Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
A while back somebody was asking about the Touhou fighters in the Touhou thread, so I might as well post my response.

BlitzBlast posted:

IaMP is a much better designed fighting game, with more emphasis on meter management, zoning, and actually doing combos. It is also a slow as hell game because if the players know what they are doing the game turns into "both sides spam bullets and graze like crazy, occasionally somebody manages to land a combo", but that is sort of the point.

SWR/HT is more exciting to watch, but in many ways it's a vastly inferior game. Character movesets were heavily trimmed down, the super meter is now tied to a randomized, finite resource, and basically all the new systems are awful. The randomized weather is loving stupid (stuff like "characters can fly twice as long" is alright, but stuff like Typhoon, Sandstorm, Diamond Dust or the original version of River Mist completely change the mechanics and can utterly gently caress you over), the randomized decks make character customization a crapshoot more than anything (want to use your new moves? Hope you draw the card!), the Limit system was supposed to be an anti-infinite system but actually ends up punishing combo-reliant characters because the damage scaling is ridiculous, and since bursts are also tied to your deck (for some infathomable reason), the only responses to pressure or corner combos is to get really good at blocking. Oh, and hope that it's not Sunshower because haha. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it is totally worse than IaMP in every single way.

Also it has the worst arrange of Night Falls in existence.

Fast forward to HM, and you're basically looking at two different games. The original version of HM was horrible. Like, they straight up released the first working version they had or something because half the game was missing, poo poo was slow as gently caress, and Koishi could crash the game at will. The full game, on the other hand, is basically SSB in the air. I wish I could say more about it, but I really can't because it also has the worst netplay in the series. It's actually kind of hilarious because for a while it worked perfectly (though it would eventually desync), but then Tasofro did something and now it's utterly worthless for anything non-local. I honestly don't know how they managed to fix and then break netplay, but Tasofro always aim to impress I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Did they ever fix that hilariously awful sounding hit SFX CP introduced?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Oh wait until you hear about what Ragna actually looks like at the end of CP.

I dunno man, there's something great about Ragna jumping from losing limbs to just losing his entire body. Keep on getting shat on, you crazy only-decent-person-in-the-entire-game.

I'm just waiting for Jin to get his own magical girl transformation.

• Locked thread