Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Fire Emblem If? More like Fire Emblem If this game is good I'll be pretty dang surprised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

01011001 posted:

11 and 12 had the skip-turns and skip-animations things too

I'm sorry, the first Fire Emblem game that didn't play like complete poo poo in every conceivable way/was released to the US.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

wasn't fe:a like || this close to not even being released in the west because they thought it wouldn't sell

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

11 came out on ds i thought but not 12. bye.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fire embel: working designs still out of business

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

wasn't fe:a like || this close to not even being released in the west because they thought it wouldn't sell

let me call up my uncle who is the head of intelligent systems to find out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bobnumerotres posted:

They thought it wouldn't sell in Japan either which is why they threw like 20 different mechanics into it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

sharrrk posted:

nice. if we get another avatar character i'll probably have it be a girl tho so that might not be an option for me.

what if it is :mrgw:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Stop using the word "dastard" in Fire Emblem games imo

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

DoubleDonut posted:

why

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

what if it is :mrgw:

then i will be happy about nintendo being more inclusive

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

i like it. i think its funny

Dec 26, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

I'm sorry, the first Fire Emblem game that didn't play like complete poo poo in every conceivable way/was released to the US.

11 played alright (and was us-released) it was just way too faithful a port of the original storywise and the part where you hda to let dudes die to get extra chapters was retarded. also i didnt like what it and 12 did with class changing. 12 was solid in most respects but had way too high growth rates without increased caps and they didnt bring it to the us

i liked the non-gameplay parts of awakening, so if those are good then thats good, but the gameplay wasnt good because of pair up and being able to grind experience and get good items easily is a serious drag considering how simple fire emblem gameplay is and the maps that werent direct ports of old games' maps mostly sucked. hopefully they fix the first and the last (theres no way theyre getting rid of the world map thing)

Dec 26, 2012

also high growth rates but thats been in the series for a bunch of games now and people like seeing numbers go up more than not so thats a lost cause

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I have no idea what they were thinking with FE:A's wonky rear end difficulty.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I just want Second Seals or whatever the equivalent item would be to be really cheap so I can reclass everybody into a paladin and make a raging army of horse death again

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i just started playing fire emblem awakening and while it's not as brutal as other strategy games i played it is well presented, streamlined and interesting. i can see what people mean when they talk about how certain characters become invincible, and i'm trying to avoid taking them along but sometimes i do because i want to gently caress poo poo up and it feels good to do so.

A Spider Covets posted:

i want to ride a pegasus. i dont even like horses.

riding on a horse is kind of scary they look pretty tame far off but when you get on top of one you really realize that you are six feet off the ground on top of like a ton of muscle and bone with a mind of its own and it's not even a very good mind and it's like one twitch away from turning you into a crippled invalid. i think that feeling would be magnified if it were a pegasus.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i just started playing fire emblem awakening and while it's not as brutal as other strategy games i played it is well presented, streamlined and interesting. i can see what people mean when they talk about how certain characters become invincible, and i'm trying to avoid taking them along but sometimes i do because i want to gently caress poo poo up and it feels good to do so.

riding on a horse is kind of scary they look pretty tame far off but when you get on top of one you really realize that you are six feet off the ground on top of like a ton of muscle and bone with a mind of its own and it's not even a very good mind and it's like one twitch away from turning you into a crippled invalid. i think that feeling would be magnified if it were a pegasus.

:yikes:

keep yer feet on the ground!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

DoubleDonut posted:

this but opposite

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I wonder if having an incentive to attack might make the game more interesting. Like maybe the attacker gets a damage bonus or something since there's no reason not to just always defend in FE most of the time, especially in awakening where there no incentive to finish maps quickly really. Hmmmm... that mechanic sounds a lot like the one in Advance Wars....

