Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
emminou
May 25, 2006

He has a Whale Oil tattoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Is this actually an honest-to-god real thing? I saw it for the first time today in an article about Catton, and I'm hearing it again here. Is "Green Taliban" really a thing Slater's people are saying?

holy poo poo I've only been away from NZ for two loving years what the everfucking poo poo happened. I mean we were always kinda poo poo but jesus christ really?

Also I'm laughing my rear end off at Plunket's chickenshit backpedaling. It's like a 7 year-old boy saying whaka as "fucker" then going "NO MUM I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN CANOES".

He didn't just call her a member of the "green Taliban", he wrote a post titled: "GREEN TALIBAN FIGHTER ELEANOR CATTON ATTACKS MOST POPULAR PM IN RECENT HISTORY".

But yeah, is a term that's been around for a while. It goes nicely with "feminazi".

emminou
May 25, 2006

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Yes but why.

The comparison makes no sense at all. I guess they both really like the colour green.

Can I start calling Peter Dunne "Pope Alexander VI" now? I don't know if he's a sex offender but his hair certainly is.

From Slater's perspective, they're both bad things. Maybe it's meant as a comment on fanaticism?

emminou
May 25, 2006

^^ With friends like that, it's no wonder he's the Most Popular Prime Minister in Recent History.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Everybody loves rugger. Only terrorists love reading.

It's true, the Taliban are well known for their love of books.

emminou fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 28, 2015

emminou
May 25, 2006

Infotainment! posted:

On my phone so can't link but I'm really enjoying everyone (including the police lol) freaking out about masked, armed gangstalkers at Parnell train station based on what is clearly some lovely viral marketing for a lovely student film.

We strongly encourage the people in these pics to make contact with us so we can have a chat about their recent activities around Parnell and in The Domain.
If you or your friends know who they are, drop a txt to Detective Peter Mortimer on 021 1912976 or call 111 if you see them in your travels.
It appears these two people are carrying firearms of some sort which, aside from being incredibly scary for people who encounter them, is incredibly dangerous for the masked individuals themselves.
When Police are notified of people carrying and displaying weapons in public, we respond with armed officers.
We have no way of knowing until we seize a 'weapon' whether it's real or imitation so we always treat it as real.
Wise up. Drop the masked act and come and chat with us about how to play safely.

emminou
May 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKrPg8fkV_o

emminou
May 25, 2006

I think we can all agree this is the only good thing Paul Henry has ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD4ma24NfL4

emminou
May 25, 2006

fong posted:

John Key has a thing for hair, its a bit weird but its an appropriately bland kiwi kink. In England or the US it'd be sex workers and drugs, here its just some gross inappropriate touching of stranger's hair.

Honestly, it'd be better if he were paying someone to let him touch her hair, at least that's consensual.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Somfin posted:

I dunno, 'sexual harrasser' is gonna be a pretty easy sell for people to vote against.

I'd like to think so, but cutting funding for Christchurch's rape crisis service or palling around with Tony Veitch didn't do much to his popularity; the people who support him will find ways to downplay this as a misunderstanding.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

a normal person wouldn't keep touching somebody's hair over a period of weeks when they had made it clear they didn't like it

A normal person wouldn't tug on an unfamiliar woman's hair in the first place.

emminou
May 25, 2006

My submission:

emminou
May 25, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

This is some gold standard cyberbullying.

Trolling Young Nats is funny but comparing John Key to Hitler seems a little off, considering.

emminou
May 25, 2006

emminou
May 25, 2006

emminou
May 25, 2006

Varkk posted:

Remember that time John Key went on his radio show and talked about which actresses he wanted to gently caress? Good times.

And then oversaw the shutdown of Christchurch's Rape Crisis services at a time when sexual assaults were on the rise.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I know far more about John Key's penis and what he does with it than I would like to, in an ideal world.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Slater on Islam.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I'm glad to see John Key is having fun on his holiday. :angel:

emminou
May 25, 2006

John Key can't help being eye candy.

emminou
May 25, 2006

It was so upsetting.

bobbilljim posted:

Can someone give us the low down?

I might get some of the details wrong, but as I understood it, female Green and Labour MPs were calling a point of order on Key for accusing Labour of backing rapists yesterday. More specifically, they were identifying themselves as victims of sexual violence who were upset by Key's comments and asking for it to be ruled unparliamentary.

Metiria Turei, Jan Logie and Poto Williams all spoke, then Carter refused to let Catherine Delahunty and Nanaia Mahuta to speak, and finally he ejected Marama Davidson for trying to speak. At that point, the Greens and many of Labour's female MPs walked out.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Of the forty New Zealanders being detained on Australia's Christmas Island, one is a criminal who has been convicted of indecently assaulting a child.

However none are rapists or murderers.

