Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Judging by the market in Christchurch though I'm really not sure that would help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Oh nice, another round of those hilarious South Island jokes.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Butt Wizard posted:

I'm probably misreading what you're saying here, but an earthquake in the South Island is not unforeseeable event. The Alpine Fault has a monumentally high chance of rupturing in the next 50 years (in geological time frames). It'd be like Aucklanders going "A volcano? In Auckland?" if the volcanic field got restless again.

The problem with that is facts. Sure we all knew the Alpine Fault existed, but it's also a comparatively long way away from Christchurch. Unless the scale of earthquake coming from it was "Literal Armageddon" then Chch would have been more or less fine. The issue was a totally unknown fault developed an ruptured just a few kilometers away from the city center. Of course you'll also know it really wasn't a big earthquake, only 6.1, but a very unique geology amplified and caused significant self reinforcing waves to hit the CBD. If you think science is within a anything less than decades of being able to predict in any way an event like that you'd be very wrong.

So the risk was literally as high as it would be in any NZ city or lower, given our current levels of technology. So while you may be right about there being an Alpine fault earthquake in the future it really has no relevance whatsoever to this situation.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

door.jar posted:

In unrelated news, Canterbury won't have real democracy until at least 2019 under the new proposal released today:
http://norightturn.blogspot.co.nz/2015/03/no-democracy-for-canterbury.html

The Government appointed ECan has overseen a massive expansion of dairy farming in Canterbury that has reduced water quality and seen a massive increase in irrigation rights. In some cases the people deciding on water rights issues also directly benefit from them. This is in contradiction with general public opinion in polls I've seen but of course, we get no say and won't in the near future.

I guess I'd like to think it has something to do with people in Chch being worn down from the quakes and unable to muster the strength to fight back against this, but the sad fact is in the current political climate it could happen anywhere in the country.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

South Island. Next.

Could you gently caress off please? Honestly, do we really need this literal 'dad joke' level of humor on every second page?

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Butt Wizard posted:

If you started to get too picky about the humour in this thread then there wouldn't be any posts in it.

It's just not amazingly funny when nationally, but particularly in the South Island we are seeing a massive drop off in political interest. People come into this thread and try to get involved in what is usually a decently interesting discussion and they get mocked for not talking about Auckland.

I get that you think it's super witty but it's actually really boring for everyone except you two.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
A young David Cunliffe I guess..

Edit: Thanks for the avatar, and I was overly sensitive yesterday, sorry about that.. :3:

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

quote:

Mr Key has admitted the party held off announcing more new policies for Northland following the criticisms of its 10 bridge policy, The New Zealand Herald reports.

That seems somewhat....childish?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFyKQLiYLAE

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

dusty posted:

I like how the 49% Colmar poll was released on Sunday and noone in this thread has even referred to it.

5 terms and a knighthood

It's not really a news flash that government support is running high when everyone is whipped up into a pro war frenzy at the moment.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Butt Wizard posted:

It won't get rid of him now but it may cause some people in the party to question whether he'll have the same mass appeal in 2017.

Nah, Facebook comments are coming down pretty strongly in favor of "PC gone mad", and we all know that's where most news outlets gauge public opinion now.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
https://soundcloud.com/radiohauraki/jeremy-wells-like-mike-hosking-rant-april-24-2015

:love: Jeremy Wells :love:

Edit: Kaikoura just got hit by a substantial quake, it felt pretty loving scarey down here and I haven't seen any info coming from the area yet.

http://geonet.org.nz/quakes/region/newzealand/2015p305812

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 24, 2015

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Lancelot posted:

today I'm gonna remember the Maori jailed for objecting to being conscripted into the army of their violent colonial oppressors to fight for a foreign monarchy which invaded their land and illegally dispossessed them of it

Well said.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
"Te Pepe Tamariki, Te Papa Aotearoa"

Pararoid fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 16, 2015

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Exclamation Marx posted:

haha i didn't notice this

Countdown till that gif shows up on Stuff/Herald/TV3 :D

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Oh god! She's crushing her!

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Hey Goons, watch Campbell tonight.

It's the last one and it's a nice lazy way to send a message that you'd like to see actual journalism on TV. They're aiming for 500,000.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

bobbilljim posted:

how exactly will I be sending a message. I don't have the special ratings tv

Watch it online. You've got to assume they can track that? Right? (I have no idea)

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Exclamation Marx posted:

Campbell got 532,000 viewers with +1 taken in account, which is nice.

And he was apparently twice as personally popular as Henry or Hosking

I wonder what figures we'd be looking at if streaming and VoDs were taken into account. I'm really not sure, just genuinely curious since that's the way almost everyone I know except oldies watches the news.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I think the issue is that Hughes just isn't really old enough to be a Captain.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Whoa, there will be some serious hand wringing going on at Mediaworks right now!

