Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
We have moved to Blackout!

What is H1Z1? Another Miserable Zombie Survival MMO

Yes, another zombie survival MMO like DayZ, Rust, Nether, Infestation: Survivor Stories (formerly WarZ), and a whole bunch of other titles. If you're familiar with this genre, you ought to be wondering why you should care about the latest iteration in what has honestly been a genre filled with maybe the worst development record in recent years. This is yet another entry into an already-crowded genre, it's another Early Access piece, and there's no guarantee that we'll ever get anything more than what is present at EA launch. If you have experience with other games in this genre, you know what you're getting into. If you're coming to the table with no idea what to expect, here's the rundown:

The (zombie) survival MMO genre is defined by a couple of characteristics, namely a large, post-apocalyptic open world filled with somewhere between tens and a few hundred people. Games in this genre also tend to involve some sort of hostile enemy, typically zombies. There are a smattering of other games, like Nether, that use enemies other than zombies, but at the end of the day, it's more of a difference in how the enemies are skinned than anything else. Given the open-world nature of games in this genre, there are typically no developer-defined goals, and there is definitely no "end-game." Players run around scavenging for supplies so they can kill zombies and other players, while hopefully avoiding death themselves. Each game brings some distinct features to the table, we'll discuss what Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) is promising with H1Z1 shortly.

What everyone ought to be aware of is that, if you ask me, this is the first try by a "serious" developer to make a zombie survival game. I don't know that I would characterize SOE as a AAA developer, but they're definitely several steps above indie groups and small low-budget teams. Bohemia Interactive, the folks developing DayZ, made a shitton of money off of DayZ, but they've since demonstrated that, as developers, they're almost totally incompetent and love using lovely engines, so maybe SOE will actually bring some quality to the genre. But probably not. Don't get me wrong, there are some reasons to be hopeful about this, and at the very least, you can probably squeeze :20bux: worth of fun out of this by harvesting pubby tears and chilling with cool goons. Ultimately, though, there is no guarantee whatsoever that SOE will deliver a finished product that everyone will be satisfied with. Right now, H1Z1's redeeming qualities are that it isn't an (obvious) shady money-grab or some weirdo's masturbatory survival fantasty.

This is an Early Access Project (by SOE)

I've said it a bunch already, but this is an Early Access (EA) project. Are we totally clear on this? Here's what Steam has to say:

quote:

This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development.

There is also more on the Steam page, which can be found here. What really needs to be absolutely clear to anyone considering purchasing this is that, as Steam points out, you are entitled to nothing more than exactly what you get when you buy in. If this turns out to be complete garbage that is almost entirely unplayable, then that's on you. This probably won't be the case, but it's fairly likely that progress on the game will be slow and minimal. If you can't tolerate the idea that significant bugs will be present for months at a time, consider backing away while you still have a chance.

All that said, I don't think the disclaimers that anyone offers about EA projects should mean that you can't complain about bad decisions made by the developers. SOE may not be legally obligated to deliver a complete project, but they have basically promised a variety of things, and if they don't deliver, they deserve, at the very least, some angry messages or whatever.

Features

The biggest thing H1Z1 has going for it is the engine, I think. It's using SOE's proprietary Forgelight engine, which is also what they're using for Planetside 2 and Everquest. I played PS2 a few years back, and the engine seemed pretty good. It could handle hundreds, if not thousands, of people running around on a large continent, shooting each other, assaulting bases, driving vehicles, and piloting aircraft. There were some problems with rendering distances, and those may have been fixed by now, but in a survival game, it's unlikely you'll ever be so far away from targets that render distances would pose a real issue. This isn't Arma-level milsperg, so I don't think anyone should be expecting to land any 1,000 meter sniper shots. The engines other devs have used just weren't up to the task, if you ask me, and I definitely feel like Forgelight can get the job done, if SOE doesn't gently caress up all the content. And I'm sure they will, somehow.

