Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Man, when I hit the University arc in Mushoku Tensei I felt like throwing my monitor through a window. It wasn't spectacular until then, but the incredibly retarded Fitts-senpai bullshit that drags out for a year after it is blatantly obvious who Fitts is a few sentences into the arc just annoyed me to no end. I'm on volume 18 and the fact that the MC still constantly goes "Well, everyone else is better than me" is so incredibly dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Started reading Konjiki no Wordmaster and while the premise is the same as all the other light novels coming out these days(Well, except the MC deciding to go gently caress around instead of saving the world from the evil demon people), the lack of creepiness astounds me. Only 26 chapters translated so far, but there's pretty much been zero creep factor from the MC or anyone else. It's weirdly terrifying and I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Good lord the quality of the LN translations vary widely. Some are excellent and some look to be pure machine translation.

quote:

Naofumi: "Even though the level reset was unexpected, was a stretcher not necessary?"
Sadina: "Such frail making was not carried out!"
Fohl: "My body feels pretty heavy since I can't move."
Naofumi: "It was like you."

Ah, yes, the frail making.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Knights and Magic is great, but this sentence ending shows up just a tad too often.

quote:

because of his incredible processing ability and a background in software engineering

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
All the stuff currently being translated on wuxiaworld is pretty good. ISSTH, BTTH, MGA and ATG are all great . Coiling Dragon is a bit more eh, but after 20 volumes, I'm suffering from a severe sunk cost compulsion to read it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well, I have to disagree about MGA. The protagonist is a vicious sociopath and a rapist.

Yes. Yes, he is.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Well, that's another lovely wuxia wn dropped. Long Live Summons had terrible writing, the story and setting were all over the place, and the protagonist was an arrogant little poo poo. Still, for killing time I've read worse things and will continue to read worse things. But abusing a dog? There was just a chapter dedicated to this rear end in a top hat beating up a dog that never harmed him in any way. I can't handle that crap.

It wasn't offensively bad until he suddenly decided to treat anyone not an attractive female as NPCs at best, with no indications that he was actually in a game. And then it just went further and further downhill from there. I stopped reading it ~10 or so chapters ago, glad I dropped it when I did.

Also, read the latest ISSTH for better dog reading.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Taboo broke Kumo-chan.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
It was going so well as a happy go lucky slime story and then it sort of went off the rails, shot off the cliff and slammed into the abyss in very short order.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

DeafAsianQT posted:

I'm surprised there isn't more talk and translations of legendary moonlight sculptor, isn't it really popular?

It is pretty awful reading, even among the poo poo we consume in here. Doesn't help that the translation quality went from good to unreadable to worse half way through what is currently translated. It's an MMO story where the only motivation(and most of the character) of the MC is greed. Which might be interesting if greed in an asian MMO wouldn't mean absurd amounts of grinding. Most of the time it perfectly recreates the mindless tedium of grinding in early asian MMOs, so it channels its roots pretty well. At least it is better than Ark, which is the same story, just dumber and worse.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
poo poo, if you want to read about nerds living the game, Quan Zhi Gao Shou is probably your best bet. Instead of this full dive true VRMMO "oh noes, the company can't control the game" drama that makes no sense, have a story about the terrible world of pro World of Warcraft players(they're not playing actual WoW, but something like it).

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Has anybody checked out Play to Live? It's written by a Russian, and professionally translated.

I started reading this and 10 pages in I was faced with this unsettling feeling of wrongness. 10 pages later I finally realized what it was. No typos. No tense errors. I could just read, without having to parse everything several times. How strange

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
ShieldBro is awful. The MC starts as a betrayed person relying on magically enforced slavery to keep relationships going. And then he never gets over it and all his companions stay slaves or people he has enough leverage over that they might as well be. Add that the ending is a complete wet fart of epic proportions even when compared to other works in the genre and you have something truly special.

Mushoku Tensei is somehow worse. I can't put my finger on exactly which of its many faults grates the most, but I have not finished reading the entire thing and I hopefully never will.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Shukaro posted:

I've been reading that russian trapped-in-an-mmo story Play To Live and it's actually pretty good, so maybe read that instead.

