Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

fong posted:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/books/65463098/eleanor-cattons-problem-with-new-zealand

John Keys, man of the people that he is, reckons she's just spouting the Green party line and that average kiwis don't think this. What a good bloke

https://twitter.com/AliIkram/status/559943218637185024

quote:

It was sad 2day 2 see a NZer whose fictional account of life in this country which transfixed millions get into an argument w Eleanor Catton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Infotainment! posted:

"Once you file the return" is the key. It's fine if you're earning above your expenses. Unfortunately unlike when the laws around secondary tax were last updated it's become more likely that someone with 2 jobs is still working less than 40 hours and for low wages. When you're living week to week and hand to mouth waiting for it to all wash out at the end of the year can be tough. It could be administered a lot more effectively basically.

Don't forget the two extra poo poo things:

1) Every dollar you earn in your "second job" counts for Student Loan repayment and IRD recently changed the rules so you couldn't get these back despite the fact that you end up overpaying compared to people with one job
2) If you have two jobs you can at least have the tax rates setup so the one that pays you the most is your primary, however WINZ cannot deal with this and therefore money from WINZ has to be your primary, even if it is far less money than the job you are doing to try and get off a benefit. This means less money now (when you need it).

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

also, if/when some despicable political news comes out tomorrow, please remember that that's what the 1080 formula story was originally planned to run interference for.

In unrelated news, Canterbury won't have real democracy until at least 2019 under the new proposal released today:
http://norightturn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03/no-democracy-for-canterbury.html

The Government appointed ECan has overseen a massive expansion of dairy farming in Canterbury that has reduced water quality and seen a massive increase in irrigation rights. In some cases the people deciding on water rights issues also directly benefit from them. This is in contradiction with general public opinion in polls I've seen but of course, we get no say and won't in the near future.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
In a week where the RoastBusters report came out with damning criticism of NZ Police's culture and actions and a couple of other hilarious cases came to light* Rodney Hide has opinions about the Police:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=11421086

quote:

New Zealand police cars are a disgrace. They are too often dirty and scruffy. They send the message that the police don't care and lack pride.
And the minister and commissioner should be asking themselves: "Why are the cars patrolling our towns and cities so scruffy and dirty? And what am I doing about it?"

* Top Cop "forgets" investigation files in cupboard: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11421129

Basically gently caress Rodney Hide, in the past, now and forever. We have a Police force with terrible culture, no accountability and nothing seems to be changing however the real issue here is muddy Police cars.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

open24hours posted:

they're on an ancient phone and I can't get them off.

Yeah, getting things over 12 years old off isn't really a thing for Gloriavale.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

fong posted:

Its a bit more complicated than that though, because for our govt to have no dealings with them that would mean no kiwis allowed to travel there or do business there, and any kiwis living there either having to leave or be cut loose.

But there's a bit of a gulf (heh) between "don't acknowledge the existence of Saudi Arabia" and "don't give millions of kickbacks to corrupt officials, lie to cover it up and then fail to even achieve the goal you wanted to get out of this bribe". But everyone knows that giving up on chasing the free trade dream in this case is unpalatable because John Key is a good business man and would never completely fail to achieve an objective such as this.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Taitale posted:

Even with the informal votes removed, a much higher turnout.

Compulsory voting is a solution to the wrong problem. Is a higher turnout really an end goal if it isn't accompanied by a higher level of voter engagement?

I'm not sure there's a simple solution to getting people to actually care about politics in NZ. Clearly they *should* care as it affects a large part of our society and therefore their life. I guess a good start would be actually enforcing our electoral laws, currently if you break the spending, disclosure or advertising laws for an election nothing ever happens*. Serious electoral offenses are referred to the Police but they have literally never prosecuted someone for them. Having some high profile convictions or trials for dodgy electoral stuff could go towards helping people trust our system.

