Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fong posted:

any bets on how long it takes for a new picture of John Keys with Brendon McCullum to show up?

9 days, if anyone went for that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Who's likely to be more racist, your average rural South Islander, or the average cop?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lancelot posted:

I don't think you understand what a venn diagram is.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

quote:

Robert Pora pleaded guilty in the High Court in Auckland today to the manslaughter of Steven Henare Te Pania, reckless driving causing injury, driving under the influence of alcohol, failing to stop for police and driving while forbidden.

He said "Guilty my bro" as charges were put to him, his casualness provoking cries of disgust from the victim's family in the public gallery.

Is this the new "bitch I might be" ?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Its exactly the same as what he was saying last time.

"He's making stuff up but of course we're doing it everyone is but you can't trust him he's lying but we only sometimes do that but its not true but he's got no proof but it's totally normal but it's a left-wing attack but..."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Let's not pretend that Northland will be any better off under Winston than it would be under a National MP, particularly given Winston's "one law for all" bullshit. Northland is such a perfect case study of why we need a Maori electoral roll.

So I'm not particularly happy about Winston being ahead in Northland, even if it costs National a seat. They're still going to get their bullshit through parliament anyway, Dunne isn't going to cross the floor on anything that the Nats really want.

This is kinda how I always feel about Winston though, maybe I need to get better at accepting him as the lesser of two evils.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Tracy Martin seems pretty reasonable, as do a couple of the new ones whose names I haven't learned.

Richard Prosser is an outright neo-nazi apologist though, and he's their #3

This^

I don't know much about any of his new people, but I've met Tracy Martin and seen her speak a bunch of times and she's good.

Question: do people think Dunne would still have opposed the RMA reforms and/or deployment to Iraq if National depended on his vote to pass them?

Re: Gareth Hughes, he's hardly got a chance but having a contested leadership race will at least get the Greens into the headlines. Plus it'll get him more exposure, which can't hurt. He's good, despite his baby face.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 5, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I tend to think the rapidly expanding surveillance state and pervasive corruption are important changes.

Re: surveillance were kinda hosed. Labour will be in on that just the same as National.

Corruption not so much. Apart from Stuart Nash, Labour are relatively clean.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This is terrible and actually makes me feel glad I only have to do lifespan-reducing physical labour on machines for a pittance. Not an easy feat!

I'm going to take a wild stab here and guess that the majority of teachers do not have your dedication to giving a poo poo; that was certainly the impression I got from highschool a decade ago.

Dunno about secondary, but I've never met a primary teacher who didn't give a poo poo. Even the ones who I thought were lovely teachers for various reasons would do poo poo like what he's talking about. Its just part of the job, and I'm assuming secondary isn't much different.

I think secondary teachers just get more poo poo because their students are a lot more aware of what they're doing as a teacher. The 8yo's I teach don't even fully realise I'm a separate person, they're often surprised to find out I don't live at school and that I'm paid to be there.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 6, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A friend of mine had a super broad kiwi accent but had actually only lived in NZ for three years (when I met her), and English wasn't even her first language. Some people kinda have a knack for accents.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lancelot posted:

what i wouldn't do for a "john key attempts common household tasks like a poor" compilation

next season of the block: john key, steven joyce, bill english and jerry brownlee compete to see who can make the most profit by renovating and selling state houses

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Mar 7, 2015

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

Dude hates any and all electoral strategy

more like dude just wants to find scandal and intrigue where there's none. Paddy is the biggest NZ politics nerd/fanboy ever, it honestly wouldnt surprise me if he wrote NZpol fanfic

What are the details though? Last I heard Labour weren't going to cut any deals in Northland.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

The STV system at the last referendum did away with the party list entirely from memory.

In theory I wouldn't be against that tbh, each politician directly accountable to people in an area. Maybe then we'd get some kind of regional development strategy.

In practice it would be the death of half of the opposition block at the moment, so...

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Not gonna lie, Winston also looks pretty awkward hammering that nail

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

David Seymour a really good politician because he's charmed so many people into overlooking his deluded political positions.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

He's like a gibbering ventriloquist's dummy.

that's all pretense dropped, then.

Its poo poo like this that kinda wish our media was a bit more brutal, like UK or Aussie. There'd be at least one headline of "National threaten to punish Northland if Winston wins" or something in the UK

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The people who were unprepared for the earthquake in CHCH were the property developers and the insurance companies, not the ones who lost their houses and stuck out their hands afterwards. Insurance companies weren't sufficiently leveraged to meet their obligations and were offering people like 1/2 or 1/3 of what their policy was worth. Meanwhile property developers had built entire suburbs of houses on the cheap, with insufficient foundations, in a loving swamp. It's their fault that a decent chunk of christchurch sunk into the ground when the earthquake hit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Just had an idea: send Winston to Japan.

Also feed him LSD daily whilst in Japan.