Yepp. I've been reading it too and it's not awful.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

ConanThe3rd posted:

I sort of want to read that if only to find out why she thought Eating an Energy Field constituted a good idea.

Does wonders for the hair.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Kuang Shen is weird. It doesn't read anything like his other works and is much more similar to other Xianxia works, with the ruthless protagonist, escalator power creep and oodles of women throwing themselves at the glory that is the main character.

Douluo Dalu is a lot better. While the MC is the equivalent of a DnD 3.5 optimized monstrosity with templates and classes coming out of every orifice, it's fun to read, the characters are great and there's tension.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The next volume of OSO should be out soonish according to the TL. Can't wait, it's such a chill read.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So I read I Shall Seal The Heavens and the spider story. Those were quite enjoyable reading, though I didn't really like the recent sexual peril plot in ISSTH. Fortunately, it was quite short. But otherwise ISSTH's been quite a blast. Anyone else have stories of similar quality to recommend? I also rather enjoyed OSO.

Ze Tian Ji is awesome. It's a very atypical Chinese cultivation story, even more so than ISSTH. The main character still hasn't successfully cultivated.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Fleve posted:

This is delightful. There's a strange quality to Ze Tian Ji that reminds me of other works I've read but always had difficulty describing. Soothing might be a good start though. Like painted in faded water colors. In a way this feels more daoist than pretty much every other xianxia I've read.

The humor and emphasis on manners somehow reminds me of the novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. The conversations consisting of very short sentences, like at the end of the prologue and a few times later on, are just so simple, charming, but powerful.

King Shura has the same sort of feel, so if you haven't checked it out yet, you should.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Tales of demons and gods is a mostly generic reincarnation story, with the mc reincarnating as himself in the past. However, it has the most remarkable twist. Basically, the mc keeps bribing people until they worship him. It isn't phrased as such, but that is absolutely what it is. Plus, he woos his lost love but she is now 13 years old and he is a creepy old man in a child's body. His suave technique consists of bribing her and hinting that he has seen her naked. It is unintentionally hilarious. It also uses the old crappy wuxia webnovel technique of having everyone who opposes the mc in any way being a doublehitler.

Yepp. And instead of warning people about bad poo poo that'll happen, the guy just wanders around making absurd amounts of money and powering up himself and his crew.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Oh my god, Sevens is amazing. It's your typical unassertive Japanese protagonist in fantasy land with 7 of his ancestors constantly ragging on him. Where I'd normally cringe at the protag being a little bitch, the ancestors do it for me. It is wonderful.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Man, Only Sense Online is such a chill read. No drama or forced development between characters, just people playing a cool game.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

The Lord of Hats posted:

I think we should all take a moment to congratulate Kumoko on her recent acquisition of hands and vocal cords. It's a big step forward for her!

Classic human supremacist thinking all up ins. Trading 6 eyes for 2 limbs seems a poor trade.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
~~Spider drunk, spider drunk, forgets whatever a spider drunk does~~

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

dipple posted:

The entire thread has been nerd goon wish fulfillment self inserts. I'm the only person out of a billion that understands any mechanics in this mmo, I reincarnated and woops im a badass, People treated me like crap till I found a macguffin that let me fight an endless stream of arrogant gokuhitlers, etc. etc.

Yeah, complaining about self-insert power trips in the Web/light novel thread is pretty hilarious.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The last few chapters of I shall seal the Heavens have been amazing, good lord. Recommended reading for everyone.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Desuwa posted:

Also what the gently caress happened to Sue? I mean I know she's didn't reincarnate but Shun just completely forgot about his sister and hasn't even mentioned her once.

She's still taggging along with mind control rapist guy.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The best part about ISSTH is that Meng Hao is a person, not a caricature, unlike say Chu Feng from MGA who is a schizophrenic psychopath at best. He just does things. Doesn't do the same thing every time. Treats people differently based on how he likes them. He's inconsistent in a very human way, unlike most Xianxia protagonists who are inhuman in a very consistent way. It's also why I like Ze Tian Ji and King Shura so much, because it's not all about "Find doohickey, get stronk, murder bad".

