Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can someone explain to me why they're always mentioning 'ratepayers' and how 'ratepayers will foot the bill' or whatever. Isn't that what rates are actually for? Like, if you pay rates (and other taxes), that's money leaving your pocket regardless of how it's used. You don't lose anything if the revenue is spent on things that aren't somehow directly economically beneficial.

I guess the wider question is: has NZ always been obsessed with having a government and associated bureaucracies that are profitable? Isn't the goal of government to run things as opposed to turning a profit? People seem to think the national party is great because 'they know business!!' but why is that a good thing? Why would you want the government to be run like a business? It makes no sense to me because governments and businesses exist for different reasons and have different fundamental goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Auckland housing 9th least affordable in the world.

Shut the gently caress up, Californians who whine about costs of living.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

San Francisco and San Jose, CA are tied for the 4th least affordable cities.

LA is cheaper though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Checking the dregs of the last thread reminded me that the financial/life plans of 90% of people I know in their mid 20's, including myself, is to build up enough financial and employment capital to move to Australia. It's pretty sad that it's the go-to default plan of people who have foolishly railroaded themselves into a career that will never result in decent money here.

My decision process went:

I am poor > need to raise wages or reduce cost of living. Reduce cost of living > need to move out of Auckland. Move out of Auckland > won't get a job that pays for poo poo.

>> Move to Australia, get paid nearly double what I do now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nah. My only mate my age who isn't destitute is in IT. 100k a year, has a house and no other debts. Pretty :suicide: stuff really.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Was nepotism involved?

Not at all, he basically just changed jobs about ten times with a raise each time. At his current job his most recent project was managing the rehash of the skytower's fiber network (which apparently is a laughable trainwreck). He doesn't know anyone in telecommunications at all, just did all the right stuff at uni, was really lucky w.r.t. his bosses and choosing the right option when opportunities happened. He's also just a really friendly guy in general who can't say no to being invited to xyz function so people think he's really social et al.

I don't know if telecoms counts as IT but he sits in front of a desk and deals with internet related poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

Service industry would be $14 -$20 an hour, the vast majority being at the low end of that. Tips are rare as gently caress. Increasingly you are unlikely to be guaranteed any hours in a week.

This. My gf went through around 3 jobs before she could pin one down that guaranteed a full working week instead of 'part time' of ~30-35 hours.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Solus posted:

According to Winz, that's full time work.

Yeah, I know that because that's what they told her when she couldn't pay her bills and a second job would have made her go backwards thanks to two-jobs tax.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lobsterpillar posted:

Here is a fun Winz fact: if you have a partner who has a job and you don't, and you get a job seeker benefit, your partners job gets secondary tax and the pittance you get from Winz gets primary tax, because "thats just the way we do things".

But then, if your partner has a job chances are your combined income is above the threshold anyway.

My boss had his defacto wife run away to australia on him (at the time it looked like it would be permanent but it ended up being around 3 months). He has two children aged six and three. Winz said they could give him an extra $20 a week with the option of another $4 if he applied for some additional thing! Also, subsidised day care that was still more expensive than getting a babysitter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't understand how the biggest fuckhead in nz can possibly be so famous/infamous. I just don't get it. Why can't he just cease existing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.

:wow:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sweet merciful mother of gently caress, don't read the comments.

Greg M • 26 minutes ago
Count me in Pete, I'm okay with either style but the Fedora would be my preference.

El Jorge • an hour ago
Bash out some WOBH can/stubbie coolers and I'll be a starter for 4-6 off.
A couple of years ago I organised a batch of 40 units and they came in at less than $10 each, If you do a couple of hundred (even thousand) I reckon they would sell like hotcakes in the $10-15 price bracket.
Am happy to place the enquiry with my contacts on your behalf.

RobT • 2 hours ago
Just about everybody that wears a hat, has one already. As complete cost saver why not just make the decorative strip available to interchange with the encumbant one.
Voila! Cheap option easy to post out...simple or not?

Betty Swallocks • 2 hours ago
I'll wear a wooden box in a hole in the ground before I wear a straw hat, but my felt fishing hat would definitely suit one of those bands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

That tram was the most underwhelming piece of poo poo I've ever seen.

^^ what people will eventually be saying.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was meaning more that after a lengthy consultation process we'll settle on reconditioned trams from Uzbekistan at a cost around triple what it would take to buy brand new ones, and then they'll spend ten years constantly breaking down and crashing until the tram system is abolished as a way of cutting costs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe the trams get put into storage for 20 years then sold to a third world country for like a dollar each. Two get donated to Motat, one to the Museum.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bushmaori posted:

100 bucks on a heart attack in the first round.

I will literally start believing in a merciful god if this happens.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

please click here to support my Buying Boomers Bikes kickstarter

It's because young people are simply too poor to pay the inflated rego fees for bikes now. Fees which are inflated to pay for the extra ACC fees accumulated by bike riders. Not to mention, more bikes on the road would mean less cars and less traffic congestion and less pollution. The system works!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah cause they vote.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I feel like you might be bias towards bikes!

I am. Everyone should be. If more people rode motorbikes, there would be less traffic congestion and greater driver awareness of motorbikes which would cut down on accidents a lot. It's the same argument as the cyclist ones except motorbikes pay tax, have warrants, require a license and are able to stop/turn/accelerate like a normal vehicle.