Obviously how they're being treated is awful no matter what crimes they've committed, but this makes Key's comments even more inexcusable.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

This is such loving gross journalism.

The Herald spoke to her last night when she didn't know, which is when all the quotes from her are. Then they watched her and her mother's facebook until it was updated that the sister had died, then tried to ring her again today. All for the coveted NZ angle that has somehow become mandatory for every world event the media reports on.

This is foul. It was bad enough when Stephanie Key's presence in Paris was being talked about on Stuff as a "kiwi connection", but harassing someone who is in a foreign country after her sister just died (and who is possibly wondering about the wellbeing of her other friends, too) just because it provides a tenuous connection to New Zealand is so far beyond the pale. Poor girl.

emminou
May 25, 2006

mirthdefect posted:

A vegan, a crossfitter and someone who has been to Kelburn campus walk into a bar

A vegan, crossfitting atheist walks into a bar on Kelburn campus...

emminou
May 25, 2006

emminou
May 25, 2006

Don't vote for a new fleg guys.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Kiwiblog publishes an article calling for the immediate cessation of Muslim immigration, hides behind "it was a guest post! I don't endorse it!"

emminou
May 25, 2006

The best thing about living in New Zealand is having a prime minister who never hesitates to show his utter disdain for rape victims.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Exclamation Marx posted:

A spokesperson for Key told the Guardian: “The prime minister does these interviews in the spirit of Christmas and the content is decided by the hosts."

The spirit of Christmas: jokes about being violently sexually assaulted.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

What's that top=left Aussie one with the white cross all about? I'm sure I've seen it actually flying over here, mainly round Southland I think

It's the Eureka Flag.

emminou
May 25, 2006

This is a flag I can believe in.

Anyway, here's some more high quality reporting by the capital's newspaper:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emminou
May 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cpgO9pg-48

A transcript is available here.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Infotainment! posted:

He liked his own status. National party social media incompetence makes me unreasonably angry.

I want to believe he used one of the other newfangled reactions. The crying one, hopefully.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Vagina Jones posted:

"Key poised to throw weight behind Helen Clark"

No Stuff, the government has to endorse her in order for Helen to run for the job.

The responses from his fans to the announcement they're endorsing her are great:

emminou
May 25, 2006

from the stuff article about this posted:

Defence lawyer Arthur Fairley produced half a dozen photographs of the accused in close company or embraces with the complainants, which he said the accused had gathered in a concerted effort to prove the allegations against him were baseless.

Fairley contended the girls would never have been in such close proximity with the accused, let alone be photographed with him, if he had abused them.

This is an insane argument.

emminou
May 25, 2006

This was on the cover of this week/month/whatever's North and South. Based on a quick flick though, the story is a profile of moderate/progressive Muslim families, but this is still such a lovely thing to put on the cover (and, as someone pointed out to me, a betrayal of the story's subjects!) - it's perpetuating the idea of Muslims as an external threat to this country, and the use of a headscarf-wearing woman as a shorthand for "scary" radical Islamists is a significant part of the reason they're so frequently targeted by Islamophobes. It's frustrating how they can be portrayed as both passive victims and a threat to our modern way of life.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Steve Chadwick had a bill on the subject back in 2010:

quote:

A Labour MP has taken the controversial step of proposing a new law to legalise abortion on request for women up to 24 weeks into a pregnancy.

Steve Chadwick, a midwife and former associate health minister, is gauging support for what would be the first changes to abortion law since 1978.

The Abortion Supervisory Committee has repeatedly urged Parliament to review the Contraception, Sterilisation and Abortion Act, which states the legal grounds for abortion, but MPs avoid the issue.

A judge has questioned the lawfulness of most abortions.

Last year, 17,550 abortions were done, compared with 17,940 in 2008.

Mrs Chadwick's Abortion Reform Bill would take abortion out of the Crimes Act, making it solely a health matter and a choice for the patient, at least in the first part of pregnancy.

And the Greens did raise it as an issue in 2014.

emminou
May 25, 2006

Taitale posted:

You mean apart from opposing same-sex marriage, civil unions, the bill of rights act, prostitution law reform, the anti smacking bill and homosexual law reform?

Interesting that he opposed sex work reform, considering he's allegedly been a regular at a Wellington agency for a while. Although I guess male politicians advocating for policies that harm sex workers while using their services isn't exactly unheard of.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I thought all the new posts in the thread might have been about Helen Kelly's death, but no.

emminou
May 25, 2006

I thought Kim Dotcom had showed that the vast majority of clicks on Whale Oil were bots that Slater was using to drive himself up in search rankings or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emminou
May 25, 2006

The Schwa posted:

Jesus why have they got you doing that already

They're midway through construction directly opposite my flat and there were three people checking the steel framework out for damage this morning, I felt so bad for them. :(

• Locked thread