- Mix of first- and third-person gameplay

- Day/night cycle

- Accelerated seasonal cycle that will include things like snow blanketing the ground

- Base building, either literally building your own compound or boarding up a preexisting building

- Destroying other bases

- "Heavy" emphasis on crafting, where you need to experiment to figure out how to make things like hatchets, bows, arrows, traps, and more. Expect this information to be quickly accessible once someone either figures everything out via experimentation or just datamines everything.

- Vehicles, three different varieties at EA launch. They're supposed to be rare and will need repair, but at least they don't fall through the world like they do in DayZ. Right now we've got pickup trucks, police cars, and jeeps. You need spark plugs and a battery to get one running.

- Permadeath with no global inventory

- No skills or levels

- Wildlife, and, of course, hunting. Right now there are deer, wolves, bears, and rabbits. Bears will gently caress your poo poo up.

- Server-specific rules, such as PvP servers, PvE servers, headshot-only servers, etc. Each character you create is locked to a single server. As of right now, they're capping populations at 200 per serverand you have to queue if the server you like playing on is full.

- An 8x8km map that is supposed to expand over time. Here is a fan-made map that was made based on developer screenshots, or something. If servers really do fill up, then 200 people on a 64km^2 server ends up leading to an average of about 3 people per square kilometer. Obviously this will be significantly higher in cities and other areas of interest.

- Game modes. Until very recently, no one was sure what this entailed, but recently, SOE revealed that they were working with the creator of the popular Arma 3 mod Battle Royale to bring something similar to H1Z1. In A3BR, players are airdropped into a rapidly-shrinking circle that they must stay in while searching for gear, such that they can kill all other players and end up being the last man standing. In H1Z1, it looks like the rules are basically going to be the same, but here's the catch: You have to spend "event tickets" to join one of these servers, at a rate of 1 ticket per match. These tickets are acquired by either paying $$$ for them or getting them through regular gameplay (unsure what this latter method entails). If you're in the top X% of winners of a match, your ticket is refunded. If you're bad at shooting mans, you have to pony up more money to play again. More game modes are expected, and it looks like SOE is hoping to make most of their revenue this way, since apparently cosmetics don't generate any money. That could, of course, be because SOE likes to overprice everything they make available. As of right now, it is free to play the Battle Royale mode due to bugs. You will not be charged tickets until SOE is satisfied with the system.

- There's probably other stuff I've forgotten, but I think you get the gist of things. I'll update the list here if people point out that I've forgotten something critical.

Should I Buy This?

Grimby posted:

You shouldn't buy this. Donate the $20 to charity or flush it down the toilet or something.

Eonwe posted:

I played it at SOE Live

it did not have content

John Smedley, CEO of SOE posted:

Is H1Z1 going to be better than Day Z day 1? No it won't. We'll get asked that question a lot and I wanted to be up front about it. We're not as feature rich and they have a lot of really cool stuff we just don't have yet.

Note: Smedley is full of poo poo if you ask me. He's been a PR disaster since this project was announced, and based on the list of features I just provided, H1Z1 is already leaps and bounds ahead of DayZ, which, as basically all DayZ goons will tell you, is full of hackers, has truly obnoxious survival mechanics, has a terrible update record, buggy zombies, and buggy vehicles. This isn't to say that H1Z1 is necessarily good, but it's probably going to be better than DayZ. Or at least a different kind of bad.

Quotes from goons who are probably going to buy this game:

Inzombiac posted:

Watch me buy yet another zombie survival game that I drop in a week due to it being lovely and full of MILLSPEC retards.

hitachi posted:

I am probably buying this on release because I am stupid and like to waste money.

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Somebody tell me I shouldn't buy this. Bah! The appeal of these games is too strong on me. I am weak.

