Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

given the context I understand why some of these changes seem ridiculous to farmers, my friend used to show up (on his own) on the quad bike when we were 7 years old

Infotainment! posted:

*uses extremely exploitative and illegal labour practices, including child labour and the indentured servitude of illegal immigrants.

*receives never ending tax breaks, grants, and other government financial support.

*inherited farm from parents, hasn't touched a crop or animal in a decade. Mostly just masturbates to Leighton Smith while phillipinos at the mercy of work visa renewals effectively pay for the right to work.

*Owns 7 holdens, 2 boats, and shares in 2 utility companies.

*always votes national because "those bleeding heart faggots are too soft on loving dole bludgers and foreigners mate".

*Drinks Speights, beats wife as outlet for tension caused by repressed homosexuality.

you don't know very much about farming. Yes they're the hardline conservative backbone of the country which is poo poo, but this is an important point:

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Not all farmers are cunts though. I want to make that clear. The drive for profitability is. Get more grass in the paddock for less and more stock through. Blah blah blah. It's a vital yet dying industry. Unless you own a station. Milk for all, at 7 bucks a kg.

Farmers in NZ get less government support than anywhere else in the world. They're left nearly completely subject to market forces, that's why the whole country has been converted to dairy and they're doing some of the more egregious poo poo like irrigating the loving Canterbury plains, break feeding (which amounts to basically starving the cows at certain times), or keeping a whole herd of cows perpetually pregnant then inducing labour. The whole thing is kinda hosed

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

That's as may be, having spent 7 years cleaning up messes made of people's lives through exploitative and illegal employment practices has given me little regard for farmers complaining about employment law.
To be clear, this wasn't my actual job but the practices were so pervasive I had to wade through it a couple of times a week.

And I think you kinda missed the point about the obnoxiousness of a massive recipient of government assistance being so aggressively anti someone else receiving the same.

Oh its a hosed up industry, I totally agree. What assistance do you think farmers get, though? Fonterra certainly get plenty of help, whole divisions of our diplomacy service are basically marketing & sales departments for them, but the farmers themselves get gently caress all in NZ. The milk-shilling really just puts more pressure on to do more hosed up stuff.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Regarding the "ratepayers will foot the bill for this" kind of rhetoric, it's almost a kind of dog whistle strategy for that vocal minority of middle-aged, middle class white ppl (particularly aucklanders) who get out each year to protest rates rises. I have a couple on my facebook, any time there's news of a local body spending initiative they get all up in arms about how they don't want their rates going to fund it and that this is ridiculous, etc.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you want some real loving perspective on Auckland housing at the moment:

My parents bought fairly centrally in Auckland in 1995 for $225000. They sold in 2011 for $1.05m. Theu found out the same house (albeit done up) sold again a couple of months ago for $1.7m.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Anyone see Andrew Little on breakfast? Whole segment about growing economic inequality and I think the interviewer made better points than Little did. Really disappointing, he couldn't have had an easier interview to spell out some of the poo poo that is wrong...

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/huge-divergence-in-economic-equality-gap-andrew-little-video-6221047

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maybe that's why they're trying to shill whaleoil fedoras?

Not kidding, possibly for a mere $80 you could have your very own!

http://www.donotlink.com/da5q

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

So the National Library is being run into the ground by the people who run it. (Background - the National Library is a government run library that provides books to school teachers for use in class. Teachers can go into the library and pick out a whole bunch of books, or can email the library and ask for a bunch of books on a particular topic, which get shipped out to them at the librarys expense.) It seems like the people who run it want to shut it down, so they're changing things so that people no longer use it, and then use that as justification that people don't use it. Many new teachers don't even know the service exists, and its in the interests of upper management to keep it that way.
What they're doing is changing from sending out non-fiction, curriculum based books, to only sending out fiction, forcing schools to buy their own non-fiction resources (and poor/remote schools will of course by the hardest hit.
I have known people who work for the National Library, and this is just one last push in a concerted effort to shut them down. After the christchurch earthquake, there was pressure from the wellington based management to shut down the christchurch centre and put basically everyone in christchurch out of a job. The people who buy new books are idiots, and will buy a handful or none of books that their clients (the teachers) have actually asked for, and instead buy a whole bunch of 'classic' literature that nobody ever gets out. When it comes to 'weeding', which involves throwing out outdated/damaged books, the non-fiction is practically untouched and brand new fiction books get thrown out (although this may be more staff incompetence/indifference rather than policy).

tl;dr: The National government is putting yet another policy into place that will harm the school system.