I'm realistic enough to know this will never happen and that they'll eventually be made completely illegal for the greater good.

THE GREATER GOOD.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Motorbikes wake up the entire loving neighbourhood at 2am. gently caress Motorbikes, ride something fuel efficient for a change.

Those aren't motorbikes, they're dickheads. A common misconception.

Also one of my motorbikes achieves 3.5L/100km :colbert:

Midget Fist posted:

True, and yet most people who bike also own cars. But really it doesn't matter as transport infrastructure is vital infrastructure and should be available to all on a non user-pays basis, pedestrian through to SUV driver.

Which means I'm paying double what most people do. But you're right in saying that it should be available to all, I just think the taxing regime is really stupid and senseless.

Don't get me started on how RUC applies equally to a multi-ton behemoth as it does to a 1.4 kia rio.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Without having to make any effort to make certain, I'm 100% sure Peters has used the term 'johnnie foreigner' in conversation multiple times.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How is that the same at all...? Why is it that I can drive a 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1D (..handling by lotus...) a given distance on our roads and somehow pay the same tax as a 2008 Kia Rio 1.4D with the latest emissions technology and half the weight? The entire thing is a holdover from decades ago when 'Diesel' was synonymous with 'Heavy transport' and it was a convenient way of taxing truck operators. Why should something justified on the basis of road wear and smog emissions apply to a modern car with up-to-date emissions and the same physical footprint as a petrol vehicle? How is a BMW X5 or range rover with a hulking great petrol engine hauling around 3 tons somehow less harmful? None of it makes any sense at all.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think National have pulled off a remarkable PR coup; they've successfully convinced people to equate criticism of the government with being unpatriotic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

I saw the point made on twitter that no one is actually refuting what she said, but arguing that she shouldn't have said it at all.

Chemically castrate this man and remove his children.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

swampland posted:

No one in new zealand even knows what the gently caress neo liberal means

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Hey guys, we have Year 9 kids this year born after 9/11 and the first-gen iPod. That was your "oh gently caress, I'm old" bit of information for today.

:negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Savour these moments. Every one that passes, the boomers get one step closer to the grave.

I can't even feel better when I read stellar stuff like this because the internet has conditioned it into me that people will go out of their way to absolutely gently caress up everything they come into contact with and this trend is on the rise. It won't matter that they'll be dead because they'll have been replaced by something even worse and the irredeemable pile of excrement that is the human race will grow ever larger and more rancid.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

It's probably better to ask what he has to gain by them finally getting the arse.

We had a VILE EVIL CRIMINAL in our midst but thanks to the diligent self-policing policies of John "Integrity" Key we've exposed him to the fullest without any regard for our political standing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doing statistics doesn't give a statistically meaningful result, peasants :smugbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Catton for office.

She seems switched on. NZ needs more people publicly shaming the staggeringly blasé governing we take for granted. And other poo poo hosed up poo poo that NZers bizarrely think is totally sweet and ok for *reasons*.

Incidentally, her face is the terrifying visage of a predator mid-strike.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 30, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

You seem to be underestimating just how batshit insane the LNP is in comparison to anything NZ has to offer.

My parents live in Aus and this is the impression I get; they seem like they're American-level lunatics.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

John key is sunk cost fallacy pressed into human shape and wrapped in a skin made of smug

Hahahah, holy gently caress!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11396561

Reckon Don Brash is a cat person?

Herald posted:

The views that propelled the National Party close to government a decade ago were "harsh and intolerant," philanthropist Dr Gareth Morgan told a small audience in Orewa today.

The man who gave those views - Dr Don Brash - sat in the audience to hear his famous 2004 speech described as being a "harsh and intolerant view that is intolerant of anyone who is different''.

"We still have a faction in our midst who see admitting culpability... is giving Maori the upper hand. This section of the community is clearly filled with fear."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I know it may seem like a medical condition at first because he seems so out of touch with reality and seems genuinely impaired in some way, as if he can't visualise the thoughts or feelings of other people, but it's actually just called being a rich old white guy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm staggered nobody has brought up the john key hairdye thing in here.

Grow the gently caress up and do parliament you juvenile cunts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Sucks man, it's cocktail night.

Are you referring to us? Because doing Parliament in NZ would kick rear end; kickbacks all day, constant vacations...

Nah I'm meaning the MP's having the political equivalent of NO YOU SHUT UP NO YOU SHUT UP NO YOU SHUT UP NO YOU SHUT UP TIMES INFINITY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can see it being different now because John Key's A Good Bloke is wearing off slightly and the timing of things is just really bad for the nats.

Not holding my breath though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A human heart posted:

the real problem here is having a cradle of filth shirt when you could have one from an actually good black metal band
Satanist spotted, there is no such thing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah but it's a war on terror so it doesn't count as an actual war in your end-of-season stats AFAIK.

Hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Butt Wizard posted:

can you legally declare war on something that isn't technically a nation state? I guess all this poo poo got updated post-9/11 to include terror groups but just curious.

Nope. That's the beauty of it. Because you aren't formally declaring war against a nation state, the enemy aren't legally recognised combatants, they're just random dudes with guns and as such the various rules of war (like don't be torturing, don't be using hollow point rounds et al) don't apply.

awesmoe posted:

im going to see carcass and napalm death so eff yous all

Wait you're going to Iraq??

• Locked thread