My take: Don't buy this yet. I'm going to, and a bunch of other goons are going to, and we're all retarded autists who will probably live to regret our purchases. This game WILL EVENTUALLY BE FREE TO PLAY, so unless you need the latest zombie survival MMO right now, go spend $20-$40 on literally anything else, because even burning :20bux: may end up being more fun than this. Leave your basement, go to a bar, meet a nice girl or guy or something. Go put $20 in the bank, maybe by the time this stupid thing is finished you'll have accumulated enough interest to be a millionaire. Or come play with us. Your call.

A few other related notes:

H1Z1 will eventually be free-to-play. If you buy now, you have two options, a $20 package and a $40 package. Both get you access to EA. For :20bux:, you also get 3 event tickets (for that Battle Royale thing I mentioned), 1 launch crate Key (apparently something similar to crates in CSGO or TF2, I don't really know), and 2 crates (again, something like crates in other games I have no experience with). For :20bux: :20bux:, you get 25 event tickets, 3 airdrop tickets, 4 launch crate keys, 6 crates, and an "exclusive aviator hat crafting recipe." All in all, you're not really getting anything special by buying in now. If anything, SOE is just giving you a taste of the stuff they're going to try to get you to spend money on down the road. SOE claims they're focusing on cosmetics and alternate game modes as a means to generate revenue, but I have absolutely no faith that they won't do something stupid that pushes people to pay money just to play the regular game. Hopefully they make enough money off of EA launch sales to keep them happy for a while, though. I will note that they're definitely loving with you by giving you fewer crates than keys. You need one key for every crate you want to open, and keys cost money. You might have 2 crates, but you only have one key, so if you want to open your other crate, get ready to pony up some cash.

Airdrops: People can purchase airdrops, which involves a cargo plane flying overhead and dropping a crate within a certain area, that anyone can then access. The crates have a mix of cosmetic and useful items in them, and the idea is that this isn't "pay to win" because anyone can see the crate and steal what's inside, regardless of who paid for and called in the drop. Major opportunity for SOE to either gently caress the game up a bunch with this, or for goons to harvest many pubby tears by stealing poo poo they shelled out money for. Redditors have kicked up a real fuss over this, and SOE has since done some rebalancing to make it harder for an individual to call in an airdrop and claim it for himself. To date, goons have stolen at least three airdrops.

Hacking is also a concern. DayZ has consistently struggled with hackers. Part of DayZ's issue, though, is that their client-server structure is stupid, and clients have way more power than they should. However, even in other games where the server tries to handle important stuff, hacking has been prevalent, namely with regard to ESP hacks, which allow the hack user to see other players through walls and stuff. If properly designed, these hacks can be difficult to detect, since the server has to tell you, the client, where other people are, such that you can interact with them (and by interact with, I mean kill). Anticheats try to combat this, and they can be reasonably effective, but the solutions are almost always an after-the-fact thing, since you can't really punish someone for cheating until they have already done so, and by that time, the victim is already dead and has lost all their stuff. In a shooter, this isn't a huge deal since you just respawn and keep trucking. You may not even know you died to a cheater. In a survival game with permadeath, though, that poo poo is a lot more obvious, and infinitely more frustrating. Hopefully things stay under control while the $20 entry fee exists, but once this goes F2P, I fully expect poo poo to to hit the fan. SOE claims they've got a great antihack in place, as evidenced by the lack of cheaters in PS2, but as I've heard, hacking used to be an issue in PS2, and the only reason it stopped being an issue was because no one plays PS2 anymore, thus low demand for hacks. There's no way to say for sure how this will end, but I'm betting it'll be an issue at some point. Hacks are available as of 1/17/15, and SOE has since made a public statement about how they're working to address the situation. Again, no way to tell how this will ultimately end.

Finally, a warning: SOE has repeatedly hosed up their deadlines, has done a terrible PR job, and generally seems less competent than some would like. Here's a brief history of the development of the game so far. Hopefully it gives you and idea of what future development will be like.