*Exception is John Banks but that took a private prosecution and he *still* didn't get convicted despite clearly breaking the law.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Basically when you buy a gift card you become an unsecured creditor - you're lending DSE money at 0% interest with no collateral. So when the company goes tits-up because it can't pay its debts, there's a hierarchy as to who gets paid first - the taxman and the employees are at the top, the company's 'secured' creditors are next (i.e. the banks, some of the suppliers, etc.), and unsecured creditors (including gift cards and so on) come last, and usually get shafted. It's a bit lovely but it does at least mean that the employees get paid basically before anybody else which is better than nothing, I suppose.

I thought employees (at least things like owed leave etc. perhaps not actual backpay) were further down than banks.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
It is really an amazing article, top to bottom. The ending is spectacular:

quote:

The Herald's noisy companion, as we moved up and down the driveways of Coates Ave, was goofy, witless Ted. He gets the final word.

Predictably, his word is: "Woof!!!"

Repeatedly.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

They did their whole Alternative Giving thing which wasn't a ban but was an effort to stop people from giving money to beggars and therefore discourage beggars from trying to get money on the street.

Isn't that the one where they spent more on advertising for their thing then was given in the entire period via it?

EDIT: Much like Payroll Giving from a few years back which cost lots in administration etc. but nets basically nothing for actual charities.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

The Sin of Onan posted:

Oh? I started a new job recently and they were offering payroll giving in the contract. I thought it sounded like a decent idea, but I don't want to do it if, as you say, it's no more than an ineffective administration nightmare. Do you have any more info on the subject?

Assuming your employer isn't matching contributions or something then the only real reason is that you get to claim the tax benefit of your donation now rather than at tax return time. And in return you are limited to a set of charities picked by your employer and you cause paperwork for both them and the charity in question.

Since 2010 only $14 million has been donated via Payroll Giving nationwide which is very low (half a flag vote) given how much it was trumpeted as a needed thing and the extra administration it has cost in the meantime.

Maybe I'm just biased because I had to deal with deploying Payroll software when it was rolled out and it was basically never used by anyone.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I'm pretty sure if you're an MP or a cop you can literally get away with all kinds of sex crimes in New Zealand

Examples include John Key and 4/5 cops who raped Louise Nicholas.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Your Honour, he's a hypocritical dick.

http://thespinoff.co.nz/10-05-2016/cameron-slater-fearless-crusader-against-name-suppression-just-had-his-name-suppression-lifted/ covers Slater's previous comments against name suppression

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Varkk posted:

From talking to people in Christchurch it wasn't that violent there just really long rocking motion. It seems the upper South Island and Wellington felt it the worst.

It went on so long and the entire time you're just hoping it won't just kick into high gear and completely wreck your poo poo.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

loving hell David Seymour is terrible
After reading the article he linked three times, the only way it makes sense is if you consider "enslave" and "make pay taxes" the same thing.

Believe it or not this is actually "progress" for the ACT end of the spectrum.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/southern-slave-owner-vs-modern-democratic-state-lf-135202

quote:

The New Zealand government spends a third of all that we produce. A slave owner took only 10%. The governments we elect are three times more rapacious than slave owners.
The government would need only sell the people of Hamilton and Dunedin to clear net debt.

The whole thing is an extended defense of slavery as "not so bad" that is only loving topped off by a picture of Roots to accompany it.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Their first version of that ad had the actual song, but they pulled the song presumingly because they believed they wouldn’t get the license for it, and sought a sound alike

A sound alike literally called Eminemesque. I mean, it's pretty loving obvious that they were trying to use something that was basically Eminem but license-able.

Of course it's worth noting that this decision was due in August but somehow got delayed until now, both after the current election (and negotiation) are done AND after the 3 year statute of limitations on the 2014 election overspend that this judgment causes.

EDIT: I mean I'm talking about this court case because I can't form real sentences about the other one due to how rage-inducing it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/_chloeswarbrick/status/928164149074391041

• Locked thread