Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

klen dool posted:

Surely a sportsman - even a cricketer - could beat that sack of poo poo?

100 bucks on a heart attack in the first round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Smithersnz posted:

And then Linda Cooper, councilwoman:

Sometimes difficult choices have to made. Like denying people equality for the sake of the greater good.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

fong posted:

possibly going to meet JK in a few weeks, what should I do?

other than have a beer with him like the good bloke deserves

Just make sure to show him the respect he shows New Zealand.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Ask him how proud he is for having over half his party vote against gay marriage.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Just one of the guys. Who has never picked up a hammer before, apparently.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

dusty posted:

Is the Great NZ Weed Drought 2015 really a thing?

There's been this dumb article on Vice http://www.vice.com/read/whos-to-blame-for-new-zealands-weed-shortage and Rusty Brown mentioned it in passing during his appearance on The Nation on Saturday.

Just wondering how y'all are finding it to score.

It's been over two months since I've been able to find any, and the last stuff I bought was a major rip. It was pretty much the best thing for my insomnia so it's been a while since I've had a good nights sleep.

I wish death on those politicians who oppose legalization.

Edit: That's in Palmy btw.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Speaking for my own tiny little circle: Few of my friends bother with regular television anymore, they get their news online, they download anything they want to watch, and they don't care for the time limits imposed by tradtional programming. When there is something interesting brought up on NZ T.V they watch it the next day online. I don't know how prevalent this is but among the the technologically savvy youth I could see it becoming more and more common. As for what this would do for ratings Puchu could probably tell.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Guess who wrote that puerile poo poo! Starts with "R" and ends with "achel Glucina."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11454281

Rachel Glucina is New Zealand’s reigning gossip queen and author of The Diary.

Who in the gently caress thinks being into gossip is in any way a good thing.

Don't answer that, it will only depress me.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken didn't the majority of Nationals M.Ps vote against the legalisation of gay marriage?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

A human heart posted:

What do you suggest we replace democracy with?

Hold politicians to account for each and every lie they tell. Make them apologise in front of a crowd who hold rotten vegetables, after 20 lies they can no longer be a politician and their retirement benefits are cut. Also, in the event they die young their bodies are stuffed and left around the beehive.

Weight votes based on if the voter actually understands the issue, rather than being a parrot of talking points. This was anyone who votes that gay marriage should be illegal based on the word of god is rightly ignored. Also put them in the stocks or something, I don't know.

Vote Bush.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 26, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

klen dool posted:

Goddamn I wish this was practical.

Is it any less practical than the god-awful system we have now?

Vote Bush.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 26, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

klen dool posted:

Yeah, determining ones knowledge on a subject in order to weight the vote bloody impossible. So its slightly less practical than the system we have now.

I am not entirely convinced that our current system is fundamentally god-awful to be honest. Like any system, it can be subverted, and I think we can claw back control.

Nah it's easy, just include a multi-choice questionnaire with the voting form. Problem solved.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

I wasn't thinking a literacy test, those are dumb. I've nothing against the illiterate, though I guess it would take someone reading the options to them but that's okay.

More like:
Circle which of the numbers you see to be true:
1) God says homosexuality is a sin
2) Gay marriage is just a means to concert people to homosexuality
3) Gay marriage would negatively affect our children
4) Gay marriage should be allowed because people deserve equality
5) etc

Not like this.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 27, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

awesmoe posted:

It's a lot cheaper and more effective to just throw out the ballots of the people voting for the party you don't support

That is not what I'm saying, my friend. I'm saying if someone disagrees with reality which we derive from statistics and scientific consensus then their opinion is worth as much because it is ill informed. My vote would be weighted less as well if I fell into that category.

I get what you're saying, I suggested this ages ago and had someone call me a loving idiot who just wants to throw out all votes that don't agree with my opinion. It wouldn't be my opinion though, it would be that of scientists and statisticians, if I voted based off ignorance my vote wouldn't count for poo poo either. There is a big problem in that not all issues can easily be reduced in such a way but it would help with some topics, at least. Issues on fluoride, gay marriage, climate change and the war on drugs would have been solved ages ago with this method. I'm also not saying it would be a perfect system but I think it would be better than the current one.

I also really want politicians put in the stocks and also stuffed and put on display, but I could accept losing that in negotiations.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 27, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

awesmoe posted:

This is a good way to disenfranchise the uneducated lower class

e: in fact, it's a good way to promote actively under-educating people who wouldn't vote for you

Isn't that based off the idea that it is just the lower class that is ignorant in these areas? It's all classes of New Zealanders that are ignorant of basic science and statistics, that is the problem. Also being in the lower class doesn't necessarily mean you are unable to think critically, though you're right in that it would be a problem of proportions due to a lack of education and support. In any case I don't see what benefit there is to giving people who actively despise facts an equal say. I know that is a cornerstone of democracy but if history has proved anything it is that democracy, in its current form, does not work. I would never think of targeting people based off race and sexuality but I draw the line at stupidity.

Can I ask you what benefit you see to allowing, lets say, creationists a vote on scientific education in areas when they outnumber those who aren't actively idiotic? How would the result of a standard democratic vote be, in any way, a win for mankind?

Also regarding the promoting under-educating the supporters I would refer you to my previous point where deceptive politicians are put in the stocks and forced to make a public apology and/or are fired out of a cannon, into the sun.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

echinopsis posted:

It's not subjectively correct to be objectively correct.

And why should we place so much value on the opinions of those with no interest objective truth to the point where they actively harm thousands, millions of people?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

echinopsis posted:

Depends on your perspective I guess. Do those millions of people deserve to not be harmed? What is the harm? What benefit does the harm bring to billions?