What's the bet the 'solution' is a massive swing to the right?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
More proof Colin Craig is a reptilian; he was basking. Also he managed to hide his webbed toes.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Rentals in Christchurch are a nightmare. If you don't want to share a laundry/other spaces you're looking at at least $350 and even then we're talking about a dilapidated shack in a ~literal~ Fallout: Christchurch wasteland unless you want to live in New Brighton which has gone really really down hill and this is coming from someone who grew up on very much the wrong side of the tracks (Phillipstown).

We took a place a year and a half ago for $250 a week that had severe liquefaction, carpets utterly stained with animal piss, connected to a condemned empty flat with squatters and was just generally really filthy and cleaned it up out of our our own pocket since that was really the only option. Now we're kinda stuck here since nothing liveable is coming on the market in our price range.

Winge winge, but in the end I just imagine how much different things would have been if the government had actually held insurance companies to the policies they'd been selling and issued a maximum resolution time.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I love the part where he says all his donations to the party were actually loans so they may not actually be able to afford to get rid of him; that's some great irony.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

fong posted:

My hope is he'll be replaced by someone equally incompetent and Theyll fade into obscurity. My worry is that he's poured enough money into the advertising that theyre a legitimate party, and they'll stick around with a better leader.

Agreed. I'm not sure David Farrier has done us any favors on this one :argh:

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Shouldn't the discussion be 'Should we become a republic'? If yes, then we clearly need a new flag, if no, then it's just a re-branding to a new corporate logo, isn't it?

Objectives like raising level of patriotism don't seem particularly positive to me given the influence that kind of thing has over seas..

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

puchu posted:

I agree with this but I don't think republicanism is going to triumph in NZ in the next decade or so.

Agreed.

It just seems like screwed up timing when our second biggest economic centre is still in ruins, which should by all accounts take at least 10 years to get back on it's feet (j/k more like 30 at the current rate).

It will be interesting to see the current flag become an anti-government symbol though.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

puchu posted:

haha if we call these people names with boring unoriginal satire they will no longer hold their current political beliefs, this will definitely work and they haven't just ignored us in the past

The thing is these kids have never even heard what some might consider to be unoriginal satire.

I'd guarantee some of the attendees would have practically never heard the opinions of people who are against the government outside of maybe a glance at a picture of Greenpeace on parliament's roof or something similar.

I'm not suggesting that bombarding their Facebook event is a great way to make these kids become aware that there are other points of view, but it's better than nothing.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Are we still doing this soiling the ballot thing that Winston was talking about?

Can that really nullify the referendum?

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The most sensible method would be an initial referendum that asks if we want a new flag, if that's a yes then a second referendum with the current flag as an option for those who change their minds. That option either costs the same or less than the current version.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
That would be an improvement too. It's not a hard thing to improve on really.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Oh god I'm going to vomit. Turnball singing Keys praises as a great example...

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
poo poo, better get onto spinning Red Peak so the Greens don't get the credit if it wins.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Or the Herald! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11519500 (Ugh)

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Slavvy posted:

Why are you proud of this? Nuclear weapons are terrible, but that's neither here nor there seeing as we'll never have any. Nuclear power is A Good Thing and will now never happen because of retarded, ill-thought-out crowd pleasing policy from decades ago.

Is what people said before a combination of Fukushima and the Christchurch earthquakes reminded everyone how what a terrible idea a terrestrial nuclear power plant in New Zealand would be.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Ghostlight posted:

But to be fair, those people are obviously unaware that Fukushima weathered the earthquake in a textbook manner, it was the 13 foot tsunami that killed it.

Yes exactly, the outcomes of major seismic events are extremely unpredictable.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
3News.co.nz is running a story with the following byline: "Labour is swallowing an enormous, filthy, stinking, rotten, maggot-infested dead rat called the Trans-Pacific Partnership."

Once you click it you discover it's actually an opinion piece by Gower, but....really?

http://www.3news.co.nz/opinion/opinion-labour-swallowing-tppa-rats-2015101316#axzz3oIhrN027

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The problem is the attention span of the average person has already been exceeded on this one; the last thing most people will remember about this is that Labour supports rapists.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Religion just has a bad reputation here; its political poison and no politician that wants to break 5% will touch it, as compared to the US where you can't get elected to a community board without proclaiming your religious beliefs.

If I'm asked directly though, I would respond with agnostic, since I find that leads to a more balanced conversation that the opposing side actually listens to, so I guess I do agree that Atheist carries baggage, but in no small part due to the attitude towards it we've been discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Kinda posted already I know, but seriously, Jeremy Wells and the Back of the Y guys have a new web series called Stuntline.

"The country's first stunt-based news and current affairs show hosted by New Zealand’s premiere dare devil stuntman, Randy Cambell."

http://www.watchme.co.nz/stunt-line/

• Locked thread