Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Farmers in the US do that whole take nothing but government handouts and complain about other people getting government handouts.

Blinders like woah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

It's not in their interest to pollute their supply

But it's fine to gently caress the water up for everyone else

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
“If the community wants to ensure that certain rivers and lakes are safe for swimming that is supported within the NPS.

“But the NPS also requires they be fully informed as to the effect upon jobs, rates and their local economy when making that choice.

“To leap into swimming as the gold standard for all, without some sort of exceptions regime, will likely cost urban ratepayers massively in the pocket."

gently caress clean water, jobs! JOBS AND TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

I guess the wider question is: has NZ always been obsessed with having a government and associated bureaucracies that are profitable?

No, people used to care if it worked and kept the Hun at bay.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
A police officer who put stones, dirt and sticks in the engine oil of a couple's Toyota Land Cruiser has admitted a charge of intentional damage.

Constable Darrin O'Donnell was one of a group of police officers that searched the home of Tania Kahaki and Jon Lamb at Marotiri, 40km north of Taupo, while the couple were at work last August.

Police also tipped moisturising cream and hair gel through the couple's clothing and tipped paint over power tools.

Lamb added: "They did not need to do all that. I think they came to look for particular items and we had nothing to do with it and when they couldn't find what they wanted they got p...ed off and started damaging our gear."

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Of course English blames "too much regulation"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

dusty posted:

Choom gang

You don't have to say it's illegal cultivation when the thing is illegal, cops.

Also, it shouldn't be illegal and you're wasting police resources on it, much like your bullshit zero tolerance on speeding poo poo.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Infotainment! posted:

gently caress this gay government

They're not gay, that would be alienate their voter block.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

Because assassinating a head of state tends to cause problems for the nation, no matter how worthless he is.

New Zealand Politics - WarpedNaba arrested on domestic terrorism charges

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

Maybe it'll be good news

Auckland is being closed down and everyone in it brutally murdered.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Lobsterpillar posted:

So the National Library is being run into the ground by the people who run it. (Background - the National Library is a government run library that provides books to school teachers for use in class. Teachers can go into the library and pick out a whole bunch of books, or can email the library and ask for a bunch of books on a particular topic, which get shipped out to them at the librarys expense.) It seems like the people who run it want to shut it down, so they're changing things so that people no longer use it, and then use that as justification that people don't use it. Many new teachers don't even know the service exists, and its in the interests of upper management to keep it that way.
What they're doing is changing from sending out non-fiction, curriculum based books, to only sending out fiction, forcing schools to buy their own non-fiction resources (and poor/remote schools will of course by the hardest hit.
I have known people who work for the National Library, and this is just one last push in a concerted effort to shut them down. After the christchurch earthquake, there was pressure from the wellington based management to shut down the christchurch centre and put basically everyone in christchurch out of a job. The people who buy new books are idiots, and will buy a handful or none of books that their clients (the teachers) have actually asked for, and instead buy a whole bunch of 'classic' literature that nobody ever gets out. When it comes to 'weeding', which involves throwing out outdated/damaged books, the non-fiction is practically untouched and brand new fiction books get thrown out (although this may be more staff incompetence/indifference rather than policy).

tl;dr: The National government is putting yet another policy into place that will harm the school system.

Smart people don't vote for regressive right wing shitbags.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Sell the tram pay system to a bunch of lazy australians, have everything break, then buy it back at the cost of millions to the tax payers.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

Meanwhile in Grey Lynn, some rich person cares enough about the heritage status of their street to burn down a new house:

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11391450

Literally murder the rich and feast on their bloated carcases.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

please click here to support my Buying Boomers Bikes kickstarter

excuse me but the only people unsafe in cars and other vehicles are teens???

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

It's because young people are simply too poor to pay the inflated rego fees for bikes now. Fees which are inflated to pay for the extra ACC fees accumulated by bike riders. Not to mention, more bikes on the road would mean less cars and less traffic congestion and less pollution. The system works!

I feel like you might be bias towards bikes!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

quote:

"I don't see you as an ambassador for our country, I see you as a traitor," Plunket said.

"I'm only having a crack at you now because you're being such an ungrateful hua, Eleanor Catton."

RadioLive network director Cliff Joiner confirmed the word used was "hua", a Maori slang word.

Tom Roa of Waikato University's Maori department said "hua" was a shortened version of "upoko kohua", which meant "may your head be boiled and eaten".

Ah, so instead he wanted her murdered.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

No hua used to talk about paua guts/poo poo, basically the part of paua you don't eat is hua.

Whether that's actually what he meant is something else. His intonation is weird as gently caress anyway so it's hard to tell.

He talks exactly like the type of person who would poo poo talk an "intellectual" for speaking their mind about how poo poo their country is.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Slavvy posted:

Chemically castrate this man and remove his children.

Nah, just burn him to death in the town square.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Stuff's 4th headline update of the day determined to prove Catton's comments were 100% accurate.

We should demonise people who get famous for speaking up about tall poppy syndrome!

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Vagabundo posted:

Hey guys, we have Year 9 kids this year born after 9/11 and the first-gen iPod. That was your "oh gently caress, I'm old" bit of information for today.

9/11 was 25 years ago. The car was invented 5000 years ago. World War II happened 80,000 years ago.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ghostlight posted:

Catton for office.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Infotainment! posted:

John key is lovely trash diapers pressed into human shape and wrapped in a skin made of twat

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

He deserves it for literally everything he's ever said or done

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Sam's back! :swoon:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Heil Key

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
if it makes a group of pissy christians mad then do it twice as much.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

A human heart posted:

the real problem here is having a cradle of filth shirt when you could have one from an actually good black metal band

john key is gonna kick ur rear end

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

we're at war btw

cool that means we can legally overthrow the government with force now

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

I saw this an it's amazing. Also the fact they're manhunting for the person. loving Lmao.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
so if (when) ISIS attack NZ, how's Jonno Keydawg gonna respond to the families/country?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Infotainment! posted:

Dear Nz authorities, I hope John Key dies.

Soon or at a natural rate? *dials 11 and hovers over the 1 key*

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

Disabled parking spot

I hope someone chainsaws off his face.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

klen dool posted:

I think we should be publicly asking any members of the armed forces to not go to Iraq. The sad thing is that they probably want to go.

The only people dumb enough to join the armed forces are the kind of people who actively want to go murder people in a far off land and love that beer drinking bloke Mr. Key, yes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Butt Wizard posted:

sportsball huh what a funny and cool aloof original joke

What an intensely strange thing to get mad about.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Butt Wizard posted:

If I got mad every time someone tried to rehash a long-since played-out joke on the internet, I'd be dead many many times over.

You sound pretty mad.

Then again sportsball fans are often quick to anger.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Butt Wizard posted:

The economy might be doing OK

*sniffs*

Huh, I can smell an aroma of bullshit

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

klen dool posted:

What about people that join the military because they want to soldier? I do know a couple ex-army guys, and they didn't need the money, and they didn't want to just fight for fightings sake.

In a just world those people would be taken away to nice safe facilities to have people help them overcome their psychological problems.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

focal ischemia posted:

y'all know making fun of sports fans and people who join the military just reeks of class-ism right?

No it doesn't you idiot.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Ghostlight posted:

Most of the recruits I would guess are just regular people doing their job and defending the country/securing the world.

Maybe they should learn that patriotism is weird as gently caress and you can protect the world better than going places at the behest of the US/UK to shoot "terrorists"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
yo, you know you can do disaster relief without having to be broken down to see people as threats, or trained to murder on the order of someone in the US/UK because our PM is a spineless turd, right?

• Locked thread