Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snodig
Oct 5, 2014
http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Are you triggered yet?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/whitest-oscars_n_6466052.html

Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and other white people kindly welcome you to the whitest Oscars since 1998. Yes, unfortunately, you read that right: Without a nod for David Oyelowo announced this morning (see white person Brad Pitt for help on that pronunciation) 2015 will be the worst year for diversity in Hollywood since the 70th annual ceremony.

This is especially troubling when you consider that last year's Oscars was a banner year with a Best Supporting Actress award for Lupita Nyong'o (and Steve McQueen taking home the Best Picture title). "Selma" is nominated in that category, so we may have a victory for Ava DuVernay, though that single nod hardly counts as redemption here. As Chris Rock can tell you, there are still far too few people of color in the industry, but at least one non-white person has been nominated each year in the four acting categories since the last whitest Oscars ever nearly two decades ago.

If there's a lesson to be learned here it's that we have a long way to go before we can truly talk about progress being made. Also: this sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
This is the oscars not a rap music award show jeez

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I'm glad. I'm glad because racism is good

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:
you're right tyler perry got robbed

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
everyone always strives for equality but when black people don't act as good and they don't make it to the acting championships all of a sudden equality is thrown out the window

Baxter
Sep 13, 2000
I too find this especially troubling.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:qq: everybody is supposed to get a trophy :qq:

Darse
Jan 14, 2008
Wake up young man.
Unfortunately Denzel wasn't in a decent enough movie this year, its not the academy's fault op.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Perhaps these actually WERE the best candidates in each category? Should a black actor/actress have been nominated for no other reason than their skin color? Give me a break.

Also Dick Poop was nominated and poop is brown so.....

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This is why we really need a playoff system.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imho they should nominate crash for bp again this year to prove the oscars aren't racist

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Just so we're all on the same page itt people who think the Oscars are/used to be some kind of extremely objective selection of the finest filmmaking of the previous year and not invariably informed by politics and social trends and the weird biases of the people voting are simple as hell

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I've already seen* Jennifer Lawrence's tits, there is literally no reason left to watch any Oscar related programming or coverage.

*raped

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
the oscars is a party for spoiled rich people. most of them are white.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

THE FUCKIN ROBOCOP posted:

:qq: everybody is supposed to get a trophy :qq:

lena dunham will soon show her "tits" to raise awareness.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Rambling Robot posted:

the oscars is a party for spoiled rich people. most of them are white.

It is not a meeting of trust fund kids, many of the people at the Oscars grew up from humble beginnings and worked extremely hard to get where they are in life. They are only spoiled if you are literally a starving African child and any white first world person looks like a billionaire, but I doubt that is the case with you.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

Apthous posted:

It is not a meeting of trust fund kids, many of the people at the Oscars grew up from humble beginnings and worked extremely hard to get where they are in life. They are only spoiled if you are literally a starving African child and any white first world person looks like a billionaire, but I doubt that is the case with you.

they sure are spoiled now.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Rambling Robot posted:

they sure are spoiled now.

Being an actor/musician is about the worst way to make a lot of money compared to the other ways to make a lot of money. People only become actors/musicians if they literally hate the world and want it to die.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't care, grand budapest hotel and birdman got best picture nominations. don't loving care gently caress off let me pretend to like these awards for 15 loving seconds or whenever neither of those movies win anything.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i didn't see a single movie in theaters this year and the only name i recognize in the OP is brad pitt

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Frog Act posted:

i didn't see a single movie in theaters this year and the only name i recognize in the OP is brad pitt

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
I love award shows because it's the best place to go for rich white people giving each other awards for making movies about the struggles of black people

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

b-pitt seems okay

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

I love award shows because it's the best place to go for rich white people giving each other awards for making movies about the struggles of black people

quote:

William Bradley Pitt was born in Shawnee, Oklahoma, to Jane Etta (née Hillhouse), a school counsellor, and William Alvin Pitt, who ran a trucking company.[4][5] T

quote:

The median income for a household in the city was $27,659, and the median income for a family was $35,690.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011

I love award shows because it's the best place to go for rich attractive white people giving each other awards for making movies about poor ugly people.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So is this the next thing I'm going to see everywhere on Twitter for the next couple of days until everyone gets bored with it and moves on to the next event in the Outrage Olympics?

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

quote:

Ed. Note: We went the very broadest interpretation and included Spanish actors Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Benicio Del Toro, Salma Hayek and Fernanda Montenegro as "non-white" actors, although as Hispanic actors they could arguably also be counted as "white" depending on how that's defined.

this is the same poo poo tumblr does. "are hispanics white today?" "nope not today because i want to rail about the evil cultural appropriations of the spanish language and burritos by white people"

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
linking to the huffington puffington should be a ban

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i honestly Don't Care how many black people win an oscar this year

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

this is a dumb, and also gay thing to get angry about

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

if a beam shot out of the tv and killed everyone who watched the oscars we might wake up to a better world the next day

CISMALES DID 9-11
Jun 5, 2002

chaotic good STEM major; INTJ
i would say analyzing things in terms of meeting quotas for rewards given to minorities, and arguing/debating the whiteness of "borderline" minorities is definitely the way racism will be cured thanks huffington post et al

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Torka posted:

I'm glad. I'm glad because racism is good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lmao excuse me, CRASH is the greatest movie ever made. it tells a deeply rivetting and empowering tale of racism across all points of views coming together. also the help and Blindside are loving goooddd

tho i wonder how many nomineees are lovely drama oscarbaits about struggles of being black in [x time period].

Xaris fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 15, 2015

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

if a beam shot out of the tv and killed everyone who watched the oscars we might wake up to a better world the next day

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Who gives a gently caress about the Oscars?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oscars clearly need affirmative action.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Cthulu Carl posted:

This is why we really need a playoff system.

The Oscars are the gay man's Superbowl.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
If anything, black people are probably happy not to be associated with a year of such lame and gay movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Pulp Can Move posted:

If anything, black people are probably happy not to be associated with a year of such lame and gay movies.

All the talented black people in America are at the BET awards which is basically a straight version of the Oscars with gunfights and strippers.

• Locked thread