Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

nessin posted:

I feel this has probably been brought up countless times and sparked off many a war, but a few of the streamers I watch regularly started picking this up and the game has been residing in the top 5 through twitch since it was released and I'm curious. Exactly how is this any different from DayZ, or what is the draw of it versus the other survival games like DayZ, Rust, and so on?

It's new so it's popular right now. The engine is a bit stronger than DayZ in my opinion but it's still pretty alpha so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

GreenLight posted:

i must say i enjoy shooting arrows into heads very much.

Someone had me dead to rights while I was stupidly checking containers (never again), he somehow missed with his arrow from 5 feet so I started raining fists of fury upon him (I had no weapons). He realized it's really tough to shoot someone flailing & juking around at point blank range and gave up on the bow to start punching me back. It was too late however, after 30 seconds or so I gave him the knockout killpunch and the screech he made in prox chat was so satisfying. And to finish the deed I proned inside his dead body and said "nom nom nom" as I stripped him naked of loot while he contemplated having relations with my mom.

I died about 20 seconds later to a crowbar in the face from a random person.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Eltoasto posted:

This has been my biggest issue. If I go on a PVE server, there are just people everywhere. If I go on the goon pvp server, I still run across someone every minute or two. Just the popularity right now I guess, but it's only a matter of time until I'm dead, even if I win the majority of my fistfights. I've yet to even see a metal scrap or crowbar.

Yeah there are a lot of people online and any kind of structure will have someone around it or someone visiting within a few minutes, no matter how remote it seems. I died in my particular encounter since I had very low health after the fistfight, but usually if people get aggressive you can just run forever and everyone runs the same speed so they'll never catch you with melee weapons.

Also some dev on twitter is saying containers should be fixed (not sure about now, or in the next patch).

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

D-Pad posted:

You should shred both your shirt and pants upon spawn. This gives you enough cloth to craft a makeshift bow and a satchel with 300 storage (more than shirt plus pants)

Yes but I have yet to find replacement pants out in the world, while shirts are fairly plentiful. So you shred your pants and then you're out a decent amount of inventory space. Although maybe the patch has fixed pants, I haven't played in 2 days.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Fanatic posted:

You used to be able to play them when the game released, but they have been unjoinable for awhile now. I heard they may become pay to play using those event tickets.

They're joinable still when a new BR game starts on that server but there's no way to refresh the server list right now. People are closing and reopening the game to get in supposedly.

Does BR not use tickets right now? I've been finding about one per hour right now. Including in containers I've already checked (stealing someone's goodies out of a shack).

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

...You can put tickets in a container? Can you not just keep them in your global inventory with your skins and such?

No, I had found someone's storage in a shed in the middle of nowhere, so I looted it a couple times while dropping stuff on the floor and like the third time I opened it there was an event ticket inside that wasn't there before. That makes me think they're on a "rare drop" kind of system where there's a 1% chance to spawn a ticket every time you open a container. Can probably be tested by opening the same container over and over for two hours but no one would ever do that.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Bow headshots will kill you in one shot, but with a helmet you can take two I believe. The helmet durability goes to 0 after taking any shots, and then any subsequent headshot would kill you. Not sure about how bulky the helmets are but would be pretty funny to be have a few in the backpack and switch them out when shot in the face.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

davebo posted:

Well that's what I mean, are there set spawn points and is it random or would they think to include code that maybe doesn't spawn you 8 km away from someone you were partied up with or simply assume you might want to spawn at a point relatively nearby where you last died? Sounds like you're saying it is random. Is there even a party system in this yet or just group up with people and walk together?

Edit: Suboptimal you're here! Okay just tell me yes or no if I need to pay $20 be in this thing with you guys, even if its garbage.

There's no party system yet, there might be in the future but I wouldn't count on spawning on your party if you die as that'd remove a lot of the penalty from dying. I've messed in a PvE server for a bit and it's really hard to die, nothing presents a challenge currently unless you get surprised by a bear.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Trying to figure out their plan by taking out the ground tamper though.

Is it possible to still build bases without it? I haven't bothered trying yet, as bases are huge 'steal!' beacons

Although the metal door fix should help for those not skilled in exploiting the game

I think they might bring it back after giving it some more rules. People were cutting off roads, placing them in buildings, etc. It was pretty funny. I've definitely seen some of the larger structures on flat ground though, I don't believe it's requred for bases. Not sure what they're going to do with the current tampered ground.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

They should probably just hold you in place until everything is loaded. Lockable doors but not lockable storage is a good thing, my favorite part of the game so far was coming upon some dude's stash and breaking an axe and machete to get to it.