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I was looking for something new to read on Novelupdates when I clicked a link for Unlimited Fafnir. The blurb for it is amazing.

quote:

With the sudden appearance of the monsters that came to be called dragons, the world had completely changed. Before long, supernatural girls with the power of the dragons, called “D”, were born within the human race. The secret existence of the only male “D”, the boy Mononobe Yuu, was forcefully thrown into the school where the girls of “D” gathered – Midgard, where he saw the naked body of one of the students, Iris.

I sort of want to read it solely to find out if there are a bunch of "D" quotes to misconstrue horribly.

BlitzBlast posted:

The translation of volume 6 of OSO is done.

OSO keeps being an amazingly chill read.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I'm reading retarded korean garbage, the legendary moonlight sculptor. It's literally about poopsocking in an mmo. I love it

You should read Ark. It's the same thing, but even more Gary Stu. Or Quan Zhi Gao Shou, which is literally about people playing a WoW-like at the pro level. Keyboards and everything, no VR here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

rizzen posted:

Quan Zhi Gao Shou == The King's Avatar? If so, it's actually been pretty entertaining for me. It's certainly a different take on the whole gaming thing.

Yepp. I like it a lot it more than most of the "I am trapped in a game/need to play a game for a living/transported to a game-like world" drek out there, but it is weird to realize I'm enjoying reading about some other guy poop socking in 'generic fantasy MMO'. It helps that it has the only remotely plausible reason for why the MC is clowning everyone at MMOs though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Arkeus posted:

ISSTH... I haven't kept up to date with it in fact because I felt there was an annoying lack of characterisation. I'm guessing it got a lot better, but from the time he left the sec (Chapter 30 or so?) to chapter 120 he was basically alone 99% of the time and it never felt like it was going somewhere.

Oh boy have you been missing out. It's most definitely going places.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

blastron posted:

Yo I'm actually starting to build up enough steam with retranslating Kumoko that I might legit work on this librarian thing as well. I'll take a look this weekend to see if the first few chapters are within my meager abilities.

Whoop. Best of luck.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
The last few chapters of Tales of Demons and Gods have been something special allright. Good lord. Even in the creepy world of creeper LN protagonists, this is spectacular.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Blastron is truly the hero animus don't deserve. Banzai.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I stopped reading Lu Bu when the translator dropped it and an MTLer took over, but then picked it back up when I realized the drop in quality wasn't very significant. Some guy is going over, editing the MTL chapters, but is quite a few chapters behind.

Edit: Also, OSO v7 is being translated now :swoon:

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 26, 2015

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
I'd been holding off on reading When I was going out from my house to stop being a Hiki-NEET after 10 years, I was transported to another world because I was expecting awkward loli scenes, but someone told me it had none, so I read it. It is legit hilarious. A shutin nerd ends up in a fantasy world, with the twist that his house and dog also come with him, along with internet and electricity. He then posts the best E/N thread ever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

jwang posted:

Double post, but I think I found something interesting on Novel Updates.

A Realist's Kingdom Reform Chronicles is interesting in that it's a hero summoning story, but the hero doesn't get a combat boost. Instead, he becomes the ultimate administrator, and as a result creates a great empire. Definitely something different, and is very enjoyable so far.

The ideal sponger life is sort if similar, in that the MC isn't an overpowered turd and ends up doing kindomy stuff, as a Prince Consort.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Oh my god, I just started reading Kung Fu and it is amazing. A modern wuxia story with the best old man ever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh my god, I just started reading Kung Fu and it is amazing. A modern wuxia story with the best old man ever.

Okay, fair warning, the ending is a bit of a fart. Supposedly it's book 5 in a series, but everything up until the ending stands well on its own.

Jesus gently caress what a downer ending. What the christ

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
Of IETs works that are translated in decent numbers, Desolate Era and Swallowed Star both have good translations and are easy reads. It's still rampant power fantasy though, but considering you read through Coiling Dragon, I doubt that's a problem. Douluo Dalu is also pretty good and in a similar vein to IETs works, with a good translation. The rest of IETs works don't have translations that are far along, so I can't really comment on them.

The Great Ruler I also like, mainly because the MC is somewhat self-aware in the vein of ISSTH, though it's not quite as good.

There's a bunch more reads, but these are the Xianxia stories that I feel have both good translations and comparatively decent content.

• Locked thread