This is hosed up. I literally would not have been able to teach most of the units I did without the national library.

People can say what they want about digital learning media, there simply isn't the same breadth of child-appropriate information available online as there is still in print. Especially not for free like the National Library is.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Meanwhile in Grey Lynn, some rich person cares enough about the heritage status of their street to burn down a new house:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11391450

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How dare someone build a house that reflects the kind of money everyone on that street has now.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/books/65463098/eleanor-cattons-problem-with-new-zealand

quote:

Man Booker Prize author Eleanor Catton says she is uncomfortable being seen as an ambassador for New Zealand which she says is dominated by neo-liberal, profit-obsessed, shallow and money hungry politicians who do not care about culture.

John Keys, man of the people that he is, reckons she's just spouting the Green party line and that average kiwis don't think this. What a good bloke

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

No hua used to talk about paua guts/poo poo, basically the part of paua you don't eat is hua.

Whether that's actually what he meant is something else. His intonation is weird as gently caress anyway so it's hard to tell.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Whoa hang on so he's actually ruled out his plausible deniability? I was sure he'd try to use the "no no I said hua not whore"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

moneys on Kevin Hague to replace him

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sabin just resigned, so yeah its not tipped anymore

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Reid Research has a new poll. National still around 50%, Labour nearly at 30, minor parties all dropping off. No big deal really.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

*except when it comes to GM food.

*also peer-reviewed medicine, and possibly also vaccines for some of them.

I love the Greens, but some of their members (and MPs unfortunately) are loving dumb when it comes to this stuff.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've met Jo de Joux. She's a very clever person. I don't think we really need a specifically New Zealand Crosby Textor though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

o.t. but if NZ manage to win the cricket world cup that'll mean John Key will get another shot at a three-way handshake with a sportsball captain

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the domestic violence stats go up after a sportsball game regardless of whether the team win or lose? Seems more likely to be related to alcohol than sporting wins/losses

also buttwizard before you get mad again I dont even know if there's an internet joke about the word sportsball, I heard it and thought it was funny. I've spent most of the day watching India v Pakistan so Im not pretending to be aloof in any way

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Disband all military

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

focal ischemia posted:

it's like blaming coal miners for global warming. we're talking about working class people trying to live a comfortable life here.

this is probably the best analogy, also because ideally we'd make both jobs obsolete but they aren't assholes for pushing back against that or asking to see an alternative first

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Hahaha what?

You and me and everyone else in this country (and every other country) do things that we know are bad/wrong all the time but nobody refuses out of an 'obligation to society'. Nobody outside of internet autist thought-excercise reasonable-men actually thinks in terms of the effects their actions have on society. They think about how to achieve their own personal goals and ambitions whilst avoiding being piss-poor and other social strife.

That is the nature of institutions, of which the army is one. They function because they put individuals in a position where they either make a 'bad' choice to protect themselves or are shuffled further down the social ladder and replaced by someone more willing to do so. Do I quit my job because my company does things that are bad for the environment/someone in asia? Nope because I don't want to be unable to feed my kids because I've shat my own career down the toilet and then watch someone more morally flexible step into the gap and do the same things anyway. Do I quit the army/get put up for charges because Armies Are Bad and Violence Is Wrong? No because then I'm a completely unqualified bum with no money and no prospects/real work experience whatsoever and I get to watch someone less morally pure get promoted over me to do the same job anyway.

Every aspect of life is like this and the only people I can think of who have successfully avoided this are buddhist monks and similar monastic orders who have made a massive, deliberate shift in their lives to separate themselves from the hamster wheel of society. You get to choose between a crap choice and a really, really really crap choice and you choose the first one because nothing you do will make any difference anyway.