If I ever create a stash it'll probably be underground, or I'll create a couple shacks with locked doors in the wilderness somewhere with my actual stash only in one of them.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

Those new metal doors are basically invulnerable. It doesn't do much on a shack near the ground but on a platform I think there is no way inside if the platform is high enough off the ground because you can't seem to break the door and the login invisible wall thing doesn't work since it's on a platform.

I tried crowbar and axe, so could be I just didn't have the right tool, but I can't imagine what the tool is.

I thought the right tool would be a shotgun but that barely did anything to metal doors as well. A bunch of people with axes would probably work.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

D-Pad posted:

I just found a campfire that I am pretty sure was placed by a player. It was in the middle of nowhere in dense woods and was right up next to a tree with no other art assets around it, it didn't look natural. When I opened it I found an event ticket.

How long do player placed campfires last? Could you go out to a remote location and place 20 then come back later and get a few tickets? Can we setup a goon campfire ticket farm?

Tickets seem like a (chance * time since last ticket) calculation, they can show up in any container you check, even ones you've checked 3 seconds prior. I don't think they can be farmed any faster but one could probably come up with a bot that checks the same container every 5 seconds.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

ModeSix posted:

So is the item spawning fixed yet? Is it actually possible to find poo poo in containers now, other than rotten meat in fridges?

They did a patch Friday that seemed to fix it for a while (or because the server restart made items plentiful again) but loot doesn't seem to respawning, especially not in containers. The stuff spawned in the open seems to be working but only if no one has been around it for a while. They are addressing it tomorrow according to the twitter.

In the meantime, play Battle Royale because that poo poo is fun. Scroll down to the B's in the server list and every couple of minutes you should see a Battle Royale server pop up.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Dvsilverwing posted:

Does it work the same way as Arma 2/3 BR? Everyone spawns right next to each other then runs away to find a gun/ammo and are then enclosed to a circle?

You spawn in the air with a parachute, and have slight control of where you land. Press 'S' or level off your descent at the end otherwise you'll hurt yourself on landing. Everyone spawns in different areas and can glide down to a decent radius. Houses are full of premium loot - AR15s, shotguns, pistols, camo clothing and backpacks. Sniper rifles are rare. It's really easy to load up almost instantly depending where you choose to go - cities are plentiful but lots of people will be in them.

After a certain amount of time (15 minutes?) the toxic gas is dropped. This won't hurt you at first, this shows up on the outskirts and you'll have to head inland before it starts hurting you. Then at about 5 minute intervals, the toxic gas pushes inward which in turn pushes people closer together to certain parts of the map. The "clear zone" isn't the same every game so you can't always hide at the mountain for example. I think eventually the gas covers the entire area to try to force a winner.

Random tips -

Find a car if you can. The toxic gas pushes inward faster than you can run, people with a car have a bit of an advantage even with the risk of being more noticeable.
Carry as many first aid kits and bandages as you can (tear up clothes you find to make bandages) The gas ticks about one health per second, and these heal you at about one per second which counteracts the gas for a time.
All doors are spawned shut at the beginning of the game. If you come across an open door in the beginning you may not be alone.
If you're in the gas and not sure which way to run, look for which way the hit marker is pointing and run away from it (keep hit marker at bottom). Alternately there should be a blue clearing in the sky indicating the "clear zone" direction.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

BR is free to early access players for the time being, doesn't use tickets yet. It also rewards all players with a mystery bag (usually, unless rewards bug out) just for playing.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Eh, they have to make money somehow when this game goes F2P at launch and I can't imagine people will keep spending money on airdrops when they realize they'll only actually get the airdrop about 5% of the time.

Finding tickets is pretty easy, and you win a ticket back for placing top 5 I believe which shouldn't be too tough when they fix the BR servers to only allow 32 people in instead of 200.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

M2tt posted:

Yep, they're definitely not there. I'll try again tonight and just hope it was a string of bad luck I guess.

Not passing judgment or anything but you are looking at the bottom left area of your inventory, correct?

I've definitely not gotten rewards before, but have always gotten at least 1 per 2 games played. I'd estimate I miss 1 out of 5, and I've even gotten one for dying in 195th place. BR gets pretty insane and dumb with 200 people.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Overdrift posted:

I feel like this is the world's best squirrel simulator. I spent all day hoovering up supplies and digging holes all over the map with caches of nuts food/ammo/weapons and I think I'm prepared to last out the winter now. :tbear:

There was a screenshot on Reddit the other day where some program was drawing neon pink wireframes over player-built objects, I've definitely lost some well-hidden loot in well-hidden locations, some people have a way of finding your secret holes. Basically be prepared to lose anything that isn't on your character!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Overdrift posted:

I think it'd be neat if you had to click the information signs scattered throughout the map to get that chunk of the map added, along with requiring a compass to pinpoint your position.

Does anyone know if they have any more maps planned, or if the existing one will be extended at all?

