Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hello, Fellow Daoists. It looks like this is the only thread on SA where people are talking about ISSTH, but Book 1 was good poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Everyone says the first book is slow and boring, and I guess thats true a little bit, but I appreciate it giving me a chance to understand the conventions of xianxia with the slow startup.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Can anyone tell me what numbers are important in Confucian and Daoist teachings? I know 9 and 108 are and both have shown up in ISSTH so far.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh, cool, I finally found it, the worst LN premise.

Ooh, slave harem has its own tag

http://www.novelupdates.com/stag/slave-harem/

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Finally started Book 5, and its probably the strongest opening to any of them. Loving this

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ISSTH Book 5 Wow, Meng Haos first severing was awful. All the other severings mentioned so far had an element of loss or sacrifice but it turns out you dont need to sacrifice anything when you sever, just sever things that do not conform with your Dao. So why isnt everyone walking a Dao where they can cleave away bullshit they hate instead of like, murdering all thier children

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Oh no. Im current with ISSTH.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I really dont know where to post this, but after finishing up ISSTH and having loved ROTK I went back to the west and started reading Le Morte d'Arthur. I think I tend to subconsciously think that people from ages past were a little more reserved and dignified but this line is another reminder that no matter where you are in history, people have pretty much always fundamentally been the same:

"and he slew a great giant named Galapas, which was a man of a huge quantity
and height, he shorted him and smote off both his legs by
the knees, saying, Now art thou better of a size to deal with
than thou were, and after smote off his head. "

Even in the 1400s people wanted thier king to deliver Schwarzenegger style quips right after wrecking someone.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

lol meng hao is so petty

“Do you have a younger sister?” Meng Hao asked through clenched teeth.

Sun Hai was momentarily struck dumb. From the feeling he got at this moment, Meng Hao seemed to be on the verge of flying into a rage.

“Uh… yeah, yeah I have a younger sister, she—”

“Who’s more of a bitch, you or your sister!” Meng Hao interrupted loudly.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Meng Hao just got melted down to his eyeballs

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Lyon posted:

I hope this arc is quick, Algid gave us the gist of it already (now now that post makes sense) and I just want him to finish ripping off the Fang clan. There is no way he doesn't make the 6th patriarch/his descendants pay big time after all of this. Seems like Meng Hao will find the Dao of the first patriach, assimilate his Dao fruits, and open all 100 meridians then lay the smack down on everyone. I'm now most excited for (in the relatively short term) more wacky Patriarch Reliance shenanigans.

Meng Hao has karma magic, and all those treasures and techniques are just waiting for 'thier destined owner', so Im really hoping Meng Hao completely loots the entire holy land.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Lord of Hats posted:

I understand the restrictions he was working with, but you really think Feng Xiushan would have put in the research to realize that spending a bunch of money to get Meng Hao into Magical Treasure Land and hoping that he would die there is a terrible, terrible idea.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Really, ISSTH is quite predictable. It's a fun ride but I got tired of it and its ilk.

I knew what I was in for with ISSTH back in book one when Meng Hao pulled out the copy of the wooden sword and yelled at Wang Tengfei about "How could I have stolen your once in a lifetime treasure when I have TWO of them!!!" Everything is set up in an obvious way, but its still manages to be satisfying to read.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

jwang posted:

...Why, why do people with functioning brains do this? I think the translating community as a whole needs to step away from the male protagonist stories and cleanse themselves with female protagonist ones. The only objectionable things I can find for those is that the Chinese female protagonist stories have too many about female femme fatales being reborn. I think it's because it's guys writing strong female characters, and Chinese guys for the most part don't understand what a strong female is.

I agree, the degenerate Chinese should no longer attempt to write stories without making sure what theyre writing is palatable to American tastes.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Serious Frolicking posted:

imo, issth, disciple, and kumoko are the best translated works available right now. disciple and issth do drag on at times, but their high points make up for that.

Whats IMO?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Whoops, Im a dummy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

"There was another story that the first generation Patriarch didn’t actually die, that he had lived a fifth life, in which he disappeared to live a carefree existence."

I hope this is a clue to Lord Fifths true identity.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Er Gen just thinks things getting screwed up the rear end is the funniest concept ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The shocking intensity of the power caused countless layers of clouds to suddenly spring out around Meng Hao. They spread out, causing a thick fog to fill the entire area.

This fog, was actually made of clouds!

• Locked thread