Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

cptn_dr posted:

Hmm, the new and popular United Future dude is standing in my electorate. A bunch of my normally sensible friends have been impressed by him.

So it looks like I'm about to read up on UF's policies in this TYOOL 2017. Funny how these things go.

My general understanding of them the last time I looked was that when it comes to social welfare etc they're actually pretty good. The "feed the poor" type of Christian. Why they sided with National though...

edit: I was another foreign kiwi voting at the High Commission in Ottawa as I happened to be visiting that city when polls opened (I live in Montreal now) I was their first customer through the door, so the guy working there who resembled Santa was being very careful with making sure he got the paper work right.

Registered in Epsom, voted Green/Goldsmith

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I remember reading somewhere that the laws were brought in to counter politicians who would gather up a big crowd at a bar, pay for everyone's drinks, and then when they're all appropriately sloshed, lead them to the polling booth reminding them who just paid for all their free booze. This sort of poo poo went down in the late 1800's.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Moneyhavers, now might be a good time to donate some cash to the Greens to help in their Get-Out-The-Vote efforts, and reach those who are typically difficult to reach or under-motivated, to get them to submit their vote.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

awesmoe posted:

yeah I'm having trouble balancing the good green MPs vs the Not Good green leadership/management and I think I've come down on the side of just voting labour. I think I'd rather have competent, okay policies than incompetent people with better policies. I'll be happy to vote green again if you can convince me that the people responsible for running a candidate in ohairu and for literally everything to do with the turei debacle won't be involved in...well, any sort of decision making.

I prefer to vote for people who actually believe in something, and will stand for their values even when it's unpopular. Labour caves the second a policy only has 49% support from the electorate.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Link the tweets or screenshots at least for those of us who aren't on Twitter.

Also I'm glad my vote was finally counted and it made a difference!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Varkk posted:

I would rather live in a society whose economic and social policies and structure deal with a the root cause.

While you're not wrong, there's the catch that these specific people are cold and hungry *right now*, which is the problem with just focusing on the long term solutions. I hate it too, the whole thing is hosed from decades of neglect.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Slavvy posted:

I don't see the problem, there are lots of dangerous sports where you have to balance performance vs possibility of death. Yeah, it'd be carnage for the first few years but eventually pharmaceutical equilibrium would set in and everything would be like before but better stronger faster. See: cycling.

They typically die of a heart failure in their early 40s, long after they've served their use for athletics.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Varkk posted:

I feel we need to bring attention to it and call it out when we see it. Otherwise it festers away hidden beneath the surface. Especially when it involves factually incorrect information which can be easily shot down.

Yeah but is there anything in the news article shooting it down, or is it just repeating his words verbatim?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
It's not illegal until a Judge tells you not to do it anymore

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Not being able to see out of the bus windows was legit frustrating though

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

Pretty sure the under 35 viewership of Breakfast is zero

I watched it in the morning while having my breakfast and making my lunch for the day, mainly as a way to get an idea of the headlines overnight. I switched away to the other one when Hosking joined though.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
7 Days is probably the closest we've had

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I like them both, but do have a personal philosophy that power and leadership should only go to those who don't want such a position. So I'd probably vote Marama (if it wasn't a delegate based thing)

And yeah there's not much JAG brings to the table that isn't already covered by James.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The only time I went to the King's Arms was to see a Jon Toogood acoustic set where he played a whole bunch of kiwi classics, just before I left NZ indefinitely. He had some A+ banter with the crowd talking about various songs and the stories behind them. Felt like an appropriate sendoff for me, as the whole thing was just condensed New Zealand.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I wonder if this is the media trying to sink the possibility of RNZ expanding as a public broadcaster, which they may feel threatened by.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

Auckland is great y'all are haters. Like do you know how many beaches there are in Auckland? And also the weather there is much warmer than Welly, and you don't have to deal with non-stop extreme wind. Wellington is also great though don't get me wrong, just saying don't write off Auckland if your wife is dead set on it. Welly will feel really small after Japan.

Doesn't Dunedin also have a bit of an IT industry now too? Only go to Dunedin if you hate yourself and/or you absolutely must live driving distance to ski fields, though (and even then Auckland and Wellington are just about as close)

It depends a lot on what his wife means by 'city girl', because Auckland's "city" is pretty meh compared to Wellington's city culture. But yes, there's the beaches and better weather (cars mandatory to really make any use of those beaches). If you like hiking, Wellington has multiple trailheads you can take a normal bus to.

What sort of Windows work are you doing? You mention documenting tick boxes, are you manually installing things? Or are you working distributed magic with powershell? If it's the later, you should check out what Xero has on offer, which is a "former startup" that's now pretty big, and runs on a Windows platform in AWS, running a distributed .NET application with MSSQL backend. Finding skilled Windows engineers who aren't just desktop support guys is a challenge. I worked there for 5 years, and left a year ago (I live in Montreal now), but unless something dramatic has changed in the past year, it's a great place to work. Offices for the Operations team are in Wellington and Auckland as well, so you'd have options. Otherwise there's also TradeMe, Datacom, Fronde, probably most of the banks, you should find something.

Job sites are TradeMe, and Seek, but also don't be afraid to apply direct on their websites when you hear about a cool company worth digging into.

Relocation: You're unlikely to get this. Most of the time if we interviewed someone who was currently overseas, it's because they were already planning on being here (ideally with tickets booked) and we'd do interviews over Skype/Hangouts. Plenty of the people I hired had just arrived in the country without a job yet, so it's not a crazy thing to attempt.

Salary: really depends on your skillset, but for our Site Reliability Engineers, I don't think anyone was less than 80K (plus bonuses). Don't know about more mainstream IT support salaries.

(PMs welcome for more specific questions, I worked for Xero in both their Wellington and Auckland offices, and was a Team Lead involved in hiring)

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah I'd be surprised if I never lived in NZ again, I just have no clear idea of when that'll be.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm wondering just how you go from burning some garbage (why?) to having most of your body in flames. The story is weird and I wonder if there's more weirdness going on there

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Xik posted:

Feels like it's too early to reinforce the "all the left does is create debt" thing

e: beaten and said in a better way

This literally happens regardless of if debt increased under right wing governments and decreased under left wing governments. Facts don't matter, it's all narrative when it comes to DEBT.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Everything is going well for me, so why aren't I being helped?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Please tl:dr that poo poo because even as someone into politics, 9 minutes of that useless petty braying is too loving much

• Locked thread