SOE announced H1Z1 back in April, claiming it would be some sort of spiritual successor to Star Wars Galaxies (definitely not the case). Smedley claimed they'd have EA ready in about 4-6 weeks, and then they launched a really good PR campaign that involved lots of live streams and events. People felt pretty good about things. Then, suddnely, SOE went quiet and wouldn't talk about things like release dates or progress. Some time later, they announced that they had decided they didn't have enough content to feel good about a release, and then proceeded to attend several video game conventions, including their very own SOE Live, only to show the exact same features they'd been showing from day one, while mentioning other stuff that apparently still hasn't been implemented, and probably never will be. What really bothered me, and probably others, during this process, is that SOE kept talking about how they wanted a really open development process that fans could be involved in. However, they said they had a list of features on a whiteboard that they wanted to implemented before releasing EA, yet refused to talk about the contents of the list. The transparency talk was total bullshit, and that doesn't bode well for future PR. Following all this, Smedley said they were aiming for an EA date prior to 2015, which obviously didn't happen. Ultimately, January 15, 2015 is what was settled upon. What you should expect going forward, then, is long periods of silence between underwhelming patches. When I say that progress has been slow, I'm not trying to poo poo on SOE or the genre, I'm being as honest as I can. SOE has talked about a lot of features that have yet to materialize, so I don't see any reason for people to have faith in SOE's ability to deliver content in a timely manner. PS2 players can probably affirm that SOE has done a fairly poor job with PS2 as well in that regard.

System Requirements

Minimum:
Processor: Intel i3 Dual-Core with Hyper-Threading
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 275 series or higher
DirectX: Version 10
Network: Broadban Internet connection
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space (game is sub-10 GB at this point)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible Card

Recommended:
Processor: Intel i5 Quad Core or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 560 or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher
DirectX: Version 10
Network: Broadban Internet connection
Hard Drive: 20 GB available space (game is sub-10 GB at this point)
Sound Card: DirectX compatible Card

This will also eventually come to the PS4 at some point, maybe, but probably not in your lifetime.

I Want to See More Before Deciding

Here is some media from the official H1Z1 website.

Here is a developer tracker that grabs the stuff the developers post on Reddit and Twitter. This sometimes includes random Twitch streamer bullshit and Smedley's political opinions.

H1Z1 Reddit thing - Don't go here, it's a cesspool. Unfortunately, the developers are insisting on using it as their primary means of communicating with fans, so if you really want to "be involved in steering development (lol)," have fun with that. Otherwise, let other goons wade through it for you.

If you want to see unadulterated gameplay, please wait for the game to become available, such that goons can play it, talk about it, and maybe stream it. I will throw up a link to a Twitch stream, if my Internet can handle it. If other goons want to stream to help people decide, you lot can feel free to post a link for me to add to this section.

I Want to Play with Other Goons

1. We're going to use the Camping the Stairs Mumble channel (CTS) for now. If we need more space or want our own Mumble, we can work that out later. For now, though, this should be more than adequate. Try not to talk incessantly about your berry picking, especially if people are trying to get poo poo done.

2. We have a Steam group! Check the second post.

3. Each character you create is locked to a single server. No server-hopping. We're on Blackout.

Resources

- gently caress-off huge map with grids and labels and stuff; use it

- List of crafting and how to

- Type /loc in order to get your coordinates. The only ones that matter are X and Z, Y is elevation. Following are the coordinates of points of interest (X, Z), as recorded by goons. Going to be a bit before we get enough recorded for this to be useful.

Pleasant Valley police station (literally on the front steps): (-236, -1137)

----------

Old thread is here.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Kimsemus posted:

Also I want them to add base building so we can re-build Detroit from Rust. :toot:

Base building is in, something about a two-story limit though, so... No towers?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Atown posted:

This game looks just bad enough to be fun. But does it have fishing?

Also, what channel are we using on CTS?

Fish have been mentioned. I think spear fishing maybe? SOE has honestly been terrible about making it clear what is actually in and what they're "working on."

