Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Disinterested posted:

Sounds like the New Zealand I spent a few months in back in the day. A nice place but drat there is some backwards poo poo going on.

What's been the biggest shift in NZ politics in the last decade (if anything)?

In the last decade? A massive shift to US style personality politics requiring party leaders pretend to have no aspirational qualities.

A general mean spirited gently caress you got mine attitude encouraged by the global financial crisis, price gouging by collusive oil companies, and a hosed real estate market that is hell bent on misery based profiteering.

One positive side effect of the beigening is that the centre right parties focus all their bigotry on the impoverished, as they are much less likely to vote then any other minority. As a result they are not as anti woman/lgbt/non white as a lot of their overseas equivalents.

Farmers are still mostly idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*uses extremely exploitative and illegal labour practices, including child labour and the indentured servitude of illegal immigrants.

*receives never ending tax breaks, grants, and other government financial support.

*inherited farm from parents, hasn't touched a crop or animal in a decade. Mostly just masturbates to Leighton Smith while phillipinos at the mercy of work visa renewals effectively pay for the right to work.

*Owns 7 holdens, 2 boats, and shares in 2 utility companies.

*always votes national because "those bleeding heart faggots are too soft on loving dole bludgers and foreigners mate".

*Drinks Speights, beats wife as outlet for tension caused by repressed homosexuality.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fong posted:

you don't know very much about farming

That's as may be, having spent 7 years cleaning up messes made of people's lives through exploitative and illegal employment practices has given me little regard for farmers complaining about employment law.
To be clear, this wasn't my actual job but the practices were so pervasive I had to wade through it a couple of times a week.

And I think you kinda missed the point about the obnoxiousness of a massive recipient of government assistance being so aggressively anti someone else receiving the same.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Tax credits, regulatory exemptions no other business gets, a publicly funded political advocacy wing.

It is pretty funny the actual cash subsidies got canned by the Nat government federated fuckwits is still desperately pushing.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
LIBERTARIANS: irrefutable proof of Dunning Krueger.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol at Nick Smith claiming Christchurch having the highest number of consents issued in the last 7 years as a win. Finally replacing a few of the thousands of earthquake hosed houses isn't really progress.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ardennes posted:

Yeah thats quite a bit more than LA (I would say 400-600k), what is a common wage for a service industry job in NZ? If anything that seems pretty comparable to DC/NYC/SF but Auckland is part of a considerably smaller metro area.

I know there was quite a bit talk among Americans about moving to NZ because it is "pretty and liberal" but seems like there is more going on then they think.

Service industry would be $14 -$20 an hour, the vast majority being at the low end of that. Tips are rare as gently caress. Increasingly you are unlikely to be guaranteed any hours in a week.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress this gay government

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

They're not gay, that would be alienate their voter block.

Lol if you don't think John key beigely panders to the pink vote every chance he gets while his south Auckland mps vote against human rights for reasons of "community culture" just like labour.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
^ I would hope so too, I just don't think John sees it as a problem.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

New Zealand Politics - WarpedNaba arrested on domestic terrorism charges

Does it count as domestic if the victim exclusively serves foreign interests?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That is some remarkably on the nose brand synergy.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Maybe it'll be good news

Ahahaha Hahaha Ahahaha

"Enjoy these new toll roads which should ease congestion. I'm not sure how as public transport will remain hosed. Oh look, we have a surplus from the tolls, let's lower the top tax rate"

*John Key and Bill English cum so violently that Deborah Cone Hill drowns.

That is literally the only way good news comes out of tomorrow's announcement.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There's always the off chance they prove useful and popular and turn an actual profit.

Obviously if this happens they will immediately be sold to an offshore company which triples fares, fires 90% of the staff and spends literally nothing on maintenance or upgrades until the service literally falls apart.

The sale price will be under two years operational income

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

excuse me but the only people unsafe in cars and other vehicles are teens???

Who do you think keeps running members of the Sons of Accountancy off the road?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

klen dool posted:

I thought you were kidding. Then, I read the article.

