Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have one of those reversible lodge grill thingies, smooth on one side and ridged or whatever on the other. If I expose one side to open flames on the stovetop does that gently caress the seasoning up for when I want to use the other side ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just noticed my old rear end pan from my grams is a Wagner.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

funkatron3000 posted:

Cross posting from the Post Your Recent Purchases thread

I bought a 150 year old 30 gallon cast iron cauldron for cooking a large amount of food for a large amount of people. It took almost a year to find since a lot of them have had holes drilled through the bottom and turned into rusted out planters. The metal underneath the crud on this one is in really great shape. :woop:

I'm in the middle of stripping off the old seasoning now, so far so good. The inside is as smooth as any Griswold, no pitting at all.

Your first thing to cook must be toads and eye of newt.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

What do you guys use for handle covers for your cast iron skillets?
Towel or potholder

When I worked at a chain restaurant we just had these little mini potholder sleeves that went over the fajita skillets

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I put mine on a charcoal grill with the lid closed for a while, then chiseled the outside crust off with a screwdriver. Didn't get it all off and I'll have to think of another way to do it or take it to my mom's house, I can't have a grill at my stupid apartment.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Heated up some frozen Totino's pizzas on my cast iron griddle. nice crust for a frozen pie. I broke my pizza stone but I'm not heartbroken anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I always gorged myself on crab rangoons and eggrolls because they get weird in the microwave. Now I just throw them in the oven on my cast iron skillet and they come out crispy and delicious

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You're all going to laugh at me, but I like my cornbread a little sweet, with corn kernels in there. Cakey, rather than crumbly.

Where I used to work we always had events catered from Famous Daves. Guess who would take a tray of those sweet corn muffins home?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

GreaseGunner posted:

I always try to fry fish and chips with my dutch oven but it never comes out right. Probably not the dutch ovens fault though. The only thing I've been able to fry successfully was some chicken and plantains.

Are you using a thermometer and the right temp oil? The right oil? Not crowding the pot?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

My friend told me she has one for bacon :shrug:
The guy that works the grill at the local greasy spoon I go to breakfast for has a big press he puts on the bacon. Comes out too flat IMO

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arcsech posted:

A handle snapped off of one of my Lodge cast iron skillets. That doesn't mean it's useless, but it does make it a bit awkward to work with. Anyone have any ideas on what would be best to use it for that would reduce the awkwardness?

Also, I assume I now need to season the site where the handle snapped off to keep it from rusting, right?

Flip it the gently caress over and use it for a pizza stone. You've now got an oven-only pan.

Hell just throw those $1 Totino's frozen pizzas inside it, fits perfectly. And make deep-dish pizza in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Every drat time I read this thread I want to make a pan of cornbread.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Don't worry about taking the black off, just scrub the hell out of it with a brillo pad. Some people clean the pans so well when they restore them that they turn completely gray. Those pans are very serviceable and should be great after seasoning and then cooking a bunch of stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

Get a plastic scraper and then wipe it with a lightly oiled paper towel.

For really tough stuff, put a little water in the pain and get it hot to soften up the crud, then hit it with the plastic scraper. Pour the water out, put it back on the heat until it's dry, then wipe it down with the lightly oiled paper towel

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy might be grilling out later today. I saw mention of putting vegetables into cast iron skillets and putting them in a grill. What do you guys recommend?

I say do it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I think that crazy guy that makes pizzas using the cleaning cycle measured some ovens at 700?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bible of NY Pizza at home in your oven

http://www.varasanos.com/pizzarecipe.htm

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Carbon steel will change color when you get it really hot. If you watch chinese wok seasoning videos, they will normally darken the entire pan before they begin putting on any oil. Assuming you washed it well enough to get off the machine oil, I would just heat over a flame and get the color more or less even, then season it as normal.

Yea, when you get the thing wash it really good then just heat it up on the stove and watch it change colors. Care of those pans is about the same as cast iron.

I bought this carbon steel pan - https://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-Carbon-2-Inch/dp/B000ZMA2J2

It's perfect for crepes and pancakes. It's not quite big enough to fry up more than say 3 eggs on it, and it's not deep enough for bacon, but it's a loving crepe pan. Use your 12" cast iron for that poo poo. I want to get a bigger one but I'm trying not to spend money and I'm out of room in my tiny kitchen for fun pans.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Gave my pan a little workout yesterday

My apartment and everything I own smells like loving chicken now. I gorged on cheesy cornbread before the meal so I was pretty full.