No channel yet, like I said in the OP, whoever starts playing first can probably just make one. Made a channel called H1Z1 in the Misc section.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 15, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

https://www.h1z1.com/media

That is the SOE gallery, I think all the others were under an NDA blanket or something so far?

There's no NDA thing, so I think you can post whatever you want. But yeah, that link is already in the OP, and I didn't feel like putting a bunch of timg tags in. Sorry you have to click a link and navigate through images yourselves, guys.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Lonely Bridge posted:

goooooons assembleeeeeeee

(i'm in tomorrrow, then after monday i'll be ready to poopsock)

I've had quite a few goons I haven't talked to in like, a year, message me on Steam about this, so I'm pretty psyched. It might be poo poo, but it's our poo poo.

Croccers posted:

The engine has be to better than the VBS2/whatever the poo poo the new engine DayZ uses right? Planetside 2 runs nicely for the amount of things it has to support.

Engine is almost certainly going to be better. The zombie pathing is probably going to be screwy, but I'm thinking it will be less likely to bottleneck your system in cities, and I'm betting physics deaths are going to be a lot less frequent.

biggfoo posted:

Can you fish in this game?

Fishing has been mentioned on multiple occasions, and I think there was even a screenshot posted of a dev spear-fishing, so I think it's in? It could be one of those features that never materializes, but I think fish are in the game, and fish with no fishing would be dumb.

E: More updates from one of the developers

quote:

1. Game will be available on steam @ 10am Pacific time TOMORROW MORNING
2. Whitelist servers will be there, those who have the initial servers have been notified and we left it to them to let you guys know
3. Headshot only servers mean that ZOMBIES must be killed with headshots, players are unaffected
4. Yes, we will be streaming tomorrow from our official channel (3pm Pacific), if you aren't playing or watching someone else, tune in
5. There is no pre-load option for #H1Z1 on steam for Early Access launch, the build will change too much for it to matter. (CC: @itmeJP)

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 15, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Itshappening.gif

Just kidding, launch delayed until 12pm PST. "No preload. Sry. Last minute few things we are fixing"

It begins :unsmigghh: :soe:

E:

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone play both h1z1 and Day Z wanna chime in with a comparison?

I'll probably pick this up. I really like the idea of Day Z but Day Z itself is, well, you all already know.

H1Z1 is built on what is almost certainly a better engine than what DayZ uses. The amount of autism in H1Z1 is also probably a lot lower, so while that means no feeding people bleach or whatever, it also (probably) means more shootmans, less buggy (but still buggy) zombies, and less "My balls are wet. I'm drying off. My balls are wet. I'm soaked. I'm drying off. I have hypothermia. I'm hungry. My balls are wet."

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 15, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

jabro posted:

People actually thought this would be available at the announced time. :soe:

Laughing my rear end off at all the upset Redditors who took time off of work for this

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Gonna hang out in the H1Z1 Mumble channel while I do other stuff. Available to talk people down from suicide over this 2 hour delay. I know this is a difficult time for everyone.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ko5AXctkIE

Some trailer for the game. First half is dumb, second half is fun. I have no idea if any of what they show is actually in EA, though, so take what you see with a huge spoonful of salt. Just grab the whole loving shaker, really.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Release pushed back (again) to 1pm PST. Reddit is real mad: "Really, a 2 hour notice on this delay? Some people took off work today. Stick to your word, you're about to lose another customer."

jerkstoresup posted:

Anyone here going to be streaming their first time playing? I'd like to see a beginner's perspective when the game opens up before I consider buying.

I'll throw something up, but it's going to be sub-720p since my Internet up-rate is bad. Other people might also? I dunno.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

suboptimal posted:

I'm really hoping the old WarZ crew gets back together (Jimmy I know you're out there reading this, baby, come home please), especially that dude who had a complete meltdown after he got sniped and ragequit the game immediately thereafter. We all heard him screaming and ranting about it while he played BF3 thanks to his 12-year old brother hot-mic'ing in Mumble and treating us to the entire sordid drama.