He would probably end up in jail after assaulting someone. He's already scared of Asian people

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

For the first time ever I received a breaking news push notification from Stuff. It was about this X Factor bs

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hate to tell you but Tru Bliss didnt even have originality going for them. Spice Girls were formed via talent/reality show.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I love CPAG. They're one of the most effective and worthwhile activist groups in NZ. Like when I think about who has actually managed to land blows on the govt recently, they're one of the few that come to mind.

bobbilljim posted:

:barf:

hahaa sick burn in the point of order

Can things said in parliament like that count as slander / libel??

Parliament is protected speech, you can say whatever you want.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

The way this was handled has absolutely nothing to do with incompetence or officers not understanding the law.

Not that anyone is really suggesting otherwise, but I can't echo this enough^

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No. None of those have the requisite total, devastating lack of self-awareness. It's this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiRWwxFjqNM

The best Lex Luthor

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Depends on the MP but often they're really responsive to lobbying. The electorate system makes them accessible at least.

E.g. NZEI were able to successfully lobby various local MPs to help people get claims resolved with that novopay shitstorm a few years ago

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

gently caress. Man. I really could have a beer right about now. Where's JK?

In Japan shilling beef and lamb. He's cutting his visit short so he can go campaign in northland

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

dusty posted:

That's 2nd-best Korea you racist.

He was in Korea but he's in Japan now

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

David Cunliffe's life is falling apart. He separated from his wife of 30 years just recently

herald are also running it as their front page story which is pretty poo poo

A friend of mine in Labour said that he's looking terrible, like you can tell he's trying really hard to seem happy but is not

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You know deep down National are happy that the Salvation Army is pulling out

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

My worry is that all the green and red switching to Winston in the poll won't actually bother going to vote

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I had a conversation today that made me think of you guys. The person I was talking to is pretty high on my list of biggest all-time fuckwits I've ever met in my life.

Fuckwit :haw: LOOKS LIKE WE'RE GOING TO THE FINAL WOO (he literally shouted this at an empty workshop)
Me: :geno: ...
:haw: I take it from your reaction that you aren't a cricket fan.
:geno: it's a stupid sport blah blah
:haw: well if you aren't happy that we won cricket, you should be happy for the country
:geno: ....the country?
:haw: yeah man. new zealand is so linked to sports that when one of our teams does good, we all do good!
:geno: how do you mean...?
:haw: well the economy gets better, everyone gets more productive, people just have more enthusiasm and stuff! you know?
:geno: I don't know what you mean. I don't feel more productive?
:haw: well I'd say about 70% of the country do!
:geno: so...what....you think people are going to work overtime and poo poo because we won a cricket match? don't you think new zealanders should be concerned about more important poo poo than sport?
:haw: slavvy I think you just don't understand that kiwis need a certain work-leisure balance and sports are what helps people with that:smug:

He's now at the top of the list.

dude sounds like a tool but you came off like a tool in that conversation too. If someone's enthusiastic about something don't try and tell them its stupid.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Looks like Labour people are voting strategically, Willow Jean Prime's only on 600 votes. Now if only Labour could've done more of that in the general election...

Interesting to see if the vote swings back more in Osbourne's favour with on-the-day votes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

70% counted and Winston's still well ahead, looks like it's done.

Im pretty pissed at Labour's inability to cooperate with other parties last election. Look at what it's done here. With the new parliamentary arrangements they would've been able to pass Sue Moroney's paid parental leave bill, as well as a bunch of their private members bills.

Hopefully theyll learn from this and there'll be no more Labour candidates losing by 200 votes, or Peter Dunne winning by 700 votes.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

puchu posted:

It's segregation, it is

Issue a point of order that everyone should produce proof of their membership or be asked to leave.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

puchu posted:

Someone already did this I think. Worst 3 hours of my life

think up other ways to waste their time then. Ask for confirmation of membership from every voting member before each vote because you're worried people are crossing over

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

puchu posted:

you don't realise that i'm not allowed to speak and also the meeting has been over for several hours now

its true I realised neither of those things

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

There's actually no minimum amount that has to paid to be considered a financial member and there's no requirement for proof of the financial contribution other than the membership form so in practice you just need 500 people willing to sign the form with a nominal amount on it and someone to pay the $500 registration fee.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Butt Wizard posted:

ahahaha seriously? If that's the case it's even funnier that UF got caught a couple of years ago.

Ya I was on a party list in the 2008 election and never paid a cent, though my membership form said I did.

I think in UF's case they actually dropped below 500 members.

Also re: parachuting in MPs, Labour has the opposite problem. Apart from a handful all of their politicians have made a career of it, so they hang on way past their time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He was a regular at a deli in Ponsonby where a friend worked and honestly he was the most effusive and lovely person I've ever heard.

I stood behind him in the Rage Against the Machine moshpit at BDO years ago, same thing. Every 5 mins someone would come and ask for a photo or autograph and he was amazing about it. The man is an actual national treasure.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

puchu wants that internet cred

congrats bro you proved someone wrong on the internet

Paul Henry is terrible, John Campbell is a national treasure and he deserves to be on television even if his equally lovely wife is the only one watch.

• Locked thread