Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Every time that's posted, why don't people just scratch the poo poo out of a cooking top? That's what it's for, almost always a rental, and it's not as if you are keying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Dude's just an amazing tenant if he'd do that because of some scratches.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Drifter posted:

edit: depending on the pans, you may need to strip the factory season off. Factory seasoning can be stripped with warm soapy water and a bristle brush, otherwise you need to bust out steel wool or sandpaper or electrolysis.
Factory seasons are done with a soybean oil, which is good for, I believe, the same reason flaxseed oil (drying oil). I don't think there's a reason to remove it. If you do go with flax, or really any oil, make sure it's edible.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ra-amun posted:

So is good seasoning important for cooking shakshuka in cast iron? Every cookbook and image online usually showcases it cooked in cast iron pans. I, on the other hand, can't simmer anything for too long in my pan without it ending up tasting metallic and ruining the dish. I can fry potatoes and scramble eggs just fine, its just anything involving decent amounts of liquids tastes like an iron supplement before its even done cooking.

Honestly I don't take great care of my pan, just a water wash or with a small bit of a soap, drying on the stove with a bit of an oil wipe down but I sometimes leave it to sit sometimes. Now that I think about it though, I don't think it really has any seasoning on the cooking surface since it dries off whitish grey instead of shiny black.
It is more than other items, tomatoes are acidic enough that you don't want to be cooking with them a ton with a fresh/poor seasoning.

I also don't really take care of my pans as well, I'll just use paper towel and some water to wipe things out. A bit of salt if that fails, then a thin layer of oil brought up to smoking on occasion. Mine only goes white/grayish if I have the burner on high and have preheated my pan for steaks in the oven, going gray from just drying off is probably not good.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Just use it, it's a new pan. The stickiness will go away after you build more seasoning (the extra oil won't stick!) There's no reason to use a moist cloth wiping out the oil, I use a paper towel to spread the oil in my pan before an oven nap.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Eh I'd just start with a new pan. You could roast or use it on the grill

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It'd be better? You should either use flax or a neutral oil though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My best seasoned pan has had grease fire on top of a too hot camp fire and came out better for it. You'd kill your seasoning either purposefully or by being super negligent and letting it heat up to 800+ degrees for a good period of time on the burner.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Goatfather posted:

800+ is entirely reasonable for a pittsburgh style steak and not negligent at all :colbert: but thats like 10 mins on the heat
if you're going for black and blue I sugggest a charcoal chimney with a small but quality grate over it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Imo iron for the bear flavor.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Crosspostin

Mr. Wookums posted:

So the new lodge griddle. It's slanted which explains the ribbing. Only realized that after looking at the pics.

These are meant to reach out the millennials like myself, from their marketing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

efb

flax is good too, but you'll probably find them in the foo-foo italian section where the balsamic is at as well (referencing Giant eagle). Other than the initial seasoning, the type of oil doesn't really matter and imo the initial is only important to give you marginally more leeway to not gently caress it up in the first week.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Food grade flax does not need to be refrigerated, linseed does.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm not sure how well that large of a hunk of iron would cool, but no, the milling would just be potentially smoother than a sand or other mold. You'd also be able to get a few more pans out of 8 cubic feet.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can also get some shortening, a paper towel and season it on the stovepipe.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

bread is better raw as 500-550 degree ovens are not friendly to enamel. Enamel is better for your stews, get both. The lodge combo cooker is a godsend for bread.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

read the reviews, it will rust

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

that's just like stovetop vs oven mannn

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Depends on what you use it for. Lot of bread making? The Le Crueset will be worth it. Just braises? doesn't matter. Their enamel is generally better quality as well as the lid handles.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think the camera just didn't capture red.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

a 12" portable burner is pretty drat big. Maybe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A1H33FA/ref=psdc_13397451_t2_B00DP6BJE2

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

you want it cooler near the top

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Use lye if you wanna chemical it up.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If it's like my glass top you're getting seasoning on the bottom of the pan from incidental oil splatter. Lol rubber mallet on cast iron.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

do you need to grease up the silicone molds like metal?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

chastity belt, be sure to season the lock

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

generally they're sized for 2 stove burners so 6-8 pancakes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Do you make pancakes for ants

waffles tbh

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

7.5 is loving big for cooking alone & depressed tho

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cast iron and induction is sorta a hard thing for constant searing in my experience and I've had similar results. When you get the cast iron up to > 600 degrees or w/e, which you were with the initial steaks, induction hobs turn off. The cast iron holds the heat well enough that the hob just won't turn back on. Heat doesn't go through cast iron very well so it could have been insulated, just likely not by the fond.

I've been semi-successful avoiding this issue by using a poo poo-ton of oil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I think people are too worried about it. Sometimes it'll just look spotty after a food. Keep it going unless it rusts imho.

The goon with the non cleaning roommate it's no different then leaving poo poo in any pan really.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What's your method? Get some oil on the pan, cold is fine, then try like hell to scrub it out. Oven it at 500 for an hour. Repeat that a few times.

You could also just do crisco on the stovetop instead of getting fancy with oils and repeatedly crisco > wipe it the hell out > burner to smoke > cool > repeat

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure it's rust? Could be food bits like you'd see in the spoon zone.

I'd try and sear more things in it to get that splatter and poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Are you getting smoke? Serious eats may have you using thr wrong oil for just 220c, their site makes my eyes bleed now. Shortening would probably work well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You probably need more heat before dropping the eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You can eventually get enough practice where that may not even happen. You're likely turning the chorizo early