Really looking forward to that and other things again.

Cynthia's here in Mumble!

also rip socomtoaster

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Lonely Bridge posted:

:911:

I can try to get my streaming thing to link up again, I was having issues with it last time I checked. If I get it set up right I should be able to stream some of it a few hours from now.

Use Shadowplay if you've got an Nvidia card. It's probably sub-optimal, but it's pretty easy to set up.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Yerok posted:

So did this just get delayed 2 more hours?

2 minutes ago, as of 12:57pm PST: "deployment taking longer than expected. ETA 2pm. Don't rage folks.. it's almost here." :greenangel:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Wren610 posted:

Look SOE your gonna screw up just make the screw ups tolerable and we'll be cool.

Serious post: They're probably trying to cram too much in at the last minute. They should have finalized a release build at least a week or two ago, and then tackled minor bugs.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

We're reading lovely Reddit posts in the Mumble. Come join us!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Azerban posted:

smed just saved you 20 dollars

thank him

Maybe I'll get an avatar and poo poo now. Or not.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

There's a whole "post-mortem" he wrote somewhere and it's utter garbage. It was a fun game that was crippled not by a name, but by incompetent development, greed, and a total lack of interest in even making a basic effort to combating cheating.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Frog Act posted:

I mean, does it have zombies, guns, vehicles, and some amount of features? I can deal with launch day issues if it's playable. Though I'm not sure what those event tickets and stuff are supposed to be and feel like that doesn't augur well for their payment model

Read the OP. Yes, there are zombies. Yes, there are at least four kinds of guns (pistol, AR15, shotgun, hunting rifle), bows and arrows, spears, 3 types of cars, base building, and other poo poo.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

My stream is up, I assume Lonely Bridge's thing is still going. Links are in the OP. Post yours if you want to show this game to other goons.

suboptimal posted:

I'll be on mid-morning tomorrow EST. What mumble channel we using?

We've got a channel in the CTS Mumble. Details in the OP.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

My stream is live again.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

My notes from this evening:

- For the most part, things seem to run pretty smoothly. Played several hours with no real technical problems, even during heavy rain. I think I only heard one other goon report a freeze/crash, so that's pretty good.
- We're mostly playing on the Requiem server, but quite frankly there's no real compelling reason not to branch out.
- No one has any clue where the gently caress they are at any given time. The map in the OP is only mildly useful because it totally ignores all the random roads snaking across the map, everything looks vaguely similar, and the in-game signs generally only give you a very weak idea of where you are and where you need to go, especially if you don't have a compass. Your best bet is to find a road and just follow it wherever.
- The cities can be real traps. Lots of zombies, sometimes bears, and lots of confined spaces. You're fine if you just sprint everywhere, but that doesn't give you much opportunity to look around and find stuff. Overall, zombies are probably a little too attentive to players who are trying to be sneaky, and they just keep coming once you start fighting. I've seen them pop into existence not 20 meters away.
- The day/night cycle is really fast, and night feels a lot longer than day, especially if it rains a bunch. It's kind of annoying.
- Hunger and thirst deplete obnoxiously quickly. It's manageable, but try to keep ten or so berries on you at all times, just in case you start running low. Berries give you a bit (like 2 points?) of each of hunger and thirst, and they're ridiculously common. The only real reason why hunger/thirst gets annoying, then, is because you're mashing buttons over and over to get your dude to cram 20 berries down his throat one at a time.
- No healing over time, you have to use bandages or first aid kits. If you keep getting into scraps with zombies and don't get a good feel for the bow/melee, you're going to die.
- A lot of items that you will feel compelled to keep with you are really, really bulky and don't fit into backpacks and stuff. You can put whatever you want in your three weapon slots, but you'll probably end up putting a bow in one slot, a long gun in the second (if you find one), and maybe an ax or crowbar in the third. Those sorts of items will literally not fit in anything besides your weapon slots or vehicle storage, and it's honestly fairly annoying. If you run in a crew, have each person carry a different utility item, I guess.
- Firearms aren't hard to find. I've seen tens of handguns and at least five hunting rifles. Ammo? Not so much.

