Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I really like how Kumo Desu Ga has been doing a lot of flirting with really lovely genre conventions and then completely turning them on their head. There are a lot of pretty overt references to other, much worse reincarnation novels that it refuses to fall into the same pitfalls as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

No, you're definitely right, that arc definitely did do a lot bring Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken towards "Hmm, this is actually bad." And with how a few things went with the arc after that, I would actively advise people not to read it, :nms: unless you're okay with major good guy characters torture raping a lady for information in which case fuckin go for it i guess

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

At least it's still better than the other Web novel series about a disillusioned 30-something worker dying and reincarnating as an overpowered slime monster, Slime Tensei Monogatari, which I believe is by the author of re:monster

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

They decided that whatever owned that nest was too much for them to deal with in combat and might have teleport magic, so they were going to run away, but they decided to burn it down first. Sure she could have done it without any deaths but she doesn't really have any motivation to do that, not when the alternative is tons of experience. If someone is going to burn down your home and all your food stockpiles I'm not going to get too mad if you kill them, especially if you're not torturing them like so many LNs like to do.

why would she torture them? isn't that taking extra time to do something that isn't gaining her experience?

Plus, given that she knows the nature of the world thanks to having capped out Taboo, I'm wondering if she just doesn't even see them as being real. I'm interested to see how she reacts when she inevitably meets another person with n%I=W.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Algid posted:

Pretty sure they are real and that isn't what taboo is about.

Just going by what Sensei said, that this world was like a game. It doesn't really matter the extent to which that's true, as the humans in the world obviously seem sapient enough, but Kumoko has the same information as Sensei and hasn't really dealt with humans' she still seemed to just think of the invading party as more food, even though they were human. Presuming that she's the demon lord from the side chapters, the future version of her still doesn't really seem to care about the wellbeing of either humans or demons. So, I'm curious what would happen if she encountered someone she used to know.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

Feels like I'll need some popcorn for ch150 reactions.

well, if they continue at the "three chapters a day" rate, we'll be seeing that tomorrow, so...!

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

I really want Kumoko to knock sensei and Shun down a peg. They're far too confident for things with only four limbs.

Jeez, and only two eyes? How does something even survive in this world while only being able to use two evil eyes at once?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

macfam posted:

I, the Demon King, have become a noble girl villainess? Hah, what a joke

Immediately googles this. Good. Good, this is translated. Good

Edit: actually, it was aggressively boring.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 5, 2015

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Alright, I have to admit I've become kind of lost about what's what for Kumo right now, so I'm just going to type out my understanding in hopes that I can get corrected.
Machine translation rendered today's chapters /extra/ incomprehensible, but... I think so?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Largepotato posted:

Kumo-chan only cooks with the highest quality ingredients. :3:

Every time I'm worried Kumo's story is going to make a turn towards the worse, it comes back to prove me wrong. Even the side stories, which had been kiiiinda sketchy for awhile, had a satisfying end in their most recent arc and now I'm endlessly curious as to what happens next.

Kumo is really good

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

In unsurprising news, Kumoko is the meanest drunk. :(

upcoming chapters posted:

Oni 5 The trampled one
Blood 16 Along the way
Blood 17 The Demon King of money
Blood 18 Abnormal Condition 「Drunkard」
211 Vampire training plan

I cannot wait

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 14, 2015

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Looks like the first real chapter of kumo desu ga manga is out and translated and full of extremely good spider faces and poses.

http://bato.to/reader#79d9eb5c29cbb9d3

(Chapter 0, if you missed it: http://bato.to/reader#5c91dc9c8713ab0a)

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

well, it was a good trip, but it finally happened. Kumo is bad now.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Dartonus posted:

Hell, only thing I'd think would be a little weird is her using a parasitic brain spider to keep Yuugo/Natsume in line and stop him from getting out of hand with Lust, and even then it didn't seem that awful.

Unless Adelheid's talking about something in the untranslated recent chapters.

No, I'm talking about that specifically. Like, it hasn't sunk to the level of a lot of other things, but it's definitely in "I don't really know how I feel about this right now" territory.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

News flash, the former spider who likes to eat people does not value human life in general.

Okay but this is the first time her internal monologue mentioned the little sister character having an "erotic voice"

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Largepotato posted:

What's this new translation I see on Novel Updates.