Why would stuff give john key the last word in an article about literature, literature awards, and an authors feelings - 3 things which he knows little about and whose opinion in unqualified garbage?

Because NZers overwhelmingly voted for National. Well, I mean, a slight majority. Well, a slight majority of the lowest voter turnout ever.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vagabundo posted:

Hey guys, we have Year 9 kids this year born after 9/11 and the first-gen iPod. That was your "oh gently caress, I'm old" bit of information for today.

You bastard

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
On my phone so can't link but I'm really enjoying everyone (including the police lol) freaking out about masked, armed gangstalkers at Parnell train station based on what is clearly some lovely viral marketing for a lovely student film.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Wizard posted:

There's been more than one complaint over the last few weeks if I'm reading that article properly.

If it is bullshit they will almost certainly be getting more than a warning now.

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=589_1422342736

Definitely lovely viral marketing.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Holy poo poo the comments.

"My dad would just beat them up, Kevin. Baby".

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

Marketing for what Infotainment?

Anyway, the "Twins of Atticus" have come forward and been given a good talking to by police.

A lovely student film. Read the liveleak post.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Someone needs to snap a photo of him crying while drinking a shandy. Gone.

E: or just acknowledging domestic violence is bad.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
John key is sunk cost fallacy pressed into human shape and wrapped in a skin made of smug

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dear Nz authorities, I hope John Key dies.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Soon or at a natural rate? *dials 11 and hovers over the 1 key*

Immediately. :colbert:

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Exclamation Marx posted:

Disabled parking spot

He's pretty badly ethically disabled tbf.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

focal ischemia posted:

y'all know making fun of sports fans and people who join the military just reeks of class-ism right?

Sportspeople are/are inviolably linked to the upper class in nz.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

He said sports fans, not sports people.

I guess politicians don't plea fealty to the all blacks / any other sports team that wins then?

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm not sure I agree here - you can think war is wrong but you can think poo poo-heads like Isis are worse. Where does your obligation to society lie then? To help stop the bad guys or to make a point about war by not going?

E: I mean one of the legacies of the world wars was an underlining from our elders that war can be a tremendous waste but it doesn't mean we're able to turn a blind eye when people do monumentally evil poo poo to other people and threaten to do it to us. As much as I hate to use this phrase this week, the world is many shades of grey, and barely ever black and white.

Kind of weird to end on that statement after dividing the world into goodies and baddies a la GIJoe.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, the issue is that "the machine" isn't some abstract alien entity, it is literally just enough people following your bullshit "meh, gotta make a living" philosophy. To use your example, if enough people did say "I won't mine coal, as I'm morally opposed to the consequences" or even "because it would be nice for humanity to survive", the coal industry would collapse. Unemployment rates are the grease that keeps the wheels of being a loving rear end in a top hat turning.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

I'M HERE AGAINST MY MORAL WISHES *rips off a stream of .50 cal*

Keep going I'm almost there

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lol jokes I wasn't even oppressing you as subhuman. Smile for the western leader! :)

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
We live in a 21st century capitalist democracy. Equality is having everything you hold dear about your identity used to market bullshit. Seriously.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I really appreciate how much Barnaby Weir sounds like 'buyer beware'. It's kind of like his parents built in a warning label.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Challenge him to a duel for his daughter's hand.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Drape yourself in the American flag, wink, lean in, and slowly and quietly ask "mouth or south?"

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Defile his mother's corpse with your feces and seed.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well, phrase the above as a question I guess. "How stoked are you that I just. .." etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

Is NZ a good country? Can I come some time? My hobbies include misanthropy and being alone. BTW why is half the Star Trek thread in here?

We basically live in an ongoing civil war between artists and farmers. Every 9 years the balance of power flips from one to the other. Right now the farmers are at the pinnacle of their turn.
In short this means the economy, quality of life, quality of governance, respect for human rights, infrastructure and employment are all hosed due to unbelievably myopic thick shitedness.
If you are American please don't say "it's literally lord of the rings!!!11!!" when you arrive. The cultural cringe will make the testicles of any New Zealander in earshot ascend into their stomach.
But at least it's not Australia.

• Locked thread