Getting started, since I'm assuming most of you didn't have a chance to play much, if at all, tonight:

- Berries are your go-to food source. Yes, they're annoying to eat, but they're plentiful and don't take up much space. Once you find a backpack or a vehicle, you can probably cart around enough clean water and cooked meat to do away with berries, but until then...
- You can rip your shirt into rags, which you can then use to make bandages or a bow. Make a bow. It's lovely, and it takes some getting used to, but it beats melee combat, which is currently a little buggy. The bow is crafted with one rag and one stick. Sticks are obtained from thin white bushy looking things. Just run around in the bushes mashing E. You can also craft arrows out of sticks, two at a time. The bow doesn't shoot very far, and you need to go for headshots, so don't be afraid to let zombies get a little close. The only issue at that point is that it takes a bit to "reload," so if you miss or there are multiple incoming zombies, you're going to have a rough time. Practice shooting the bow before you get into fights with it. It can be a little confusing/buggy.
- As far as crafting goes, you need to "discover" a combination before you can craft it. There are tabs in your inventory screen and the process should be reasonably intuitive.
- Melee fighting is a bit rough. You can use Q to push zombies back, staggering them, which gives you time for a swing or two. The issue is that the zombies sometimes hit you from way farther away than they should be able to, they'll hit you when they're staggering from a blow, and sometimes, they'll fall on the ground and still hit you. There's no real good way to not take damage in a melee fight, so stick to the bow as much as you can. Melee works in a pinch on lone zombies, but you can't kite them and stunlock them as you might expect.
- When an enemy, be it zombie, wolf, bear, or deer, is dead, you're not done. Grab a bladed weapon and smack the corpse until it goes away. Zombies sometimes give rags, while wildlife drops meat and fat.
- Save salt when you find it. You can combine it with purified water to make a saline solution, which you can then combine with bandages to make a first aid kit, and that's a full heal. The bandages alone are only 10%, and if zombies are your primary source of rags, that may not be a war of attrition that you can win, since each bandage is crafted from two rags. You don't get any passive healing.
- Zombies have a really hard time getting through closed doors. Run into a building and close all the doors if you're in a jam.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

It is ok to enjoy bad things since you expect them to be bad. You get what you want.

You really have to be dense to think this game is going to be good, or have not heard much about SOE for the last forever years, or not even read the op.

Yep. If you read the OP, read the thread, and then bought the game and are upset with anyone other than yourself... vertical line vertical line vertical line vertical line

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Shadefyre posted:

This thread is going to end up going the way of the two WarZ threads isn't it?

Ignore the shitposters. It's not difficult.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Goon police force successfully patrolled Pleasant Valley and engaged in police brutality maintained the peace.

E: SOE is claiming they increased loot at some point today.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 17, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Republicans posted:

I'd love to find out how many people are actually on this project full time.

Not very many, I don't think. I want to say probably less than 15, at least a few of which are pure "level designers" and "balancers."

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

We've got quite the goon swarm/goon camp going. A lot of solid progress for one evening.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

CupBoy posted:

RoyAwesome awesomed up the map with place names and coordinate grid and poo poo: http://puu.sh/eF31n/2f085694c2.png (warning huge png)

Will update the OP with this shortly.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

I know it goes against the spirit of being a goon, but a little bit of comms discipline would go a long way when we've got a bunch of goons in one channel. Splitting off into subchannels because people can't stop talking over one another isn't a good solution if it just means we're going to kill each other in the wilds. At the very least, hit the VOIP button to ID yourself if someone is screaming at you.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Republicans posted:

Didn't that last server reset break in-game VOIP?

