Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
Problem description: Attempting to pair a set of Bluetooth earbuds to my system such that they output the computer's audio.

Attempted fixes: Well, everything worked just fine when I first built the computer (a month or so ago) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 8.1. I installed the Bluetooth driver (along with the other requisite drivers) from the Asus (mobo manufacturer) website. Pairing went fine, and I was able to easily configure the earbuds to output audio without issue.

Something changed yesterday. Perhaps a Windows Update occurred and f'd it all up -- though I'm not sure. After fumbling around for a day trying to figure it out - I decided to simply format and start over. I followed the exact procedure when I initially built the machine -- but I'm still not able to control the earbuds. I can pair the earbuds - but after that, I can't control them.

First, I wanted to make sure the Bluetooth support service was running under "services.msc".

It was running.

Then, I noticed that "Bluetooth" was missing from Hardware and Sound. Thus preventing me from controlling the Bluetooth device:

The device is listed, however (Air-Fi Metro 2):

But when I right click on it and see its properties, I'm left with:

And when, after a reboot, I power on the Bluetooth device - Windows does this:

So -- it is connected - I just can't control it.

I've installed/reinstalled Broadcom's WIDCOMM software (from Asus) - as mentioned, formatted my computer multiple times, and thrown a good bit of technical prowess at this. I've reset the earbuds to factory settings, re-paired them countless times, and paired the earbuds to my phone successfully to ensure that they weren't the issue.

I seem to recall there was a non-Metro way to control your BT device. I thought that control was under a Bluetooth icon within the Control Panel. I remember there was an option under Sound->Playback Devices that listed the earbuds (as a Bluetooth audio connection) - but that no longer exists.

I feel like I'm dealing with a driver issue - but maybe I'm missing something simple.

Recent changes: Seemingly the issue cropped up without explanation. Perhaps a Windows Update occurred. Literally, one day it just stopped working.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro

System specs: Mobo: Asus Deluxe X99. Air-Fi Metro 2 Bluetooth earbuds.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
Solved it. Reseated the BT module. I didn't realize it wasn't soldered to the board.

• Locked thread