I lost some skin when I was breaking down the bird :( The whole point of fried chicken is the skin.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biscuit Joiner posted:

Flea markets, yard sales and estate auctions are a great place to look, it seems like you have a better chance a finding a good pan that isn't way overpriced.
Call up your aunts and mum and ask them if they have any old cast iron pans. Chances are they don't use them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I was trying to figure out why someone would put a slice of Kraft cheese on a pancake

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Taking a grinding wheel to a brand new pan seems silly to me

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone here got any forged skillets? Apparently they used to forge iron skillets in the past too, and not just cast them. The resulting pan is thinner and lighter, less porous. I think noticed while watching this youtube guy who does 18th century cooking and he used skillets that looked a bit off for being cast iron, basically too thin looking. Well they sell them and it says they're forged:
http://jas-townsend.com/6inch-fixed-handle-skillet-p-1478.html

Some day I'd like a forge and bang together my own skillet (no, seriously, I do have a long term goal of having a forge).

The point of cast iron is to be dense and heavy - but that might be a cool pan. I wonder how they compare to carbon steel

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TheQuietWilds posted:

If you live in a city you can often find these apts that have external venting hoods with serious fans in Chinatown. I guess Chinese cooking makes a metric poo poo ton of smoke so they build apt buildings to be able to deal with a ton of Chinese families there for obvious reasons.

Buddies wife is from China she doesn't understand why nobody builds a stove outside

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

YeahWhatevah posted:

Dutch oven question: Enameled or raw?

I've got a large Lodge frying pan that has been a workhorse and I've cared for it rather well, thus I'm not totally incompetent WRT cast iron. Still the amount of futzing makes an enameled finish more appealing at first glance. What I'm not going to do is drop over 100 bux on a fancy french deal, and I've heard the Lodge enameled are pretty fragile in the finish department. I've also heard that all enamel goes to hell eventually (I'd think it's impossible to keep checking from occurring and rather quickly just based on high school level physics.) So at second glance, the raw iron wins out, and rather strongly in my tightwad opinion.

I'd be using it for mostly no knead bread, soups, stews (likely tomato based), beans, and roasts. Are the bare iron ones as high maintenance as I've been lead to believe?
I got the enameled Emeril brand one for like $30 with a coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought the little plastic Lodge scrapers on Amazon for like two bucks. They have 'toothed' side that fits in the Lodge griddle pans as well

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Tj maxx had a lodge cast iron pizza pan for $12 so it's in my oven getting seasoned right now

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Simmering all day won't hurt my enameled cast iron, will it? I never really thought about it and don't see why it would, but then I'd hate to mess up something good because I overlooked something simple.
Pretty much everything I use mine for involves it sitting in the oven or on the stove for 4+ hours

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

moller posted:

I actually have an apartment with an electric range for once - Boo! But on the upside, I now have an electric oven and access to a self clean cycle. I am wondering however - the electric oven has a heating element that covers the "floor" and I'm led to believe you have to remove the oven racks for the self clean cycle or they warp.

So, uh, where do I put the cast iron I'm trying to strip?

That's how I clean my racks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

hogmartin posted:

I'm not a cast irontologist or anything, but when I had to rehab my skillet that looked like that I used copper wool. My reasoning was that it doesn't shed fibers, and is rougher and sturdier than steel wool. It was the kind that looks like a scouring pad made of coiled copper wire. It turned out pretty well, but I was just taking off old seasoning and some surface rust.

Chore boy

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought my brother a Lodge cast iron pan on Amazon since it was like $20.

It arrives and it's a 10" model and not 12". That's what I get for drunk Amazon Christmas shopping. Will he be fine? I have a 12" Griswold that was our Grandmothers, the only downside to this 10" pan is it might not fit a 5lb chicken or 2lbs of bacon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

my turn in the barrel posted:

Lodge makes scrapers specifically for the grill pans that will make this much easier.

I have these but it can still be a pain in the butt to clean them. But I only use the grill pans for 2 things: steaks small enough to fit in them and vegetables that I want grill marks on

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

So what do you do, sit the skillet on the element?

Some ovens have a hook in the ceiling for hanging meats over a drip pan

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That carbon steel skilllet is awesome for crepes and pancakes but you can do eggs on it too.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Drifter posted:

I'd actually suggest you buy a cast iron skillet (I don't know what they're called, the long thing that you cook lots of pancakes on) and lay it across two burners to try and even the heat out.
I have one of those and you get two visible hot spots on it, one for each butter.

I just put my cast iron pan of bacon in the oven

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wilford Cutlery posted:

"Look, kids! Another convoy of semis!"

"Ooooh!, a FedEx triple trailer!"

There are far more interesting sights at highway rest areas.

:a2m:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

How do you keep your round cast iron griddles well seasoned? I used to have mine very well seasoned but I never cooked anything besides tortillas and eggs on it and eggs stick a lot now. I'd rather not strip it and trying to do a random coat doesn't seem to help

I use mine for tortillas only - for1-2 eggs and pancakes I bought a carbon steel crepe pan, badass. I lost it somewhere though.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

generally they're sized for 2 stove burners so 6-8 pancakes

Do you make pancakes for ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ColdPie posted:

It's fine, just don't drop it. It might get scratched a little, but who cares, cooking surfaces are meant to be used, and ranges have pretty low resale value so whatever. Consider replacing it sometime.

Have one in my house now, had one two houses ago, it's fine.