Nope. The situation seems to be that whoever VOIPs first has their name pop up on-screen for everyone. If other people start talking before that person has finished, their names do not appear. However, if they wait for the first person to finish, their name should appear. Yeah, it's probably buggy, but it kind of works, so... Pay attention to VOIP and don't just assume you can reply in Mumble if people are serious about using subchannels.

E: Regarding what Eonwe said - I mostly agree, but we had an airdrop land close to camp, and goons started telling the airdrop raiders to drop down a channel. Half the people who went after the drop moved channels, the others didn't, and bad things happened. We still got the contents of the drop, but unnecessary goon-on-goon violence occurred, and it would have probably been avoided if goon camp had just quieted down about berry picking while the airdrop was retrieved.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

what happened posted:

well, I can select my character, press play, and then I get kicked to desktop with no error message :soe:

A couple people reported corrupted character files last night. Maybe that's your issue?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

PSA: If you find a letter (don't know what else to call it) that has a description of a location of a cache, take the letter to the place, find the cache, and shove the letter in. It'll spawn a bunch of cool stuff like weapons and ammo.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Tonight, we found a pub base near camp, and then we went on a field trip to visit our new neighbors. They hid inside their terrible little shack and tried to log. They weren't fast enough. Somebody said they'd post a video at some point.

E: Regarding that letter thing I posted about, here's an example of what you can get out of the cache:

For reference, that is a poo poo-ton of shotgun shells.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 18, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

How many goons are playing? I'll pretty much buy anything if I can have fun shooting the poo poo with goons.

Well, right now there are around 20 goons in Mumble so... Quite a few? There are even usually a handful that hang around into the early hours of the morning, so you should honestly be able to find people to hang out with at any time of day.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

People running Goonbase: Chill out on the autism. Jesus Christ.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Kimsemus posted:

It's not a problem really, people just really need to chill out and remember that this is a game, and everything is duped, and the berries don't matter.

Someone has to run the show at base, there's really no disputing that. And it's good that people have self-appointed. My only point is that if you can't relax and repeatedly coach confused goons through getting geared up, maybe don't self-appoint. Gooncamp is confusing to new people, and I can't count the number of times I've heard "Come to the guy with his hands up," only to look around and see four or five different people running around with their hands up. Protip: that's confusing to new people, so don't get irritated when they have no clue what you're talking about. Most of us have learned names/voices by now, but newcomers haven't, so chill out and stop threatening to shoot people because they can't read your mind or whatever. Also, fill up your own water bottles and cook your own rabbit meat.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Raiders came back when only two of us were active at base. They ended up busting down a few doors before we got things under control, mainly thanks to the timely arrival of Maniak and Akumos. They're definitely waiting for us all to leave before they come to try and break in.

E: And they're back again.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 20, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Republicans posted:

That's pretty much inevitable I think. Just like in PS2 there's no shortage of poopsockers/people in different time zones to undo all of your hard work while you sleep.

How high can you build? I'm hoping you can construct a nice, tall tower surrounded by barbed wire, pungee sticks and land mines with a line of multiple doors serving as an entrance.

You can't build that high and there are a lot of restrictions on where you can place stuff. However, rabbit traps ignore most restrictions and aren't destructible, so we're using those to try to set up some chokepoints in base. It's a real pisser to set up so many loving traps, though, and they fall out of alignment really easily.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

11 or 12 guys in red flannel and blue motorcycle helmets with an assortment of weapons and car batteries/spark plugs just showed up, played music over prox, stole a vehicle, and then basically all of them were killed by Maniak. Some other guys have apparently figured out a way to bug through the floors of base structures and may be stealing guns out of locked rooms and turning them on the people defending base.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Mumble during server downtime:

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dvsilverwing posted:

Personally every container I look in is still empty, despite them having fixed it.

No, no, you see, loot spawning is "fixed," but the respawns on loot in containers isn't. But loot is totally fixed guys.

• Locked thread