Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
STEAM GROUP: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/smedbucks
Current main server for Alpha: Blackout

Follow me brothers, for Rust was but the the training ground in naked, pubbie killing survival.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

lol because i went to SOE Live I get a beanie

gently caress you non-beanie havers

idiots

It's unfortunate that I am going to craft a knife then slip and drop it into your face for your beanie.

BUTTERFINGERS.

Also I want them to add base building so we can re-build Detroit from Rust. :toot:

No but seriously what does the beanie look like.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Base building is in, something about a two-story limit though, so... No towers?

Fine, a two story, super huge, open goon-loft where we can sleep naked on top of each other to keep warm it is.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Atown posted:

This game looks just bad enough to be fun. But does it have fishing?

Also, what channel are we using on CTS?

It does have fishing. (It's a way you can get food iirc). AA was fun for that but I'm hoping we can all just enjoy all these new games together and just let Widestancer drag that game and thread behind the MMO barn and shoot it in the head.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 15, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

THE PENETRATOR posted:

where the f*ck are the pics off the game, OP?

https://www.h1z1.com/media

That is the SOE gallery, I think all the others were under an NDA blanket or something so far?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
A few of us are on CTS hanging out now.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

Let's get a couple of Rude Dudes together for a gimmick group, i.e. making pubbies dance for us or be executed, fine someone's camp and circle it with cow skulls or some poo poo.

This games are dumb and stupid and only worth playing if you're doing dumb poo poo that is more of a hassle to deal with.
Just flat-out murdering some Ukrainian teenager without a mic is boring.

If you played with us in Rust, then you'd know that this will be 99% of our gameplay experience. :3

The antics goons come up with always warm my heart.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
A few of us are idling in the H1Z1 channel under the Misc section on CTS mumble.

Tomorrow we'll make a collective effort to all get on the same server between queues and inevitable crashes. There is already primitive base building in game, and Eonwe (Who played the game at SOE Live) suggested some potential spots.

If you guys are interested in playing and dying horrifically together, find us there.

You can also add me, Kimsemus, on Steam.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 15, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Tryhard redditors are going to identify in game using their "signature" cowboy hats.

I feel like we should use cowboy hats to easily identify each other too, and just communicate on mumble because we're not plebs.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Ptolemaeus posted:

Until something is set up, I will be playing for quite a while after launch, steam name Ptolemaeus if someone gets sick of lone wolfing it.

Just join CTS where we are all going to be playing.

Also: http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/22p8rc/monetization_in_h1z1/

This thread. BILLBOARDS, SMEDLEY LET COMPANIES PAY FOR BILLBOARDS IN THE GAME.

Because that worked so well in the first Planetside, where Need for Speed: Tokyo Drift would play for 3 years before you got in the dropship.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Can somebody clue me in on the "does this game have fishing" thing?

It basically caused a divide between "Goons who will grief pubbies and PVP under any circumstances", and "Goons who scream to the point of distorting their microphone about how ruining fishing is destroying their game."

It was the classic PVP vs PVE ideology at work in an MMO. Although the drama has been put to bed, and friendships reforged, the meme remains.

Also yes, fishing is a major way to get food in this game.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The game needs to be launched comfortably at 6pm EST, as all goons who went to work come home, sit down after making a nice pot of coffee and a quick 15 minutes on the elliptical, as try hards who stayed home are stewing in regret and lamentation.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Yerok posted:

So did this just get delayed 2 more hours?

quote:

This is getting tiring..."an hours nothing" except its now gonna be 3 hours.....hard to schedule around poo poo thats getting pushed back constantly....people who thought they could download it now have to wait because they have work, class, family etc...you put time aside to be like ok I can play for a bit or install.....nope...delay, delay, delay......get your poo poo together. Guarantee its a TOTAL poo poo show when it does "launch" to make it even sweeter...what a joke.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Third World Reggin posted:

I heard someone made another zombie game. Is this the one with the bad AI or bad gameplay?

Both...

maybe both.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/smedbucks

Steam group is up for goons - Five Nights At Smedley's.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
You can spend your existing smedbucks on this game, so you know, all you PS2 refugees have something to spend on.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Three-Phase posted:

What's a smedbuck?