Well let's use climate change first: The way it works now most major governments such as China or the U.S don't give a gently caress about the truth, they deny and commit to course of action that will eventually hurt millions, potentially billions of people. Those who will suffer the most are those in the third world, these people do not deserve this harm. The harm could be anywhere from the destruction of their homes to death from other climate change phenomena. The benefit is for those who have remained in power, and those who have made billions of dollars through the ease of polluting, rather than proper disposal or care. In the system I propose these people would be put in the stock, or shot out of a cannon.

Let's look at the war on drugs: The way it works now is that through misinformation, half-truths and outright lies millions of people are arrested, their families are broken up and their lives are ruined. Money goes to gangs and those who need help are viewed as criminals. These people do not deserve to be harmed through this massive ignorance of the history and efficacy of the war on drugs, but they are. The benefits are, again, politicians who stay in power as well as the for-profit prison system and those who attempt to claim some sort of moral high ground. In the system I propose these laws would be reexamined from a position of science of statistics which has shown, decades ago, that not only does the system not work but it is also based off lies and good old fashion family racism. Again, the stocks or a cannon.

e:

awesmoe posted:

I'm sorry but if you're going to say things like "democracy does not work" I'm just not going to really effortpost in reply :(

You're right in that is an oversimplification. What I should have said is democracy only works when the majority of people are either educated enough to resort to facts in complicated issues (they often aren't or are far too slow and in the time it takes for them to get their collective poo poo together millions of people could get hurt), or aren't so apathetic as to avoid participating (they are).

Double e:
Would disenfranchisement really be the right word? They still get to vote and their ignorance on one subject wouldn't invalidate an informed vote on another subject.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 27, 2015

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I had a twitter to and fro with fuckin P'Dunne today (amongst others, I was largely out of it by this point but they kept mentioning me). about the replacement for the misuse of drugs acts. he made it clear the government isn't looking towards anything like decriminilisation. he claimed labour and national are the reasons why. of course he avoided his own personal opinion on the matter. good old dunne

Ugh, just die already you stupid old prick.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

puchu posted:

wow bit rude considering his son's a goon

Well just because Peter Dunne is human scum doesn't necessarily mean his crotch fruit is. In fact, son of Dunne might not be scum.

Disclaimer: I'm a big drama queen that thinks any politician that supports the war on drugs is dumb, and any politician in a position to fight it but who chooses not to can die in a fire.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover and all those other bullshit platitudes, yet this always seems to happen. You can tell the guy is a tremendous piece of poo poo straight away, you just don't know why.

I dunno, I always got the impression that he was a simple man trying to hold onto a simple world. Evil through stupidity, I mean, rather than evil through greed. To each his own though.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Jacobin posted:

I dont really post anymore but it was about a year ago I posted some unhinged ranting on here as a serious bout of mental illness was beginning and received some pretty appropriate / direct advice

Well Id just thought Id say I appreciated it and life is pretty sweet and I am employed about as much as the rest of my peers - that being quite precariously and pretty low paid - but holding it down and staying healthy.

chur

Good to hear.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

klen dool posted:

Hold on - Tony Veitch is still working in broadcasting? WTF? He nearly killed that woman....

He shows up on friends facebook links all the time. Veitchy on Sport, or something. Apparently people asking for Veitchy on Domestic Violence get banned pretty quickly.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is it racist if I say that monarchy in all it's forms is loving Stupid?

The royal family aren't technically human, so no.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Utterly loving disgusting.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Slavvy posted:

We banned nuclear powered vessels irrespective of whether they had nuclear armament or not, from what I know. As far as the public at large is concerned there's effectively no difference anyway.

Out of curiosity: how much radiation leakage is possible with a crashed/blown up nuclear vessel, anyone know?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Two Finger posted:

How much fuel would leak from a crashed ship? That's an impossible question to answer dude way way too many variables

Ahhh, true. I would assume that the reactors are heavily shielded and I have no idea of the strength of the fuel. Time for some research I think.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Are there many good right wing DJs?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Where is the

And what is the Kiwi connection?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

All I said was that Max Key was going to be DJing there this afternoon.

It was a bomb threat, not a threat of the bomb.

I'll see myself out.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Exclamation Marx posted:

Andrew Little looks like the sniper from TF2

holy poo poo

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

truther posted:

Apparently there will be six different versions of Real Housewives in the new channel lineup.

Unreal.

Kill all humans.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Classic.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Agreed. But that's how they did it so they have to accept it.

Speaking of the unwashed voters

From the financial times:

Hey now, NZ is pretty drat anti-intellectual and we're doi

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

Is it notable when a geriatric politician falls for an Internet hoax?

Or when he gets a bit cross after being heckled?

Peter Dunne being an arrogant loving idiot, water is wet.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

504 posted:

Its such a weird mindset, 10k is an actual investment to win the lottery.

But the odds are so bad that 10k makes absolutely no difference to your chances. What is the change? 50 billion to one down to 49.9995 billion to one?

Bro, somebody has to win it.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
https://webmshare.com/play/Gav8a

I clearly have no idea how to embed this.

Bushmaori fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 2, 2016

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

My mortgage is 200 a month.

Dickkkkkk

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Tell me how I haven't been working hard, and how easy my job is.

Look, if he bootstrapped then you can too.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Couple of days ago

Random car fires in Hastings? Gotta be a boatload of booming meth surely

I got a family member in the police in Hastings/Napier, they say its a pretty big problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I mean I'm not against fluroidation but decent dental hygeine habits with fluoride toothpaste must be leagues better.

It would be fine, but it also can't be relied upon. Putting it in the water is an effective way to treat those most at risk and comes with no real negative effects.

• Locked thread