Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Problem description: I'm having a weird issue with my new TV. I have a laptop with HDMI out that I connect to it, however it only works if I turn on the TV before turning on the laptop. If the laptop is already on, or I disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable, or connect it to a different port on the TV, the video signal is never detected.

How can I fix this? I'd like to leave the laptop on and running as a network share but if I turn the TV off then back on it loses the HDMI signal. I've found plenty on Google about the HDMI 'handshake' being dependent on the order devices are turned on, but nothing about a solution. It's annoying to have to restart the laptop every time I turn the TV on

Attempted fixes: Reinstalling graphics drivers, setting the TV as the primary and only display

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 7 64 bit

System specs: Laptop: Asus x401A TV: Hitachi 42HYT42U

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Have you tried Fn+F8?

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

nexus6 posted:

Problem description: I'm having a weird issue with my new TV. I have a laptop with HDMI out that I connect to it, however it only works if I turn on the TV before turning on the laptop. If the laptop is already on, or I disconnect/reconnect the HDMI cable, or connect it to a different port on the TV, the video signal is never detected.

This is pretty standard behavior for a laptop. Usually you either need to use the hotkey (FN + F8 as Flipperwaldt stated or some variant) or the graphics card app icon in the system tray to change outputs.

Try looking at page 47 in your owner's manual - it's got an entry there for:

Notebook PC User Manual47 LCD/Monitor Icons (f8): Toggles between the Notebook PC’s LCD display and an external monitor in this series: LCD Only -> CRT Only (External Monitor) -> LCD + CRT Clone -> LCD + CRT Extend. (This function does not work in 256 Colors, select High Color in Display Property Settings.) NOTE: Must connect an external monitor “before” booting up

It states that you must connect the external monitor "before" booting up - so I guess it's working as intended.

• Locked thread