Station Cash, the common currency used across all SOE Games.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

:soe: : Because gently caress you, that's why.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Givin posted:

Thanks to all you dumb fucks for buying an even shittier DayZ making all SOE services piss over and die. I can't even log in to Real Game Everquest because of this piece of poo poo.

This post is easily worth the $20 I spent.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Stanley Pain posted:

There's like 1 streamer playing this right now and all the rest are waiting.

Several goons are in game, game seems to be performing normally once you're past the login.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Game really isn't that bad. Yes, EA version is super rough, but the engine itself is infinitely better than DayZ or I:SS. The potential is here, assuming :soe: don't cock it up, which they definitely might.

Over all, has the most potential for social play and teamwork compared to many other games because of how inventory and building/fortifying works. When they add the additional agricultural/construction etc features it will be nice. Combat was reasonably fluid if buggy which is to be expected. Also vehicle handling is good, crafting is fairly intuitive with good variety of loot and recipes. Items in nature like berries/sticks/cloth are abundant. It's easy to establish a baseline level of equipment and then experiment further. You can completely lumber trees to make planks then construct various primitive walls, etc right now. I think it's quite fun, really. Frustrating with lack of polish but that is expected. It has potential for a lot of goony fun.

IMO, we definitely can't complain about bugs, loot, etc, because those will be fixed. The core mechanics are there, and most of them work. Bugs and wonky behaviors/mechanics don't bother me because they get fixed, I sort of knew to expect them with EA.

Such is my opinion.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 16, 2015

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

like the "p2w" airdrop thing, its a big loud as gently caress plane that drops green smoke that everyone on the server will be able to see and go toward

if you manage to get to the airdrop before someone else does and takes your stuff, before you get killed, before a loving bear kills you, or whatever else you might get a gun/guns, you might get like some loving water or whatever

apparently they are going to make guns rarer drops in the crates and also make the drop zone a lot bigger, meaning good loving luck getting your crate

its not so much p2w as an RNG slotmachine with zombies and KOS assholes standing next to you waiting for you to pull the lever so they can steal whatever coins drop out of the machine

I'm actually 100% fine with this. Simply camping the crate with a rifle sounds like fun and I support it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Knifegrab posted:

This thread is full of rationalization and its absolutely adorable. :allears:

Maybe some of us just don't feel as strongly about P2W as poor people on reddit who want a F2P game where the developer makes zero dollars because developers like :soe: make games purely out of a sense of altruism right?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

either post what you want to post about or go back to posting badly in the charlie hebdo thread

No this is the internet, we need to be cryptic and only reveal our true argument when the time is right, because we pay by the word here.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Prophecy120 posted:

How set in stone are we with the Requiem server? I can log in just fine now and see the server list, but Requiem is consistently unavailable to join. 95% of all the other servers work just fine, however.

Not at all, it's just alpha. Hop on CTS and join the channel and see where everyone is playing atm, that's just our defacto server most of the time when it works, for now.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Haroshia posted:

New update from Smed about upcoming changes.

I think it's pretty hilarious he's using Reddit for his communication.

This is the typical next step in the Smedolution development cycle.

We already passed the HYPEZONE/SO MANY FEATURES iteration, now we're entering into the BACKLASH CONTROL/OHGODWHY iteration.

Next will be the IM SO SORRY, FORGIVE ME REDDIT phase which will happen in a few days, then the FEATURE GUT/GUYS JUST GIVE THIS GAME 6 MONTHS step.

Finally, when the dust settles, Smedley will announce several new handgun skins for Planetside 2, and then disappear again into the shadowy depths that birthed him.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Eonwe posted:

thats already happening its called everquest next

Don't worry, this time things will be different. :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The saltiness on Reddit over supply drops is hilarious. There are dozens of threads with images just like this one with caps lock screams of lies and misdirection.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Knifegrab posted:

When you call in an airdrop, where does it fall? Right over where you are?

Right now, it's dropping like 50 feet from where you are.

