Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Luckily I haven't bought any of the other hundreds of zombie games so I won't feel bad about purchasing this one.

The reason this one appeals to me is 1.) there appears to be an actual focus on providing an ample number of zombies as opposed to one or two every square mile and 2.) they will be attempting to get more people on each server as opposed to one or two every square mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Tide posted:

So the air drops are basically slot machines? Might get something good, might not get crap? They did this with swg back in the day with the TCG if I remember right

I gotta admit, watching reddit and meganerds elsewhere freak out about the p2w thing is hilarious.

Yeah I honestly don't care if some guy wants to spend money at a chance at weapons. I'll be playing a hardcore PVP server which means once he dies he's losing all that poo poo anyway unless he stores it somewhere. It's not like having a good weapon is going to make people invincible.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I don't see what the big deal is with the air drops which are clearly objectives to fight over not care packages a la cod

People are freaking out because a streamer did it and there's not many people around to contest them currently. I can see once the server issues settle down people forming groups of guys who do nothing but wait for air drops to pillage.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I just played for a couple hours. Decided to quit cause I really need to sleep and I died to some guy after getting decently geared up and the game was lagging horribly. It's happened a couple times where interacting with anything either doesn't work or takes forever as if I'm desyncing from the server. I was alive for pretty much the entire two hours that I played. I discovered a hunting rifle early on but no ammo.

Some things I've discovered so far:

You can combine blackberries with purified water to make blackberry juice. In fact, blackberries will boost your hydration and energy by a small amount but if you can collect a lot of them it adds up.
Scraps of cloth have several uses so scrap whatever extra tshirts or caps you find. With 6 you can make a satchel which gives you a 300 more carrying capacity. They can also be used to make makeshift bows with wood sticks.
Scraps of metal can be made into makeshift hatchets with wood sticks.
Break up the large wooden boxes because sometimes you find stuff in them.
RIght now there really isn't much loot in cabinets or anything. I think I found one item in a cabinet the entire time I was playing and that was through searching roughly 50-75 of them. Most of the stuff I found was just laying out in the open.

I really don't get the point of the recipe system. On the PVP servers you lose recipes when you die but if you remember this stuff you're not really losing anything. Once you find the items to create it you can discover the recipe anyway.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

ethanol posted:

Has anybody managed to find a gun in a building yet?

I've found several hunting rifles and pistols in buildings. Never any ammo though.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
How do you build structures and stuff? Also, if you build a "base" can you respawn there if you die?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I feel like neither loot nor zombies are respawning. Earlier today I played shortly after the server came up and there was loot everywhere and zombies everywhere. Last couple hours I haven't found poo poo. I ran around with a stick for about an hour searching everything and couldn't even find even the smallest of items like shirts or caps. Didn't see any zombies in that time either.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Feindfeuer posted:

You're right, haven't seen any zombies either, I just assumed that the hoards of players kept the population down... but I had crates instantly respawn after i smashed them and took the plank. So there is some kind of (bugged) respawn mechanic... at least for crates.

Crates seem to respawn but the loot that can sometimes spawn in them doesn't seem to. Like I said, earlier today when I played after the servers came up I found so much stuff in crates and in random houses that I left a bunch of it. Knives, axes, shirts, etc. Even breaking crates I'd find cans of food and sometimes cloth. Now I can't find anything at all. Perhaps it's due to more players but still. Seems like nobody I'm running into has anything either.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Apparently they're working on a patch for later tonight that'll adjust the loot some and also reduce the rate at which hunger/thirst drains.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Yeah I don't even bother looking in containers anymore. I'll check garbage cans for twine sometimes to make the better bow but that's about it. All the good loot is generally just laying out in the open. You have to know what it looks like though because otherwise you'll miss things. It's easy to miss ammo for example. Also, if you're looking for food break up the wooden crates in cabins, houses and grocery stores. If they're going to leave the container loot the way it is they need to remove the "timer" to open them because it's a huge waste of time.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Looks like they are fixing the loot (or lack thereof) in containers. Patch later tonight.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

•Floating Arrows should no longer cause damage or obstruct vehicles.

Why don't they just fix it so arrows don't float... :raise:

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Xae posted:

Better to shred your shirt.

A make shift bow is a OHK if you get a headshot.

Find a container that someone will search. F. Camp it from some dark corner. Wait for someone to search it.

Murder them. Take their stuff, listen to their wailing on voice chat.

I've made a lifestyle out of it. I go out with just a bow and some arrows and murder my way to equipment. Then I drop off the equipment in goon camp.

I did this again this morning. I'm already up to a small hoard of water bottles and a hunting rifle.

Now I just need to find one with a backpack.

I suck at being mean in these games. I normally give people the benefit of the doubt and end up getting killed myself. :(

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Knightmare posted:

Yes but I have yet to find replacement pants out in the world, while shirts are fairly plentiful. So you shred your pants and then you're out a decent amount of inventory space. Although maybe the patch has fixed pants, I haven't played in 2 days.

I did find pants in the 10 minutes I was able to play before work.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Figures it was only a matter of time before the arrow recipe only made one arrow. Didn't really make sense that it was making 2 to begin with.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Maybe one of these patches they'll actually fix the loot. Every patch it's the same thing. Start out as soon as the servers go back up, manage to find some decent stuff, get killed and then spend the rest of the time not finding poo poo.

Not to mention, I swear with every patch they reduce the amount of zombies that are in the game. I think I saw more bears than I did zombies.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Loot will probably be adjusted to the lower side again. Apparently the vocal minority that play this game want a game where you have to search for 24 hours real time to find anything worthwhile.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I haven't played the new patch but I know that some people were saying loot was fine BEFORE this patch. If that was considered "fine" I'm not sure this is the type of game for me. I can only run around looking in every container and every building finding empty water bottles for so long before I want to shoot myself in the face.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Eonwe posted:

I wonder how hard it is to prevent people from doing the alt + f4 thing, like really

It's clear this game trusts the client way too much. Speed hacks, teleporting, inventory duping. I can kinda get the inventory duping it's probably a bit more complicated than the others, but the fact that the server is trusting the client as far as where the client is located in the world is a pretty big no no to pretty much anybody developing an online FPS game.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Fanatic posted:

Won my first Battle Royale last night inadvertently without seeing anyone the whole round or even firing a bullet.

This is the reason why the entire Battle Royale gametype is flawed in my opinion. There needs to be more forced interactions with other players. The idea of the gas is to essentially push people closer together but even then that's still not enough sometimes. I'm not faulting you, because honestly the best way to win the game is to avoid combat but I think the idea needs to be improved upon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Atarian posted:

Liking the game so far. I haven't fired at a human yet, I'm always afraid they will turn out friendly and lose their stuff.

That being said, I'm consistently killed on sight. Maybe I need to harden up.

Just earlier I was leaving a house as someone was approaching. I let them know there was some water inside, and as I passed him, he shot me in the back of the head. I gave him a defeated "nice shot", and he said, "yeah, gently caress you".

I don't think I'd last very long in a post apocalyptic world.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. You kinda have to be a dick to survive in this game.

• Locked thread