Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
yukari is the real mexican revolutionary because she's not afraid to raid across the border or hijack trains

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
The Hopeless Masquerade English patch is now complete thanks to the folks at shrinemaiden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXkdKXgw54

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

can't wait to play the game with five seconds of lag during netplay, but now in english

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I still love how Tasofro patched out proper netplay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
No offense to the hardworking people who flipped the text bubbles sideways and all that other annoying technical stuff (I mean that seriously, it sounds really annoying), but the font they chose is terrible. I wouldn't call myself a font person, but I just can't stand it.

Also for the endings it seems like they used the crappy 5 minute translations I did for some forum somewhere. Which I guess makes sense since I'm not sure there were any translators involved in the project at all: they just copy-pasted stuff from the wiki. I mean, they say as much in the release post, and frankly I think the consistency is probably a good thing, but really? No one else did a better translation of those endings at any point?

I suppose that's more my fault than theirs though.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 8, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I remember fixing up a few translations for the story on the wiki, but yeah, I never went through the endings since those aren't available in such a format.

Gerty
Jun 11, 2013

by XyloJW
i voted for taoism

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
Moving on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L-8eKKVXYU

Also, tangentially related, but there's going to be a doujin game event in Akihabara tomorrow called the Digital Game Expo. http://digigame-expo.org/

ZUN will be there and him, along with a bunch of other circles (RebRank, Cross Eaglet, Platine Dispositif, etc.), are going to be holding something called the "Shooting Game Caravan" which is a score attack between the games of about 11 different circles, some of which will be creating unique games or variations of existing games. Playing more than 7 games gets you a little present, and the top three scorers at the end will be further awarded. http://endless-shirafu.com/stg_caravan_2014/

ZUN's game is one of those to be thrown together in the space of 48 hours, so it's likely to be something reusing assets from Touhou games.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
And coincidentally, ZUN just tweeted about his contribution to the Caravan, "Danmaku Amanojaku (ISC) Gold Rush": https://twitter.com/korindo/status/533502892678733824

It'll feature a 10th cheat item that "destroys bullets" so it'll probably be heavy on bullet-cancelling. Also, he says it was meant to be an easy game made purely for score attacking.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
Flyers for Touhou 14.5 sighted, with artwork by Moe Harukawa, and subtitle "Urban Legend in Limbo".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The flyers in question:

Seems like a spooooky game.

Speaking of Marisa being on the cover of things:

Apparently it's part of a big Touhou art exhibition in an official art gallery.

leather fedora posted:

And coincidentally, ZUN just tweeted about his contribution to the Caravan, "Danmaku Amanojaku (ISC) Gold Rush": https://twitter.com/korindo/status/533502892678733824

It'll feature a 10th cheat item that "destroys bullets" so it'll probably be heavy on bullet-cancelling. Also, he says it was meant to be an easy game made purely for score attacking.
I think this is the first time there's been an event only sorta challenge game since PCB I think. There was a version specifically made with some alterations to Phantasm I think.

HGH fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 16, 2014

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am disappointed the next Touhou game is not about the Battle of the Bands that will inevitably strike Gensokyou.

Also, that title reminds me more of one of the Music-CD's, not a new game. I wonder how it'll play.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's got Marisa front and centre and it's focused on ghosts.

Bones, feeling, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

It's got Marisa front and centre and it's focused on ghosts.

Bones, feeling, etc.

Marisa's in your standard "telling a spooky story" pose, framed by cliche Japanese horror props, and the art is being done by the artist of Forbidden Scrollery. Probably about collecting stories in some sense.

Kinda interesting that a series about youkai hasn't had an entry about ghost stories before, now that I think about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I am down with Kosuzu being the extra stage boss.

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010
I'm guessing that there's nothing on there indicating a collaboration with Tasofro/another developer, so best guess is it'll be a Fairy Wars-ish shorter shooting game made by Zun with Forbidden Scrollery portraits, unless he's decided to branch out on genre a bit.

I guess the numbering also confirms that a Touhou 14.8 is being planned, or at least planned before a Touhou 15.

ikaragu fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 16, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That's a point. How popular was SWR and HM with the Japanese crowd, compared with the regular shooters?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't think it's possible to know for sure, but there's a graph of Japanese netplay stats that tracked daily active users who submitted their games.

Basically HM killed Touhou netplay. What was left of it anyway.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 16, 2014

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Too many nerds preferred Byakuren's idle animation the gripping single-player plot, methinks.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

WarpedNaba posted:

Too many nerds preferred Byakuren's idle animation the gripping single-player plot, methinks.

