria for including a movie on the show was that you could follow the story. So uh...how the gently caress did any of Coleman Francis' movies make it in, then :psyduck:

Well, things happened in a sort of sequence, and there were the same characters throughout. I understand this is not always the case for bad movies.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

I don't know if I agree. That sounds more like a guilty pleasure. It's more like being pressured into thinking something's bad. If you like something, then on some level it is good, even if you don't know what those reasons are or can't adequately express them. There is some value to it. I guess you are trying to say whether it's objectively good vs. subjectively good. But when you're giving your opinion on anything, whether it be an anime, a video game, or whatever, then it's all subjective. The objective standards you're trying conform to is more or less the approval of some sort of social hegemony. It's sort of your opinion colored by the opinions of your peers, or maybe even overall societal pressures on what you are or are not supposed to like. I'm not quite sure if that's very objective.

You can enjoy something while accepting that it objectively has little technical or artistic quality. Conversely, you can hate something while accepting that it's very well made. It doesn't have to be some sort of peer pressure thing; it can just be saying, "Yeah, I know this poo poo is the entertainment equivalent of store-brand snack cakes, but it has goofy vampire poo poo in it and I fukken love goofy vampire poo poo."

I don't have to feel guilty about my awful tastes in entertainment, because I know that "bad" and "good" describe its quality and are not some kind of moral judgment. I can accept that they suck but I still love them because they appeal to some stupid interest I have.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

Deviant Art has literally made everything in the world sexist then. All you can do is judge the author's work, from your perspective, not how others reacted to it. Outside of Other M, this series had been completely free of that bullshit and it's far from a highly thought of or influencal game.

It was meant as 8 bit joke, complete reminder that Samus totally was a woman.

I don't like this new low-fat HBG.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm not seeing what you trying to show here. She's drawn to be "attractive" or whatever, but her tits aren't flopping about or isn't wearing something ridiculous. There is a semi detailed portrayal of her rear end, which isn't even really in frame. This isn't loving Neuptuina or objectionable unless you are looking back on this from the mindframe of Other M, which might have killed the franchise.

The Zero Suit is basically Zero Body Paint and she's got the sexy hiptilt pose thing going on. This does not communicate "strong" or "just been through some poo poo," it communicates, "look how sexy my rear end is." I don't even know what the hell you mean by her rear end not being in frame; it's laid out to be one of the focal points of the image according to rule of thirds. Hell, the whole composition of the art is basically guiding the eye straight to the butt.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I suspect part of the popularity just comes from the fact that there didn't seem to be a lot of options for lesbian romance at the time that weren't "we're gay because we're in an all girls school, but when we graduate, we'll settle down with a man and pop out babies like nature intended." Homosexual love between schoolmates is apparently just a Thing in Japan, but it's expected that you'll grow out of it, so it's hard to find a romance that might continue into adulthood.

KnM doesn't seem to supply anything really GOOD there, but I don't think there was a whole lot of competition in that area.

(I assume the constant boob stuff and the doormat waifu poo poo also contributed a lot. It seems a lot of nerds are REALLY into the character of "sweet, innocent martyr girl with no will of her own.")

ETA:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why would you even bother spending 600 bucks to make this poor guy trudge through something he clearly doesn't give a poo poo about? Why not ask for like an episode and see that "Oh, he clearly hates it, welp better not spend an absurd amount of money on it!"

When people really like a thing, they have a hard time understanding that others may not like that thing. Also they want to advertise it all over so it gets more fans.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

At least you know the level of competency will be considerably higher than that of the Walkers/Michaud.

Also I get the impression that Linkara is more flexible and fun to work with. Like, I think his writing sucks, but everything I've seen of him indicates he's a really nice, albeit nerdy guy.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Its amazing how hard it seems to be for comic book artists to draw children

It can be really hard for artists with only basic training to draw body types other than the default they learned. Check out Medieval and Renaissance pictures of the Madonna and child and see how many Baby Jesuses are basically midgets with weird heads.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's still way dumb to pay money to sit in a cinema and watch a movie you hate. Is your social life that hard up that you can't just say, "Nah, man, not my thing, but let's hang out later in the week" or what?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can I just say that I wish joss whedon had never touched the Marvel movies? I like a lot of the individual flicks but I felt that he sidelined most of the cast in Avengers to push Tony Stark and Black Widow to the front simply because they both play into his favorite character archetypes. Cap and Thor got turned into strawmen who are pointlessly disagreeable to screate false drama.

I'm not a big fan of Whedon in general; I'm drawn to stories mainly for characters, and he seems to only view characters as snark dispensers. Not sure I'll bother to see any future Avengers stuff if he's at the helm, despite my general love for the individual characters, since he doesn't seem interested in what makes them cool.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The only thing wrong with that trailer is that the musical elements aren't in sync with each other.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"What should we have as our banner for our table?"

"Banner?"

"Yeah, so people know who we are"

"Just print Channel Awesome on some 10x16 and safety pin it up somewhere"

I'm reasonably sure that the safety pinned label is actually the con's marking for the booth, so even less effort than you assumed!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The vast majority of audiences don't have a strong grasp on relative quality, and/or they don't care as long something is there and vaguely entertaining.

See: XKCD, bestseller books, most TV, newspaper comics, fast food, etc. etc. etc.

It's unfortunate if you're got more high-flown tastes and have to sift through junk to find good things, but that's just kind of how it is.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How's the weather on that high horse?

What part of what I said implied any sort of judgment? A thing can be enjoyable without being good quality, and there's nothing wrong with that. The only problem is if you want less common stuff.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

uggghhhhhh I could only make it about halfway through that. I super hate when people use the argument, "Nuh-uh, she's not sexualized! Look, this old art has her topless!" while ignoring literally every other detail, because the only factor in sexualization is whether there's titties showing.

Also wow that "I can't pronounce foreign words tee hee!" schtick is really annoying.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

It's gotten to the point where I like seeing Game Theory videos in my recommends.

Not because they're any good, but because that's space not taken up by youtube recommending me Sargon of Akkad videos.

I just use Video Blocker, since I was tired of seeing thunderf00t and the Amazing Atheist every time I watched something from potholer54. (Last I saw, a blocked user's name will still show in the main page recs, but that's all I can see- there's a blank space where the video would be.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Could somebody explain to me the appeal (or lack thereof) of Joss Whedon? I saw the first Avengers film, and I've caught parts of Firefly and Dollhouse. I thought Avengers was okay, but none of his television work really held my interest. At the same time, there was nothing that made me think his writing was really awful, but in either case, it's just that I haven't had much exposure to it.

I really don't like Whedon, but I know a lot of people who do, and this is what I think the appeal is:

1) Snarky dialog. If you like constant teenager banter, you like Whedon, because he gives you that.

2) Lady characters that beat things up. A lot of the fans came of age in an era when we were still stuck with ladytypes who were only capable of being victims for the guy characters to rescue in mainstream entertainment. There were one or two exceptions, but for the most part, that was it. Maybe you'd get some sparkly magic powers or something. I cannot stress how much of a breath of fresh air it can be to have someone you can trust to have a girl NOT turn into Princess Peach all the time.

3) A lot of people like soap opera stuff, especially when combined with the previous two.

4) Also, as stated previously in the thread, he bends or breaks a lot of storytelling conventions, which can be fun or, in some annoying cases, lets a fan feel smart/superior because they get the reference. There is a reason that TV Tropes grew primarily out of Whedon fans.

I think it's mainly a matter of personal taste and people not caring that much about distinctive character voices. (Also THANK GOD someone else hates that "He's adopted" line. I didn't even like the Thor movie that much, but it rankles me on a really basic writing level, since that betrays his whole character as set up in there just for the sake of snark.)

Also appreciate all the commentary on Whedon's blocking and camera work; I'm only now starting to understand how to look at that in movies, so I never noticed it, but golly does that help explain why all his stuff feels so lifeless to me! (Beyond the complete lack of character distinction.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah I figure any off-topic chatter is just going to be a day or so until there's an actual critic-related thing.

Most of it's criticism, some of it by actual internet critics, so eh. Long as it isn't one of the cans of worms. vOv

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Violet_Sky posted:

So Jim Sterling reviews a homophobic Steam Greenlight game.