I take back all the bad I've said about Web novels. They're actually perfect

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Started reading I Shall Seal the Heavens finally, maybe a quarter to a third through translation

Shoulda called it I Shall Steal the Heavens

'cause this fucker is a ridiculous kleptomaniac

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I just finished ISSTH book 3 and I'm hosed up

Edit: nothing in the past 20 chapters is okay. please go back to having a fulfilling life, fang mu

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 5, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

LostRook posted:

He needs more gym badges so it will obey him.

What do you think totems are

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

How tall is Meng Hao now? Seems like he is just constantly getting taller with every powerup.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

So what's the difference between Meng Hao's Eternal cultivation base as compared to his Perfect cultivation base, besides just 'it is better'? Am I right in understanding that to reach Dao Fruit, you have to have a Perfect base and then sever it, and to go from Dao Fruit to Eternal requires for you to have died (except through whatever means don't actually die)?

Somebody in the comments on that chapter explained it pretty well.

quote:

Fseeker

May 30, 2016 at 11:14 am
Thanks for the chapter.

This is a though one to digests, and this is my take on the situation:
Cultivation (immortal) is pretty much the same as cultivation (farming).
You start by planting a seed (start gathering qi) and let it grow until it form a basic plant (foundation). Then as the plant grows and strengthens (core formation) into a tree you have to further nurture it (nascent soul) and yet you also have to trim it (spirit sever) so it reaches its apex.
At this point the tree is ready to bear a fruit, and this fruit would contain all the experience of this journey.

However Meng Hao’s case is special.
All his journey of perfection is also, in a way, imperfect. This imperfection comes just from the fact that he thinks perfection is the end point, which makes him unable to see the fruit that his tree bore, leaving him in despair when the tree is stolen by the 10th Wang patriarch.
When he realizes that this imperfection the path becomes clear. As he plants the new fruit and the severs the thoughts regarding the stolen tree, a new and sturdier tree grows (lets call it an eternal tree).

Essentially, the eternal stratum is like the ability to see the cycle of life within yourself, death included, and regenerate by realizing the life of the Dao Fruit which grows into another tree to once again bears fruit.

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 1, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

ISSTH has seriously been going downhill tho, it's just been kinda boring lately

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I'm in awe at the latest Kumodesu. What a loving perfect series

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

blastron posted:

*cough cough* there's this really cool story called "Ascendance of a Bookworm" that some goon is translating and i think it's pretty good, albeit kinda slow, so check it out and maybe add it to the OP

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ascendance-of-a-bookworm/

idk that's being translated by the same person as this, i'm not sure i can trust it

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

darkgray posted:

Have you read all the one-shots?

I liked these two, at least:
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/mimizuku-to-yoru-no-ou/
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/ame-no-hi-no-iris/

Can't vouch for the translation, mind.

This was quite awhile ago, but I just got around to reading Mimizuku and the King of Night, and I liked it quite a bit. Translation was not perfect, but it's like... Although I did not completely like the writing, I did like the story. Thanks for the recommendation.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

it's, not a title, frolocking was just saying "in my opinion."

joke answer: "I'm Mad Online"

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

kumoko was finally catching up to the side stories, but the latest chapter was the beginning of another side story.

Hey, at least this sidestory is happening concurrent with the main story's events. The chapters for a bit after this are just one-offs detailing the view of various characters, so it's not too different from what we've been having even when the view has mostly been Shiraori, Wrath, or Sophia. And at least the story isn't stalling out; these have been being released with two chapters a day in the raws, it's just that the translator hasn't been getting to them as fast as they're being produced.

vvv Yeah, I wanna read about that too, but at least we're closer to it than we've ever been

Adelheid fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 21, 2016

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

was patience one of the ruler skills kumoko used to have?

Yeah, it's the "survive with 1 HP and take overflow damage as MP damage" skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Desuwa posted:

e: Also I'm honestly not a massive fan of Worm. I'll finish it at some point but it wasn't hooking me, partly because there is no downtime. Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I were reading it in small chunks as it was coming out.

worm is pretty good for the first two thirds but the author clearly didn't know what they actually wanted to do with the story after that and then the final chapter manages to retroactively destroy all my good will for the series with how bad it was

granted, i also haven't liked issth in months

• Locked thread