Maybe people just thought it was a PoS.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

People eventually get bored of games and move on, and Touhou is niche enough that a five year old fighting game in the franchise isn't gonna have an influx of new players. Frankly it's surprising Hisoutensoku was as popular as it was and lasted as long as it did.

Either way I'm glad toilet hand ghosts will finally be represented in 2hu

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Either way I'm glad toilet hand ghosts will finally be represented in 2hu

Nue had a spellcard about them in Double Spoiler.
It's horribly bugged and almost always causes replay desynchs.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Wait, Gensokyo has western style toilets and plumbing? Or is the toilet a ghost as well?

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
How good are the fighting games, anyway? Like, from both a casual and a competitive perspective. I've been kinda interested in them because their button inputs seem easier to understand than most examples of the genre.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

HGH posted:

Basically HM killed Touhou netplay. What was left of it anyway.

I'm not seeing that at all in the graph you posted? There's a steady decline in 12.3 over time, but 13.5 doesn't seem to have any effect on the small playerbase that was still around.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Terry van Feleday posted:

How good are the fighting games, anyway? Like, from both a casual and a competitive perspective. I've been kinda interested in them because their button inputs seem easier to understand than most examples of the genre.

Here's a couple of posts from the Fighting Games thread on IaMP vs. SWR/Soku:

animatorZed posted:

Checking in with the monthly reminder that IaMP is better than <insert currently discussed game here>.

Short combos, pressure strings with bullet cancels and high jump cancels are open ended and varied, the best dash input scheme, one of the best / most interesting meter systems with the spirit bar (recharges quickly, opponents can do direct damage too it, is utilized by nearly everything) that forces a really interesting pacing to matches, first of the caster netplay games to get rollback based netcode.

Ground combos are usually very short. Most bnb's and high damage combos are based on situational air to air setups, and one of the primary goal of pressure strings and ground hits is to try and set up these situations instead of directly opening up for damage.
Best "burst" like mechanic. Rechargeable bombs act like bursts, but only at neutral (eg: GG blue burst), during a combo (eg: gold burst), or during blockstun. Cannot burst out of hit. Regaining bombs requires points earned by cancelling opponent bullets or knockdowns.

Bullet / graze system forms an entirely different core gameplay loop than the traditional attack/block/throw system that every other game uses.
Bullet cancel system, and the projectile / graze focus makes the actual pace of making decisions very high compared to many games, even though most normals are on average slower than most games.

Most importantly, it has by far the most satisfying and infuriating counterhit noise and particle effect. Guaranteed to instill absolute rage in your opponent.

Minor problem in that trying to get into the game now against the few people still playing will make you feel like you, your family, and any future children yet to be born were brutally murdered. Eh, details.
And like most anime-ish games, the girl with the sword is an rear end in a top hat (though not top tier).

Ultima66 posted:

SWR originally was really really lovely. Weather sucked, the dash out of blockstun mechanic was horrible for gameplay, lots of things were very broken, etc. It was like Brawl to IaMP as Melee. Soku and later patches addressed a lot of problems, kind of like Project M did for Brawl, but that doesn't keep IaMP/Melee from being the much better game overall.

Also I have to say the level of customization in SWR is just terrible for a fighting game in general. It's akin to the gem system fro SFxT but even more egregious. Your super meter was spent on cards that are drawn from a deck you create before the match, and the decks are unique for every character. I think any amount of customization you can't perform at character select screen is generally a really bad idea. Also getting supers at random and the pseudo-random weather system where every few seconds the rules of the match completely change is pretty lovely for a fighting game honestly.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Hisoutensoku is fun in my opinion.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Reading that IaMP is better is a bit confusing. I mean, Soku just feels like it handles better all around. As for randomness, I don't see what's so wrong with having to adapt on the fly. I mean, it's not tripping or anything since both players still have control. But I'm not the fighting game pro so what the hell do I know? I'm just glad to play it with some friends every now and then.

Gils posted:

I'm not seeing that at all in the graph you posted? There's a steady decline in 12.3 over time, but 13.5 doesn't seem to have any effect on the small playerbase that was still around.

I felt there was a sharper drop around the HM release without as much of an increase/recovery, but I guess I might have misread it.