Claiming that they should somehow martyr themselves for the fulfilment of a political directive whilst completely torpedoing their personal circumstances is ridiculous. They might refuse because they're afraid of risk or any number of other personal reasons but there are very few people who would refuse because of their 'obligation to society'. That argument is completely disconnected from reality. Think about why the people you see on a day to day basis make the decisions they make with their lives. Only a very few (or not, depending on your social circle) have the personal luxury and security to afford to make decisions for the betterment of society to the detriment of their own circumstances.

I'm sorry for the wall of text but that view is repeated time and again on the net and it drives me crazy. If you want the world to change you need to give people incentive to dismantle the institutions that gently caress the world instead of just expecting them to sacrifice their livelihoods for the greater good.

youre right we should all go work for tobacco companies or the IMF gently caress trying to be ethical

I don't agree that people in the military should be expected to face court martial rather than accept deployment, but nor can you just say "well if I don't do this someone else will" because that's the kind of Ayn Rand mentality that justifies most of the gross poo poo that goes on in the world in the first place

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 16, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hey guyz what if there was this mine crat that was going to kill 3 people but you could stop it by pushing one person in fron tof it wud u do it???

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

any bets on how long it takes for a new picture of John Keys with Brendon McCullum to show up?

McCullum did really well in the cricket today

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pride parade is only about seeming to support queer community now, apparently

(while protesting the inclusion of DOC and police, a Maori trans woman had her arm broken by police or security at the parade)

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 22, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dusty posted:

5'10"? A foot taller than that little tubby woman, shorter than the guard.

I have enjoyed the SJW groupthinking on twitter that protestors should be allowed to violently disrupt queer spaces.

True good looking out bro. I mean they would've been totally within their rights to break a man's arm, so really this is just equality.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dusty isn't so good at critical thought, news at 11...

Actually in other news, unsurprisingly we are now supporting a war with troops: http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11407112&ref=NZH_FBpage

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I don't see anything unreasonable about this view and I'm slightly nonplussed at why other people in this thread disagree.

Other than the reasons already posted (concern trolling, it wasn't violent, etc), its mostly because dusty forms his opinions as a knee jerk rather than actually thinking things through. He'd rather hate on "SJW"s than think about issues that people might be protesting.

The protest was against the police and DOC officers, the protestors jumped the barrier and unfurled a banner in front of the police marching in the parade because of the continued mistreatment of queer people in prisons and by police. Particularly the fact that trans women are still put in male prisons.

Seems to me like police and DOC officers being invited to march in a parade that celebrates the rights of queer people is a good place for a protest on these issues. Dusty disagrees because he's afraid of SJWs and has issues with women.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Neither of these issues sound like things the Police, as terrible as they are, have anything to do with?

The Police don't run the prisons and the Police don't sentence people or write the laws/rules surrounding that?

DOC places prisoners in coordination with the police. Also the police are required by law now to notify the custodial systems manager (at DOC) if they have any concerns about a prisoner's gender and the prison they're being sent to. Still plenty of trans people in the wrong prisons.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 24, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S_uf-QRQto

(also because it is new zealand my brother appears in this video briefly)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

Len Brown has announced construction on the CRL will begin mid-year.

The cries of 1000s of taxpayers' unionists could be heard across the land

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Probably more so Nats can't throw it in their face than anything. Sucks though, she's a winner

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

She's come across as a bit of a dick in the past tbh

really? In what way?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'd probably gloat about beating Paula Bennett too

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Matt McCarten was meant to be terminal a couple of years back. Maybe the cure for cancer is unionism :unsmith:

I was thinking about this when I heard the news this morning and then I started thinking I would trade Matt McCarten for her and then I had to stop

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

they wore the same thing how embarrassing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

possibly going to meet JK in a few weeks, what should I do?

other than have a beer with him like the good bloke deserves

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

great suggestions thanks guys lets hope the GCSB arent hacking my internet

but no serious suggestions for comments I could make to him?

also what a good bloke, look at him here watching the crikkers with richie mccaw like the great average blokes they both are:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

tell him he is handsome and try to hold his hand

only if it can be a three-way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is the joke here that this thread is so out of touch with the NZ population, we don't even notice that Dan Carter is not in fact Richie Mccaw?

the joke here is the new zealand media, how dare they keep forcing lydia ko and eleanor catton together for photoshoots like that just because theyre women

• Locked thread