Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I was always told that this would happen if the cast iron was even made aware of the ceramic cooktop's existance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

feelz good man posted:

I just picked this up today for thirty bucks. Aluminum is superior for cooking with in almost every way. Heat distribution, cost, preheat time, no having to season, not being a huge pan sperg, weight, you name it.

Ha, you cant fool us with your teeny tabasco. You purchased a perfectly ordinary sized pan for ordinary pan money. I am not jelly at all.

AT ALL.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 27, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

niss posted:

Bourdain looks like he's lost a lot of weight since his last tv series I saw him on.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I was working on my sister's wedding present today, a small mystery cast iron pan I picked up for free from my aunt. It seems to be in okay shape, except for the millimeters of baked on crud. No fire I had access to could remove it.

Hand sanding was not doing it, so I busted out the oscillating tool and dremel. And with some careful, dirty work, look what I uncovered.

It's a Small Block Griswold #3. So happy :3:

Took it down to bare metal. It's rinsed, dried, and oiled and ready to season tomorrow. It's gonna be perfect for my sister and her husband for pot pies and cornbread.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 28, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hello darling.

Perfect size for pot pie.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

w00tmonger posted:

Want to treat my wife to some sort of pot pie or meaty casserole dish. Anyone got a recommendation for a recipe? I have a 12 inch cast iron skillet

Chicken Pot Pie

You will need:
Root Veg: Onion, Potato, Carrot or Celery depending on preference.
Bacon Drippings or ExtraVirgin Olive Oil.
Other fresh or defrosted frozen veg of choice such as: Kernel Corn, cut green beans, peas, ect.
Cooked Chicken
Chicken Stock
Whole Milk
Corn Starch
Salt + Pepper
Pie crust top (I use half of a http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/07/easy-pie-dough-recipe.html)

Cut up onion, potato (small cubes), and celery/carrots. Sautee in Oven Safe Pan Of Choice at medium heat on a blob of bacon drippings or Olive Oil for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes can be mashed between fingers but not too soft. Add other veg.
Pre-Heat the oven to 425.
Add chicken stock and splash of milk to pan (Not covering all the veg, just soaking most of it). Add cooked chicken shredded or cut into bite-sized pieces. Add a tablespoon of Corn Starch. Stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer to thicken (about 5 minutes). Roll out pie crust (Keep it cold and covered with flour for easy non-stick handling!), top skillet with pie crust. Crimp and add slits to prevent poofing and to make it pretty.
Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until crust is lightly golden brown delicious.

Harvest Shepard's Pie

You will need
Root Veg: Onion, Carrot or Celery
Ground Beef
Other fresh or defrosted frozen veg of choice such as: Kernel Corn, cut green beans, peas, green and red pepper, ect.
Salt+Pepper
Sweet Potatos (1 or 2 for small pan, several for large pan, always make one more sweet potato then you think you need)
Butter
Paprika

Cook whole sweet potatoes till fork-tender. (Microwave is fine) Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
Sautee onions and carrot/celery in lightly greased Oven Safe pan until onions are translucent. Add ground beef, cook till most of the pink is out. Add other veg. Stir and remove from heat. Salt and pepper to taste.
In separate bowl, quickly mash sweet potatoes and butter together until incorporated (Do not overwork! Just needs a quick mash). Spoon out and spread evenly on top of cooked meat+veg. Dust top with paprika. Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until peaks of potatoes brown.

Amounts left rough to account for varying pan sizes. I use an 8 and 5 inch cast iron myself for smaller family meals. a 12inch will make a feast for 6 or 8.

These are kitchen tested and approved by hungry farm workers and delicate nibbler family members alike. Both are great with sriracha or hot sauce on top.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 6, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SubponticatePoster posted:

Is that the same pan? It's fuckin' beautiful.

Yep! Cleaned up beautiful. Shows how far gone a pan can be and restored.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Caddrel posted:

How did you season it? I freshly seasoned a pan a few weeks ago and it's not nearly as black.

Bacon fat and half an hour in a hot grill (like 500f).

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Saget IRL posted:

If you stripped it down far enough that it was a shiny silver again, then it'll take longer for it to get black.

What surprised me is that I did take mine to bare shiny metal, and I got that finish I showed you in one round of seasoning on the grill. It was still pretty soft though, scraped away some on the handle when I bumped it into a corner. Repeated gentle use has toughened it up considerably.

I find letting your cast iron cool down veerrryyy slowly helps. I just fire up the grill, pop in the greased pan upside-down, let it be at temperature for half an hour, then kill the heat and let it stay in the warm grill until completely cool. I do the same thing when heat-drying.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 6, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My sister took home her pans today. I really should have said she had to wait until she was married to get her wedding present. Goodbye, Griswold 3.

I did, however, pick up a replacement 6 3/4 incher to clean up, and a beautiful little hammer finish example that's ashtray size. Into the rust bath with them next weekend.

Funkatron, I love your cauldron. Can you explain the electrolysis in detail? I don't think I'd want to go the lye cleaning route, but busting crud with the dremel scares me a bit, I don't want to accidentally ruin a nice pan. Is the acid anything more exotic then vinegar?

edit: Oh, looking it up, it's a Sodium Carbonate (washing soda) bath. Interesting.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 11, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

funkatron3000 posted:

Fire! I may need to get a higher output burner, this is just what they had at Home Depot. Everyone online seems to like the "bayou" brand burners, so I may invest in one.

Bayou is what I have. I got the cheap one (Bayou Classic Single Burner Patio Stove) , and for the love of god, SPRING FOR A WINDSCREEN. It goes out if you breathe on it. It goes out if you overgas it trying to keep it lit in a light breeze. Windscreen fixes this. Other then that, super sturdy, great capacity, pretty fine control.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 16, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You dont have to give them a scrub other then to maybe get whatever factory dust or contaminants might be on them. Maybe give them a quick rinse, then heat dry. Then cook bacon! Factory seasoning aint devil or nuthin.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I really need to stop buying cast iron, 28 pieces so far.

Never. That stuff will be gold post-apocalypse. The color is amazingly funky as well.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
[quote="funkatron3000" post="443560733"

And now it sits on my desk at work.
[/quote]

Oh man I want a Griswold pup so bad. I'd even take a cheap repro ( if sold as a repro and cheap)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Planet X posted:

- I asked previously about stripping cast iron. Oven on cleaning cycle out of the question because it'll stink up the house and our oven doesn't have a clean cycle. A few recommended putting them in the grill for a while. I was going to consider the lye method to strip them before reseasoning, but I can't find regular lye at the store. I figured I'd get some off of amazon, some gloves and goggles, and put it all in a bag and let it work its magic. Anyone done this?

I have not. I have used the vinegar method though, and that worked pretty good.Mind that you don't leave it in there too long though or else you'll be able to SEE it rusting once you take it out of the soak. It's actually quite interesting.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CrazySalamander posted:

Kenji et al at seriouseats suggest a waffle iron as a pizza reheating alternative- anyone tried his method and the cast iron one? Thoughts?

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2014/01/leftover-pizza-waffle-iron-delicious-crispy-gooey-cheese-stuffed-snack.html

But then you loose the crust. That is unacceptable. Toaster 4 lyf

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pile of Kittens posted:

Is there a dremel attachment I can use to sand this more quickly without cutting too far into the metal?

Get a few of these
http://www.dremel.com/en-US/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=502

You will eat up about one or two a pan though. And get HELLA dirty. Wear clothes you dont care about, gloves, face mask, and goggles. Do this outside on a surface you can easily vaccum, rinse down, or not give a gently caress about. Then strip that bitch to silver. Keep the tip moving and do light multiple passes.

It is super satisfying to de-rust a forgotten pan and bring back an antique. Sorry about your dad.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spankmeister posted:

I suppose they'd be good for keeping steaks, chops and burgers flat

I too have the problem of dead meat rising from the pan as it is cooked, then walking the mortal earth to feast on BRAINS

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Tell her if she does it again, you're going to use the wire brush on her until she's clean too.
Make her help you reseason it. THE EDUCATION STARTS
:fyh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

I thought they were shaped like electric guitars at first

Why can't it be both? Make cornbread for us in them. Or a giant one-sided taiyaki.

Also, lovely granite.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't own a toaster oven, but I might buy one to test your theories. Alternatively, I will try taking a shower once in a while as my oven preheats.

You don't need running appliances in order to take a shower, protip. Some showers can even run during power outages!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Goatfather posted:

800+ is entirely reasonable for a pittsburgh style steak and not negligent at all :colbert: but thats like 10 mins on the heat

I thought you meant the steak being on for 10 mins and I was horrified. I know pittsburgh has strange tastes, but guys, come on, you'll save a ton by just eating the charcoal straight from the bag. And it's vegan!

(Pittsburgh style is great if you trust yourself or the restaurant to pull it off)

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Massasoit posted:

My room mate was soaking my pan... Glad I noticed before I went to bed, going to make bacon in the am

Smack him with it a few times to drive the point home

DO NOT LET THIS PAN STAY WET

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bartlebee posted:

Had an early Thanksgiving at my folks' place on Sunday and found what appeared to be a 10 - inch Griswold cast iron on with a lid.

Holy poo poo a LID?! You have been blessed by the cast iron gods.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Carl Killer Miller posted:

What do you consider as high acid stuff?

:lsd:

Anything more tart then a chicken or eggplant parmesan.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

It's hot, and you can burn yourself.

I was trying to come up with a clever way of saying that, but yeah. You can burn the poo poo out of yourself. Great for removing fingerprints though!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

rndmnmbr posted:

Just don't soak it, dry it on heat and oil it, and don't stick it in the loving dishwasher, and we're golden.

Pretty much. Cast iron is that awesome old beater truck you can hoon around in and fix pretty good with string and duct tape. Just remember to top the oil off and change it's plugs, and it will kick poo poo around forever.

On that note, I want an old Ford F100

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Grandma's moving into assisted living, and Dad saved me her old Griswold 9 and 5 pans. In perfect shape, shiny and glorious. Made a cute little Apple Ginger Walnut pie in the 5 tonight to say 'Thanks, Nan!'

I must say, the 5 is probably my favorite size. Not too heavy, perfect 4-person pie size, suitable for doing eggs and omelettes for 1.

Edit: THE PANS ARE NOT HERS, WILL NEVER BE HERS, AND WILL NEVER BE ABUSED AGAIN. She took it, and threw it in the sink full of corningware, and filled it with water. Thank God my mom found it.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 1, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Came home to a house full of dead smoke detectors, a very nervous dog, and a red-hot skillet.

Oh my god poor dog. You give that dog some treats right now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Cook the pancakes in the bacon pan. Trust me on this.

Also put beer in your pancake mix instead of milk

I'm not kidding do it

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

thats what a microwave is for if its streaky bacon

:getout:

I enjoy pan frying bacon because nothing quite gets the blood pumping in the morning like oil splatter. And nothing quite stops it like the quarter pound of bacon you eat to 'test' how the frying is coming along.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pubic Lair posted:

Knowing more about cast Iron I've started buying anything that's cheap and says USA. Today I did pretty good.

The lid is probably worth more then the Dutch oven. Fantastic find! So jealous.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oven cleaning days are best saved for nice cool dry 'air out the house's weather. Because you will be doing both. Might as well hang the blankets out too to freshen up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

spankmeister posted:

I use the leftover pieces of skin to check the oil temperature.

I've only got so much leftover skin since the accident.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I just fry the sun flowers and Coco nuts from scratch, minimal processing required. Then the nutrients stay in the pan, and it feels sooooooo much better

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

coyo7e posted:

Don't eat this unless you're a loving 10 year-old kid in a boy scout camp-out. That poo poo is foul

It's dump cake, and it tastes fine. Good way to feed a bunch of people something sweet in the woods.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Dremel 1in Rust Remover bit. And a dremel.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I already took that advice, I was told to stop that.

Have you tried vinegar

(But for real, it looks like you're getting flash rust from the moisture in the vinegar. Heat dry the pan and sand with a scouring pad to remove, then warm and oil the panto start seasoning)

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 23, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Same Great Paste posted:

Could someone kindly link the cheapest tool I could get away with buying that is capable of actually grinding a new lodge's surface flat? I'd like to mod a lodge as a christmas gift.

Right now I only have a dremmel and I somehow doubt it'd be the most reasonable option. Thanks!

Dremel with a nice broad polishing wheel bit works fine, follow it up with some fine sandpaper. That or a palm sander. Wear goggles and a mask though! Wish I had the cast-iron selfie I took after refinishing mine, I looked like Anakin after the pod-race.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

my turn in the barrel posted:

The taste was really good but I don't think I had a thick enough steak or I needed to scale back to time as it was overcooked in the middle. I also didn't plan on cooking it this way and let it warm up to room temp before deciding it was way too cold to grill outside. Having never done it I just followed the recipe I found online and did 10 minutes a side. If I do it again I would leave the steak chilled and do 7 minutes a side.

Sad, but it happens. That's why we experiment! TRY AGAIN