It's like I'm back in high school again... Spice Girls on the radio... people still shocked by Mortal Kombat... NetZero is actually free... Huge, baggy pants...

But yeah, why would I bother going to Steam to buy that when I could get the same sort of dumb poo poo on Newgrounds?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

quote:

So I decided to go down a path that most developers are afraid to go down: to piss these people off by making the most overly offensive game possible to these idiots to prove a point.

I liked it better when the 13 year old boy attitude was because they thought they were funny, rather than being self-important.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

Remember when Doug was offering $100 for cover art? He upped it to $300 now. Clearly this has some nefarious meaning that shows how much of an rear end in a top hat he is.

It's still massively undercharging for what he wants, and still basically spec.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'll agree that I don't like what CA did to producers like JO and Lupa, and NC videos can be groan worthy at times, but it just seems like people in the thread have to harp on every negative aspect they find. Like, I get it that they did awful things (or in Doug's case not stop them), but I find that unless it's something truly egregious and terrible it's not really worth talking about. This recent one with the cover art, I honestly don't care. So they want some pretty art and are willing to pay people for it, whatever, it's not like someone is getting hurt or abused because of it. But people here just seem to make it more serious than it needs to be.

Speaking as a professional illustrator, this is part of a general trend of really lovely treatment of artists on the part of people wanting art, and it's REALLY difficult to get paid a living wage for my work when people get used to the idea that, say, $100-300 is a decent price for a high-quality piece on a for-profit enterprise.

So, y'know, at least to me it IS that bad. They're basically hoping they can get some bargain price art by conning people who might not know what their work is worth.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah, a good deal of the price is based on length of time, materials, etc., but I'd say $1000 would be a start for a realistic, high-detail piece. (This is pretty low for such a thing, but a lot closer to reasonable than a few benjamins that aren't guaranteed.)

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nerdhate does not actually mean anything to Hollywood nowadays.

Nerdhate has never meant anything to Hollywood, and I assume everyone in the thread is aware of this.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

Watching some Paelous videos made me realize something I've just visually glossed over: what is up with the backgrounds of a lot of internet critics/talkers/youtubers being filled with action figures and the like? I stopped buying action figures when I was 12 and any geeky books are placed no differently than normal books on my shelfs; is this just a Visual Nerd Cred Cue or something? A whole bunch of 'em do it, and I don't get it.

People often decorate their living spaces with things they like.

Also if you're reviewing geeky poo poo, there's no point in hiding your geeky poo poo.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: Jurassic Park Discussion Thread

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

My problem with the video is that it feels really toothless, as if Yahtzee’s gone out of his way to avoid saying anything that’ll piss of the shitlords too much, hence four minutes of gameplay complaints, capped off with one minute of “both sides are wrong” spiel. Its bad criticism, and bad comedy (almost all of the jokes feel phoned in), and the unfortunate coincidence that its release coincides with a high profile mass shooting highlights how facile the whole thing is.

Did you watch a version with the part where he's making fun of the target audience cut out or what?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I kind of like Yahtzee, albeit more as someone who presents his opinions in an amusing way than as someone with any kind of nuance to said opinions. I don't exactly follow him, but sometimes I like to binge on playlists of funny fast-talk sweary guy.

Then again, I have wretched taste in a lot of my internet entertainment.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm torn on whether to start watching these, because on one hand I'm pretty disgusted with what the internet's done to Chris-chan, but on the other hand, terrible outsider art.

The first couple of reviews were pretty insufferable, but he got better over time. Which is to be expected, given that he started before college.

There's a bunch of the usual internet review pitfalls (video clip references, crossover plots, "look I am so upset I am drinking a lot") but the weirdass content stands on its own well, and DStecks gets pretty good at analysis and explaining what the gently caress. It starts getting pretty good around Bad Review 5.