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Austrian mook posted:

I wonder if having an incentive to attack might make the game more interesting. Like maybe the attacker gets a damage bonus or something since there's no reason not to just always defend in FE most of the time, especially in awakening where there no incentive to finish maps quickly really. Hmmmm... that mechanic sounds a lot like the one in Advance Wars....

i just use my dudes who can get kills to get kills, then move a line of defensive dudes forward

it doesn't really work if you get a god tier swordsman or something though because who needs to strategize with one

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

like when i played ff tactics the first time through, i was really struggling in certain fights, but partway through the late game they give you that swordsman in the obi wan cloak who basically kills anyone he targets and at first that was cool, but eventually i realized i had to stop using him because i was no longer feeling that tension that made the rest of the game so good. awakening gives you that character in the first fight, so i benched him for a while. then it gave me another character like that. then another, so i just gave in and said okay fire emblem.

i'm too far into the game to start over but i would definitely like to play the game through again at a higher difficulty. i think i might turn classic mode off too, because i lost a couple guys and i wanna see what their dialogue would have been if they didn't die.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

i just use my dudes who can get kills to get kills, then move a line of defensive dudes forward

it doesn't really work if you get a god tier swordsman or something though because who needs to strategize with one

I just mean there's rarely an incentive to go and make the first move, most of the time you just move your dude into the range of all the enemies and watch them get cut down. Especially in Awakening's case where you can have 2 units on 1 tile space.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I actually don't remember most of the later half of the game because it was just me throwing my units together and moving them up the map with 0 strategy or any danger of defeat. I had to force myself to use other characters since Chrom and Robin could just easily solo the entire game.

Dec 26, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

the incentive to attack is generally adding implicit or explicit map objectives that incentivize extending as opposed to moving your unit blob from place to place, or having enemies that can reasonably chip away at your units if you just let them get in the first hit always, or both

also having limited long-range healing

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i like Bolting/Eclipse because they're a good incentive to press the attack

having a npc you have to rescue is also good incentive

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

01011001 posted:

the incentive to attack is generally adding implicit or explicit map objectives that incentivize extending as opposed to moving your unit blob from place to place, or having enemies that can reasonably chip away at your units if you just let them get in the first hit always, or both

also having limited long-range healing

sadly there were almost none of these in Awakening

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

the only ones i can really think of is the classic "kill the thief before he steals the treasure" and the desert chapter with the appearing and disappearing villages

Dec 26, 2012

villages/chests matter more if you cant just hit up the world map and buy whatever good poo poo you want

Doctor Goat posted:

i like Bolting/Eclipse because they're a good incentive to press the attack

having a npc you have to rescue is also good incentive

ballistas are cool for that because if you kill the unit using it fast enough you get a few shots of it for your own use. hell yeah

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

darealkooky posted:

I guess nintendo realized they didn't pander to japanese players quite enough w/ awakening, gotta throw in a few pagodas and a meido to correct this mistake

Awakening wasntBAD, I mean I liked a lot of things about it but i think the worst part is how badly designed the maps were

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah the gameplay was probably the worst in FE other than like dark/shadow dragon's.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

maps where you have to arrive somewhere before a character you cn recruit gets murdered are the loving worst though

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

maps where you have to arrive somewhere before a character you cn recruit gets murdered are the loving worst though

that one in fire emblem 7 with Jaffar was the worst.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah i dont like those ones because it's unreliable as to how quickly it happens what with hits/crits/suicidal allied ai and it tends to get weird with difficulty shifts. the ones where you have to reach a village to recruit someone are good though

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

awakening also made you hurry by having reinforcements show up behind you, which sucks

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Awakening atleast had aggressive AI so it wasn't just you slowly advancing to draw out enemies on maps without some objective shoved off to the side.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
i'm not sure I can go back to fire emblem games that don't give me a party of cloven-hooved monsters, sorry FE:WT.

Dec 26, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

awakening also made you hurry by having reinforcements show up behind you, which sucks

it barely matters in awakening where reinforcements show up from

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

01011001 posted:

it barely matters in awakening where reinforcements show up from

bs

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
it only matters on maps where you get a new unit and usually you can just make the new unit pair up with Deathfucker Hellbeast and be literally invincible

if paired up units could cast spells and still have the melee person in front it'd be the worst combat system in the series

fe11/fe1 still have the worst everything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

01011001 posted:

i liked the non-gameplay parts of awakening, so if those are good then thats good, but the gameplay wasnt good because of pair up and being able to grind experience and get good items easily is a serious drag considering how simple fire emblem gameplay is and the maps that werent direct ports of old games' maps mostly sucked. hopefully they fix the first and the last (theres no way theyre getting rid of the world map thing)

Yeah, I don't disagree. I would prefer if they went back to a more traditional linear stage style than giving you an optional grind spot and the DLC was nice in some areas for like the spotpass stuff, but making EXP DLC was pretty dumb.

• Locked thread