HGH fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 16, 2014

ikaragu
Oct 24, 2010

HGH posted:

Reading that IaMP is better is a bit confusing. I mean, Soku just feels like it handles better all around. As for randomness, I don't see what's so wrong with having to adapt on the fly. I mean, it's not tripping or anything since both players still have control. But I'm not the fighting game pro so what the hell do I know? I'm just glad to play it with some friends every now and then.

I think that SWR has more input leniency, which does make it friendlier for inexperienced players but at best won't make a difference to serious fighting game players, and at worst can mean that it'll read special moves that they didn't intend. I don't think that's a complaint I've heard about it specifically, although that might just be because there are other things to complain about first. (A deckbuilding system with randomly unlocked cards! In a fighting game!)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ikaragu posted:

I think that SWR has more input leniency, which does make it friendlier for inexperienced players but at best won't make a difference to serious fighting game players, and at worst can mean that it'll read special moves that they didn't intend. I don't think that's a complaint I've heard about it specifically, although that might just be because there are other things to complain about first. (A deckbuilding system with randomly unlocked cards! In a fighting game!)

A lot of characters had been tweaked between IaMP and SWR, and most fans agree that it was far more polarizing from what I've seen, that the tiering is a lot more distinct in IaMP where it more came down to knowing how your character worked as opposed to character matchups.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

IaMP is a much better designed fighting game, with more emphasis on meter management, zoning, and actually doing combos. It is also a slow as hell game because if the players know what they are doing the game turns into "both sides spam bullets and graze like crazy, occasionally somebody manages to land a combo", but that is sort of the point.

SWR/HT is more exciting to watch, but in many ways it's a vastly inferior game. Character movesets were heavily trimmed down, the super meter is now tied to a randomized, finite resource, and basically all the new systems are awful. The randomized weather is loving stupid (stuff like "characters can fly twice as long" is alright, but stuff like Typhoon, Sandstorm, Diamond Dust or the original version of River Mist completely change the mechanics and can utterly gently caress you over), the randomized decks make character customization a crapshoot more than anything (want to use your new moves? Hope you draw the card!), the Limit system was supposed to be an anti-infinite system but actually ends up punishing combo-reliant characters because the damage scaling is ridiculous, and since bursts are also tied to your deck (for some infathomable reason), the only responses to pressure or corner combos is to get really good at blocking. Oh, and hope that it's not Sunshower because haha. Don't get me wrong, I like the game, but it is totally worse than IaMP in every single way.

Also it has the worst arrange of Night Falls in existence.

Fast forward to HM, and you're basically looking at two different games. The original version of HM was horrible. Like, they straight up released the first working version they had or something because half the game was missing, poo poo was slow as gently caress, and Koishi could crash the game at will. The full game, on the other hand, is basically SSB in the air. I wish I could say more about it, but I really can't because it also has the worst netplay in the series. It's actually kind of hilarious because for a while it worked perfectly (though it would eventually desync), but then Tasofro did something and now it's utterly worthless for anything non-local. I honestly don't know how they managed to fix and then break netplay, but Tasofro always aim to impress I guess.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also it has the worst arrange of Night Falls in existence.

While I'll definitely agree that it's the worst official arrange, I'm pretty sure I've heard some remixes that are worse.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That makes a lot of sense I guess. Or rather I should have seen things from a better perspective. Ah well, at least I learned something.

I never did understand why they rushed the hell out of HM. Money maybe? It was basically horribly unfinished. It's not like Comiket was that far from Reitaisai either.
Could its netplay issues be fixed/partially alleviated by some third party program or am I misunderstanding the situation?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

HGH posted:

That makes a lot of sense I guess. Or rather I should have seen things from a better perspective. Ah well, at least I learned something.

I never did understand why they rushed the hell out of HM. Money maybe? It was basically horribly unfinished. It's not like Comiket was that far from Reitaisai either.
Could its netplay issues be fixed/partially alleviated by some third party program or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I think they didn't want to release it at the same convention as Double Dealing Character, so they rushed for a Reitaisai release. Probably made the decision months earlier when it seemed maybe possible, and then regretted it during crunch time.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HM is the only one without a rollback caster as far as I know. Presumably because most people really just don't care. v:shobon:v

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ikaragu posted:

I guess the numbering also confirms that a Touhou 14.8 is being planned, or at least planned before a Touhou 15.

I don't think it necessarily implies that. Back in development SWR used to be called 9.8, so it's not like the quarter-games can't exist without symmetrical pairs. It just means that he was planning a 14.5 before he made 14.3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

I think we all know who will be showing up in this game.