I really wish that CWC had been left to just keep doing that weird little comic; she's a bizarre individual, but too many people just dedicated their time to harassing her, which isn't really as fun as watching someone make weird fantasies rewriting their life because they can't understand why events happened.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

Before that dreaded 3 letter acronym shown they were already making GBS threads on disability stuff and posturing their reports on the "monthly tugboat" as this "your taxes are spent on welfare to support people like this" sorta thing. They were fuuuucked up long before.

Honestly, when your raison d'etre is using elaborate ruses to upset a guy with brain problems, you're starting from fuckedupville.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Annointed posted:

I first found him a little arrogant but once I got past the facade I thoroughly enjoyed listening to his talking points.

It started out grating to me, but over time it's become kind of lovable, possibly because he also 1) makes fun of himself and 2) will admit when he's been wrong and/or dumb and change opinions. I like the Jimquisition the most, mainly because I tend to prefer heavily scripted and edited stuff over the extemporaneous, but pretty much everything on his channel is fun.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I swear, every time I see your avatar, it looks more purple than blue.

I thought it was white and gold :v:

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Watched the new Todd and oh Jesus I am increasingly glad I don't listen much to top 40. I hated that song when it was Shania Twain, but yeah, Todd nails it on why it's SO MUCH WORSE coming from Trainor. She reminds me of all the sassy suburban white ladies I just want to shake and yell at.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I'm a little sad to hear Lindsay and Todd broke up, though I'm not really sure why. I'm glad they're still friends at least. They seem like cool people outside their reviewsonas.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

I think the funniest thing about this TGWTG stuff is I still don't understand at all why anyone would watch TGWTG, but there are always people who say they like it.

Some people think a screechy manchild flailing around is funny. See: just about every Let's Player on youtube.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

That's kind of how these things work where a bunch of people see the Angry Video Game Nerd and Nostalgia Critic getting a lot of views/making money and decide "Hey if I just copy this with a little spin I'll make a ton of money and become famous". And it works for a little bit until audiences get bored of the saturation of the same stuff so in order to survive, some change the format to be something new. At least that's my take.

I tend to assume it's less a cynical money grab and more just a bunch of people liking the format, since a lot of reviewers start out as fans of the shows and it looks fun from the audience side of things (and, honestly, most creators of any kind of content just aren't inclined toward originality). Plus a lot of the format works decently well as a basic template, though I'm increasingly dismayed at the presence of skits in reviews, particularly ones with continuity. If you want to make a goofy show, make a side project.

The kind of "character reviewer" thing is an interesting development. I don't know whether it's ultimately a good or bad thing, though I like it best when it's something that spices up an otherwise fairly straightforward review, without really getting in the way of things. A few throwaway gags and lines here and there, rather than costumes and props and silly fight scenes.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Kunster posted:

Ok, a good while ago, someone here posted a neat video about radio personalities -> newscasters and how it sort of related to internet critic folk nowadays. Who posted it? I recall vaguely being from someone who participated on the mental illness month thing.

You mean this thing Cheapskate did?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

The smell factor is a reason why I've never gone to a con (that and the horror stories of places being too crowded). I'll never understand why people can't take 10 seconds to put on deodorant. It's literally the easiest thing you can do in the morning when you wake up.

The more charitable reason: They probably have untreated depression (which they're medicating with pop culture entertainment), to the point that basic hygiene seems like a monumental task.

The less charitable reason: The stank is beyond the powers of any deodorant. It has gained sentience, and will soon take over the shambling meatsack that is its host.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

What kind of person do you have to be to think of your childhood as something that must be continually sustained in a sad half-life by endlessly regurgitating and recycling the superficial brands that were popular at the time.

Like, I liked Crash Bandicoot as a kid. But I don't mind that they aren't really making them today, and that different kinds of games are popular, because my fond memories are not contingent on something I liked back then being continually popular. If someone made a gritty reboot of Crash Bandicoot directed by Michael Bay, I'd just kind of laugh it off and wonder how much of a mess it was going to be, then go on with my day.

The kind of person who has nothing else in their life, whether by sheer fixation or lack of going the gently caress outside once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

If you want to read a good book about a videogame, look up that book about Wisdom Tree, the company that made all those Bible games. That's a genuinely interesting story.

Do you have a title or author or anything for this, because Google is not helping with the information I have right now.

• Locked thread