In theory, it's supposed to drop anywhere in a very wide vicinity with flairs and loud airplane noises and all that jazz.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Haroshia posted:

That's kinda why I'm on the fence about it. I mean this has MAJOR grief potential, which I like, but as it stands right now 90% of the downsides of the airdrop aren't working properly. It drops too close and too fast, it almost always has something awesome in it, and zombies don't react to it. On the one hand, Smed says this is a "bug", but I'm far more inclined to believe this is just him trying to see exactly where the line is on P2W bullshit. It's kinda his MO.

I don't see why people are mad either, it's no worse than the airdrops in vanilla Rust, except people have to pay for them this time.

Like it's the same random level of chance you might get anything anyway, the only people who should be mad are the people dumb enough to fork over money to fly a plane in to give goons loot.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The airdrops work the same way they did in Rust, with a similar sized map, with almost identical broadcast mechanics.

Airdrops would come in, a blood bath would ensue, and the inevitable group of 2-3 people that walked into the airdrop area already heavily armed almost always got the drop. It'll be no different in this game, so I don't see why people are upset.

You may call in an airdrop with your :10bux: but it's just going to end in tears for you. There is almost a 0% chance of you getting the loot you paid for which is how it should be, rather you're just paying to seed the server with items. Just look at the math.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goon camp is coming together -- most of the mead hall is done, and now working on building and ringing the campsite with pungee pits and barbed wire, which are very effective at hanging up pubbies and stopping zombies.

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I am kinda surprised that most of the jankiness present in day 1 is now gone. Zombies are a credible threat at times now and hunting isn't that easy anymore (deer scent is a big help now). My only issue is I am having trouble aiming the bow, it feels like the aim "jumps" kinda far as I move the mouse when I am holding right mouse and trying to make a precise headshot. Anyone got a fix for that?

Craft the improved Wooden Bow with a wood stick, twine, and cloth.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

While on patrol for pubbies, we discovered a better way to hunt.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Goon camp has been under attack by pubbies this evening, they came with guns and axes, but were unprepared to just get run over by police cars repeatedly.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

suboptimal posted:

*spends 30 minutes crawling through the bush to goon fort, gets shot by another goon while trying to help fend off an attack, respawns even further away than before*

Welcome to playing survival games with goons! :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The goonbase is beginning to look like a real Somalian slum. As is tradition.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kizurue posted:

So goonbase has evolved into Detroit? Or would it be devolved?

It's living up to it's name essentially. It's also getting really crowded and 50% of the goons never leave the base, so I predict that it's only a matter of time before splinters begin forming.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Werkwerk posted:

There's no fishing so I'm not worried. 20 goons also loaded up on riot gear tonight and cleared out every non-goon in town. It's amazing how goons will form orderly lines when they know we're going to give them each a gun to shoot pubbies.

I wish more people would scout for bases.

Opti, Kiri, myself and one other went out and used Kiri as bait, found one big base, and killed 20-30 pubbies. That to me is the most fun this game can be, just wandering ruining pubbies.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Orv posted:

Welcome to the everproblem with goons and survival games.

It's not a problem really, people just really need to chill out and remember that this is a game, and everything is duped, and the berries don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Someone has to run the show at base, there's really no disputing that. And it's good that people have self-appointed. My only point is that if you can't relax and repeatedly coach confused goons through getting geared up, maybe don't self-appoint. Gooncamp is confusing to new people, and I can't count the number of times I've heard "Come to the guy with his hands up," only to look around and see four or five different people running around with their hands up. Protip: that's confusing to new people, so don't get irritated when they have no clue what you're talking about. Most of us have learned names/voices by now, but newcomers haven't, so chill out and stop threatening to shoot people because they can't read your mind or whatever. Also, fill up your own water bottles and cook your own rabbit meat.

I agree, and you make a good point. It's a reason why I spend so much time away from base though, bringing people out to PVP and scavenging/scouting for bases, and teaching people to be self-sufficient instead of overcrowding our camp.

To me we could be more productive encouraging goons to go out in raiding parties looking for hostile camps, rather than so many people crowding the base. People sitting in the base unsure of what to do, or not doing anything, unless they're building something or actively foraging are just draining resources, imo.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread