Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Bob Saget IRL posted:

Burgers Probably the best burgers I've ever had was cooking them in my skillet. Using fresh ground 90/10 meat and grill them in bacon grease (this is why bacon great, but don't tell my cardiologist). I'll use a med-high setting, and move the pan half off the burner. Then, I'll just move the burger from the hot side to the low side (and flip often), repeating until I get a nice, crusty, medium-rare burger.

For burgers, I like to follow the advice from http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/the-burger-lab-smashed-burgers-vs-smashing-burgers.html

Basically get the pan screaming hot, then press the burger hard BEFORE any of the fat has a chance to turn to liquid. You get an insanely good crust without sacrificing any patty juiciness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Nettle Soup posted:

Tonights dinner is skillet pizza
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

Made 3 of them for a quick dinner, it worked alright!

Went back to the market on Saturday and found the third missing counterpart of those two saucepans I picked up a few weeks back, it's much rustier than the others but still could be worse. I should take a photo of them all cleaned up.

Just did this and worked amazingly well.

I must've done something wrong because the crust was still floppy after taking it out from under the broiler, but just threw it back on the stovetop on medium until it crisped up. Really loving good.

Hands down the best homemade pizza i've ever pulled off. Tried so hard to do the deep dish one from earlier but ir just never turned out (my fault I'm sure).

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Important thing is getting all the rust. If some old seasoning remains at that point, no worries.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

The Goatfather posted:

Yeah I did pretty much this but put a few layers on to be safe. There are no guides in Google re: damage control when you gently caress up the seasoning a little but it's not rusty or anything.

Sometimes for searing steaks I get it as hot as the sun over a huge ring burner on max and I'm thinking I might have crossed the threshold from high heat to clean cycle and harmed the seasoning some time over the summer. Is that possible? If so I need another cast iron skillet because I'm not gonna stop cooking steaks that way

Yes it's very possible, I've done it twice when trying to literally follow the instruction "as hot as possible" inadvisably on a bitchin' ir stovetop.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

whatupdet posted:

Does this look the same to you guys as it does to me? To me it looks like I burnt off the seasoning, there goes 6 coats down the drain. I thought the seasoning would stand very high temperatures but apparently not high on my burner.

Welcome to cast iron! I made the exact same mistake - as others have already said, even though some recipes say to get the pan as hot as possible they don't mean it literally. Extremely loving frustrating to learn the hard way.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Could someone kindly link the cheapest tool I could get away with buying that is capable of actually grinding a new lodge's surface flat? I'd like to mod a lodge as a christmas gift.

Right now I only have a dremmel and I somehow doubt it'd be the most reasonable option. Thanks!

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Grinding pans really is simple, anyone thinking of trying it just go for it.

Bought a cheap b&d angle grinder from amazon. Started my first pan with a standard metal grinding wheel - worked great but not happy with the ridges it was leaving (maybe I have poo poo technique). Finished that pan with a 50 grit grinding and polishing wheel. Results were everything I could possibly want.

Tried a second pan just with the latter, and it did a great job of smoothing the peaks but it'd take a long rear end time to get all the little divots. So I figured gently caress it it's mostly smooth and seasoing will fill the divots.

Pros / cons the second pan ended up more uniformly flat since less material was taken off with an unskilled handtool, but if you want a mirror surface you'll probably want to start with the serious business wheel.

They're both oven-seasoning now. If they turn out wildly unexpectedly I'll edit. Otherwise grind baby grind - and thanks for all the tips. And yes my wife did get a kick out of the coalminer look.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I'm angry at you for posting that because previously I had no idea how badly I needed an induction cooktop. Damnit my cupboards are already full :(

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Been looking through amazon for a little bit and cant find one that says it will heat a 12" pan evenly across the whole pan, which would be the main reason I'd want one. Are the reviews on crack, or is this an unreasonable ask? Can anyone recommend one that will?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Seasoning that flakes off is, in my experience, a result of applying the seasoning too thickly (too thick for a single layer). Wipe the fat onto a warm skillet, then wipe it all off. You should not be able to see any depth to the fat that remains on there, it should just have a sheen from it.

Just to chime in here. My wife got a 6" for Xmas - I ground it smooth and did the standard oven-bake seasoning. She had read about how well Flax polymerized so was excited to use that. First or second usage, nearly a third of it just sheeted off. Which is what led me this page/quote from serious eats.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-season-cast-iron-pans-skillets-cookware.html posted:

* For the record, we've found that the often-suggested flaxseed oil produces a fast layer of seasoning, but it has a tendency to flake off with use. We don't recommend it.

Have since reseasoned with canola, no issues so far.

Just an anecdote / I'm no expert.

E: Note that both times I baked it, I did so upside down. So if my issue was too much oil ... not quite sure how that'd happen.

Same Great Paste fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 13, 2017

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I bought an angle grinder for $40 and sanded smooth the bottom of my 8" Lodge skillet. And guess what? I decided it wasn't worth it. My 10" Lodge skillet was pebbly but over a couple years it got enough seasoning on it that the bumps were smoothed over and nothing sticks in the first place.

Yeah, pretty much. I still do it for every new pan I get (and mostly give away) because I just enjoy doing it - but the IDEA of a smooth surface SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD make much more of a difference than it does practically.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

did you use a flap wheel? my lodge lost some of the seasoning again and i think I want to just smooth it down.

Yes, flap wheel is the way to go.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

40 or 80 grit?

I did 40. The result against cast iron is really nice. Can't imagine the point of going finer.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

I'm no expert, but when I ground flat my lodge it was definitely a weird orange-red after doing a fresh seasoning. Just kept cooking with it, turned out fine. Since you already said it's not tacky I'm going to guess you'll be fine too.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

BrianBoitano posted:

Has anyone done the whole "sand all the cast mold texture smooth as butter before seasoning" thing? Lots of people online talking about that being a huge factor in non-stickiness

I’ve done it with 3 pans. Honestly a good seasoning on a regular bumpy pan isn’t worse. It’s just easier to get there with a sanded pan. Minor negative being that one time my first initial layer of seasoning just sheeted off of the sanded pan. So it isn’t a pure win. If I bought a new pan I’d probably still grind it down just because I already have the tools but I wouldn’t rebuy an angle grinder only for this.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry for a stupid question, but is there a secret to using a cast iron skillet with an induction burner?

From what I can tell, even when setting it to a moderate ~350F, the middle heats up crazy hot very fast which seems to just vaporize my seasoning. Eventually it settles down and mostly evens out at the desired temperature.

What am I doing wrong? It's very frustrating to have mostly a beautiful pan who's center is constantly getting trashed.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Bought a new cast iron skillet (based on recommendations in this very forum, actually).

It's very much not smooth in the least:

https://i.imgur.com/Ug8Nd8R.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PcySXW2.jpg

(Those spots that look a bit like rust might be leftover oil from my attempts to season?)

Should I try to sandpaper / polish it? If so, what's the best way to go about that?

You COULD take an angle grinder to it to make the bare metal nice and smooth. I've done this to three pans and the difference isn't worth it.

Over time, with usage, the seasoning you build will become smooth.

Mantle posted:

Also just cook with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

How good an idea is it for me to buy a new cast iron pan then sand the inside smooth? Any reason not to go as smooth as I can get it prior to seasoning? My current nicely-seasoned pan is really quite rough.

I’ve done it three times. No reason not to beyond your own comfort / skill / tools.

E: 3 different pans :)