Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Jesus Christ I was just about to go to sleep you bastard, now I'll be having the worst nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Rather than giving Slater a chance to actually defend himself, just put him in the nets for an over with Adam Milne, it'd be more humiliating: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ePx61TkXKY

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Slavvy posted:

I am. Everyone should be. If more people rode motorbikes, there would be less traffic congestion and greater driver awareness of motorbikes which would cut down on accidents a lot. It's the same argument as the cyclist ones except motorbikes pay tax, have warrants, require a license and are able to stop/turn/accelerate like a normal vehicle.

I'm realistic enough to know this will never happen and that they'll eventually be made completely illegal for the greater good.

THE GREATER GOOD.

Plus 50 people on scooters and motorbikes at a set of traffic lights looks insanely cool.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Another great headline from Stuff.co.nz, leaping to defend the plucky underdog Plunket in the face of these unfounded accusations of misogyny from the 'nasty left'.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Catton's vicious attack on the democratically elected representatives of the NZ people is a personal insult to the majority of New Zealanders, thus the nasty left is at it again.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Stuff's 4th headline update of the day determined to prove Catton's comments were 100% accurate.

e: also holy poo poo Slater called Catton a 'Taliban Fighter'.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 28, 2015

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Savour these moments. Every one that passes, the boomers get one step closer to the grave.

Conservative millennials are going to be worse than the boomers by the time they're 40.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NZAmoeba posted:

This could either be a good sign for the future of New Zealand, and a warning for John Key, or it's a sign that the kiwis that moved to Australia are coming back :smith:

You seem to be underestimating just how batshit insane the LNP is in comparison to anything NZ has to offer.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Key doesn't believe Catton exists now? Peak Yes, Prime Minister has been reached.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

The ones the United States commits literally don't count because they don't recognise the Intentional Criminal Court so won't ever submit to it and have permanent veto on the Security Council so can't ever be punished for not doing so.

Warcrimes the United States commits are always unintentional, so they don't count indeed.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

The only time I ever heard somebody say "sand friend of the family" irl was talking to a guy at school who was going to join the military :whitewater:

I know we're in D&D and all, but I'm not sure the things that fuckwit teens say has any real bearing on the ethics of most people who choose to join the NZ military for reasons other than 'oh poo poo I need a job'?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

It's mostly just goonery, but it would also be nice if the people we hire to shoot and capture for torture foreign nationals at the behest of our golfing partners were in it as a job rather than because they weren't enough of a sociopath to go into politics.

Are you actually saying you believe the majority of people in the NZ military are there because they're sociopaths rather than because they are in it as a job, or am I just tired and reading this completely wrong?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

focal ischemia posted:

unless you're in the SAS you're not really going to shoot anyone.

i mean, sans recent developments when was the last time our armed forces had actual combat roles?

Yeah this is why I'm confused by some of the things people are saying, given the work that the NZ forces usually does is disaster relief, and peacekeeping as part of our obligations in the pacific and SEA regions.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bobbilljim posted:

what if the troops were trained to help people, and not kill people

What if this was already a thing which happens? :aaaaa:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

"Do we need to persecute them forever for exercising their conscience vote or do we move on happy in the knowledge that the gay members of our community have this equal right?"

Holy poo poo, how thick can one human be?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The mock outrage on behalf of the LGBT community we're seeing this week is just precious.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

fong posted:

great suggestions thanks guys lets hope the GCSB arent hacking my internet

but no serious suggestions for comments I could make to him?

also what a good bloke, look at him here watching the crikkers with richie mccaw like the great average blokes they both are:

Is the joke here that this thread is so out of touch with the NZ population, we don't even notice that Dan Carter is not in fact Richie Mccaw?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Given that I know people from rural areas who, as teenagers in the 90s, had upwards of two friends die a year from preventable crashes with other NZ drivers aged 16-25, I'm going to remain slightly sceptical that this tourist menace is really as big a deal as people are making it out to be, in comparison to the problems we already have...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
The entire country is lovely and it's all the fault of a 45,000 m2 area within Wellington.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Butt Wizard posted:

quote:

Just over half of the survey respondents said they trusted Government to protect their right to privacy, while 40 per cent did not.

I wonder whether that same 50-ish% would say they trust a Labour Government to protect their right of privacy. Makes you think.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Butt Wizard posted:

The North have elected a bigoted old senile attention seeking gently caress who will do nothing to advance their interests.

So, business as usual then?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Vagabundo posted:

Actually Garth George as far as I'm aware is still very much alive. He was still a contributing columnist to the Bay of Plenty Times and Rotorua Daily Post until this month.