There was an interview with Smedley I believe where he said that the cookie cutters are basically done and they can extend the map as much as they want. I'm pretty sure the map will be enlarged before the F2P launch for sure, I don't know if we'll see anything in alpha (probably beta). This is kind of enforced with the way the roads end in the current map.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

UbiquitousFiend posted:

P-P-P-PATCH NOTES:

H1Z1 servers will come down at 12:00PM Pacific for roughly 2 hours.
Patch Notes:

•IEDs and Punji Sticks will no longer damage players on PvE servers

Hide yo kids, hide yo shacks, the axe man is comin

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Republicans posted:

I was playing on one of the servers they were testing on just now and loot is indeed highly plentiful, almost comedically so. Campsites had at least two hatchets or machetes on every table, warehouses were overflowing with pipes and sheet metal and you couldn't walk 100 yards without tripping over a hunting rifle or a pistol. They just shut the servers down to, presumably, put this on all of them. I welcome it, even though it'll probably be too good to last very long. I hope they make mega loot a server modifier because I'd love to play on those.

drat. I don't really think everyone should have guns within 10 minutes but I'm sure there will be a lot of tweaking back and forth to get a good balance. Problem is everyone has their own opinion on how plentiful loot (and specifically firearms) should be and it's probably best if they had a bunch of servers with various options. Not to mention people have wildly differing opinions on how many and how aggressive zombies should be, they could add zombie threat levels to certain servers too. Hire me Daybreak.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I haven't played BR since Friday but I had better luck using the server list instead of the button on top. It helps if you have a character already made on the BR server. That said it is hammered quite a bit and I'm surprised they haven't done more servers yet.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

You should never wait more than like 30 seconds if you get the BR queue. It'll either put you in the game by then or else you'll be waiting like 30 minutes for the next game on that server.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

DOOMocrat posted:

It sounds like rot remains the same but doors and walls have been made stronger.

Edit: Killed by fully geared guy within 10 minutes of the server coming up. Had helmet, car, shotgun, the works. Russian hacker. Oh my God.

To be fair, it's really easy to get fully geared when the servers are reset as loot is plentiful.

I think the "report last killer" on the death screen is hilarious, going to be so many rage-reports now!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

South posted:

Any suggestions on where to build a base? I was thinking around 2813, -2521in the north west, or 2687, 860 in the north center.

Bases are like big "free loot" signs to people with axes, craft a shovel and use dirt mound stashes if you want to store stuff. They're a little noticeable if you have an eye for them but if you can get one in a bush or something off the beaten path I don't know how a non-hacker would find it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Blazing Zero posted:

i don't play because cheaters still exist and dgc hasn't done anything about em

They do, but they don't go into detail much as to not reveal to the hackers how they're finding them. Reddit has some people in the cheater forums that screenshot people whining about getting banned and stuff. Most patches have some sort of anticheat stuff in it I believe.

That said, there will always be hackers and I'd be surprised if it was mostly-hacker free when this does become F2P.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Isn't every game in this genre a horrible, buggy, hacker filled pile of poo poo?
Did you miss that the game is made by SOE? :soe: exists for a reason.

The fact that an early access SOE zombie survival game isn't physically damaging your computer puts it ahead of my expectations.

Yeah pretty much. I think we had high hopes because SOE was behind it, and they do patch things fairly quickly, but who knows if games like this will ever be "final" and completed. It doesn't help that everyone has different expectations with what they want in these kind of games. I still have fun with the game, and BR, but I only play once or twice a week these days. And I have had barely any trouble with hackers, but that may be because I stick to first-person servers.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I don't even understand the point of this game. It's a zombie game with zero threat from zombies and the quests are just finding paper and running to some POI for loot.

However, it is fun to watch streamers just gently caress with people for a few minutes.

The game is pretty much staying alive. Players are more of a threat than zombies. Otherwise the game is griefing other people. Or the game is building a base. It's a sandbox and you can play it however you feel best.

Like I have one character named BlackberryFairy and all I do is run around spouting berry nonsense in a terrible Irish accent and give people blackberries. Then people kill me and loot me and they're like "wow why do you have nothing but 300 blackberries" and that's occasionally fun for me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I hopped into survival for the first time in probably a month and it's hilarious now. There are zombies EVERYWHERE and you basically die when your stamina runs out, or survive if you're able to get to an unreachable location. Once you get some gear and your bearings it's not that bad but Daybreak basically said "you want zombies? gently caress it" and now people are crying about not being able to do anything except run from zombies. I don't think this will make the final release but it is a refreshing change to have dangerous zombies in a zombie game.

Oh and while playing earlier today there was a system broadcast of a cheater being detected & banned, so it seems they have some sort of realtime cheat detection going on.

• Locked thread