These are the last columns by him that I can find, both pulished on the 18th of February this year. No idea why they have different headlines seeing as how they're basically the same column.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503435&objectid=11401998

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/bay-of-plenty-times/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503343&objectid=11403832

Can a state of acute brain death really be considered 'very much alive'?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Exclamation Marx posted:

The only TV I really watch anymore is 6:00 – 7:30 on 3. RIP U Live :'(

Yeah, but it can't be a purely ratings-based thing or we wouldn't have Paul Henry, who's failed (so far!) on:
  • TVNZ breakfast TV
  • Australian breakfast TV
  • 3News late-night TV

I didn't know that Nielson boxes were a thing here tbh.

Paul Henry has never never 'failed' in his life, he was brutally hounded off a collection of networks with smear campaigns orchestrated by slavering hordes of sycophantic politically correct Labour voters, like John Campbell.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Why is Todd Barclay MP represented by a stock photo of a small infant?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Butt Wizard posted:

How the gently caress has John Key 'privatised just about everything'

What is this dribble

Behold the quality of the journalism put forth by the Dirty Digger's tabloid empire.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Vandalseed posted:

As a Centrist, a very unwelcome breed in NZ, I appeal to all of you!

Everyone in this godforsaken country is a centrist, except they still manage to call each other communists and fascists with scant regard for what those words actually mean.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
It's certainly easy to win an election based on having superior 'policy' to the opposition when you just make poo poo up.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm starting to wonder if there is some truth to the idea that successful investment bankers are socially crippled in some way.

Harassing pre-pubescent girls in the street is a time honoured Wall St banker tradition, source: friend from NY whose school was near the Wall St financial district.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

truther posted:

Am I really in the minority thinking this is blown out of proportion?

It's obvious Key stuffed up - but it does seem when he realised, after the waitress told him, he apologised. What else could anyone do?

To me it just seems like he made a mistake, regardless of whatever his opinion is on touching people's hair, and did what any normal person would do when he realised he should stop.

But now I'm seeing 'sexual harassment' and that he should face legal action. What the gently caress.
I don't want to diminish how uncomfortable the waitress feels but really what else could Key have done?

The real story here is not that Key hosed up by harassing a waitress, it's how the National PR smear team leapt into action to target the victim, allowing Key to walk away from the whole situation after apologising and sending the waitress wine, happy in the knowledge his underlings are going to loving destroy her.

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 23, 2015

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Cumslut1895 posted:

I kind of hate Anzac day and all military shame-abrations. I think the best Anzac monument we could build would be shipping home all those bones, digging up all the military graveyards and putting giant piles of rotting bones in the centers and squares of large cities.

You okay there, fella?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I don't really think Key can claim he is NZ's most casual PM until he drunkenly calls a snap election and loses spectacularly.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
I can't tell anymore if everyone in this thread is just baiting Butt Wizard with their posting, or if they're being serious.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

echinopsis posted:

welp they must be some lovely fuckin' jokes if they are exactly the same as what I read on facebook and here people talk, or see on twitter etc.

maybe politics exists on some entirely higher level of irony and joking and I can't comprehend

most if not all

Barons can't help his John Key shitposting, it's a cry for help.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

You should probably consider a career as a Stuff journalist if you're going to take quotes that out of context (nowhere in that post did I suggest that Key isn't a slimy poo poo for his hair pulling antics).

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

The Master's tools cannot dismantle the Master's house, which is exactly why I advocate for violent Marxist revolution of the proletariat instead of participating in society to make it better. If anything, I actively try to make society worse so that others can realise the only real option for change is not by democratic participation but through armed and violent resistance followed by systemic purges of the upper class.

Come now we all know, as citizens of the country that embraced Thatcherism with open arms, that society doesn't exist.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The prime minister isn't supposed to be a president/king position. He's the lead/organising minister of a group but it tends to regress back to a quasi ruler due to laziness and stupidity.

Which I feel is one of the best arguments for republicanism in NZ, so we can elect a mainly ceremonial president with a similar set of responsibilities/powers as the Governor-General. Then maybe we could move on from this stupid idea of our PMs being de facto head of state. Even if it didn't really change anything, at least you might not have to listen as many idiots talking about the only reason they vote for a particular party is due to none of the other party leaders 'being good/strong enough to lead our country'.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ivor Biggun posted:

NZ schools should (probably) teach more civics, people are usually surprised when I tell them that the head of state is the Governor General acting on behalf of the Queen.

[fake edit] I've been out of school so long I have no idea what they're teaching any more. Maybe people just aren't learning good.

Anecdotal, but a lot of people I know who finished high school in the last few years have told me they received zero civics instruction (ie. at no point during their education were they even taught the basics of our parliamentary system, or about MMP). Are high schools not allowed to teach kids about our voting system in case it ~*~influences~*~ their political leanings?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
NSFW that poo poo for the love of god.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Isn't 90% of this thread made up of unhinged ranting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Ban the flag entirely, imo, minimum 5 years imprisonment for possession of a lapel flag, up to 25 years for flying a flag on private property.

• Locked thread